rpc

johnd
I'm a bit lost.

I assume there are standard rpc protocols like xml/rpc and jsonrpc.
Shouldn't I be able to make a method on a server that can be accessed
by qooxdoo and not have to have qooxdoo libs on the server?

For example, I have an api using twisted rpc, can I call the stuff in
it using qooxdoo?

Re: rpc

Derrell Lipman
On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 17:29, John de la Garza <[hidden email]> wrote:
I assume there are standard rpc protocols like xml/rpc and jsonrpc.
Shouldn't I be able to make a method on a server that can be accessed
by qooxdoo and not have to have qooxdoo libs on the server?

For example, I have an api using twisted rpc, can I call the stuff in
it using qooxdoo?

There is a a JSON-RPC class in qooxdoo that issues (slightly modified) JSON-RPC Version 1 requests to an arbitrary JSON-RPC server. In qooxdoo-contrib, we also have a number of JSON-RPC servers that can run on your server side, but you need not use them. There is also a Server Writer's Guide that details the requirements of the server-side component. We also have plans to ultimately move to compatibility with the recently-released JSON-RPC Version 2, but don't yet have a committed date for when that will be accomplished. When we do complete that, it will be for full compliance with the spec, with no qooxdoo-isms. (Actually the primary qooxdoo-ism in the current implementation has been deprecated and is off by default. The only other one IIRC is that our client code passes a "service" parameter is that is not in the Version 1 spec. I suppose if you were using a fully Version 1 compliant server side, you'd just pass anything at the client, and ignore the "service" parameter at the server, and all would work fine.

I believe that we don't have an XML-RPC class at present.

See the API docs for class qx.io.remote.Rpc. If you want to implement your own lower-layer RPC implementation, than you'll be interested in qx.io.remote.Request.

Hope that answers your questions.