Your favorite aspects of qooxdoo !?

12

Your favorite aspects of qooxdoo !?

Andreas Ecker
Hi all,

while approaching the qooxdoo 1.0 release due next week, we'd like to
gather some feedback from you about the strong points of qooxdoo.

This is valuable input (targeting about/feature pages, announcements)
for other users, particularly new users, to get to know about the most
important aspects of qooxdoo.

It is important that you don't really think about what _could_ be
relevant for others, but what were and are the most relevant aspects
_for you_ and your project specifically. Your individual "user's view"
if you will. This certainly includes technical aspects, of course, but
also non-technical ones like project and/or community.

Looking forward to your favorite "pros",

Andreas

--
Andreas Ecker
Project Lead

Re: Your favorite aspects of qooxdoo !?

Burak Arslan-2
Andreas Ecker wrote:
> Looking forward to your favorite "pros",

here are ours:

cross-browser (even for mobiles. a bit slow on my n97 though)
proper oo
proper events
nice tooling
plays nice with other js libs.

best,
burak

Re: Your favorite aspects of qooxdoo !?

Skar-3

> while approaching the qooxdoo 1.0 release due next week, we'd like to
> gather some feedback from you about the strong points of qooxdoo.

1) Easy to understand for a newbie, yet a power user can extend the
framework. Easy for newbies and experienced developers alike.
2) Exhaustive set of widgets, controls, models etc. There weren't a lot
of things missing for me.
3) Great help through the mailing list. Every one of my doubts not
solved via the docs or by reading the code, or my sheer ineptness were
cleared by some one on the list in a timely manner. I've seen
inhospitable answers towards newbies and developers in other mailing
lists. On qooxdoo, there are no flame wars, no sarcasm towards newbies
etc, makes it a great place :)
4) Great site with lots of documentation and example code.

My petty gripes are:
1) Trunk breaks small features some times. Like bug 3196 for eg. A
regression test/continuous integration test before including
features/change sets would be better and we can catch these bugs and
catch early too. Don't know if these UI things can be tested, that too
across all the supported browsers automatically.
2) A more easily extensible theme system. Of course I've tried most
other javascript frameworks, and qooxdoo is the BEST here IMO. But
doesn't mean we can't improve further. Adobe flex builder was the
easiest to style/theme among the RIA frameworks I've used. So we can
definitely improve in this regard.

Overall, it's one of the best pieces of s/w for building web apps :)

cheers,
skar.

The life so short, the craft so long to learn.

Re: Your favorite aspects of qooxdoo !?

Krycek
For me it's the way you built qooxdoo. It's unbelievable how far from the DOM we are, but hey, if we want to access the dom we still can, easily. All those mechanisms to deal with theming and decorations, focus, queues, binding, virtual, keyboard support, selection managers, tests are impressive and well thought.

When you (qooxdoo team) face a problem you don't simply create some workaround to deal with that. You create a thoughtful solution.

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 8:48 AM, skar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> while approaching the qooxdoo 1.0 release due next week, we'd like to
> gather some feedback from you about the strong points of qooxdoo.

1) Easy to understand for a newbie, yet a power user can extend the
framework. Easy for newbies and experienced developers alike.
2) Exhaustive set of widgets, controls, models etc. There weren't a lot
of things missing for me.
3) Great help through the mailing list. Every one of my doubts not
solved via the docs or by reading the code, or my sheer ineptness were
cleared by some one on the list in a timely manner. I've seen
inhospitable answers towards newbies and developers in other mailing
lists. On qooxdoo, there are no flame wars, no sarcasm towards newbies
etc, makes it a great place :)
4) Great site with lots of documentation and example code.

My petty gripes are:
1) Trunk breaks small features some times. Like bug 3196 for eg. A
regression test/continuous integration test before including
features/change sets would be better and we can catch these bugs and
catch early too. Don't know if these UI things can be tested, that too
across all the supported browsers automatically.
2) A more easily extensible theme system. Of course I've tried most
other javascript frameworks, and qooxdoo is the BEST here IMO. But
doesn't mean we can't improve further. Adobe flex builder was the
easiest to style/theme among the RIA frameworks I've used. So we can
definitely improve in this regard.

Overall, it's one of the best pieces of s/w for building web apps :)

cheers,
skar.

The life so short, the craft so long to learn.

Re: Your favorite aspects of qooxdoo !?

Heiko Stübner
Am Dienstag 08 Dezember 2009 schrieb Andreas Ecker:
> Looking forward to your favorite "pros",
- qooxdoos oo-model, it just feels natural when classes really look like
classes from a programmers pov :-)
- the property system - I even gone so far and did a php-implementation of it
- qooxdoos ability to also drive traditional pages using the lowlevel features
(one of our examples, an e-shop: www.aphrodite-dessous.de :-) )

Heiko

--
Nexst4 GmbH
Arndtstrasse 12

Tel.: +49 (351) 655 76 70
Fax:  +49 (351) 655 76 66
Mail: [hidden email]

Geschäftsführer: Alf Thiele, Matthias Schmidt
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Dresden
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Dresden HRB 27274

Refering member function

balage42-qooxdoo

Hello!

I try to use a member function as a callback for my P2P Ajax function. However, the function is always "undefined". Here is the relevant code of my application:

--------------8<-------------------------------------------

    main : function()
    {
        [...]
      // Create a button
      var button1 = new qx.ui.form.Button("First Button", "edemo/test.png");

      // Document is the application root
      var doc = this.getRoot();

      // Add button to document at fixed coordinates
      doc.add(button1, {left: 120, top: 50});

      // Add an event listener
      console.log( 'HandlerDef: '+this.__handleButton );
      button1.addListener("execute", this.__handleButton );
    },

    __fillTable : function( pRequest ) {
       alert( pRequest );
    },

    __handleButton : function(e) {
      var hrq = new edemo.AjaxTools();

      console.log( 'Callback: '+this.__fillTable );
      hrq.sendXMLHTTPRequest( '<QD_FETCH_TEST/>', this.__fillTable, null, false );
    }

--------------8<-------------------------------------------

Here the "HandlerDef" trace prints the right method and it is successfully assigned to the event handler, OTOH, when calling it and tracing the "callback" function, it returns undefined.

I am sure I missed some vital aspect of the OO framework, but can't see why doesn't sees the function? Or the this is "lost" (refers to another object) for a function when called as an event handler?

Thanks,
Balage

Re: Your favorite aspects of qooxdoo !?

John Spackman

Hi Andreas,

OO: The core OO of classes, interfaces, etc is brilliant and essential; it gives us the tools we have had in other languages (and considered essential) for the past 10-20 years.

Support: Every time I've had to ask a question I've always had a rapid and helpful response, from the 1&1 team and/or the community.  The community wouldn't be as involved as it is if you hadn't fostered that relationship and that's to your credit.

Professional (and funded) development team: I tend to keep quiet about whether I use open source code or not when talking to clients because they sometimes worry that OS is incomplete/unstable/unprofessional/etc so it's really important to be able to extol your virtues in this regard.  Given that it's my neck on the line if it doesn't work then it's important to me too!

Cross platform: It's been a long while since I routinely tested in all browsers because 99 times out of a hundred if it works on one browser it works on the rest.  That's a huge deal because of the effort that goes into a) testing 4 or 5 times over and b) finding and implementing a cure for an Internet Explorer browser specific bug can take so long.

Range of controls: Loads of controls, there’s only been one or two things I’ve had to write myself and then usually by combining or augmenting existing controls.  The API of controls has become more consistent over time and has shown itself to be a well-designed, usable one.

Documentation: usually the Achilles’ heel of OS products, this has been great since I started (0.7.x)

Stability/unit testing: Obviously there have been some API changes as Qx matured but generally it’s been a stable and powerful one.  Perhaps I’ve been lucky but I’ve only hit the odd bug or two when using actual releases, and the unit testing you added recently goes to the stability of the product and demonstrates how you’re going to continue to give me a product I can rely on.

We started out by writing a new version of a small-ish extranet website but the project has become a proof-of-concept for migrating a large 12yr old desktop app to be web-based and it would not be happening as soon as this without Qooxdoo.

John

while approaching the qooxdoo 1.0 release due next week, we'd like to

gather some feedback from you about the strong points of qooxdoo.

This is valuable input (targeting about/feature pages, announcements)

for other users, particularly new users, to get to know about the most

important aspects of qooxdoo.

It is important that you don't really think about what _could_ be

relevant for others, but what were and are the most relevant aspects

_for you_ and your project specifically. Your individual "user's view"

if you will. This certainly includes technical aspects, of course, but

also non-technical ones like project and/or community.

Looking forward to your favorite "pros",

Andreas

--

Andreas Ecker

Project Lead

http://qooxdoo.org

Return on Information:

Google Enterprise Search pays you back

Get the facts.

http://p.sf.net/sfu/google-dev2dev

Re: Refering member function

fritz
Try

       // Add an event listener
       console.log( 'HandlerDef: '+this.__handleButton );
       button1.addListener("execute", this.__handleButton, this );
                                                           ^^^

--
Oetiker+Partner AG tel: +41 62 775 99 03 (direct)
Fritz Zaucker                        +41 62 775 99 00 (switch board)

Re: Refering member function

Christian Schmidt
Hi Balage,

Your problem is this line:
button1.addListener("execute", this.__handleButton );

If the handler is called, "this" point to the button1 instance. To set
"this" to an other scope, use the third parameter. In your case:
button1.addListener("execute", this.__handleButton, this);

Cheers,
Chris

[hidden email] schrieb:

> Hello!
>
> I try to use a member function as a callback for my P2P Ajax function.
> However, the function is always "undefined". Here is the relevant code
> of my application:
>

> --------------8<-------------------------------------------
>
>     main : function()
>     {
>         [...]
>       // Create a button
>       var button1 = new qx.ui.form.Button("First Button",
> "edemo/test.png");
>
>       // Document is the application root
>       var doc = this.getRoot();
>
>       // Add button to document at fixed coordinates
>       doc.add(button1, {left: 120, top: 50});
>
>       // Add an event listener
>       console.log( 'HandlerDef: '+this.__handleButton );
>       button1.addListener("execute", this.__handleButton );
>     },
>
>     __fillTable : function( pRequest ) {
>        alert( pRequest );
>     },
>
>     __handleButton : function(e) {
>       var hrq = new edemo.AjaxTools();
>
>       console.log( 'Callback: '+this.__fillTable );
>       hrq.sendXMLHTTPRequest( '<QD_FETCH_TEST/>', this.__fillTable,
> null, false );
>     }
>
> --------------8<-------------------------------------------
>
> Here the "HandlerDef" trace prints the right method and it is
> successfully assigned to the event handler, OTOH, when calling it and
> tracing the "callback" function, it returns undefined.
>
> I am sure I missed some vital aspect of the OO framework, but can't
> see why doesn't sees the function? Or the this is "lost" (refers to
> another object) for a function when called as an event handler?
>
> Thanks,
> Balage

> Return on Information:
> Google Enterprise Search pays you back
> Get the facts.
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/google-dev2dev

Christian Schmidt
Software Entwickler

1&1 Internet AG - Web Technologies
Ernst-Frey-Straße 9 · DE-76135 Karlsruhe
[hidden email]

Amtsgericht Montabaur / HRB 6484
Vorstände: Henning Ahlert, Ralph Dommermuth, Matthias Ehrlich, Thomas Gottschlich, Robert Hoffmann, Markus Huhn, Hans-Henning Kettler, Dr. Oliver Mauss, Jan Oetjen

Re: Refering member function

balage42-qooxdoo
Hello!

Thanks. It works. :-)

Balage

PS: Thanks to Chris too. ;-)

--
Oetiker+Partner AG        tel: +41 62 775 99 03 (direct)
Fritz Zaucker                        +41 62 775 99 00 (switch board)
Aarweg 15                            +41 79 675 06 30 (mobile)
CH-4600 Olten                   fax: +41 62 775 99 05
Schweiz                         web: www.oetiker.ch

Re: Your favorite aspects of qooxdoo !?

Stefan Volbers
Hi core devs,
as others already said, the well-founded qooxdoo OO api is invaluable.
The mailing list is ultima ratio whenever things need enlightenment.
Any major browser is supported.
But my topmost favourite qooxdoo point is: you have a fully complete
toolkit for writing enterprise web applications *without writing a
single line of html*.

Thanks for providing qooxdoo!

Greetings,
Stefan

John Spackman wrote:
> Documentation: usually the Achilles’ heel of OS products, this has
> been great since I started (0.7.x)

hi,

i agree that documentation for individual features/modules is great, and
the example code is abundant. but i think the qooxdoo documentation
lacks real-life case studies, a la "samba by example"

there are lots of modules and features, but when will i really need
them? which application sizes? when will it pay off to invest time?
places where this way of doing things should not be used, because it
won't scale, so you should use that module instead. (manual verification
vs. form handling, when to use fsm, when to use the message bus,  etc)

it would be great addition to those of us who are new, not only to
qooxdoo, but also to gui development in general.

just my two kurus.

best,
burak

Re: Your favorite aspects of qooxdoo !?

redalastor
I'm surprised no one mentioned the api viewer yet!

Having an interactive and *searchable* api is invaluable.

Re: Your favorite aspects of qooxdoo !?

Gene Amtower
Eh, I was leaving it for you?

How about...

- fast bug fixes when issues are raised in bugzilla
- migration script jobs (haven't used it myself, but a really thoughtful feature that I'll need eventually)
- Playing down at the PLAYGROUND!!!!  What other development framework has one of those?

   Gene

On Tue, 2009-12-08 at 22:39 -0500, Dan wrote:
I'm surprised no one mentioned the api viewer yet!

Having an interactive and *searchable* api is invaluable.

Re: Your favorite aspects of qooxdoo !?

Vincent Vandenschrick
Of course, I agree with everything that has already be mentioned (OO
api, ML support, available components, ...).

2 things that definitely made it for me :
- a *really* flexible and efficient layouting system. Compared to what I
know (Java swing, Flex, ...) it /just works/ without pain, and
assembling complex screens that behave correctly at runtime is a piece
of cake.
- a top level binding architecture. This is a key point when it comes to
developing data-driven business applications.

Really nice job, Qooxdoo team.
Keep on going.

Vincent

--

Vincent Vandenschrick
 Jspresso Framework

Re: Your favorite aspects of qooxdoo !?

Jean-Noël Rivasseau
For us a really good thing about Qooxdoo is that the developers are quite active and fix bugs we report (and yes, we are finding quite a lot ;) but I guess this is because we are not using Qx in exactly the same way as others...)

A good OO and widget oriented API in Qx is definitely the thing that made us choose the framework. The databinding stuff is also excellent.

What could be improved: the animation layer and the documentation.

--

Vincent Vandenschrick
 Jspresso Framework

Re: Your favorite aspects of qooxdoo !?

Jean-Baptiste BRIAUD -- Novlog

I'll start with my 2 cents on things to improve so I can finish on positive things :

* a parameter in the build toolchain to allow to specify where the SDK will be after a compile source build. This would allow to to compile source and then move source somewhere else. I know source is not for production but for validation purpose or to solve a tricky bug, we need debug message in prod environment for example, so this may be improved either by allowing (not by default) debug message in compile build (how to still get the correct file and line number in errors ?) or by simplifying compile source SDK path problem.

* compile time improvement. I have to use a ram disk for the cache to make it acceptable for us, but still it is the step that consume most of the time from far for an entire app : qx client side, Java server side, database schema installation, ...

* a better shiny default theme (maybe less grayed but this is my own taste here) or more themes (one per OS like in Swing, so any one will find a well known look and feel ?).

* an official way to optionally bypass build tool chain for newcomers. It was already discussed but despite the obvious value the tool chain provide, it comes with an extra complexity to deal with including . I sure this prevent larger qooxdoo adaption

On Dec 8, 2009, at 21:06 , Stefan Volbers wrote:

> Hi core devs,
> as others already said, the well-founded qooxdoo OO api is invaluable.
> The mailing list is ultima ratio whenever things need enlightenment.
> Any major browser is supported.
> But my topmost favourite qooxdoo point is: you have a fully complete
> toolkit for writing enterprise web applications *without writing a
> single line of html*.
>
> Thanks for providing qooxdoo!
>
> Greetings,
> Stefan

+1
I fully agree with your comment.

I would add the compile build. I found it really valuable and produce very quick and heavily optimized js. The produced app load quickly.

A big thanks to all the community and a special thanks to 1&1 qooxdoo core team !

Re: Your favorite aspects of qooxdoo !?

Loïc Bresson -- Novlog
I'll be brief since the most important for me has already been said.

- the qooxdoo OO model, with lots of widgets/controls/etc
- a great community (qooxdoo team and users), always nice and responding fast
- the "on the fly" searchable API (although it *really* lacks documentation on
events),
- the simulator contrib which is a nice tool overall.

Andreas Ecker wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> while approaching the qooxdoo 1.0 release due next week, we'd like to
> gather some feedback from you about the strong points of qooxdoo.
>
> This is valuable input (targeting about/feature pages, announcements)
> for other users, particularly new users, to get to know about the most
> important aspects of qooxdoo.
>
> It is important that you don't really think about what _could_ be
> relevant for others, but what were and are the most relevant aspects
> _for you_ and your project specifically. Your individual "user's view"
> if you will. This certainly includes technical aspects, of course, but
> also non-technical ones like project and/or community.
>
> Looking forward to your favorite "pros",
>
> Andreas

Best

--
Loïc Bresson

Re: Your favorite aspects of qooxdoo !?

Siarhei Barysiuk

Here is my list.

- community
- OO model
- well thought-out API
- tool chain and generator (optimization, dev tools, etc.)
- nice integration with contributions

... and many more. Qooxdoo looks like a finished product.

What would I add? A *big* promotion campaign. :)

Thanks for all your work.

Cheers,
Siarhei

On Dec 8, 2009, at 12:22 PM, Andreas Ecker wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> while approaching the qooxdoo 1.0 release due next week, we'd like to
> gather some feedback from you about the strong points of qooxdoo.
>
> This is valuable input (targeting about/feature pages, announcements)
> for other users, particularly new users, to get to know about the most
> important aspects of qooxdoo.
>
> It is important that you don't really think about what _could_ be
> relevant for others, but what were and are the most relevant aspects
> _for you_ and your project specifically. Your individual "user's view"
> if you will. This certainly includes technical aspects, of course, but
> also non-technical ones like project and/or community.
>
> Looking forward to your favorite "pros",
>
> Andreas
>
> --
> Andreas Ecker
> Project Lead
> http://qooxdoo.org

Re: Your favorite aspects of qooxdoo !?

panyasan
I cannot add much except that I find that as a hobby programmer, I find it intellectually stimulating to work with the framework and just by learning how to do thing the "qooxdoo way", I learn alot about design patterns, programming models, etc instead of ad-hoc "hackery".

The combination of API Viewer, Demo Browser, and a decent IDE (Eclipse with Spket plugin) makes coding a pleasant experience.

What I would wish for in the short/medium term (after all, it is Christmas soon):

- a more polished website - important for PR purposes (we're competing with http://www.dojotoolkit.org/, for example)
- a book-like manual (see the discussion on the ML)
- an integrated "API Viewer/Demo Browser" for contributions

Other than that, I am really happy with the toolkit, support by the devs and the community.

Three cheers to qooxdoo!

C.
Siarhei Barysiuk wrote
Hi,

Here is my list.

- community
- OO model
- well thought-out API
- tool chain and generator (optimization, dev tools, etc.)
- nice integration with contributions

... and many more. Qooxdoo looks like a finished product.

What would I add? A *big* promotion campaign. :)

Thanks for all your work.

Cheers,
Siarhei

On Dec 8, 2009, at 12:22 PM, Andreas Ecker wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> while approaching the qooxdoo 1.0 release due next week, we'd like to
> gather some feedback from you about the strong points of qooxdoo.
>
> This is valuable input (targeting about/feature pages, announcements)
> for other users, particularly new users, to get to know about the most
> important aspects of qooxdoo.
>
> It is important that you don't really think about what _could_ be
> relevant for others, but what were and are the most relevant aspects
> _for you_ and your project specifically. Your individual "user's view"
> if you will. This certainly includes technical aspects, of course, but
> also non-technical ones like project and/or community.
>
> Looking forward to your favorite "pros",
>
> Andreas
>
> --
> Andreas Ecker
> Project Lead