application locking up

Ian Monroe
I'm porting the start of my little app to 0.8-beta1, on the suggestion
of this list to take advantage of the new layouting system.

Problems:
*this.debug() no longer works, it used to put messages in the Firebug
console. I know the code has been executed because Firebug does show a
couple of requests being completed. I tried turning off Firebug to see
if the popup would come up instead, but that didn't work.

*Firefox locks up and does one of those "Unresponsive Script" warnings
after a few seconds.

Any general ideas of how one would go about fixing such an issue? The
sample apps work so I'm pretty certain its my code. :)

Thanks,
Ian

The entire application code, I also use a XSPF library:

qx.Class.define("webrok.Application",
{
  extend : qx.application.Standalone,

  members :
  {
    main : function()
    {
        this.base(arguments);
        this.debug("hello world");
        var layout = new qx.ui.layout.VBox();
        var container = new qx.ui.container.Composite(layout);
 /*       dockLayout.setLocation(0, 0);
        dockLayout.setRight(0);
        dockLayout.setBottom(0);
        dockLayout.setBackgroundColor("white"); */

        var toolbar = new qx.ui.toolbar.ToolBar;
        var prevBtn = new qx.ui.toolbar.Button( "Previous",
"icon/16/actions/media-skip-backward.png" );
        var playBtn =  new qx.ui.toolbar.Button("Play",
"icon/16/actions/media-playback-start.png" );
        toolbar.add( prevBtn );
        toolbar.add( playBtn );
        container.add( toolbar );

        var playlistModel = new qx.ui.table.model.Simple();
        playlistModel.setColumns([ "#", "Title", "Artist", "Album", "Length" ]);

        var refreshPlaylist = new
qx.io.remote.Request("/ajax/savePlaylist", "GET", "text/plain");
        refreshPlaylist.addListener("completed", function( response ) {
            this.debug( "hello" +  response.getStatusCode() );
            if( response.getStatusCode() != 200 )
            {
                 this.error( "statuscode was: + " + response.getStatusCode() );
                return;
            }
            var playlist = new qx.io.remote.Request("/current.xspf",
"GET", "text/plain");
            playlist.addListener("completed", function( resp ) {
                var dom = XSPF.XMLfromString( resp.getContent() );
                var jspf = XSPF.toJSPF(dom);
                this.debug( jspf );
                this.debug( "the length:" + jspf.playlist.track.length );
                var rows = new Array();
                var tracks = jspf.playlist.track;
                for( var it = 0; it < tracks.length; it++ )
                {
                    var row = [tracks[it].trackNum, tracks[it].title,
tracks[it].creator, tracks[it].album, tracks[it].duration ]
                    rows.push( row );
                    this.debug( "pushing " + row );
                }
                playlistModel.addRows( rows );
            });
            playlist.send();
        });
        refreshPlaylist.send();

        var table = new qx.ui.table.Table(playlistModel);
        table.set(
        {
        //  width   : "100%"
          height  : "100%"
        });
        table.addListener( "cellDblclick", function( cellEvent ) {
            var req = new qx.io.remote.Request("/ajax/play?row=" +
cellEvent.getRow(), "GET", "text/plain");
            req.send();
        });
        container.add( table );
        this.getRoot().add(container, {edge:0});

Re: application locking up

Derrell Lipman
On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 3:56 PM, Ian Monroe <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm porting the start of my little app to 0.8-beta1, on the suggestion
of this list to take advantage of the new layouting system.

Problems:
*this.debug() no longer works, it used to put messages in the Firebug
console. I know the code has been executed because Firebug does show a
couple of requests being completed. I tried turning off Firebug to see
if the popup would come up instead, but that didn't work.

I believe you're hitting a generator problem.  The generator doesn't pull in the log appender class automatically right now.  (I posted a bug about this a day or two ago.)  To get the appender to load you just need to reference it.  You don't need to actually do anything with the reference; you just need something in your application that causes it to load.  Add this near the top of main():

      // Referencing the appender is necessary to get it to load.
      var appender = qx.log.appender.Native;

then your debug statements should start to display.

*Firefox locks up and does one of those "Unresponsive Script" warnings
after a few seconds.

I highly suspect that's a completely different issue.  You're doing something somewhat unusual, in that you're issuing a new Request inside of a different Request's callback.  That may cause you problems.  Why don't you try doing the secondary request via a timeout (qx.event.Timer.once would be appropriate).  You can use a timeout value of 0 so it occurs immediately upon completion of the current user code execution, but at least that way it's not tied up in the callback of the first request.

Re: application locking up

Ian Monroe
On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 7:50 PM, Derrell Lipman
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I believe you're hitting a generator problem.  The generator doesn't pull in
> the log appender class automatically right now.  (I posted a bug about this
> a day or two ago.)  To get the appender to load you just need to reference
> it.  You don't need to actually do anything with the reference; you just
> need something in your application that causes it to load.  Add this near
> the top of main():
>
>       // Referencing the appender is necessary to get it to load.
>       var appender = qx.log.appender.Native;

Thanks, will do.

> then your debug statements should start to display.
>

>> *Firefox locks up and does one of those "Unresponsive Script" warnings
>> after a few seconds.
>
> I highly suspect that's a completely different issue.  You're doing
> something somewhat unusual, in that you're issuing a new Request inside of a
> different Request's callback.  That may cause you problems.  Why don't you
> try doing the secondary request via a timeout (qx.event.Timer.once would be
> appropriate).  You can use a timeout value of 0 so it occurs immediately
> upon completion of the current user code execution, but at least that way
> it's not tied up in the callback of the first request.

Well in 0.7 it worked just as expected. I'll follow your suggestion
and file a bug if it fixes things.

Ian

Re: application locking up

Hugh Gibson-2
> *Firefox locks up and does one of those "Unresponsive Script"
> warnings after a few seconds.

This could be a Firebug problem. See
http://code.google.com/p/fbug/issues/detail?id=892

Make sure you are using Firebug 1.2b07 or later.

Hugh

Re: application locking up

Ian Monroe schrieb:

> On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 7:50 PM, Derrell Lipman
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I believe you're hitting a generator problem.  The generator doesn't pull in
>> the log appender class automatically right now.  (I posted a bug about this
>> a day or two ago.)  To get the appender to load you just need to reference
>> it.  You don't need to actually do anything with the reference; you just
>> need something in your application that causes it to load.  Add this near
>> the top of main():
>>
>>       // Referencing the appender is necessary to get it to load.
>>       var appender = qx.log.appender.Native;
>>

> Thanks, will do.
>

>> then your debug statements should start to display.
>>

>>> *Firefox locks up and does one of those "Unresponsive Script" warnings
>>> after a few seconds.
>>>
>> I highly suspect that's a completely different issue.  You're doing
>> something somewhat unusual, in that you're issuing a new Request inside of a
>> different Request's callback.  That may cause you problems.  Why don't you
>> try doing the secondary request via a timeout (qx.event.Timer.once would be
>> appropriate).  You can use a timeout value of 0 so it occurs immediately
>> upon completion of the current user code execution, but at least that way
>> it's not tied up in the callback of the first request.
>>

> Well in 0.7 it worked just as expected. I'll follow your suggestion
> and file a bug if it fixes things.
>
> Ian

We did not change any of the io.remote stuff in 0.8. If it worked this
way in 0.7 it should work in 0.8 as well.

1&1 Internet AG
Brauerstraße 48
76135 Karlsruhe

Amtsgericht Montabaur HRB 6484

Vorstand: Henning Ahlert, Ralph Dommermuth, Matthias Ehrlich, Thomas Gottschlich, Matthias Greve, Robert Hoffmann, Markus Huhn, Oliver Mauss, Achim Weiss

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 3:56 PM, Ian Monroe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>       // Referencing the appender is necessary to get it to load.
>       var appender = qx.log.appender.Native;
>
> then your debug statements should start to display.

This worked. Thanks. :)

>> *Firefox locks up and does one of those "Unresponsive Script" warnings
>> after a few seconds.
>
> I highly suspect that's a completely different issue.  You're doing
> something somewhat unusual, in that you're issuing a new Request inside of a
> different Request's callback.  That may cause you problems.  Why don't you
> try doing the secondary request via a timeout (qx.event.Timer.once would be
> appropriate).  You can use a timeout value of 0 so it occurs immediately
> upon completion of the current user code execution, but at least that way
> it's not tied up in the callback of the first request.

I just put them one after the other, and from the debugs I can see
that both operations are completed fine. But it still hangs and the
treeview is never shown.

Ian

Re: application locking up

Ian Monroe
On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 2:56 PM, Ian Monroe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>        table.set(
>        {
>        //  width   : "100%"
>          height  : "100%"
>        });

It turns out that table.setHeight( "100%" ); causes the hang up.

table.setHeight( "550px"); also locks up. (Though I'm not positive
what setHeight expects, the API docs don't say).

I'm guessing your not supposed to set a height with a layout, which makes sense.

I went back to the 0.8 GUI documentation and figured out the the Dock
layout would be better then VBox.

And now it works exactly how I want! :)

Ian

Re: application locking up

Derrell Lipman
On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 4:42 PM, Ian Monroe <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 2:56 PM, Ian Monroe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>        table.set(
>        {
>        //  width   : "100%"
>          height  : "100%"
>        });

It turns out that table.setHeight( "100%" ); causes the hang up.

table.setHeight( "550px"); also locks up. (Though I'm not positive
what setHeight expects, the API docs don't say).

I'm guessing your not supposed to set a height with a layout, which makes sense.

0.8 works quite differently than 0.7 in this respect.  In 0.8, a widget has attributes that control its size, e.g. width and height, while a layout has attributes that control where a widget is positioned, e.g. top and left.  It is also possible for the widget to allow the layout to control its size, for example, by not specifying a width but configuring the layout with both a left and right attribute.

You might do something like this:

var layout = new qx.ui.layout.HBox(5); // spacing of 5 pixels between elements in the horizontal box layout

var o = new qx.ui.basic.Atom("hello world");
o.setWidth(200);
layout.add(o);

o = new qx.ui.basic.Atom("This is a test");
layout.add(o, { flex : 2 } ); // flex width taking up 2 times as much space as a flex : 1

o = new qx.ui.basic.Atom("of the emergency broadcasting system");
layout.add(o, {flex : 1 } );

o = new qx.ui.core.Widget()
o.setWidth(200); // we want to leave 200 pixels of space at the right edge; flex fields will fill from end of "hello world" atom to this widget
layout.add(o);

Once a widget has been added to a layout, the widget can choose to reposition itself using o.setLayoutProperties()

The new sizing and layout system takes some getting used to but does seem to work well, and the layout problems of yesteryear should finally have gone away.

Re: application locking up

Sebastian Werner

Am 11.08.2008 um 22:42 schrieb Ian Monroe:

> On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 2:56 PM, Ian Monroe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>       table.set(
>>       {
>>       //  width   : "100%"
>>         height  : "100%"
>>       });
>
> It turns out that table.setHeight( "100%" ); causes the hang up.
>

> table.setHeight( "550px"); also locks up. (Though I'm not positive
> what setHeight expects, the API docs don't say).

One moment. Both value should be invalid in 0.8. These properties only
accepts integers for pixel width/height. This is normally checked by
the property system. Can you please double check that you use the
source version e.g. the one which has a variant of qx.debug set to
"on". Otherwise the property system do not present you with such errors.

Sebastian

> I'm guessing your not supposed to set a height with a layout, which
> makes sense.
>
> I went back to the 0.8 GUI documentation and figured out the the Dock
> layout would be better then VBox.
>
> And now it works exactly how I want! :)
>
> Ian

> challenge
> great prizes
> the world

Re: application locking up

Ian Monroe-2
On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 4:09 PM, Sebastian Werner
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 11.08.2008 um 22:42 schrieb Ian Monroe:
>
>> On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 2:56 PM, Ian Monroe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>       table.set(
>>>       {
>>>       //  width   : "100%"
>>>         height  : "100%"
>>>       });
>>
>> It turns out that table.setHeight( "100%" ); causes the hang up.
>>

>> table.setHeight( "550px"); also locks up. (Though I'm not positive
>> what setHeight expects, the API docs don't say).
>
> One moment. Both value should be invalid in 0.8. These properties only
> accepts integers for pixel width/height.

This sort of info should be directly in the API docs. :) I was also
looking for what hash arguments I could pass to the layout.add method
(suspecting that 'flex' was the solution to my problem, but wasn't
sure how to use it) but couldn't find this documented anywhere.

> This is normally checked by
> the property system. Can you please double check that you use the
> source version e.g. the one which has a variant of qx.debug set to
> "on". Otherwise the property system do not present you with such errors.

No I'm using the build system. I didn't realize there was such a
difference: I had problems with the source version but I blamed it on
the custom web server not liking all those requests at once. I'll use
the source version for debugging in the future. :)

Thanks,
Ian

Re: application locking up

Ian Monroe schrieb:

> On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 4:09 PM, Sebastian Werner
> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> It turns out that table.setHeight( "100%" ); causes the hang up.
>>>

>>> table.setHeight( "550px"); also locks up. (Though I'm not positive
>>> what setHeight expects, the API docs don't say).
>>>
>> One moment. Both value should be invalid in 0.8. These properties only
>> accepts integers for pixel width/height.
>>

> This sort of info should be directly in the API docs. :) I was also
> looking for what hash arguments I could pass to the layout.add method
> (suspecting that 'flex' was the solution to my problem, but wasn't
> sure how to use it) but couldn't find this documented anywhere.

The width property documented in the LayoutItem class. Maybe you missed
it because it was defined in a super class. It is already of type
"Integer" and you should should get a runtime error complaining about
the wrong type. The valid values for the "options" argument are
documented in the in each layout manager class but this is not really
obvious. I added a link from the "add" method to the layout namespace.

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 9:51 AM, Fabian Jakobs <[hidden email]> wrote:
The width property documented in the LayoutItem class. Maybe you missed
it because it was defined in a super class.

 Fabian, this seems to be a recurring theme.  Maybe the API documentation should default to *showing* superclass members instead of hiding them.  Although this adds to the amount of information presented, it lets newcomers see everything available in a widget.  And for those who only care about the details of a specific subclass, they can hide the superclass info.

Re: application locking up

Ian Monroe-2
On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 8:59 AM, Derrell Lipman
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 9:51 AM, Fabian Jakobs <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> The width property documented in the LayoutItem class. Maybe you missed
>> it because it was defined in a super class.
>
>  Fabian, this seems to be a recurring theme.  Maybe the API documentation
> should default to *showing* superclass members instead of hiding them.
> Although this adds to the amount of information presented, it lets newcomers
> see everything available in a widget.  And for those who only care about the
> details of a specific subclass, they can hide the superclass info.
>
> Derrell

Well or a "show all methods" page would be handy.

(However in this case I see that it was just me not being used to docs
or javascript docs in general. I had found the height property and I
now see that it clearly states it requests an integer. )

Ian

Re: application locking up

Derrell Lipman schrieb:

> On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 9:51 AM, Fabian Jakobs <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     The width property documented in the LayoutItem class. Maybe you
>     missed
>     it because it was defined in a super class.
>

>  Fabian, this seems to be a recurring theme.  Maybe the API
> documentation should default to *showing* superclass members instead
> of hiding them.  Although this adds to the amount of information
> presented, it lets newcomers see everything available in a widget.
> And for those who only care about the details of a specific subclass,
> they can hide the superclass info.

I think its not easy to get the balance here. I we would always show the
superclass members, it would be hard to find the "real" members of the
class. We already have the "Show inherited" button. I would prefer to
leave the default as it is now.

Ian Monroe schrieb:

> On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 8:59 AM, Derrell Lipman
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 9:51 AM, Fabian Jakobs <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> The width property documented in the LayoutItem class. Maybe you missed
>>> it because it was defined in a super class.
>>>
>>  Fabian, this seems to be a recurring theme.  Maybe the API documentation
>> should default to *showing* superclass members instead of hiding them.
>> Although this adds to the amount of information presented, it lets newcomers
>> see everything available in a widget.  And for those who only care about the
>> details of a specific subclass, they can hide the superclass info.
>>
>> Derrell
>>

> Well or a "show all methods" page would be handy.

At the top right corner of the API viewer is a button, which toggles
"show inherited". Maybe this is want you need. Please let us know if you
have problems with the API doc in 0.8.

Best Fabian

> (However in this case I see that it was just me not being used to docs
> or javascript docs in general. I had found the height property and I
> now see that it clearly states it requests an integer. )
>
> Ian

1&1 Internet AG
Brauerstraße 48
76135 Karlsruhe

Amtsgericht Montabaur HRB 6484

Vorstand: Henning Ahlert, Ralph Dommermuth, Matthias Ehrlich, Thomas Gottschlich, Matthias Greve, Robert Hoffmann, Markus Huhn, Oliver Mauss, Achim Weiss

Reference of GUI from Window/Dialog

S, Mohamed Raffi (Mohamed)
Hi,
        I launch an window as a dialog from a GUI instance.
How to get the reference of the GUI that launched the window/dialog?
I need to call a method on the GUI instance from the window instance
after closing the window/dialog.

I tried the following options, but it didn't work.
getOpener().methodX();
getWindowManager().getActiveWindow().methodX();

Or should I pass the reference of the GUI instance while contructing the
window instance?

Thanks,
Raffi

Re: application locking up

Ian Monroe-2
On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 4:45 AM, Fabian Jakobs <[hidden email]> wrote:
> At the top right corner of the API viewer is a button, which toggles
> "show inherited". Maybe this is want you need. Please let us know if you
> have problems with the API doc in 0.8.
>
> Best Fabian

Problem: never noticed this button.

I think having this off by default is the right thing though. See
JavaDoc for why. If its a recurring issue, its because you have a lot
of new blood who aren't used to the API. So its a good issue to have.
;)

Ian