migration from 0.7 to 0.8

Derrell Lipman
I would like to port some code from 0.7 to 0.8 tomorrow (which will likely be "today" for those of you in Germany).  I can't locate any new documentation on migration to 0.8, and the migrator.py file in 0.8 only lists versions up to 0.7.2.  What process have you who've been doing migrations been following to make this process as easy as possible?

Re: migration from 0.7 to 0.8

thron7
Derrell Lipman wrote:
> I would like to port some code from 0.7 to 0.8 tomorrow (which will
> likely be "today" for those of you in Germany).  I can't locate any
> new documentation on migration to 0.8, and the migrator.py file in 0.8
> only lists versions up to 0.7.2. <http://0.7.2.>  What process have
> you who've been doing migrations been following to make this process
> as easy as possible?

Good morning, Derrell (guess it's morning on your side when you read this ;)

The general position as I understand it is that due to the changes of
underlying concepts there will be no full automatic migration. The
migrator script will be updated to work, but people will still have to
re-code by hand. To ease this process and keep applications functioning,
there will be a detailed process involving the 'qx.legacy' branch of the
class tree (that's what the migrator will cover) and interface classes
that allow to embed 0.7 widgets in 0.8 code. There are examples that
show how to do this (e.g.
http://demo.qooxdoo.org/devel/demobrowser/index.html#legacy~EmbedFuture_Layout.html).
And no, this hasn't been written down yet :-( .

As for further available documentation, there is sort of a check list on
the wiki for UI migration:
http://qooxdoo.org/about/release_notes/widget_migration_0.8

HTH,
Thomas

> Thanks,
>
> Derrell

Re: migration from 0.7 to 0.8

Derrell Lipman
On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 5:09 AM, thron7 <[hidden email]> wrote:
Derrell Lipman wrote:
> I would like to port some code from 0.7 to 0.8 tomorrow (which will
> likely be "today" for those of you in Germany).  I can't locate any
> new documentation on migration to 0.8, and the migrator.py file in 0.8
> only lists versions up to 0.7.2. <http://0.7.2.>  What process have
> you who've been doing migrations been following to make this process
> as easy as possible?

Good morning, Derrell (guess it's morning on your side when you read this ;)

Yup. :-)

As for further available documentation, there is sort of a check list on
the wiki for UI migration:
http://qooxdoo.org/about/release_notes/widget_migration_0.8

Thanks, Thomas.  I'll see what I can do with this.  I do notice at least one missing "simple renamings" mapping in that page:

  qx.client.Timer => qx.event.Timer

and were there other qx.client.* classes that moved as well?

Re: migration from 0.7 to 0.8

I notice a big difference between the "old" and "new" functions createDispatchEvent and fireEvent.  The former checks for hasEventListeners() while the latter does not.  Is this by intention or error of omission?  It certainly seems unnecessary for every caller to have to check for hasEventListeners() themselves, doesn't it?

Derrell

Derrell Lipman wrote:
> I would like to port some code from 0.7 to 0.8 tomorrow (which will
> likely be "today" for those of you in Germany).  I can't locate any
> new documentation on migration to 0.8, and the migrator.py file in 0.8
> only lists versions up to 0.7.2. <http://0.7.2.>  What process have
> you who've been doing migrations been following to make this process
> as easy as possible?

Good morning, Derrell (guess it's morning on your side when you read this ;)

The general position as I understand it is that due to the changes of
underlying concepts there will be no full automatic migration. The
migrator script will be updated to work, but people will still have to
re-code by hand. To ease this process and keep applications functioning,
there will be a detailed process involving the 'qx.legacy' branch of the
class tree (that's what the migrator will cover) and interface classes
that allow to embed 0.7 widgets in 0.8 code. There are examples that
show how to do this (e.g.
http://demo.qooxdoo.org/devel/demobrowser/index.html#legacy~EmbedFuture_Layout.html).
And no, this hasn't been written down yet :-( .

As for further available documentation, there is sort of a check list on
the wiki for UI migration:
http://qooxdoo.org/about/release_notes/widget_migration_0.8

HTH,
Thomas

> Thanks,
>
> Derrell

"There is nothing more difficult to plan, more doubtful of success, nor more dangerous to manage than the creation of a new system. For the initiator has the enmity of all who would profit by the preservation of the old system and merely lukewarm defenders in those who would gain by the new one." --Machiavelli, 1513

Re: migration from 0.7 to 0.8

Derrell Lipman schrieb:
> I notice a big difference between the "old" and "new" functions
> createDispatchEvent and fireEvent.  The former checks for
> hasEventListeners() while the latter does not.  Is this by intention
> or error of omission?  It certainly seems unnecessary for every caller
> to have to check for hasEventListeners() themselves, doesn't it?
"fireEvent" does check, whether there are event listeners registered. It
is just a bit below the surface in the event handling layer. You don't
have to check manually. You can however do check manually if e.g.
preparing the data sent along the event does take some time.

Best Fabian

> [...]
>     > http://moblin-contest.org/redirect.php?banner_id=100&url=/
>     <http://moblin-contest.org/redirect.php?banner_id=100&url=/>
>     >
>     >

>     challenge
>     Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK & win
>     great prizes
>     Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere in
>     the world
>     http://moblin-contest.org/redirect.php?banner_id=100&url=/
>     <http://moblin-contest.org/redirect.php?banner_id=100&url=/>

> "There is nothing more difficult to plan, more doubtful of success,
> nor more dangerous to manage than the creation of a new system. For
> the initiator has the enmity of all who would profit by the
> preservation of the old system and merely lukewarm defenders in those
> who would gain by the new one." --Machiavelli, 1513

1&1 Internet AG
Brauerstra├če 48
76135 Karlsruhe

Amtsgericht Montabaur HRB 6484

Vorstand: Henning Ahlert, Ralph Dommermuth, Matthias Ehrlich, Thomas Gottschlich, Matthias Greve, Robert Hoffmann, Markus Huhn, Oliver Mauss, Achim Weiss