incremental initialization

Burak Arslan-2
hi,

some screens we're designing with jsqt are getting complex, taking some
noticable time to load. so i think it's time to implement an incremental
initialization scheme.

i did look around to progressive namespace, but could not find much. did
i miss something, or should i go forward and move factory functions into
one-shot "appear" events?

second question, has anyone been dealing with so many widgets in one
screen that they need to recycle them, keeping only data in memory?

thanks
burak

Re: incremental initialization

Derrell Lipman

This is one of the primary uses of Progressive, when used with the function caller renderer (qx.ui.progressive.renderer.FunctionCaller). An example of this can be seen in the demobrowser, at http://demo.qooxdoo.org/current/demobrowser/#progressive~ProgressiveLoader.html

Derrell Lipman wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 03:29, Burak Arslan <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>

>     some screens we're designing with jsqt are getting complex, taking
>     some
>     noticable time to load. so i think it's time to implement an
>     incremental
>     initialization scheme.
>
>     i did look around to progressive namespace, but could not find much.
>

> This is one of the primary uses of Progressive, when used with the
> function caller renderer (qx.ui.progressive.renderer.FunctionCaller).
> An example of this can be seen in the demobrowser, at
> http://demo.qooxdoo.org/current/demobrowser/#progressive~ProgressiveLoader.html
> <http://demo.qooxdoo.org/current/demobrowser/#progressive%7EProgressiveLoader.html>

yes, but that's not what i'm looking for. i don't want the user to wait
for initialization. i'd simply like it to show an interactive screen as
soon as possible, and want to initialize widgets as they appear on the
screen.

one-shot appear events it is, then?

thanks a lot

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 08:24, Burak Arslan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Derrell Lipman wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 03:29, Burak Arslan <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>

>     some screens we're designing with jsqt are getting complex, taking
>     some
>     noticable time to load. so i think it's time to implement an
>     incremental
>     initialization scheme.
>
>     i did look around to progressive namespace, but could not find much.
>

> This is one of the primary uses of Progressive, when used with the
> function caller renderer (qx.ui.progressive.renderer.FunctionCaller).
> An example of this can be seen in the demobrowser, at
> http://demo.qooxdoo.org/current/demobrowser/#progressive~ProgressiveLoader.html
> <http://demo.qooxdoo.org/current/demobrowser/#progressive%7EProgressiveLoader.html>

yes, but that's not what i'm looking for. i don't want the user to wait
for initialization. i'd simply like it to show an interactive screen as
soon as possible, and want to initialize widgets as they appear on the
screen.

one-shot appear events it is, then?

I believe that anything that cna be done with one-shot appear events can be done more cleanly with Progressive. I think I'm not groking what you want. Maybe the incremental part loader feature of the generator is what you're looking for?

Derrel

Re: incremental initialization

John Spackman
Does it have to be an interactive screen?  An issue with delayed
initialisation is _when_ you get to initialise them - initialisation is an
expensive operation and your GUI will be clunky or frozen while
initialisation takes place (EG on a timer).  Also, some browsers do not
update the screen fast enough so you can find that the screen remains blank
until all the initialisation is done.

If the screen can be non-interactive (i.e. you just want a "loading please
wait..") you could put up an image with absolute positioning (I use an
animated GIF) and the form just appears on top of it when it's finished

John Spackman wrote:
> Does it have to be an interactive screen?  An issue with delayed
> initialisation is _when_ you get to initialise them - initialisation is an
> expensive operation and your GUI will be clunky or frozen while
> initialisation takes place (EG on a timer).  Also, some browsers do not
> update the screen fast enough so you can find that the screen remains blank
> until all the initialisation is done.

hi john,

this is valuable advice, thanks. i will further study the progressive
namespace.

best,

Burak Arslan schrieb:

> hi,
>
> some screens we're designing with jsqt are getting complex, taking some
> noticable time to load. so i think it's time to implement an incremental
> initialization scheme.
>
> i did look around to progressive namespace, but could not find much. did
> i miss something, or should i go forward and move factory functions into
> one-shot "appear" events?
>
> second question, has anyone been dealing with so many widgets in one
> screen that they need to recycle them, keeping only data in memory?

Pooling an recycling widgets can result in rather big performance
imrovements because the instantiation if new widgets is a pretty
expensive operation.

1&1 Internet AG - Web Technologies
Ernst-Frey-Straße 9 · DE-76135 Karlsruhe
Telefon: +49 721 91374-6784
[hidden email]

Amtsgericht Montabaur / HRB 6484
Vorstände: Henning Ahlert, Ralph Dommermuth, Matthias Ehrlich, Thomas Gottschlich, Robert Hoffmann, Markus Huhn, Hans-Henning Kettler, Dr. Oliver Mauss, Jan Oetjen