keyInput event on alt-/ only in FireFox?

keyInput event on alt-/ only in FireFox?

Kenneth Tilton
Platform: Running qooxdoo 3.0 on Windows 8 (server and browsers)

I am trying to support Emacs-like key chords in my custom math editor. For example, I translate alt-/ to an inline division symbol.  Editing takes place in a a qx.ui.embed.Html widget where I have MathJax render TeX generated by my editor.

The alt-/ keychord works great on FireFox where I get a keyInput event with "/" as the keyIdentifier and 4 (alt) as the modifiers, but on Chrome 28.0.1500.95 m, Safari 5.1.7, and IE 10.09 no keyInput event is received.

What I do get is a keypress event only on the alt key being pressed, then a keydown event where the keyIdentifier is 'Undefined'. The keyDown event does offer a keyCode of 191 with 4 as the modifiers so I have a workaround, but then I have to write browser-specific code since the keyCodes are not standardized.

Is this something I can hack into qooxdoo myself, or are the browsers the problem?

Cheers, ken

ps. Nice work on qooxoo 3.0 minimizing the dom!

Re: keyInput event on alt-/ only in FireFox?

Alexander Steitz

Hi Ken,

the key abstraction layer is trying to getting things as conform as possible for all browsers. However, when it comes to the modifiers and key events being fired there might be issues concerning the event order and the infos you get across different browsers.

One last idea I have in mind: what about the “keyup” event? Otherwise I would tend to write a small portion of browser-specific code as first solution. It might be also a valid candidate for a bug report.

Regards,

  Alex

Re: keyInput event on alt-/ only in FireFox?

Kenneth Tilton
Thx for the input, Alex.

By the way, here is a playground test I set up: http://tinyurl.com/kkdsh7v

This confirms that FireFox works for me on Win8 and IE, Safari, and Chrome do not.

I imagine (and just confirmed) keyUp will work the same as keyDown and have the same problem: I can only get the keyCode.

I'll try some raw HTML and see what happens.

Thx, kenneth

On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 6:42 AM, Ken Tilton <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thx for the input, Alex.

By the way, here is a playground test I set up: http://tinyurl.com/kkdsh7v

This confirms that FireFox works for me on Win8 and IE, Safari, and Chrome do not.

I imagine (and just confirmed) keyUp will work the same as keyDown and have the same problem: I can only get the keyCode.

I'll try some raw HTML and see what happens.

definitely looks browser-specific.

-kt