htmlArea.setEditable(false);

Alexei Vinidiktov
Hello,

I'm trying to make an htmlarea non-editable. I've found the function setEditable and I've tried using it on the htmlarea but it doesn't seem to be working.

I'm using the function like this:

this.__htmlArea = new qx.ui.embed.HtmlArea(demoContent, null, "blank.html");
this.__htmlArea.setEditable(false);

What am I missing here?

I'm using qooxdoo 3.0.1 and I've tried this code in Safari, Opera and Google Chrome on Mac OS X.

--
Alexei Vinidiktov

Re: htmlArea.setEditable(false);

nminhtrung
Hi Alexei Vinidiktov,

Could you please give a specific playaround of your issue, actual result and your expected one?

Sincerely thanks,
Trung

Re: htmlArea.setEditable(false);

Alexei Vinidiktov
Hi Trung,

Did you mean playground?

I was unable to create a snippet that would work in the playground. htmlarea doesn't seem to agree with it.

What I need to be able to do is show rich html content (text) to the user and the user should be able to click any word of the text that he doesn't know and my app should be able to determine which word the user clicked and present him with a translation of that word and do other things with the word such as add it to a special list of unknown words for later study.

I thought I'd be able to use htmlarea for displaying html text to the user and tracking the words that the user clicks. I need it to be non-editable. The user should see the text but not be able to change it.

I've tried calling setEditable(false) on my htmlarea but the text remains editable. Is it a bug or am I doing it wrong?

Maybe I can use a different widget instead of htmlarea for my purposes? What are your suggestions?