break on error in Firebug in func gecko()

break on error in Firebug in func gecko()

Werner Thie
Hi all

A rather irritating break on error() seems to creep up the moment I have
qx.ui.form.TextField()'s visible on the page.

If in Firefox/Firebug (latest versions) is open and the cursor is moved
over a text field Firebug chokes with Break on Error:

'Permission denied to access property 'nodeType' from non-chrome context'

There is a function gecko(e) which tries to access
e.relatedTarget.nodeType wrapped in a try/catch

Am I doing something wrong? Drives me nuts because I habitually have
Firebug open...

Thxs, Werner

werner.vcf (311 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: break on error in Firebug in func gecko()

Thomas Herchenroeder

On 06/09/2010 01:53 PM, Werner Thie wrote:

> Hi all
>
> A rather irritating break on error() seems to creep up the moment I have
> qx.ui.form.TextField()'s visible on the page.
>
> If in Firefox/Firebug (latest versions) is open and the cursor is moved
> over a text field Firebug chokes with Break on Error:
>
> 'Permission denied to access property 'nodeType' from non-chrome context'
>
> There is a function gecko(e)

Where does it come from?

> which tries to access
> e.relatedTarget.nodeType wrapped in a try/catch
>
> Am I doing something wrong? Drives me nuts because I habitually have
> Firebug open...
>
> Thxs, Werner

> http://p.sf.net/sfu/thinkgeek-promo

Re: break on error in Firebug in func gecko()

Derrell Lipman
On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 10:28, thron7 <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 06/09/2010 01:53 PM, Werner Thie wrote:
> Hi all
>
> A rather irritating break on error() seems to creep up the moment I have
> qx.ui.form.TextField()'s visible on the page.
>
> If in Firefox/Firebug (latest versions) is open and the cursor is moved
> over a text field Firebug chokes with Break on Error:
>
> 'Permission denied to access property 'nodeType' from non-chrome context'
>
> There is a function gecko(e)

Where does it come from?

It appears to com from line 162 of qx.bom.Event.

On 06/09/2010 04:32 PM, Derrell Lipman wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 10:28, thron7 <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>

>     On 06/09/2010 01:53 PM, Werner Thie wrote:
>     > Hi all
>     >
>     > A rather irritating break on error() seems to creep up the moment
>     I have
>     > qx.ui.form.TextField()'s visible on the page.
>     >
>     > If in Firefox/Firebug (latest versions) is open and the cursor is
>     moved
>     > over a text field Firebug chokes with Break on Error:
>     >
>     > 'Permission denied to access property 'nodeType' from non-chrome
>     context'
>     >
>     > There is a function gecko(e)
>
>     Where does it come from?
>

> It appears to com from line 162 of qx.bom.Event.

Ah, yes (For the casual reader: There is no 'gecko(e)' function in
qooxdoo; this is just a variant switch where one of the map members is
called "gecko").

Well, judging from the comment that precedes this line this is a known
issue with FF, that's why it is wrapped in a try/catch (It even mentions
text fields). Unfortunately, Firebug catches these exceptions too,
that's why the break-on-all-errors is triggered. Werner: I would enable
break-on-all-errors only in dedicated situations, and use more specific
break points else. Probing things in a try/catch block is a common
technique (at least in some fields), and you wouldn't want to get hit by
those over and again when you try to debug your own application.

T.