qooxdoo 2.1 and 2.0.3 released

Andreas Ecker-2
Dear qooxdoo community,

two new qooxdoo releases shipped today as planned! Besides a 2.0.3 patch
release a larger version qooxdoo 2.1 is available with many exciting
features. Please see the corresponding announcements:

http://news.qooxdoo.org/qooxdoo-2-1-released
http://news.qooxdoo.org/qooxdoo-2-0-3-released

Everyone is encouraged to upgrade. For your apps in production, you should
at least update to the patch release qooxdoo 2.0.3, which is a drop-in
replacement for the previous qooxdoo 2.0.x versions. To take advantage of
many improvements and new features please checkout qooxdoo 2.1.

Many thanks go to the framework core team for another awesome job, and the
community of contributors and users for their great support.

Please help to spread the news: leave comments to the blog post, tweet,
blog, tell your friends and colleagues. Appreciated!

Andreas

--
Andreas Ecker
Project Lead

Re: qooxdoo 2.1 and 2.0.3 released

elpix1

Congratulations and thanks to the Qooxdoo team
for this awesome framework !

Best regards,
Elemer.

> Dear qooxdoo community,
>
> two new qooxdoo releases shipped today as planned! Besides a 2.0.3 patch
> release a larger version qooxdoo 2.1 is available with many exciting
> features. Please see the corresponding announcements:
>
> http://news.qooxdoo.org/qooxdoo-2-1-released
> http://news.qooxdoo.org/qooxdoo-2-0-3-released
>
> Everyone is encouraged to upgrade. For your apps in production, you should
> at least update to the patch release qooxdoo 2.0.3, which is a drop-in
> replacement for the previous qooxdoo 2.0.x versions. To take advantage of
> many improvements and new features please checkout qooxdoo 2.1.
>
> Many thanks go to the framework core team for another awesome job, and the
> community of contributors and users for their great support.
>
> Please help to spread the news: leave comments to the blog post, tweet,
> blog, tell your friends and colleagues. Appreciated!
>
> Andreas
>
> --
> Andreas Ecker
> Project Lead
> http://qooxdoo.org

Re: qooxdoo 2.1 and 2.0.3 released

Benjamin Dreux
Great news !

I was trying to migrate my app to this news version.
But i've noticed that there is no 2.1 version in the maven central repository.
Does it take a while to propagate this new version?

2012/11/15 Elemer <[hidden email]>

Congratulations and thanks to the Qooxdoo team
for this awesome framework !

Best regards,
Elemer.

> Dear qooxdoo community,
>
> two new qooxdoo releases shipped today as planned! Besides a 2.0.3 patch
> release a larger version qooxdoo 2.1 is available with many exciting
> features. Please see the corresponding announcements:
>
> http://news.qooxdoo.org/qooxdoo-2-1-released
> http://news.qooxdoo.org/qooxdoo-2-0-3-released
>
> Everyone is encouraged to upgrade. For your apps in production, you should
> at least update to the patch release qooxdoo 2.0.3, which is a drop-in
> replacement for the previous qooxdoo 2.0.x versions. To take advantage of
> many improvements and new features please checkout qooxdoo 2.1.
>
> Many thanks go to the framework core team for another awesome job, and the
> community of contributors and users for their great support.
>
> Please help to spread the news: leave comments to the blog post, tweet,
> blog, tell your friends and colleagues. Appreciated!
>
> Andreas
>
> --
> Andreas Ecker
> Project Lead
> http://qooxdoo.org

Benjamin Dreux
Analyste-Programmeur
Chaire de logiciel libre-Finance Social et solidaire
UQAM
Montréal

Re: qooxdoo 2.1 and 2.0.3 released

Alexander Steitz

Hi Benjamin,

that’s one to-do item on my list :) I plan to upload it to maven central today. So stay tuned.

Regards,

  Alex

I was trying to migrate my app to this news version.

But i've noticed that there is no 2.1 version in the maven central repository.

Does it take a while to propagate this new version?

2012/11/15 Elemer <[hidden email]>

Congratulations and thanks to the Qooxdoo team
for this awesome framework !

Best regards,
Elemer.

> Dear qooxdoo community,
>
> two new qooxdoo releases shipped today as planned! Besides a 2.0.3 patch
> release a larger version qooxdoo 2.1 is available with many exciting
> features. Please see the corresponding announcements:
>
> http://news.qooxdoo.org/qooxdoo-2-1-released
> http://news.qooxdoo.org/qooxdoo-2-0-3-released
>
> Everyone is encouraged to upgrade. For your apps in production, you should
> at least update to the patch release qooxdoo 2.0.3, which is a drop-in
> replacement for the previous qooxdoo 2.0.x versions. To take advantage of
> many improvements and new features please checkout qooxdoo 2.1.
>
> Many thanks go to the framework core team for another awesome job, and the
> community of contributors and users for their great support.
>
> Please help to spread the news: leave comments to the blog post, tweet,
> blog, tell your friends and colleagues. Appreciated!
>
> Andreas
>
> --
> Andreas Ecker
> Project Lead
> http://qooxdoo.org

Benjamin Dreux
Analyste-Programmeur
Chaire de logiciel libre-Finance Social et solidaire
UQAM
Montréal

Re: qooxdoo 2.1 and 2.0.3 released

Alexander Steitz

Hi Benjamin,

I’ve just uploaded the SDK files (2.0.3 and 2.1) to the repository. They should by synced with maven central within the next 2 hours.

Regards,

  Alex

I was trying to migrate my app to this news version.

But i've noticed that there is no 2.1 version in the maven central repository.

Does it take a while to propagate this new version?

2012/11/15 Elemer <[hidden email]>

Congratulations and thanks to the Qooxdoo team
for this awesome framework !

Best regards,
Elemer.

> Dear qooxdoo community,
>
> two new qooxdoo releases shipped today as planned! Besides a 2.0.3 patch
> release a larger version qooxdoo 2.1 is available with many exciting
> features. Please see the corresponding announcements:
>
> http://news.qooxdoo.org/qooxdoo-2-1-released
> http://news.qooxdoo.org/qooxdoo-2-0-3-released
>
> Everyone is encouraged to upgrade. For your apps in production, you should
> at least update to the patch release qooxdoo 2.0.3, which is a drop-in
> replacement for the previous qooxdoo 2.0.x versions. To take advantage of
> many improvements and new features please checkout qooxdoo 2.1.
>
> Many thanks go to the framework core team for another awesome job, and the
> community of contributors and users for their great support.
>
> Please help to spread the news: leave comments to the blog post, tweet,
> blog, tell your friends and colleagues. Appreciated!
>
> Andreas
>
> --
> Andreas Ecker
> Project Lead
> http://qooxdoo.org

Benjamin Dreux
Analyste-Programmeur
Chaire de logiciel libre-Finance Social et solidaire
UQAM
Montréal

Re: qooxdoo 2.1 and 2.0.3 released

Benjamin Dreux
Great
Thanks for the fast response

2012/11/15 Alexander Steitz <[hidden email]>

Hi Benjamin,

I’ve just uploaded the SDK files (2.0.3 and 2.1) to the repository. They should by synced with maven central within the next 2 hours.

Regards,

  Alex

I was trying to migrate my app to this news version.

But i've noticed that there is no 2.1 version in the maven central repository.

Does it take a while to propagate this new version?

2012/11/15 Elemer <[hidden email]>

Congratulations and thanks to the Qooxdoo team
for this awesome framework !

Best regards,
Elemer.

> Dear qooxdoo community,
>
> two new qooxdoo releases shipped today as planned! Besides a 2.0.3 patch
> release a larger version qooxdoo 2.1 is available with many exciting
> features. Please see the corresponding announcements:
>
> http://news.qooxdoo.org/qooxdoo-2-1-released
> http://news.qooxdoo.org/qooxdoo-2-0-3-released
>
> Everyone is encouraged to upgrade. For your apps in production, you should
> at least update to the patch release qooxdoo 2.0.3, which is a drop-in
> replacement for the previous qooxdoo 2.0.x versions. To take advantage of
> many improvements and new features please checkout qooxdoo 2.1.
>
> Many thanks go to the framework core team for another awesome job, and the
> community of contributors and users for their great support.
>
> Please help to spread the news: leave comments to the blog post, tweet,
> blog, tell your friends and colleagues. Appreciated!
>
> Andreas
>
> --
> Andreas Ecker
> Project Lead
> http://qooxdoo.org

Benjamin Dreux
Analyste-Programmeur
Chaire de logiciel libre-Finance Social et solidaire
UQAM
Montréal

Benjamin Dreux
Analyste-Programmeur
Chaire de logiciel libre-Finance Social et solidaire
UQAM
Montréal

Re: qooxdoo 2.1 and 2.0.3 released

fritz
Dear Qooxdoo team,

another smooth migration from 2.0.2 to 2.1 on our side ...

Thanks!
Fritz

On Wed, 14 Nov 2012, Andreas Ecker wrote:

> Dear qooxdoo community,
>
> two new qooxdoo releases shipped today as planned! Besides a 2.0.3 patch
> release a larger version qooxdoo 2.1 is available with many exciting
> features. Please see the corresponding announcements:
>
> http://news.qooxdoo.org/qooxdoo-2-1-released
> http://news.qooxdoo.org/qooxdoo-2-0-3-released
>
> Everyone is encouraged to upgrade. For your apps in production, you should
> at least update to the patch release qooxdoo 2.0.3, which is a drop-in
> replacement for the previous qooxdoo 2.0.x versions. To take advantage of
> many improvements and new features please checkout qooxdoo 2.1.
>
> Many thanks go to the framework core team for another awesome job, and the
> community of contributors and users for their great support.
>
> Please help to spread the news: leave comments to the blog post, tweet,
> blog, tell your friends and colleagues. Appreciated!
>
> Andreas
>
> --
> Andreas Ecker
> Project Lead
> http://qooxdoo.org

Oetiker+Partner AG              tel: +41 62 775 9903 (direct)
Fritz Zaucker                        +41 62 775 9900 (switch board)
Aarweg 15                            +41 79 675 0630 (mobile)
CH-4600 Olten                   fax: +41 62 775 9905
Schweiz                         web: www.oetiker.ch

Re: qooxdoo 2.1 and 2.0.3 released

Peter Schneider
Hi guys,

I've an issue with the 2.1 release:

After migration and cleanup ('distclean' job) I ran the 'source' job, which
complained (warnings) about some "@type member" API-Docs (see below).
But it doesn't say anything about WHERE it found them...this is not helpful
at all :-/

I know what's the problem @ my code, but still I think the warnings could
improve!

Another thing is, that the generator python scripts [1] improve from release to
release, but there is no hint or automatic update by the 'migration' job that
tells you about this. A hint would be enough.

Regards,
  Peter

[1] generate.py located at the applications folder; first created/generated
    via /tool/bin/create-application.py -name:...

* Command line output below
d:\app\frontend>generate source

    Initializing: frontend
>>> Processing configuration

    Executing: source::source-script
    - Populating the cache, this may take some time

      - Warning: Unable to parse '@type' JSDoc entry: @type member
-
\
[...]

  - Sorting 636 classes
>>> Generate application
  - Processing 3 locales
  - Generate packages
  - Generate loader script
>>> Done (1m34.04)

* Command line output end

Re: qooxdoo 2.1 and 2.0.3 released

Thomas Herchenroeder
> Hi guys,
>
> I've an issue with the 2.1 release:
>
> After migration and cleanup ('distclean' job) I ran the 'source' job,
> which
> complained (warnings) about some "@type member" API-Docs (see below).
> But it doesn't say anything about WHERE it found them...this is not
> helpful
> at all :-/

The code parsing the JSDoc comments has no information about where the
comments come from. (It might even receive comments that are generated on
the fly, so there wouldn't be a file to relate it to). I considered it too
tedious to feed file information to the comments parser, especially when
it is usually so easy to locate offending entries by just grepping for the
strings from the console warnings.

> Another thing is, that the generator python scripts [1] improve from
> release to
> release, but there is no hint or automatic update by the 'migration' job
> that
> tells you about this. A hint would be enough.

Mh, which other improvements are you hinting at? - But anyway, all
important improvements are listed in the release notes [2]. To let the
migration job also warn about JSDoc comments might be doing too much. It
is probably much more important to let the users know about changes
affecting their *code* before worrying about comments, and even when
focusing on the former I'm not sure everybody is reading the information.

T.

[2] http://qooxdoo.org/project/release_notes/2.1#tooling1

> Regards,
>   Peter
>

> [1] generate.py located at the applications folder; first
> created/generated
>     via /tool/bin/create-application.py -name:...

> * Command line output below
> d:\app\frontend>generate source

>     Initializing: frontend

>     Executing: source::source-script
>     - Populating the cache, this may take some time

> [...]

Hi Thomas,

> [...] I considered it too
> tedious to feed file information to the comments parser, especially when
> it is usually so easy to locate offending entries by just grepping for the
> strings from the console warnings.
> [...]
Really? With THAT argument you can avoid implementing some things? Nice job you
have ;)
Really I am more concerned about 'issues' that might not be that easy to find
or interpret...

> [...]
> Mh, which other improvements are you hinting at? - But anyway, all
> important improvements are listed in the release notes [2]. To let the
> migration job also warn about JSDoc comments might be doing too much. It
> is probably much more important to let the users know about changes
> affecting their *code* before worrying about comments, and even when
> focusing on the former I'm not sure everybody is reading the information.
> [...]
I don't want everything to be done by the migration job. -That would really be
too much. I just couldn't find for example any hint/notice on the web about
the introduction of the '--verbose' command-line switch anywhere.
So I keep my strategy for updates/migrations:
"generate a dummy application project and compare the generated scripts"

Regards,
  Peter

On 11/19/2012 09:34 AM, Peter Schneider wrote:
> I don't want everything to be done by the migration job. -That would
> really be too much. I just couldn't find for example any hint/notice
> on the web about the introduction of the '--verbose' command-line
> switch anywhere.

The --verbose switch is probably as old as the generator itself:

http://manual.qooxdoo.org/2.1/pages/tool/generator/generator_usage.html#command-line-options

You will not find it introduced anywhere.

Re: qooxdoo 2.1 and 2.0.3 released

Peter Schneider
> [...]
> The --verbose switch is probably as old as the generator itself:
>
> http://manual.qooxdoo.org/2.1/pages/tool/generator/generator_usage.html#command-line-options
>
> You will not find it introduced anywhere.
> [...]
The switch at the "main" generator", yes!
But the "proxy generator" that is created via 'create-application' did not
have any code about that switch in it until some versions ago (I can not say
for sure whether it was introduced in 2.0.x or 2.1.x).
And because I'm not very fit at python, I can only copy the changes without
really understanding what they are doing[1] ;)

Anyway, as long as I keep up my procedure I'm getting any new "proxy-features"
or "-fixes".

> T.

Regards,
  Peter

[1] The "parser.add_option(...)" statement in the generator proxy might only
    set the default value, but I can't tell for sure --reason: Not enough
    python-knowledge.

On 11/19/2012 10:09 AM, Peter Schneider wrote:

>> [...]
>> The --verbose switch is probably as old as the generator itself:
>>
>> http://manual.qooxdoo.org/2.1/pages/tool/generator/generator_usage.html#command-line-options
>>
>> You will not find it introduced anywhere.
>> [...]
> The switch at the "main" generator", yes!
> But the "proxy generator" that is created via 'create-application' did not
> have any code about that switch in it until some versions ago (I can not say
> for sure whether it was introduced in 2.0.x or 2.1.x).

In fact it's the other way round. generate.py exposed the command line
options of generator.py (including the -v option). It didn't have code
for them as it didn't had to. But then we needed to handle some of them
in the proxy directly, and since then the proxy only shows its own, few
options, which is a regression [2].

[2] http://bugzilla.qooxdoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6985

> And because I'm not very fit at python, I can only copy the changes without
> really understanding what they are doing[1] ;)

There should be no need to inspect the Python code.

> Anyway, as long as I keep up my procedure I'm getting any new "proxy-features"
> or "-fixes".

When you upgrade existing applications to a new qooxdoo version you can
copy the generate.py from a fresh skeleton. But so far it was never
really necessary to do so.