qx application -> Adobe AIR

Jean-Baptiste BRIAUD -- Novlog
Hi,

I just read this post :
http://news.qooxdoo.org/adobe-air-powered-api-viewer

Does it mean in a near future we would be able to run qooxdoo application in the AIR runtime or transform it to an AIR application ?
I've no idea of the complexity of the task, but an automatic transformation from qx application to AIR application would be a great value.

Re: qx application -> Adobe AIR

Helder Magalhães

Hi Jean,

Jean-Baptiste BRIAUD -- Novlog wrote:

> I just read this post :
> http://news.qooxdoo.org/adobe-air-powered-api-viewer
>
> Does it mean in a near future we would be able to run qooxdoo application
> in the AIR runtime or transform it to an AIR application ?

Apparently not. AFAIK it's the way around: AIR had a simple but somehow
insecure way of easily embedding stuff which I played with (I've commented
in that blog post [1]). Unfortunately, to "fix" the security issues [2],
Adobe has change quite a lot the way it worked right after this cool
qooxdoo's experiment.

Jean-Baptiste BRIAUD -- Novlog wrote:

> I've no idea of the complexity of the task, but an automatic
> transformation from qx application to AIR application would be a great
> value.

You are invited to try as well (and share your findings, naturally). I've
tried a bit updating qooxdoo AIR support to conform to the 1.0 release (a
while ago) but I bumped in several (apparently hard to figure out) issues.
I've also completely gave up when I found out AIR had left out SVG support
in the embedded WebKit which is part of the framework... (BTW: there is an
AIR-related, somehow recent, thread [3] in Ajaxian in case someone is
interested -- the comments hold some SVG comments as well. ;-)

Cheers,
 Helder

[1] http://news.qooxdoo.org/adobe-air-powered-api-viewer#comment-6832
[2] either that or to make it harder to easily embed DHTML applications,
favoring (Adobe) Flash-based applications... :-|
[3]
http://ajaxian.com/archives/adobe-air-2-gets-an-updated-engine-and-memory-profiling

Re: qx application -> Adobe AIR

Jean-Baptiste BRIAUD -- Novlog

Any news from that ?

On Jan 7, 2010, at 14:15 , Jean-Baptiste BRIAUD -- Novlog wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just read this post :
> http://news.qooxdoo.org/adobe-air-powered-api-viewer
>
> Does it mean in a near future we would be able to run qooxdoo application in the AIR runtime or transform it to an AIR application ?
> I've no idea of the complexity of the task, but an automatic transformation from qx application to AIR application would be a great value.

Re: qx application -> Adobe AIR

Christian Schmidt
Hi Jean-Baptiste,

>> Does it mean in a near future we would be able to run qooxdoo application in the AIR runtime or transform it to an AIR application ?
>> I've no idea of the complexity of the task, but an automatic transformation from qx application to AIR application would be a great value.

No, it's like Helder sad in the last mail. The AIR implementation
changed and changes doesn't allow to run a qooxdoo application in AIR.
(Have also a look at the comments form the blog post
http://news.qooxdoo.org/adobe-air-powered-api-viewer#comments)

If you are interested to run qooxdoo in an desktop environment, so
please have a look at Titanium [1].

Cheers,
Chris

[1] http://www.appcelerator.com/

--
Christian Schmidt
Software Entwickler

1&1 Internet AG - Web Technologies
Ernst-Frey-Straße 9 · DE-76135 Karlsruhe
[hidden email]

Amtsgericht Montabaur / HRB 6484
Vorstände: Henning Ahlert, Ralph Dommermuth, Matthias Ehrlich, Thomas Gottschlich, Robert Hoffmann, Markus Huhn, Hans-Henning Kettler, Dr. Oliver Mauss, Jan Oetjen

Re: [qooxdoo-devel] qx application -> Adobe AIR

Andreas Ecker
Howdy,

some add'tl info.

On Mon, 2010-01-18 at 14:02 +0100, Christian Schmidt wrote:

> Hi Jean-Baptiste,
>
> >> Does it mean in a near future we would be able to run qooxdoo application in the AIR runtime or transform it to an AIR application ?
> >> I've no idea of the complexity of the task, but an automatic transformation from qx application to AIR application would be a great value.
> >>
> No, it's like Helder sad in the last mail. The AIR implementation
> changed and changes doesn't allow to run a qooxdoo application in AIR.
> (Have also a look at the comments form the blog post
> http://news.qooxdoo.org/adobe-air-powered-api-viewer#comments)
>
> If you are interested to run qooxdoo in an desktop environment, so
> please have a look at Titanium [1].
>
> Cheers,
> Chris
>
> [1] http://www.appcelerator.com/

While there no longer is an automatic way to let a qooxdoo application
be packaged as an AIR app (it was an early experimental feature), you
can still, of course, create qooxdoo-based AIR apps (manually).

Due to changes of the AIR security model (a long time ago) you'd have to
run your qooxdoo app in the non-application sandbox. Unlike the
privileged application sandbox you'd have to setup a bridge so that you
could still call certain AIR APIs from your qooxdoo code. That is well
documented in the AIR docs, but you'd need to be careful about security
implications.

HTH,

Andreas

Re: [qooxdoo-devel] qx application -> Adobe AIR

Sebastian Werner-2
Not to say that running the qooxdoo app in the iframe leads to some
security strangeness e.g. special work is needed to allow cross domain
requests and accessing file APIs, native drag&drop etc. gets a lot
harder. What's really needed here is to get qooxdoo running inside the
application sandbox without any iframe.

This basically means one is not allowed to do any "eval" or "new
Function" anymore which currently mostly affects the property system
and the IO layer.

Cheers,
Sebastian