qooxdoo 1.0 expected for tomorrow

Andreas Ecker
Hi,

this is to let you know that we expect to ship qooxdoo 1.0 tomorrow
(initially it was planned for today).

* The latest demo apps are online at http://demo.qooxdoo.org/devel/

* Also, the latest SDK (r21243) is available (after syncing, maybe you
have to retry later) at:
http://demo.qooxdoo.org/snapshot/qooxdoo-1.0-sdk-r21243.zip

Please note: The code base has been switch internally to the 1.0 version
name already to allow for an end-to-end SDK testing. This is NOT yet the
final 1.0!

Thanks for your testing and providing prompt feedback,

Andreas

--
Andreas Ecker
Project Lead

Re: qooxdoo 1.0 expected for tomorrow

fritz
Hi,

I just rebuilt one of our applications with the latest trunk and found no
problems, neither in the build process nor at run-time. Obviously, this is
not a rigerous test, but at least it keeps me confident in running the
latest and greatest Qooxdoo ...

One comment:

I am getting the following deprication message (for a while now and finally
bothered to track it down (it's in the Smart.js file of the smart table
model contrib):

   012123 The constant 'EVENT_TYPE_DATA_CHANGED' is deprecated: New code
          should not use this.  Instead, use the text string literally.

Looking it up in the API viewer I "guessed" that I should use the string
"dataChanged" instead (my first guess was to use "EVENT_TYPE_DATA_CHANGED").
So perhaps the deprecation message could be improved a bit:

  The constant 'EVENT_TYPE_DATA_CHANGED' is deprecated: New code
         should not use this.  Instead, use the text string 'dataChanged'
         literally.

Just a minor point, but it might save some people a couple of thoughts.

Cheers,
Fritz

P.S.: What's the idea behind using literal strings instead of constants,
       btw?

--
Oetiker+Partner AG tel: +41 62 775 99 03 (direct)
Fritz Zaucker                        +41 62 775 99 00 (switch board)

Re: qooxdoo 1.0 expected for tomorrow

Alexander Steitz
Hi Fritz,

On Wednesday 16 December 2009 Fritz Zaucker wrote:
> I just rebuilt one of our applications with the latest trunk and found no
> problems, neither in the build process nor at run-time. Obviously, this is
> not a rigerous test, but at least it keeps me confident in running the
> latest and greatest Qooxdoo ...
Thanks for the testing :)

> One comment:
>
> I am getting the following deprication message (for a while now and finally
> bothered to track it down (it's in the Smart.js file of the smart table
> model contrib):
>
>    012123 The constant 'EVENT_TYPE_DATA_CHANGED' is deprecated: New code
>           should not use this.  Instead, use the text string literally.
>
> Looking it up in the API viewer I "guessed" that I should use the string
> "dataChanged" instead (my first guess was to use
>  "EVENT_TYPE_DATA_CHANGED"). So perhaps the deprecation message could be
>  improved a bit:
>
>         The constant 'EVENT_TYPE_DATA_CHANGED' is deprecated: New code
>          should not use this.  Instead, use the text string 'dataChanged'
>          literally.
>
> Just a minor point, but it might save some people a couple of thoughts.
I just comitted this change to the framework. Thanks for watching out!

> P.S.: What's the idea behind using literal strings instead of constants,
>        btw?
We want to reduce/remove all constants in the framework. They do not have any
benefit. Additionally you can't recognize automatically any typos which may
lead to errors in your application.

cheers,
  Alex

Re: qooxdoo 1.0 expected for tomorrow

fritz
Hi Alex,

On Thu, 17 Dec 2009, Alexander Steitz wrote:

> On Wednesday 16 December 2009 Fritz Zaucker wrote:
>> I just rebuilt one of our applications with the latest trunk and found no
>> problems, neither in the build process nor at run-time. Obviously, this is
>> not a rigerous test, but at least it keeps me confident in running the
>> latest and greatest Qooxdoo ...
> Thanks for the testing :)

your're more than welcome. I implemented a prototype application for a
potential customer this morning, everything fine with the current release
for me.

>> Looking it up in the API viewer I "guessed" that I should use the string
>> "dataChanged" instead (my first guess was to use
>>  "EVENT_TYPE_DATA_CHANGED"). So perhaps the deprecation message could be
>>  improved a bit:
>>
>>         The constant 'EVENT_TYPE_DATA_CHANGED' is deprecated: New code
>>          should not use this.  Instead, use the text string 'dataChanged'
>>          literally.
>>
>> Just a minor point, but it might save some people a couple of thoughts.

> I just comitted this change to the framework. Thanks for watching out!

Cool/

>> P.S.: What's the idea behind using literal strings instead of constants,
>>        btw?
>
> We want to reduce/remove all constants in the framework. They do not have
> any benefit. Additionally you can't recognize automatically any typos
> which may lead to errors in your application.

Thanks for the explanation, seems to make sense.

Cheers,
Fritz