version 0.8

Petr Kobalíček
Hi qooxdoo team,

I have some questions about 0.8 version. I'm now developing app in 0.7.3 but I sometimes look at the 0.8 progress and demos.

There are some things that I talk about:
1. The focus is changing background color. I know that this is probabbly optional and wanted, but this it's very annoying and if the control is large, the page is changing colors like chameleon :-)
2. The non-native scrollbars. Will be there option to disable this ? Qooxdoo is good framework, but these things are slowing it down. Scrolling is fastest and best implemented by browser itself and the look isn't much important for me.

I'm looking forward to new version, but I'm not interested for example in themes. For me is importang how much code I must write to do my work and there are some areas that can improve. For example I'm now writing form module, because I don't know how to create complex form in qooxdoo with some basic serialization (for example 10 editable items). Or I'm not understand why using setFormField() chages transport to Iframe ?

I'm mixed few things together, but you probabbly know what I'm tolking about :-)

Kind regards
Petr

Re: version 0.8

Alexander Back
Hi Petr,

petr kobalicek wrote:
> Hi qooxdoo team,
>
> I have some questions about 0.8 version. I'm now developing app in 0.7.3 but
> I sometimes look at the 0.8 progress and demos.
Nice to hear we have some early adaptors ;-)

> There are some things that I talk about:
> 1. The focus is changing background color. I know that this is probabbly
> optional and wanted, but this it's very annoying and if the control is
> large, the page is changing colors like chameleon :-)
You do not like chameleons, do you? ;-)
To be serious, you can easily change this behaviour through the themes
system and remove this change of the background color. The new modern
theme is still work in progress, so stay tuned ...

> 2. The non-native scrollbars. Will be there option to disable this ? Qooxdoo
> is good framework, but these things are slowing it down. Scrolling is
> fastest and best implemented by browser itself and the look isn't much
> important for me.
The reasons for this go beyond of "just the look". There several issues
for the implementation of non-native scrollbars. For more infos just
take a look at
http://qooxdoo.org/documentation/0.8/ui_overview#overflow_handling

> I'm looking forward to new version, but I'm not interested for example in
> themes. For me is importang how much code I must write to do my work and
> there are some areas that can improve.
I assume you will be pleased to hear that 0.8 will also assist you in
this case :)
-> http://qooxdoo.org/documentation/0.8/ui_overview#sensible_defaults

> For example I'm now writing form module, because I don't know how to create
 > complex form in qooxdoo with some basic serialization (for example 10
editable items).
 > Or I'm not understand why using setFormField() chages transport to
Iframe ?
Whenever you use "setFormField" the transport layer chooses that
implemenation which supports this. Currently the IframeTransport class
handles such requests. Internally a form with the corresponding fields
is created dynamically and submitted.
Does this answer your question? If not feel free to ask more ;-)

> I'm mixed few things together, but you probabbly know what I'm tolking about
> :-)
I do hope so :-)

cheers,
   Alex

Re: version 0.8

Petr Kobalíček
Alex, thanks for reply:-)

2008/6/30 Alexander Back <[hidden email]>:
Hi Petr,

petr kobalicek wrote:
> Hi qooxdoo team,
>
> I have some questions about 0.8 version. I'm now developing app in 0.7.3 but
> I sometimes look at the 0.8 progress and demos.
Nice to hear we have some early adaptors ;-)

> There are some things that I talk about:
> 1. The focus is changing background color. I know that this is probabbly
> optional and wanted, but this it's very annoying and if the control is
> large, the page is changing colors like chameleon :-)
You do not like chameleons, do you? ;-)
To be serious, you can easily change this behaviour through the themes
system and remove this change of the background color. The new modern
theme is still work in progress, so stay tuned ...

Theme issue is done for me, your response is great (It's probably my fault, because I'm not looked at theming and appearances).

Chameleons are ok :-)

> 2. The non-native scrollbars. Will be there option to disable this ? Qooxdoo
> is good framework, but these things are slowing it down. Scrolling is
> fastest and best implemented by browser itself and the look isn't much
> important for me.
The reasons for this go beyond of "just the look". There several issues
for the implementation of non-native scrollbars. For more infos just
take a look at
http://qooxdoo.org/documentation/0.8/ui_overview#overflow_handling

Ok, I'm not know all javascript and browser problems, this is reason I'm using qooxdoo ;-) But maybe here is question to use native scrollbars if browser implements them bug-free, but this can be done later of course :)

> I'm looking forward to new version, but I'm not interested for example in
> themes. For me is importang how much code I must write to do my work and
> there are some areas that can improve.
I assume you will be pleased to hear that 0.8 will also assist you in
this case :)
-> http://qooxdoo.org/documentation/0.8/ui_overview#sensible_defaults
Nice, layouts are sometimes buggy, but I'm now using mainly vertical and horizontal box layouts with resizable panes and this works fine for me :)

> For example I'm now writing form module, because I don't know how to create
 > complex form in qooxdoo with some basic serialization (for example 10
editable items).
 > Or I'm not understand why using setFormField() chages transport to
Iframe ?
Whenever you use "setFormField" the transport layer chooses that
implemenation which supports this. Currently the IframeTransport class
handles such requests. Internally a form with the corresponding fields
is created dynamically and submitted.
Does this answer your question? If not feel free to ask more ;-)

This was issue for me. I'm using Pylons on server side and I don't know why Iframe transport didn't work for me. I'm created my own request and response, based on qx.io.remote.Request and qx.io.remote.Response that works. It's probably my specific request and response objects, because I'm always returning data as { "result": ..., "error": ... } JSON format, so some things are very specific, but basic idea is to serialize named parameters as POST.

Here is the code I'm using (It's extracted):
  construct: function(vUrl, vMethod, vResponseType)
  {
    this.base(arguments,
      vUrl,
      vMethod || qx.net.Http.METHOD_POST,
      vResponseType || "application/json");

    this._post = {};
  },

  members:
  {
    // [Post]

    setPostParameter: function(name, param)
    {
      this._post[name] = param;
    },

    getPostParameter: function(name)
    {
      return (this._post[name] !== undefined) ? this._post[name] : null;
    },

    addPostParameter: function(name, param)
    {
      if (this._post[name] !== undefined)
      {
        if (qx.util.Validation.isValidArray(this._post[name]))
          this._post[name].push(param);
        else
          this._post[name] = [ this._post[name], param ];
      }
      else
      {
        this._post[name] = param;

    addPostParameters: function(params)
    {
      for (var name in params)
      {
        this.addPostParameter(name, params[name]);

    removePostParameter: function(name, parameter)
    {
      if (this._post[name] !== undefined) delete this._post[name];
    },

    clearPostParameters: function()
    {
      this._post = {};
    },

    generatePostData: function()
    {
      var name, param;
      var a = [];

      for (name in this._post)
      {
        parameter = this._post[name];

        if (qx.util.Validation.isValidArray(parameter))
        {
          // Arrays parameter
          var i, len = parameter.length;
          for (var i = 0; i < len; i++)
          {
            a.push(encodeURIComponent(name) + "=" + encodeURIComponent(parameter[i]));
        else
        {
          // Normal parameter
          a.push(encodeURIComponent(name) + "=" + encodeURIComponent(parameter));

      return a.join("&");
    },

    updatePostData: function()
    {
      this.setData(this.generatePostData());
    },

    // [Send]

    send: function()
    {
      // Set post data from parameters only if there is not data
      if (!this.getData()) this.updatePostData();

      // Call super class
      this.base(arguments);
    }
  };

This code 100% works for me. I'm using maily setPostParameters() method with some serializing API. Finally, the call looks like this: req.setPostParameters(this._form.getData());

If there is something evil with my solution, please send me what, worked fine in latest opera, IE7 and Firefox3.

> I'm mixed few things together, but you probabbly know what I'm tolking about
> :-)
I do hope so :-)

:)
And sorry for my English, I'm learning it, but programming more :-))

cheers,
  Alex

Re: version 0.8

Sebastian Werner
petr kobalicek schrieb:

> Hi qooxdoo team,
>
> I have some questions about 0.8 version. I'm now developing app in 0.7.3
> but I sometimes look at the 0.8 progress and demos.
>
> There are some things that I talk about:
> 1. The focus is changing background color. I know that this is probabbly
> optional and wanted, but this it's very annoying and if the control is
> large, the page is changing colors like chameleon :-)
> 2. The non-native scrollbars. Will be there option to disable this ?
> Qooxdoo is good framework, but these things are slowing it down.
> Scrolling is fastest and best implemented by browser itself and the look
> isn't much important for me.

Alex has already answered most of the questions. Just one additional
note. The scrolling itself is quite native (so rendered by the browser)
- we only render the scrollbars our own and these are rendered using the
fastest possible mode (assembler like DOM access ;))

Sebastian

> I'm looking forward to new version, but I'm not interested for example
> in themes. For me is importang how much code I must write to do my work
> and there are some areas that can improve. For example I'm now writing
> form module, because I don't know how to create complex form in qooxdoo
> with some basic serialization (for example 10 editable items). Or I'm
> not understand why using setFormField() chages transport to Iframe ?
>
> I'm mixed few things together, but you probabbly know what I'm tolking
> about :-)
>
> Kind regards
> Petr

> just about anything Open Source.

Re: version 0.8

Alexander Back
Hi Petr,

petr kobalicek wrote:
> This was issue for me. I'm using Pylons on server side and I don't know why
> Iframe transport didn't work for me. I'm created my own request and
> response, based on qx.io.remote.Request and qx.io.remote.Response that
> works. It's probably my specific request and response objects, because I'm
> always returning data as { "result": ..., "error": ... } JSON format, so
> some things are very specific, but basic idea is to serialize named
> parameters as POST.
Do you have took a look at the python backend implemenation? Maybe this
will help clarifying some of your issues.

  > This code 100% works for me. I'm using maily setPostParameters()
method with
> some serializing API. Finally, the call looks like this:
> req.setPostParameters(this._form.getData());
>
> If there is something evil with my solution, please send me what, worked
> fine in latest opera, IE7 and Firefox3.
To me your code looks good and though it is also working I have no more
recommendations to make ;)

cheers,
   Alex