remocular is almost ready for release

oetiker
I spent another day hacking on remocular

  http://tobi.oetiker.ch/test/remocular/build/#ACT=RUN;PLG=RemOcular::Plugin::MpStat;interval=1;rounds=20

the canvas cell renderer works now even on IE (had to apply the
excanvas magic on the new dom nodes by hand).

If you are interesed in the code for canvas cellrenderer have a look at
the cellrenderer and cellplotter directories in

  http://oss.oetiker.ch/optools/browser/remocular/client/source/class/remocular/ui/table

The canvas cellrenderer uses a callback to define the rendering it
should do ...

cheers
tobi

http://it.oetiker.ch [hidden email] ++41 62 775 9902 / sb: -9900

Re: remocular is almost ready for release

Petr Kobalíček
Hi,

interesting renderer, but license is not acceptable for me. But thanks
for demonstration, it's nice to see it in action.

--
Best regards
- Petr Kobalicek <http://kobalicek.com>

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 11:26 PM, Tobias Oetiker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I spent another day hacking on remocular
>
>  http://tobi.oetiker.ch/test/remocular/build/#ACT=RUN;PLG=RemOcular::Plugin::MpStat;interval=1;rounds=20
>
> the canvas cell renderer works now even on IE (had to apply the
> excanvas magic on the new dom nodes by hand).
>
> If you are interesed in the code for canvas cellrenderer have a look at
> the cellrenderer and cellplotter directories in
>
>  http://oss.oetiker.ch/optools/browser/remocular/client/source/class/remocular/ui/table
>
> The canvas cellrenderer uses a callback to define the rendering it
> should do ...
>
> cheers
> tobi
>

> --
> Tobi Oetiker, OETIKER+PARTNER AG, Aarweg 15 CH-4600 Olten, Switzerland
> http://it.oetiker.ch [hidden email] ++41 62 775 9902 / sb: -9900

Re: remocular is almost ready for release

oetiker
Hi Peter,

Today Petr Kobalí?ek wrote:

> Hi,
>
> interesting renderer, but license is not acceptable for me. But thanks
> for demonstration, it's nice to see it in action.

Did I say anything about the licensing of the cellrender? If there
is sufficient interesst, I will be makeing it into a qooxdoo
contrib with the usual trimmings.

cheers
tobi

http://it.oetiker.ch [hidden email] ++41 62 775 9902 / sb: -9900

Re: remocular is almost ready for release

Petr Kobalíček
Oh sorry, I read GPL and made conclusion:)

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 6:31 AM, Tobias Oetiker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
> Today Petr Kobalí?ek wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> interesting renderer, but license is not acceptable for me. But thanks
>> for demonstration, it's nice to see it in action.
>
> Did I say anything about the licensing of the cellrender? If there
> is sufficient interesst, I will be makeing it into a qooxdoo
> contrib with the usual trimmings.
>
> cheers
> tobi
>
> --
> Tobi Oetiker, OETIKER+PARTNER AG, Aarweg 15 CH-4600 Olten, Switzerland
> http://it.oetiker.ch [hidden email] ++41 62 775 9902 / sb: -9900

Best regards
- Petr Kobalicek <http://kobalicek.com>

Re: remocular is almost ready for release

oetiker
Hi Petr,

Today Petr Kobalí?ek wrote:

> Oh sorry, I read GPL and made conclusion:)

This is because I intend to publish the complete work under GPL
while, no problem with its parts being publised LGPL/EPL

> On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 6:31 AM, Tobias Oetiker <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi Peter,
> >
> > Today Petr Kobalí?ek wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> interesting renderer, but license is not acceptable for me. But thanks
> >> for demonstration, it's nice to see it in action.
> >
> > Did I say anything about the licensing of the cellrender? If there
> > is sufficient interesst, I will be makeing it into a qooxdoo
> > contrib with the usual trimmings.
> >
> > cheers
> > tobi
cheers
tobi

http://it.oetiker.ch [hidden email] ++41 62 775 9902 / sb: -9900

Re: remocular is almost ready for release

Awesome! I like the bubble menu.

Best Fabian

> I spent another day hacking on remocular
>
>   http://tobi.oetiker.ch/test/remocular/build/#ACT=RUN;PLG=RemOcular::Plugin::MpStat;interval=1;rounds=20
>
> the canvas cell renderer works now even on IE (had to apply the
> excanvas magic on the new dom nodes by hand).
>
> If you are interesed in the code for canvas cellrenderer have a look at
> the cellrenderer and cellplotter directories in
>
>   http://oss.oetiker.ch/optools/browser/remocular/client/source/class/remocular/ui/table
>
> The canvas cellrenderer uses a callback to define the rendering it
> should do ...
>
> cheers
> tobi

1&1 Internet AG - Web Technologies
Ernst-Frey-Straße 9 · DE-76135 Karlsruhe
Telefon: +49 721 91374-6784
[hidden email]

Amtsgericht Montabaur / HRB 6484
Vorstände: Henning Ahlert, Ralph Dommermuth, Matthias Ehrlich, Thomas Gottschlich, Robert Hoffmann, Markus Huhn, Hans-Henning Kettler, Dr. Oliver Mauss, Jan Oetjen

Re: remocular is almost ready for release

Stefan Volbers
Hi Tobi,

great you got it running even with excanvas. Fabian is right, the ui
update rocks! You should consider dual licensing it, selling a
commercial version; remocular might become server admin's best friend.

Greetings,
Stefan

Today Stefan Volbers wrote:

> Hi Tobi,
>
> great you got it running even with excanvas. Fabian is right, the
> ui update rocks! You should consider dual licensing it, selling a
> commercial version; remocular might become server admin's best
> friend.

well I (maybe stupidly) beleive in the sale of service and not
licenses, hence the GPL license :-) My (cunning) plan is, to
attract more 'enduser' attention by doing a directly userfacing
tool with a powerful plugin interface as opposed to my classic
rrdtool work which is sitten way too low in the stack for gaining
decent tracktion with individuals apart form developers and my
(cool) sponsors.

cheers
tobi

> Greetings,
> Stefan
>
> On 15.12.2009 10:49, Fabian Jakobs wrote:
> > Awesome! I like the bubble menu.
> >
> > Best Fabian
> >> I spent another day hacking on remocular
> >>
> >>    http://tobi.oetiker.ch/test/remocular/build/#ACT=RUN;PLG=RemOcular::Plugin::MpStat;interval=1;rounds=20
> >>
> >> the canvas cell renderer works now even on IE (had to apply the
> >> excanvas magic on the new dom nodes by hand).
> >>
> >> If you are interesed in the code for canvas cellrenderer have a look at
> >> the cellrenderer and cellplotter directories in
> >>
> >>    http://oss.oetiker.ch/optools/browser/remocular/client/source/class/remocular/ui/table
> >>
> >> The canvas cellrenderer uses a callback to define the rendering it
> >> should do ...
> >>
> >> cheers
> >> tobi

http://it.oetiker.ch [hidden email] ++41 62 775 9902 / sb: -9900

Re: remocular is almost ready for release

Stefan Volbers
Sounds like your plan works out, so there is nothing wrong with selling
service (I fact I do it too).
GPLing your app and maybe even LGPL-qooxdoo-contributing would IMHO
definitely gather attention; I'd love to hear more from remocular.

Greetings,
Stefan

On 15.12.2009 13:51, Tobias Oetiker wrote:

> Today Stefan Volbers wrote:
>
>> Hi Tobi,
>>
>> great you got it running even with excanvas. Fabian is right, the
>> ui update rocks! You should consider dual licensing it, selling a
>> commercial version; remocular might become server admin's best
>> friend.
>
> well I (maybe stupidly) beleive in the sale of service and not
> licenses, hence the GPL license :-) My (cunning) plan is, to
> attract more 'enduser' attention by doing a directly userfacing
> tool with a powerful plugin interface as opposed to my classic
> rrdtool work which is sitten way too low in the stack for gaining
> decent tracktion with individuals apart form developers and my
> (cool) sponsors.

Re: remocular is almost ready for release

Stefan Volbers
Ah, I forgot:

clicking the background logo with the link in IE, there is a javascript
error (build script line 11218).
The offending line reads:

}}else{return window.open(l,name,o);

This does not occur in Firefox (which gracefully opens the URL). Didn't
test other browsers.

HTH,

greetings,
Stefan

On 15.12.2009 13:51, Tobias Oetiker wrote:

> Today Stefan Volbers wrote:
>
>> Hi Tobi,
>>
>> great you got it running even with excanvas. Fabian is right, the
>> ui update rocks! You should consider dual licensing it, selling a
>> commercial version; remocular might become server admin's best
>> friend.
>
> well I (maybe stupidly) beleive in the sale of service and not
> licenses, hence the GPL license :-) My (cunning) plan is, to
> attract more 'enduser' attention by doing a directly userfacing
> tool with a powerful plugin interface as opposed to my classic
> rrdtool work which is sitten way too low in the stack for gaining
> decent tracktion with individuals apart form developers and my
> (cool) sponsors.

Re: remocular is almost ready for release

My (cunning) plan is, to
attract more 'enduser' attention by doing a directly userfacing
tool with a powerful plugin interface as opposed to my classic
rrdtool work which is sitten way too low in the stack for gaining
decent tracktion

What?! - I'm really surprised to hear that, as RRDtool is one of the coolest tools I know of. I was actually expecting to see a book on it every other day.

T.

[...]

Hi Stefan,

hmmm the code for window open is realy simple:

           logo.addListener('click', function() {
                  qx.bom.Window.open('http://www.remocular.org/v/VERSION', 'remocular.org');
           });

does the IE say what is vexing it ?

cheers
tobi

Today thron7 wrote:

> > My (cunning) plan is, to
> > attract more 'enduser' attention by doing a directly userfacing
> > tool with a powerful plugin interface as opposed to my classic
> > rrdtool work which is sitten way too low in the stack for gaining
> > decent tracktion
>
> What?! - I'm really surprised to hear that, as RRDtool is one of the coolest
> tools I know of. I was actually expecting to see a book on it every other day.

I am lucky to have a bunch of quite active contributors for new
features and another bunch of companies who sponsor the project
(without imposing their agenda on me).

With Smokeping the situation was reversed, I have trouble finding
companies who sponsor the project, but I did do a bunch of customer
paid extensions for the tool (feeding them back into mainline).

cheers
tobi

On 15.12.2009 14:54, Tobias Oetiker wrote:

> Hi Stefan,
>
> hmmm the code for window open is realy simple:
>
>             logo.addListener('click', function() {
>                    qx.bom.Window.open('http://www.remocular.org/v/VERSION', 'remocular.org');
>             });
>

> does the IE say what is vexing it ?

NACK
there's only a notice about a run time error because of an invalid
argument (actually I run a german version on this machine, it says: "Es
ist ein Laufzeitfehler aufgetreten. Möchten Sie den Debugmodus starten?
Zeile: 11219 Fehler: Ungültiges Argument.").

Almost the same in a VM with IE6, except it adds the notice that the
error happens at character 8...

I must confess I never used qx.bom.Window.open, but instead window.open
quite often, always successfully; could you run a test with window.open
to see if this fails too?

Greetings,
Stefan

Re: remocular is almost ready for release

oetiker
Hi Stefan,

I found the problem ... I should not call the target window
'remocular.org' it seems that ie does not like '.' characters in
target names ... will fix for next update ...

cheers
tobi

Today Stefan Volbers wrote:

> On 15.12.2009 14:54, Tobias Oetiker wrote:
> > Hi Stefan,
> >
> > hmmm the code for window open is realy simple:
> >
> >             logo.addListener('click', function() {
> >                    qx.bom.Window.open('http://www.remocular.org/v/VERSION', 'remocular.org');
> >             });
> >

> > does the IE say what is vexing it ?
>
> NACK
> there's only a notice about a run time error because of an invalid
> argument (actually I run a german version on this machine, it says: "Es
> ist ein Laufzeitfehler aufgetreten. Möchten Sie den Debugmodus starten?
> Zeile: 11219 Fehler: Ungültiges Argument.").
>
> Almost the same in a VM with IE6, except it adds the notice that the
> error happens at character 8...
>
> I must confess I never used qx.bom.Window.open, but instead window.open
> quite often, always successfully; could you run a test with window.open
> to see if this fails too?
>
> Greetings,
> Stefan

http://it.oetiker.ch [hidden email] ++41 62 775 9902 / sb: -9900

Re: remocular is almost ready for release

fritz
On Tue, 15 Dec 2009, Tobias Oetiker wrote:

> Today thron7 wrote:
>
>>> My (cunning) plan is, to attract more 'enduser' attention by doing a
>>> directly userfacing tool with a powerful plugin interface as opposed to
>>> my classic rrdtool work which is sitten way too low in the stack for
>>> gaining decent tracktion
>>
>> What?! - I'm really surprised to hear that, as RRDtool is one of the
>> coolest tools I know of. I was actually expecting to see a book on it
>> every other day.
>
> I am lucky to have a bunch of quite active contributors for new
> features and another bunch of companies who sponsor the project
> (without imposing their agenda on me).
>
> With Smokeping the situation was reversed, I have trouble finding
> companies who sponsor the project, but I did do a bunch of customer
> paid extensions for the tool (feeding them back into mainline).

The point Tobi is trying to make is, that RRDtool is used by people to
create applications that are visible my many people. And therefore these
applications "get the fame" although they wouldn't be possible (or at least
much more difficult without RRDtool). E.g., Cacti is the layer everybody
(users, sysadmins, managers, etc) looks at whereas RRDtool is mostly
"hidden" from the end user.

In a way I think it is a lot more rewarding to be the guy who makes all this
possible. From a marketing point of view the other side is probably more
helpful ... and Tobi is fortunate enough to be able to play sucessfully in
both worlds ... ;-)

Cheers,
Fritz

--
Oetiker+Partner AG tel: +41 62 775 9903 (direct)
Fritz Zaucker                        +41 62 775 9900 (switch board)