Which IDE?

Marco Castillo
Dear list:
Me and my team are going to begin developing applications using qooxdoo. We have made some tests, and think we're ready to make our first complete application. We are java developers mainly, and we are used to develop using an IDE, like Netbeans or Eclipse (we use both, depending of the project requirements). So fellow developers, I would like to ask you, which IDE do you use to develop qooxdoo?, of course if you use any. Or are you using a simple text editor? We have seen some preferences and support for Eclipse (my favorite). We are going to test QXDT with Eclipse, but we would like to hear from you guys, people with a lot of expertise developing with qooxdoo, which IDE do you prefer if any, or how are you developing your applications with qooxdoo?
By the way, congratulations for a great project.

Regards

Marco

Re: Which IDE?

thron7

Marco Castillo wrote:

> Dear list:
> Me and my team are going to begin developing applications using qooxdoo. We
> have made some tests, and think we're ready to make our first complete
> application. We are java developers mainly, and we are used to develop using
> an IDE, like Netbeans or Eclipse (we use both, depending of the project
> requirements). So fellow developers, I would like to ask you, which IDE do
> you use to develop qooxdoo?, of course if you use any. Or are you using a
> simple text editor? We have seen some preferences and support for Eclipse
> (my favorite). We are going to test QXDT with Eclipse, but we would like to
> hear from you guys, people with a lot of expertise developing with qooxdoo,
> which IDE do you prefer if any, or how are you developing your applications
> with qooxdoo?
> By the way, congratulations for a great project.

Thanks, Marco. It's good to hear you are getting into qooxdoo
development :).

There are probably other people on the list more qualified to answer,
but here are a few hints:

* You probably already spotted the wiki page about tools?!
(http://qooxdoo.org/documentation/0.8/development_tools)
* I don't know the exact status of QXDT, but last time I checked it was
pretty much a work in progress.
* Aptana is quite good, and available as both an Eclipse plugin and
stand-alone.
* There is this Eclipse-based IDE "Spket", which actually has dedicated
qooxdoo support.

Thomas

> Regards
>
> Marco

Re: Which IDE?

Sebastian Werner
If you are a Mac user, you might even try "Textmate" which is a great
tiny piece of editor with tons of options to be extended with custom
features.

Cheers,
Sebastian

Am 23.01.2009 um 18:47 schrieb Marco Castillo:

> Dear list:
> Me and my team are going to begin developing applications using
> qooxdoo. We have made some tests, and think we're ready to make our
> first complete application. We are java developers mainly, and we
> are used to develop using an IDE, like Netbeans or Eclipse (we use
> both, depending of the project requirements). So fellow developers,
> I would like to ask you, which IDE do you use to develop qooxdoo?,
> of course if you use any. Or are you using a simple text editor? We
> have seen some preferences and support for Eclipse (my favorite). We
> are going to test QXDT with Eclipse, but we would like to hear from
> you guys, people with a lot of expertise developing with qooxdoo,
> which IDE do you prefer if any, or how are you developing your
> applications with qooxdoo?
> By the way, congratulations for a great project.
>
> Regards
>
> Marco

Re: Which IDE?

banal

> Thanks, Marco. It's good to hear you are getting into qooxdoo
> development :).
>
> There are probably other people on the list more qualified to answer,
> but here are a few hints:
>
> * You probably already spotted the wiki page about tools?!
> (http://qooxdoo.org/documentation/0.8/development_tools)
> * I don't know the exact status of QXDT, but last time I checked it was
> pretty much a work in progress.
> * Aptana is quite good, and available as both an Eclipse plugin and
> stand-alone.
> * There is this Eclipse-based IDE "Spket", which actually has dedicated
> qooxdoo support.

Hello

I'm using Eclipse as well (OS X here).
At first I used the QXDT (and JSDT) Plugin but i didn't found it to be
that useful. The Aptana Plugin for eclipse (or standalone, if you
prefer) has a very nice JavaScript editor IMHO. It doesn't show
inherited methods and properties of the qooxdoo class system, but other
than that it's very powerful.

Together with the PHP Developer tools, Subclipse plugin and all the
other neat stuff eclipse has to offer, this is hard to beat.

Never heard of "Spket" though. Just had a look at their website... i
guess i'll give it a try sometime :)

Cheers - Roman

Re: Which IDE?

Siarhei Barysiuk

I tried Spket as Eclipse plugin on Mac. It has a really good
autocompletion support.
Does Aptana have some plugins which bring autocompletion for qooxdoo?
Didn't see any.

Siarhei

On Jan 23, 2009, at 10:52 PM, Roman Schmid wrote:

>> Thanks, Marco. It's good to hear you are getting into qooxdoo
>> development :).
>>
>> There are probably other people on the list more qualified to answer,
>> but here are a few hints:
>>
>> * You probably already spotted the wiki page about tools?!
>> (http://qooxdoo.org/documentation/0.8/development_tools)
>> * I don't know the exact status of QXDT, but last time I checked it
>> was
>> pretty much a work in progress.
>> * Aptana is quite good, and available as both an Eclipse plugin and
>> stand-alone.
>> * There is this Eclipse-based IDE "Spket", which actually has
>> dedicated
>> qooxdoo support.
>
> Hello
>
> I'm using Eclipse as well (OS X here).
> At first I used the QXDT (and JSDT) Plugin but i didn't found it to be
> that useful. The Aptana Plugin for eclipse (or standalone, if you
> prefer) has a very nice JavaScript editor IMHO. It doesn't show
> inherited methods and properties of the qooxdoo class system, but
> other
> than that it's very powerful.
>
> Together with the PHP Developer tools, Subclipse plugin and all the
> other neat stuff eclipse has to offer, this is hard to beat.
>
> Never heard of "Spket" though. Just had a look at their website... i
> guess i'll give it a try sometime :)
>
> Cheers - Roman

Re: Which IDE?

Jim Hunter-2
After using Spket for just a few minutes I went and purchased it. The laguage support for qooxdoo is excellent (.8 only). And compared to Aptana, it is much faster and can handle larger files. I have a file that is over 100K and Aptana has a lot of difficulty with it, Spket handled it just fine. And there seems to be a few more things you can change in the JavaScript formatting that Aptana doesn't have. Namely, I can configure it to NOT indent block comments. With Aptana, all my #require statements got indented if I did an auto-format (Ctrl-Shft-F) thus rendering them useless. I was able to configure Spket to not do that so I don't have a fear of breaking an #require statement if I format the code. This one feature alone was worth the price of admintion.

Jim

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 2:58 PM, Siarhei Barysiuk <[hidden email]> wrote:

I tried Spket as Eclipse plugin on Mac. It has a really good
autocompletion support.
Does Aptana have some plugins which bring autocompletion for qooxdoo?
Didn't see any.

Siarhei

On Jan 23, 2009, at 10:52 PM, Roman Schmid wrote:

>> Thanks, Marco. It's good to hear you are getting into qooxdoo
>> development :).
>>
>> There are probably other people on the list more qualified to answer,
>> but here are a few hints:
>>
>> * You probably already spotted the wiki page about tools?!
>> (http://qooxdoo.org/documentation/0.8/development_tools)
>> * I don't know the exact status of QXDT, but last time I checked it
>> was
>> pretty much a work in progress.
>> * Aptana is quite good, and available as both an Eclipse plugin and
>> stand-alone.
>> * There is this Eclipse-based IDE "Spket", which actually has
>> dedicated
>> qooxdoo support.
>
> Hello
>
> I'm using Eclipse as well (OS X here).
> At first I used the QXDT (and JSDT) Plugin but i didn't found it to be
> that useful. The Aptana Plugin for eclipse (or standalone, if you
> prefer) has a very nice JavaScript editor IMHO. It doesn't show
> inherited methods and properties of the qooxdoo class system, but
> other
> than that it's very powerful.
>
> Together with the PHP Developer tools, Subclipse plugin and all the
> other neat stuff eclipse has to offer, this is hard to beat.
>
> Never heard of "Spket" though. Just had a look at their website... i
> guess i'll give it a try sometime :)
>
> Cheers - Roman

Re: Which IDE?

Andy Fuchs
Jim,

are you on a Mac, Win or Linux?

I'm on a Mac and beside TextMate I use BBEdit and sometimes Aptana. None of
which is really ideal for qooxdoo and Javascript development, so keep your
ideas coming  ;-)

andy

On 24.01.09 00:09, "Jim Hunter" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> After using Spket for just a few minutes I went and purchased it. The
> laguage support for qooxdoo is excellent (.8 only). And compared to Aptana,
> it is much faster and can handle larger files. I have a file that is over
> 100K and Aptana has a lot of difficulty with it, Spket handled it just fine.
> And there seems to be a few more things you can change in the JavaScript
> formatting that Aptana doesn't have. Namely, I can configure it to NOT
> indent block comments. With Aptana, all my #require statements got indented
> if I did an auto-format (Ctrl-Shft-F) thus rendering them useless. I was
> able to configure Spket to not do that so I don't have a fear of breaking an
> #require statement if I format the code. This one feature alone was worth
> the price of admintion.
>
> Jim
>

> On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 2:58 PM, Siarhei Barysiuk <[hidden email]>wrote:
>

>> I tried Spket as Eclipse plugin on Mac. It has a really good
>> autocompletion support.
>> Does Aptana have some plugins which bring autocompletion for qooxdoo?
>> Didn't see any.
>>
>> Siarhei

>>> Hello
>>>
>>> I'm using Eclipse as well (OS X here).
>>> At first I used the QXDT (and JSDT) Plugin but i didn't found it to be
>>> that useful. The Aptana Plugin for eclipse (or standalone, if you
>>> prefer) has a very nice JavaScript editor IMHO. It doesn't show
>>> inherited methods and properties of the qooxdoo class system, but
>>> other
>>> than that it's very powerful.
>>>
>>> Together with the PHP Developer tools, Subclipse plugin and all the
>>> other neat stuff eclipse has to offer, this is hard to beat.
>>>
>>> Never heard of "Spket" though. Just had a look at their website... i
>>> guess i'll give it a try sometime :)
>>>
>>> Cheers - Roman

Re: Which IDE?

Jim Hunter-2
In an earlier message I mentioned that I am on a PC. I am using Win2K for the current project. So far I really like Spket. Since it is a Java app, you should be able to run in on a Max with no problems.

Jim

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 3:47 PM, Andy Fuchs <[hidden email]> wrote:
Jim,

are you on a Mac, Win or Linux?

I'm on a Mac and beside TextMate I use BBEdit and sometimes Aptana. None of
which is really ideal for qooxdoo and Javascript development, so keep your
ideas coming  ;-)

andy

On 24.01.09 00:09, "Jim Hunter" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> After using Spket for just a few minutes I went and purchased it. The
> laguage support for qooxdoo is excellent (.8 only). And compared to Aptana,
> it is much faster and can handle larger files. I have a file that is over
> 100K and Aptana has a lot of difficulty with it, Spket handled it just fine.
> And there seems to be a few more things you can change in the JavaScript
> formatting that Aptana doesn't have. Namely, I can configure it to NOT
> indent block comments. With Aptana, all my #require statements got indented
> if I did an auto-format (Ctrl-Shft-F) thus rendering them useless. I was
> able to configure Spket to not do that so I don't have a fear of breaking an
> #require statement if I format the code. This one feature alone was worth
> the price of admintion.
>
> Jim
>

> On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 2:58 PM, Siarhei Barysiuk <[hidden email]>wrote:
>

>> I tried Spket as Eclipse plugin on Mac. It has a really good
>> autocompletion support.
>> Does Aptana have some plugins which bring autocompletion for qooxdoo?
>> Didn't see any.
>>
>> Siarhei

>>> Hello
>>>
>>> I'm using Eclipse as well (OS X here).
>>> At first I used the QXDT (and JSDT) Plugin but i didn't found it to be
>>> that useful. The Aptana Plugin for eclipse (or standalone, if you
>>> prefer) has a very nice JavaScript editor IMHO. It doesn't show
>>> inherited methods and properties of the qooxdoo class system, but
>>> other
>>> than that it's very powerful.
>>>
>>> Together with the PHP Developer tools, Subclipse plugin and all the
>>> other neat stuff eclipse has to offer, this is hard to beat.
>>>
>>> Never heard of "Spket" though. Just had a look at their website... i
>>> guess i'll give it a try sometime :)
>>>
>>> Cheers - Roman

Re: Which IDE?

Sebastian Werner
Andy,

do you have seen that there is a qooxdoo-bundle in qooxdoo-contrib?

Cheers,
Sebastian

P.S. Elgato, interesting to see a new member from a classical Mac
software company here? Can I ask about what you are developing? Or is
this still private?

Am 24.01.2009 um 00:47 schrieb Andy Fuchs:

> Jim,
>
> are you on a Mac, Win or Linux?
>
> I'm on a Mac and beside TextMate I use BBEdit and sometimes Aptana.
> None of
> which is really ideal for qooxdoo and Javascript development, so
> keep your
> ideas coming  ;-)
>
> andy
>

> On 24.01.09 00:09, "Jim Hunter" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> After using Spket for just a few minutes I went and purchased it. The
>> laguage support for qooxdoo is excellent (.8 only). And compared to
>> Aptana,
>> it is much faster and can handle larger files. I have a file that
>> is over
>> 100K and Aptana has a lot of difficulty with it, Spket handled it
>> just fine.
>> And there seems to be a few more things you can change in the
>> JavaScript
>> formatting that Aptana doesn't have. Namely, I can configure it to
>> NOT
>> indent block comments. With Aptana, all my #require statements got
>> indented
>> if I did an auto-format (Ctrl-Shft-F) thus rendering them useless.
>> I was
>> able to configure Spket to not do that so I don't have a fear of
>> breaking an
>> #require statement if I format the code. This one feature alone was
>> worth
>> the price of admintion.
>>
>> Jim
>>

>> On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 2:58 PM, Siarhei Barysiuk <[hidden email]
>> >wrote:
>>

>>> I tried Spket as Eclipse plugin on Mac. It has a really good
>>> autocompletion support.
>>> Does Aptana have some plugins which bring autocompletion for
>>> qooxdoo?
>>> Didn't see any.
>>>
>>> Siarhei

Re: Which IDE?

Andy Fuchs
Hi Sebastian,

I haven't seen a qooxdoo-bundle. Where is it? What's it about?

andy
PS: Currently we are just investigating various tools for a couple of ideas.
As you correctly pointed out, we're a 'classical' Mac company, so all this
Ajax/JS stuff is really challenging (especially if I look at IDEs like
Eclipse, etc...)

On 24.01.09 10:18, "Sebastian Werner" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Andy,
>
> do you have seen that there is a qooxdoo-bundle in qooxdoo-contrib?
>
> Cheers,
> Sebastian
>
> P.S. Elgato, interesting to see a new member from a classical Mac
> software company here? Can I ask about what you are developing? Or is
> this still private?
>

> Am 24.01.2009 um 00:47 schrieb Andy Fuchs:
>
>> Jim,
>>
>> are you on a Mac, Win or Linux?
>>
>> I'm on a Mac and beside TextMate I use BBEdit and sometimes Aptana.
>> None of
>> which is really ideal for qooxdoo and Javascript development, so
>> keep your
>> ideas coming  ;-)
>>
>> andy
>>

>> On 24.01.09 00:09, "Jim Hunter" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> After using Spket for just a few minutes I went and purchased it. The
>>> laguage support for qooxdoo is excellent (.8 only). And compared to
>>> Aptana,
>>> it is much faster and can handle larger files. I have a file that
>>> is over
>>> 100K and Aptana has a lot of difficulty with it, Spket handled it
>>> just fine.
>>> And there seems to be a few more things you can change in the
>>> JavaScript
>>> formatting that Aptana doesn't have. Namely, I can configure it to
>>> NOT
>>> indent block comments. With Aptana, all my #require statements got
>>> indented
>>> if I did an auto-format (Ctrl-Shft-F) thus rendering them useless.
>>> I was
>>> able to configure Spket to not do that so I don't have a fear of
>>> breaking an
>>> #require statement if I format the code. This one feature alone was
>>> worth
>>> the price of admintion.
>>>
>>> Jim
>>>

>>> On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 2:58 PM, Siarhei Barysiuk <[hidden email]

Re: Which IDE?

Andy Fuchs
Ah... it seems you meant a Textmate.bundle.... Found it.

thx

a.

On 24.01.09 10:18, "Sebastian Werner" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Andy,
>
> do you have seen that there is a qooxdoo-bundle in qooxdoo-contrib?
>
> Cheers,
> Sebastian
>
> P.S. Elgato, interesting to see a new member from a classical Mac
> software company here? Can I ask about what you are developing? Or is
> this still private?
>

> Am 24.01.2009 um 00:47 schrieb Andy Fuchs:
>
>> Jim,
>>
>> are you on a Mac, Win or Linux?
>>
>> I'm on a Mac and beside TextMate I use BBEdit and sometimes Aptana.
>> None of
>> which is really ideal for qooxdoo and Javascript development, so
>> keep your
>> ideas coming  ;-)
>>
>> andy
>>

>> On 24.01.09 00:09, "Jim Hunter" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> After using Spket for just a few minutes I went and purchased it. The
>>> laguage support for qooxdoo is excellent (.8 only). And compared to
>>> Aptana,
>>> it is much faster and can handle larger files. I have a file that
>>> is over
>>> 100K and Aptana has a lot of difficulty with it, Spket handled it
>>> just fine.
>>> And there seems to be a few more things you can change in the
>>> JavaScript
>>> formatting that Aptana doesn't have. Namely, I can configure it to
>>> NOT
>>> indent block comments. With Aptana, all my #require statements got
>>> indented
>>> if I did an auto-format (Ctrl-Shft-F) thus rendering them useless.
>>> I was
>>> able to configure Spket to not do that so I don't have a fear of
>>> breaking an
>>> #require statement if I format the code. This one feature alone was
>>> worth
>>> the price of admintion.
>>>
>>> Jim
>>>

>>> On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 2:58 PM, Siarhei Barysiuk <[hidden email]

Re: Which IDE?

For those who havn't found it yet:

http://qooxdoo.org/contrib/project/textmate
http://news.qooxdoo.org/textmate-qooxdoo-bundle

Best Fabian

> Ah... it seems you meant a Textmate.bundle.... Found it.
>
> thx
>
> a.
>

> On 24.01.09 10:18, "Sebastian Werner" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Andy,
>>
>> do you have seen that there is a qooxdoo-bundle in qooxdoo-contrib?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Sebastian
>>
>> P.S. Elgato, interesting to see a new member from a classical Mac
>> software company here? Can I ask about what you are developing? Or is
>> this still private?
>>

>> Am 24.01.2009 um 00:47 schrieb Andy Fuchs:
>>

>>> Jim,
>>>
>>> are you on a Mac, Win or Linux?
>>>
>>> I'm on a Mac and beside TextMate I use BBEdit and sometimes Aptana.
>>> None of
>>> which is really ideal for qooxdoo and Javascript development, so
>>> keep your
>>> ideas coming  ;-)
>>>
>>> andy

1&1 Internet AG
Brauerstra├če 48
76135 Karlsruhe

Amtsgericht Montabaur HRB 6484

Vorstand: Henning Ahlert, Ralph Dommermuth, Matthias Ehrlich, Thomas Gottschlich, Matthias Greve, Robert Hoffmann, Markus Huhn, Oliver Mauss, Achim Weiss

Re: Which IDE?

MartinWittemann
Hi Andy,

you can find all the information on the qooxdoo textmate bundle on
this wiki page: http://qooxdoo.org/contrib/project/textmate
I do use it for my development tasks too. What i like most is the
integrated lint on every save of the file. That way you can see such
small mistaks on an instant.

Martin

Am 24.01.2009 um 12:31 schrieb Andy Fuchs:

> Hi Sebastian,
>
> I haven't seen a qooxdoo-bundle. Where is it? What's it about?
>
> andy
> PS: Currently we are just investigating various tools for a couple
> of ideas.
> As you correctly pointed out, we're a 'classical' Mac company, so
> all this
> Ajax/JS stuff is really challenging (especially if I look at IDEs like
> Eclipse, etc...)
>

> On 24.01.09 10:18, "Sebastian Werner" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Andy,
>>
>> do you have seen that there is a qooxdoo-bundle in qooxdoo-contrib?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Sebastian
>>
>> P.S. Elgato, interesting to see a new member from a classical Mac
>> software company here? Can I ask about what you are developing? Or is
>> this still private?
>>

>> Am 24.01.2009 um 00:47 schrieb Andy Fuchs:
>>
>>> Jim,
>>>
>>> are you on a Mac, Win or Linux?
>>>
>>> I'm on a Mac and beside TextMate I use BBEdit and sometimes Aptana.
>>> None of
>>> which is really ideal for qooxdoo and Javascript development, so
>>> keep your
>>> ideas coming  ;-)
>>>
>>> andy

Re: Which IDE?

Andy Fuchs
Hi Martin,

I'm using TextMate from time to time, so I was pleased that there is a
qooxdoo bundle (didn't expect that).

I tried it on the weekend and it looks good. Not really IDE, but a nice
qooxdoo-Editor and much easier to setup than i.e. Eclipse (where I was
completely lost)...

The only things I'm missing is comparison of documents and searching for
certain strings on this. That's why I keep BBEdit open at all times ;-)

best

andy

On 26.01.09 08:54, "Martin Wittemann" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Andy,
>
> you can find all the information on the qooxdoo textmate bundle on
> this wiki page: http://qooxdoo.org/contrib/project/textmate
> I do use it for my development tasks too. What i like most is the
> integrated lint on every save of the file. That way you can see such
> small mistaks on an instant.
>
> Martin
>

> Am 24.01.2009 um 12:31 schrieb Andy Fuchs:
>
>> Hi Sebastian,
>>
>> I haven't seen a qooxdoo-bundle. Where is it? What's it about?
>>
>> andy
>> PS: Currently we are just investigating various tools for a couple
>> of ideas.
>> As you correctly pointed out, we're a 'classical' Mac company, so
>> all this
>> Ajax/JS stuff is really challenging (especially if I look at IDEs like
>> Eclipse, etc...)
>>

>> On 24.01.09 10:18, "Sebastian Werner" <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Andy,
>>>
>>> do you have seen that there is a qooxdoo-bundle in qooxdoo-contrib?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Sebastian
>>>
>>> P.S. Elgato, interesting to see a new member from a classical Mac
>>> software company here? Can I ask about what you are developing? Or is
>>> this still private?

Re: Which IDE?

Noggin182
Hi,
Just chipping in with my personal preference. We have a team all using
windows platforms and have found that Aptana has been the best choice
for us. We can include the project settings in our repository and this
allows us to do things like "generate source" from within the IDE.

Most of our team also use Spket but it has a few nuisances in it that
annoy me.

HTH,
Matt

Re: Which IDE?

Jean-Baptiste BRIAUD -- Novlog

I'm on Mac and I'm using IntelliJ.
This IDE is not specifically designed for Qooxdoo or Javascript but is
dedicated for Java developpement.
Because of that, Javascript is correctly taken into account.