including libraries

Burak Arslan

hello everyone,

i have added the following top-level code to my config.json:

    ,"jobs" : {
        "libraries" : {
            "library" : [
                { "manifest" : "${QXLIB_PATH}/Manifest.json", "uri" :
"${QXLIB_URI}" }
            ]
           /*
           ,"include" : [ "arskom.*" ]
           */

upon running ./generate.py source, i get:

1)   - ! Shadowing job "libraries" with local one
   message, which would be expected. i don't know why it's shown as an
error.

2) errors like

     - ! Unknown class referenced: arskom.ReusableClass (in: ... )

   for classes defined in the library. the library has top-level
namespace defined as "arskom".

 - i see the library path after the "scanning libraries" line in
generator's output.
 - i don't see my classes included in ./generate.py -v source output.
 - running source-all, and/or uncommenting the include line above
doesn't change anything.

everything seems to be in order to me, but i'm clearly missing
something. any ideas?

best regards,
burak

Re: including libraries

thron7
hi burak,

Burak Arslan wrote:

> hello everyone,
>
> i have added the following top-level code to my config.json:
>
>     ,"jobs" : {
>         "libraries" : {
>             "library" : [
>                 { "manifest" : "${QXLIB_PATH}/Manifest.json", "uri" :
> "${QXLIB_URI}" }
>             ]
>            /*
>            ,"include" : [ "arskom.*" ]
>            */
>         }
>     }

you shouldn't need to list the qooxdoo framework library explicitly (i
suppose this is where QXLIB_PATH points to, right?!). this gets included
automatically. you only need to list libraries here if you have
additional libraries you want to work with, a contrib library or similar.

> upon running ./generate.py source, i get:
>
> 1)   - ! Shadowing job "libraries" with local one
>    message, which would be expected. i don't know why it's shown as an
> error.

it's not an error, it's a warning. just to alert people if they have
overridden a job involuntarily.

> 2) errors like
>
>      - ! Unknown class referenced: arskom.ReusableClass (in: ... )
>
>    for classes defined in the library. the library has top-level
> namespace defined as "arskom".

again, just a warning. "unknown" means not a class in an own class file
in one of the known libraries (this also shows up if you have multiple
class definitions in a single file). it's fine as long as the class is
present at run time.

>  - i see the library path after the "scanning libraries" line in
> generator's output.

which library, "arskom"?

>  - i don't see my classes included in ./generate.py -v source output.
>  - running source-all,

that really looks like it's not finding your library.

>  and/or uncommenting the include line above
> doesn't change anything.

the "include" key is misplaced. the "libraries" job is really just a
helper to extend the list of libraries you want to work with. if you
have set your "APPLICATION" macro in the top-level "let" section, you
shouldn't need that.

> everything seems to be in order to me, but i'm clearly missing
> something. any ideas?

which errors do you get at run time?

t.

> best regards,
> burak

Re: including libraries

Burak Arslan
hi thomas,

having interpreted the "!" as an error, i'd never tried to actually run the application. it was already working all this time!! :(.

may i suggest changing this convention so that it spells out whether it's a warning, error, praise, or something? it'd definitely contribute to the overall qooxdoo experience.

fyi, QXLIB_* is the path to the library that defines the "arskom" namespace, not to qooxdoo itself. we're supporting pre-qooxdoo js libraries of our own as well.

thanks for your time.

best wishes,
burak

thron7 wrote:
hi burak,

Burak Arslan wrote:
> hi thomas,
>
> having interpreted the "!" as an error, i'd never tried to actually
> run the application. it was already working all this time!! :(.
>
> may i suggest changing this convention so that it spells out whether
> it's a warning, error, praise, or something? it'd definitely
> contribute to the overall qooxdoo experience.

for the time being you might want to consider using the -q command line
switch which suppresses all messages below the error level. or,
alternatively, you can use your shell's STDOUT and STDERR streams to
separate between severe and not-so-severe output.

t.