how to add files to be distributed to config.json

how to add files to be distributed to config.json

oetiker
Experts,

I am writing this tool which includes a set of extra files for the
serverside functionality. In qooxdoo 0.7, all I had to do was add
the files to the APPLICATION_FILES variable. In 0.8 with
generator.py, this seems to work via the "copy-files" method. I
have managed to add a special target to my config.json file, for
this to happen, but I guess there is an easy way of integrating
this into the normal build target (which already copies index.html)

cheers
tobi

http://it.oetiker.ch [hidden email] ++41 62 775 9902 / sb: -9900

Re: [SPAM] how to add files to be distributed to config.json

Alexander Back
Hi Tobias,

Tobias Oetiker wrote:
> Experts,
>
> I am writing this tool which includes a set of extra files for the
> serverside functionality. In qooxdoo 0.7, all I had to do was add
> the files to the APPLICATION_FILES variable. In 0.8 with
> generator.py, this seems to work via the "copy-files" method. I
> have managed to add a special target to my config.json file, for
> this to happen, but I guess there is an easy way of integrating
> this into the normal build target (which already copies index.html)
Yes, there is already a build target available which performs this task.
It's called "build-files" and is called from the "build" job.
I guess the easiest way is to completely overwrite the "build-files" job
with re-definining it in your application config.json file.

Here is the complete "build-files" job which you can simply add to your
config.json and change it to your needs:

--snip--
"build-files" :
     {
       "extend" : ["common"],

       "copy-files" :
       {
         "files" :
         [
           "index.html"
         ],

         "target" : "${BUILD_PATH}"
--snip--

The "${BUILD_PATH} macro is defined during the "build" job process. You
do no have to worry about it :)

cheers,
   Alex

how to add files to be distributed to config.json

oetiker
Hi Alex,

hmmm I am still missing something ... here is my config.json file

{
  "name"    : "lisa08",

  "include" :
  [
    {
      "path" : "../../../../../../../../../usr/pack/qooxdoo-0.8svn-to/frontend/tool/data/config/application.json"
    }
  ],

  "let" :
  {
    "APPLICATION"  : "lisa08",
    "QOOXDOO_PATH" :
    "../../../../../../../../../usr/pack/qooxdoo-0.8svn-to/frontend/framework",
    "QOOXDOO_URI"  : "../${QOOXDOO_PATH}",
    "QXTHEME"      : "qx.theme.Modern",
    "API_EXCLUDE"  : ["qx.legacy.*"],
    "LOCALES"      : [ "en", "de" ],
    "ROOT"         : "."
  },

  "build-files" :
  {
    "extend" : ["common"],
    "copy-files" :
    {
      "files" :
      [
        "index.html","jsonrpc.cgi", "perl"
      ],
      "target" : "${BUILD_PATH}"

p.s any Idea why I am gettig a span tag ?

> Hi Tobias,
>
> Tobias Oetiker wrote:
> > Experts,
> >
> > I am writing this tool which includes a set of extra files for the
> > serverside functionality. In qooxdoo 0.7, all I had to do was add
> > the files to the APPLICATION_FILES variable. In 0.8 with
> > generator.py, this seems to work via the "copy-files" method. I
> > have managed to add a special target to my config.json file, for
> > this to happen, but I guess there is an easy way of integrating
> > this into the normal build target (which already copies index.html)
> Yes, there is already a build target available which performs this task.
> It's called "build-files" and is called from the "build" job.
> I guess the easiest way is to completely overwrite the "build-files" job
> with re-definining it in your application config.json file.
>
> Here is the complete "build-files" job which you can simply add to your
> config.json and change it to your needs:
>
> --snip--
> "build-files" :
>      {
>        "extend" : ["common"],
>
>        "copy-files" :
>        {
>          "files" :
>          [
>            "index.html"
>          ],
>
>          "target" : "${BUILD_PATH}"
>        }
>      },
> --snip--
>
> The "${BUILD_PATH} macro is defined during the "build" job process. You
> do no have to worry about it :)
>
> cheers,
>    Alex

http://it.oetiker.ch [hidden email] ++41 62 775 9902 / sb: -9900

Re: how to add files to be distributed to config.json

thron7
Hi Tobi!

Unfortunately, with the current build system it is not that
straight-forward as "overriding" imported jobs with local ones ... :-\.
But of course there is a way to achieve what you want.

Alex gave you the right direction in saying that you would want to
define your own "build-files" job. But as you did it you probably got a
"duplicate job" error, since now your local config file and the
application.json supply a job with the same name. Do the following:

- Rename your local job to something like "my-build-files". Now you have
to take care that it is also run.
- Create another local job that duplicates the "build" job from
base.json, say "my-build".
- In the "run" key of your "my-build" job replace the "build-files"
entry in the key with your local "my-build-files". This will run the
standard sub-jobs from application.json, but uses your "my-build-files"
in place of the standard "build-files".
- Then invoke the generator with your local "my-build" job. This should
get you what you want.

This is not ideal, and improving fine-grained job control on top of the
application.json is on our list of todo's :). Please report back if you
encounter further issues.

Cheers,
Thomas

> [...]
>>
>> Here is the complete "build-files" job which you can simply add to your
>> config.json and change it to your needs:
>>
>> --snip--
>> "build-files" :
>>      {
>>        "extend" : ["common"],
>>
>>        "copy-files" :
>>        {
>>          "files" :
>>          [
>>            "index.html"
>>          ],
>>
>>          "target" : "${BUILD_PATH}"
>>        }
>>      },
>> --snip--
>>
>> The "${BUILD_PATH} macro is defined during the "build" job process. You
>> do no have to worry about it :)
>>
>> cheers,
>>    Alex

Re: how to add files to be distributed to config.json

Thomas,

how about makeing the list of files to distribute configurable
via "let" ?

as for your description below: so it basically means I just copy
the whole build job, and just give it a different name ? not very
efficient it seems. Can you give me an actual example how you would
implement this with a minimal config.json file ?

cheers
tobi

Tobias Oetiker wrote:
> Thomas,
>
> how about makeing the list of files to distribute configurable
> via "let" ?

Of course, this would be possible. But in general I would prefer a
solution that uses job definitions, rather than flattening config values
out in 'let' macros (we had this galore in the 0.7 version).

> as for your description below: so it basically means I just copy
> the whole build job, and just give it a different name ? not very
> efficient it seems. Can you give me an actual example how you would
> implement this with a minimal config.json file ?

No, it's not just copying. I'm using your config file, as you posted it
in a previous mail:

{
  "name"    : "lisa08",

  "include" :
  [
    {
[...]

  "my-build" :
  {
    "run" :
      [
        "build-resources",
        "build-script",
        "my-build-files"
      ]

You're defining a local copy job and a local 'run' job that uses both
application.json jobs and the local job; you then do a 'generate.py
my-build'.

My idea for the future would be to just define a local 'build-files' job
that autmatically shaddows the one from application.json, so the default
"build" job automatically invokes the overridden build-files job, and
you could still invoke 'generate.py build'.

HTH,
Thomas

> [...]
>>>     "../../../../../../../../../usr/pack/qooxdoo-0.8svn-to/frontend/framework",
>>>     "QOOXDOO_URI"  : "../${QOOXDOO_PATH}",
>>>     "QXTHEME"      : "qx.theme.Modern",
>>>     "API_EXCLUDE"  : ["qx.legacy.*"],
>>>     "LOCALES"      : [ "en", "de" ],
>>>     "ROOT"         : "."
>>>   },
>>>
>>>   "build-files" :
>>>   {
>>>     "extend" : ["common"],
>>>     "copy-files" :
>>>     {
>>>       "files" :
>>>       [
>>>         "index.html","jsonrpc.cgi", "perl"
>>>       ],
>>>       "target" : "${BUILD_PATH}"
>>>     }
>>>   }
>>> }
>>>
>>> p.s any Idea why I am gettig a span tag ?

Re: how to add files to be distributed to config.json

Hi Thomas,

thanks for the example ... to me, the let mechanism ist some very
simple way for complex methods to provide configurability as it
already seems to be in use for locales and also for the api target.
It would seem logical to me when the build target had a similar
mechanism for telling it what to install ...

I guess the root of this problem is, that you did not provide a
mechanism for methods to be configurable in a non 'global' way.

cheers
tobi