canvas tablecell renderer ... demo

oetiker
I am about to release "remocular - your remote eye in the cloud" it
sports a new table cell renderer for canvas cells which can display
little bits of graphics.

http://tobi.oetiker.ch/test/remocular/build/#ACT=RUN;PLG=MpStat;interval=1;rounds=10

cheers
tobi

http://it.oetiker.ch [hidden email] ++41 62 775 9902 / sb: -9900

Re: canvas tablecell renderer ... demo

Stefan Volbers
Hi Tobi,

your app looks fantastic.
Are you going to release the canvas cell renderer as a contrib? I'm sure
it would come in handy for many of us sooner or later.

I followed your link not only with firefox but also with IE7, and as
expected there were no inline canvas graphs; have you considered using
google's excanvas to support IE too? I succeeded very well in a browser
canvas charting scenario some months ago, with excanvas' help.

Greetings
Stefan

Today Stefan Volbers wrote:

> Hi Tobi,
>
> your app looks fantastic.
> Are you going to release the canvas cell renderer as a contrib? I'm sure
> it would come in handy for many of us sooner or later.

yes, the code is pretty generic ... and can be used outside of
remocular ... which I am going to release GPL ...

> I followed your link not only with firefox but also with IE7, and as
> expected there were no inline canvas graphs; have you considered using
> google's excanvas to support IE too? I succeeded very well in a browser
> canvas charting scenario some months ago, with excanvas' help.

I have tried a bit, but it seems that I did something wrong, since
nothing showed up ... is there a trick ?

cheers
tobi

> Greetings
> Stefan
>
> Tobias Oetiker wrote:
> > I am about to release "remocular - your remote eye in the cloud" it
> > sports a new table cell renderer for canvas cells which can display
> > little bits of graphics.
> >
> > http://tobi.oetiker.ch/test/remocular/build/#ACT=RUN;PLG=MpStat;interval=1;rounds=10
> >
> > cheers
> > tobi

http://it.oetiker.ch [hidden email] ++41 62 775 9902 / sb: -9900

qooxdoo works on the iPhone (Re: canvas tablecell renderer ... demo)

oetiker
> > Tobias Oetiker wrote:
> > > I am about to release "remocular - your remote eye in the cloud" it
> > > sports a new table cell renderer for canvas cells which can display
> > > little bits of graphics.
> > >
> > > http://tobi.oetiker.ch/test/remocular/build/#ACT=RUN;PLG=MpStat;interval=1;rounds=10

I just tested what happens when I launch remOcular on the iPhone ...
and Oh wonder, it JUST WORKS (tm) it seems qooxdoo has made some
pretty impressive advance ... very cool ... congrats to whoever
did this ...

Tobias Oetiker wrote:

> Today Stefan Volbers wrote:
>
>> Hi Tobi,
>>
>> your app looks fantastic.
>> Are you going to release the canvas cell renderer as a contrib? I'm sure
>> it would come in handy for many of us sooner or later.
>
> yes, the code is pretty generic ... and can be used outside of
> remocular ... which I am going to release GPL ...

This is *great* news! Sadly wouldn't be useful for my customers, but I'd
  like to see it in use for observing my own server (up to now I use an
rss feed).

>> I followed your link not only with firefox but also with IE7, and as
>> expected there were no inline canvas graphs; have you considered using
>> google's excanvas to support IE too? I succeeded very well in a browser
>> canvas charting scenario some months ago, with excanvas' help.
>
> I have tried a bit, but it seems that I did something wrong, since
> nothing showed up ... is there a trick ?

No, it's pretty simple (just like mentioned in the accompanying readme)
- have this jscript line in the index.[html|php|*] prior to loading your
app (and the excanvas script itself in place):
<!--[if IE]><script type="text/javascript" src="excanvas.js"> </script>
<![endif]-->

Consequently the canvas creating code in your script would no longer be
ignored.
License shouldn't be an issue neither.

I'd love to hear if you succeeded this way; if not, maybe I can help.

Greetings,
Stefan

PS there is a minor appearance issue in IE7 which I didn't notice in
firefox - weird transparency in the qooxdoo window's title bar and some
effect within the Task Selector buttons.

Today Stefan Volbers wrote:

> Tobias Oetiker wrote:
> > Today Stefan Volbers wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Tobi,
> >>
> >> your app looks fantastic.
> >> Are you going to release the canvas cell renderer as a contrib? I'm sure
> >> it would come in handy for many of us sooner or later.
> >
> > yes, the code is pretty generic ... and can be used outside of
> > remocular ... which I am going to release GPL ...
>
> This is *great* news! Sadly wouldn't be useful for my customers, but I'd
>   like to see it in use for observing my own server (up to now I use an
> rss feed).

why would it not be useful for your customers ?

> >> I followed your link not only with firefox but also with IE7, and as
> >> expected there were no inline canvas graphs; have you considered using
> >> google's excanvas to support IE too? I succeeded very well in a browser
> >> canvas charting scenario some months ago, with excanvas' help.
> >
> > I have tried a bit, but it seems that I did something wrong, since
> > nothing showed up ... is there a trick ?
>
> No, it's pretty simple (just like mentioned in the accompanying readme)
> - have this jscript line in the index.[html|php|*] prior to loading your
> app (and the excanvas script itself in place):
> <!--[if IE]><script type="text/javascript" src="excanvas.js"> </script>
> <![endif]-->
>
> Consequently the canvas creating code in your script would no longer be
> ignored.
> License shouldn't be an issue neither.
>
> I'd love to hear if you succeeded this way; if not, maybe I can help.

that is what I tried ... must have made some other mistake ... will
try again ...

> Greetings,
> Stefan
>
> PS there is a minor appearance issue in IE7 which I didn't notice in
> firefox - weird transparency in the qooxdoo window's title bar and some
> effect within the Task Selector buttons.

this is unchanged from qooxdoo ... do you see it in the playground
or the demobrowser too ?

Tobias Oetiker wrote:

>> This is *great* news! Sadly wouldn't be useful for my customers, but I'd
>>   like to see it in use for observing my own server (up to now I use an
>> rss feed).
>
> why would it not be useful for your customers ?

Windows servers, and network monitoring already done via windows apps.

>> Consequently the canvas creating code in your script would no longer be
>> ignored.
>> License shouldn't be an issue neither.
>>
>> I'd love to hear if you succeeded this way; if not, maybe I can help.
>
> that is what I tried ... must have made some other mistake ... will
> try again ...

Have you succeeded with the test cases delivered with excanvas?
In case you keep failing, I offer my assistance.

>> PS there is a minor appearance issue in IE7 which I didn't notice in
>> firefox - weird transparency in the qooxdoo window's title bar and some
>> effect within the Task Selector buttons.
>
> this is unchanged from qooxdoo ... do you see it in the playground
> or the demobrowser too ?

Good hint; not in /current/, but in /devel/ I do (just checked
http://demo.qooxdoo.org/devel/demobrowser/#widget~Window.html
).
So I suppose you used qooxdoo 1.0 beta or svn trunk. Makes me curious if
there are other side effects (haven't had time to try it myself up to now).

Greetings,
Stefan