german Umlaute in Translationfiles

Dirk Wellmann
Hi,

after long time of developing we translated our Application now to
german, but at compiletime we got some Messages, the App looks fine.

Errors,Messages:
    - Translation: de
      - Merging translation file...
./source/translation/de.po:47:16: ungültige Multibyte-Sequenz
./source/translation/de.po:47:17: ungültige Multibyte-Sequenz
./source/translation/de.po:55:16: ungültige Multibyte-Sequenz
./source/translation/de.po:55:17: ungültige Multibyte-Sequenz
msgmerge: es sind 4 fatale Fehler aufgetreten
      - Generating catalog...

why do we have these messages? The de.po was edited with JEdit,
Bufferoptions set to UTF-8.

Regards Dirk

Re: german Umlaute in Translationfiles

Peter Schneider
Hi Dirk,

I'm not familiar with JEdit, but I have experienced similar things with various
other editors, so here are my suggestions to track down the issue:

* Does the file (de.po) contain both DOS *and* UNIX line-ends? We had an editor
  which did exactly that! There should be only "0x0D 0x0A" pairs for DOS or
  only "0x0A" for UNIX...

* Does the file (de.po) include the BOM? If yes, try to remove it!
  I'm not sure if this still applies to the compiler of qooxdoo 0.7.x but
  that was an issue some time ago
  (for info on BOM, see http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byte_Order_Mark)

* Are *all* german umlauts producing that problem? If yes, would you mind
  posting the file (de.po)? Or send a private mail to me if it contains too
  many company secrets. You can have a non-disclosure agreement if you
  like ;)

Hope this helps,
  Peter

> Hi,
>
> after long time of developing we translated our Application now to
> german, but at compiletime we got some Messages, the App looks fine.
>
> Errors,Messages:
>     - Translation: de
>       - Merging translation file...
> ../source/translation/de.po:47:16: ungültige Multibyte-Sequenz
> ../source/translation/de.po:47:17: ungültige Multibyte-Sequenz
> ../source/translation/de.po:55:16: ungültige Multibyte-Sequenz
> ../source/translation/de.po:55:17: ungültige Multibyte-Sequenz
> msgmerge: es sind 4 fatale Fehler aufgetreten
>       - Generating catalog...
>
> why do we have these messages? The de.po was edited with JEdit,
> Bufferoptions set to UTF-8.
>
> Regards Dirk

Re: german Umlaute in Translationfiles

Peter Schneider
> Hi Dirk,
>
> I'm not familiar with JEdit, but I have experienced similar things with various
> other editors, so here are my suggestions to track down the issue:
>
> * Does the file (de.po) contain both DOS *and* UNIX line-ends? We had an editor
>   which did exactly that! There should be only "0x0D 0x0A" pairs for DOS or
>   only "0x0A" for UNIX...

    ...or only "0x0D" for MAC!

Sorry, sometimes I see the world less complicated than it really is ;)

/Peter

Re: german Umlaute in Translationfiles

Dirk Wellmann
Hi Peter,

could my Header be a problem:

# German translations for PACKAGE package.
# Copyright (C) 2008 THE PACKAGE'S COPYRIGHT HOLDER
# This file is distributed under the same license as the PACKAGE package.
# Automatically generated, 2008.
#
msgid ""
msgstr ""
"Project-Id-Version: PACKAGE VERSION\n"
"Report-Msgid-Bugs-To: \n"
"POT-Creation-Date: 2008-07-30 16:14+0200\n"
"PO-Revision-Date: 2008-06-07 11:18+0200\n"
"Last-Translator: Automatically generated\n"
"Language-Team: none\n"
"Plural-Forms: nplurals=2; plural=(n != 1);\n"

theres a line Content-Type with charset=ASCII, should that be UTF-8??

Regards

Dirk

Re: german Umlaute in Translationfiles

Peter Schneider
Hello Dirk,

Short answer: YES ;)
=============

Longer answer:
==============
I have just changed the header line of our *.po file to:

and it failed (as in your original post).
So your/our line should look like this:

to let it work! However, I have no idea why it created that wrong header in the
first place...

Hopefully this little thread helps others having the same problem, too.

Regards
  Peter

> Hi Peter,
>
> could my Header be a problem:
>
> # German translations for PACKAGE package.
> # Copyright (C) 2008 THE PACKAGE'S COPYRIGHT HOLDER
> # This file is distributed under the same license as the PACKAGE package.
> # Automatically generated, 2008.
> #
> msgid ""
> msgstr ""
> "Project-Id-Version: PACKAGE VERSION\n"
> "Report-Msgid-Bugs-To: \n"
> "POT-Creation-Date: 2008-07-30 16:14+0200\n"
> "PO-Revision-Date: 2008-06-07 11:18+0200\n"
> "Last-Translator: Automatically generated\n"
> "Language-Team: none\n"
> "Plural-Forms: nplurals=2; plural=(n != 1);\n"
>
> theres a line Content-Type with charset=ASCII, should that be UTF-8??
>
> Regards
>
> Dirk

Re: german Umlaute in Translationfiles

Dirk Wellmann
Hello Peter,

hey, that's it. I played arround with both lines content-type and content-transfer-encoding at the same time, that was a mistake. Only changing content-type and using JEdit with buffer-options "character-Encoding" set to "UTF-8" will make it.

So, thank you for your help, now our Application will have german "umlaute".

Regards

Dirk

Peter Schneider schrieb:
Hello Dirk,