focus signal in the Table widget

rsantiagopaz
Qooxdoo Developers:
i want to ask earnestly consider the posibility to add a signal focus to the Table object.
in some of my Qooxdoo programs I use many Tables in a single screen and is a very difficult for the user identify wich table have the focus. I try adding an indicator, but is a precarious solution does not cover all needs because in some scenarios it does not work. My knowledge of javascript and Qooxdoo does not allow me do it better by my self.

I hope they consider relevant to this application if it seems right. I look forward to any information about it. Thanks.

Re: focus signal in the Table widget

Alexander Steitz
Hi,

> i want to ask earnestly consider the posibility to add a signal focus
> to the  Table object.
Every widget does offer a "focus" event which the developer can use the get informed if the widget is focused. Does this suit your needs?

Just click at the "Inherited" checkbox at the API Viewer to get all the events/methods/properties of the class - including the inherited ones.

        http://demo.qooxdoo.org/current/apiviewer/#qx

> in some of my Qooxdoo programs I use many Tables in a single screen and
> is a  very difficult for the user identify wich table have the focus. I try
> adding  an indicator, but is a precarious solution does not cover all needs
> because in some scenarios it does not work. My knowledge of javascript and
> Qooxdoo does not allow me do it better by my self.
Just the "focus" event to distinguish.

--snip--
tableInstance1.addListener("focus", function(e) {
  // tableInstance1 has the focus
});
--snip--

Regards,
  Alex

Re: focus signal in the Table widget

Juan Matias Granda
we want (I am a Ramon friend) a "graphic focus" like TextField or
SelectBox Object.
if the Table dont have any rows and the Table get the focus we don't
have any graphic signal and the user lost where is the focus.

Grettings

2010/11/12 Alexander Steitz <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
>> i want to ask earnestly consider the posibility to add a signal focus
>> to the  Table object.
> Every widget does offer a "focus" event which the developer can use the get informed if the widget is focused. Does this suit your needs?
>
> Just click at the "Inherited" checkbox at the API Viewer to get all the events/methods/properties of the class - including the inherited ones.
>
>        http://demo.qooxdoo.org/current/apiviewer/#qx
>
>> in some of my Qooxdoo programs I use many Tables in a single screen and
>> is a  very difficult for the user identify wich table have the focus. I try
>> adding  an indicator, but is a precarious solution does not cover all needs
>> because in some scenarios it does not work. My knowledge of javascript and
>> Qooxdoo does not allow me do it better by my self.
> Just the "focus" event to distinguish.
>
> --snip--
> tableInstance1.addListener("focus", function(e) {
>  // tableInstance1 has the focus
> });
> --snip--
>
> Regards,
>  Alex

Juan Matias Granda
http://www.insulae.com.ar
GPG FINGERPRINT:459C 4A2D 330C CB8C 0C44 0C3A 572C CBCA 5457 508B

Re: focus signal in the Table widget

panyasan
I won't be able to give you code to do this, but you could

- make and appearance that inherits from  the appearance of the table
- change the decorator dynamically if the state "focused" is added - I would think that there is a decorator that does that for the textfield widget

It should be pretty straightforward, but you will have to read up on appearances.

If anyone can contribute code examples or correct me, please chime in...

C.

Re: focus signal in the Table widget

rsantiagopaz

sadly my knowledge about decorators, styles, css and related themes is very poor (like my english)..
I was trying, every month I trying, but I cant detect how draw that "blue ghost" around de widgets borders

But thanks your time panyasan.

Re: focus signal in the Table widget

Alexander Steitz
Hi,

decorators are used for borders and the like in qooxdoo. There a two ways how to implement your requirement. Either you implement it directly in your code or you extend your appearance / decorator themes. I describe the latter.

--snip--
// Appearance theme - "Appearance.js" file in your app

// modify the table appearance
"table" :
{
  alias : "widget",

  style : function(states)
  {
    return {
      decorator : states.focused ? "table-focused" : "table"
    };
--snip--

--snip--
// Decorator theme - "Decoratoion.js" file in your app

// add the "table-focused" decorator
"table-focused" :
{
  decorator : qx.ui.decoration.Single,

  style :
  {
    width : 1,
    color : "border-focused",
    style : "solid"
--snip--

The "border-focused" is an already defined color in qooxdoo which you can use for the focus visualization.

What basically happens is that you have to set another decorator if the widget is focused. For several changes of the widgets there a so-called "states" which are handed over to the appearance system and can be be used in the Appearance theme to react on changes at the UI. "focused" is one of them and you can easily use it to set/reset the decorator.

This is the URL to the playground (code example): http://tinyurl.com/2u2lvqd

Regards,
  Alex

> sadly my knowledge about decorators, styles, css and related themes is
> very
> poor (like my english)..
> I was trying, every month I trying, but I cant detect how draw that
> "blue
> ghost" around de widgets borders
>
> But thanks your time panyasan.

Re: focus signal in the Table widget

rsantiagopaz

thank yoy very much alex, this is a perfect solution for my problem.

For curiosity I need ask other question: Is posible, manipulating decorators, appareances files (or programatically) in a easy way, get exactly the same focus signal like the qx.ui.form.List widget, for example?
With yout answer now I understand a little little more, I am looking in Modern theme appareance and decoration.js for detect how List draw the signal focus.

I can see any table internal space or margin for draw the blue line focus.
You think it es posible for Tables, get the same signal focus? Or not?
sorry the english

Re: focus signal in the Table widget

Alexander Steitz
Hi,

> thank yoy very much alex, this is a perfect solution for my problem.
Good to hear that.

> For curiosity I need ask other question: Is posible, manipulating
> decorators, appareances files (or programatically) in a easy way, get
> exactly the same focus signal like the qx.ui.form.List widget, for
> example?
The list widget does use a more complex decorator which uses images to draw the decorator. So it might be a problem in terms that the decorator does not graphically fit.

> With yout answer now I understand a little little more, I am looking in
> Modern theme appareance and decoration.js for detect how List draw the
> signal focus.
>
> I can see any table internal space or margin for draw the blue line
> focus.
> You think it es posible for Tables, get the same signal focus? Or not?
It is possible with the code I mailed you before. If you want to use another decorator (e.g. the one the list uses) you simply have to change the code accordingly.

Regards,
  Alex