What is qx.Server?

voger
I am reading the qooxdoo manual and I see a presentation for qx.Server
but still can't understand what it does and for what it might be useful.
I have never played with rhino and nodejs and so many things are way
over my head. Can please someone explain the purpose of this package?

Re: What is qx.Server?

Richard Sternagel
Hi voger,

when for example working in a Node.js environment - say writing a CLI
tool or a web server - there will be no visual representation
of your tool/program. So the widgets qooxdoo offers aren't helpful. But
if you like our class system you can still use our OOP-style and the
features it provides (mixins, interfaces, dynamic getters/setters ...).

That's the purpose of qx.Server - provide the subset of qooxdoo that in
such an environment (i.e. DOM-less) still makes sense. The "Server" part
in the name is just a hint at it's most probable use case.

Does this help? If not, feel free to ask more concrete questions.

Regards
Richard

Re: What is qx.Server?

Petr Kobalíček
I think it isn't really useful in node environment, just my opinion.

I wrote qclass <https://github.com/jshq/qclass> to have some OO model on the server; and started using it also on the client as it's very small lib that makes my code clean, check it out ;)

Best,
Petr

On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 10:24 AM, Richard Sternagel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi voger,

when for example working in a Node.js environment - say writing a CLI
tool or a web server - there will be no visual representation
of your tool/program. So the widgets qooxdoo offers aren't helpful. But
if you like our class system you can still use our OOP-style and the
features it provides (mixins, interfaces, dynamic getters/setters ...).

That's the purpose of qx.Server - provide the subset of qooxdoo that in
such an environment (i.e. DOM-less) still makes sense. The "Server" part
in the name is just a hint at it's most probable use case.

Does this help? If not, feel free to ask more concrete questions.

Regards
Richard

Re: What is qx.Server?

John Spackman-3
On 2 Feb 2015, at 11:15, Petr Kobalíček <[hidden email]> wrote:

I think it isn't really useful in node environment, just my opinion.

I don’t agree, I use it extensively on the server and in standalone apps (rhino and node.js) - qx.Server provides everything except the GUI and GUI related components, so any node/rhino code you write which would benefit from OO, binding, utils, etc is a candidate for using qx.Server

Re: What is qx.Server?

voger
Thanks, I got the hint about the server part :D but as the backend in my
project will be PHP based I was afraid that I would be missing out from
not using qooxdoo's own server solution.

Noob at work here :D

On 02/02/2015 11:24 πμ, Richard Sternagel wrote:

> Hi voger,
>
> when for example working in a Node.js environment - say writing a CLI
> tool or a web server - there will be no visual representation
> of your tool/program. So the widgets qooxdoo offers aren't helpful. But
> if you like our class system you can still use our OOP-style and the
> features it provides (mixins, interfaces, dynamic getters/setters ...).
>
> That's the purpose of qx.Server - provide the subset of qooxdoo that in
> such an environment (i.e. DOM-less) still makes sense. The "Server" part
> in the name is just a hint at it's most probable use case.
>
> Does this help? If not, feel free to ask more concrete questions.
>
> Regards
> Richard

Re: What is qx.Server?

Peter Schneider
 > [...]
> Thanks, I got the hint about the server part :D but as the backend in my
> project will be PHP based I was afraid that I would be missing out from
> not using qooxdoo's own server solution.
>
> Noob at work here :D
> [...]

In case of PHP backend I would still recommend RPC-PHP contribution[1] (by
Christian Boulanger).
The documentation part is waaaay outdated[2], but the general 'layout' and
code structure is fine!

just my 2ct,

Peter

[1] https://github.com/qooxdoo/contrib-catalog/tree/master/contributions/RpcPhp
[2] .. still from days where it was not a contrib ;)

--

** Unsere Veranstaltungen 2015

transport logistic Mόnchen Halle B2, Stand 317/518 5.5.-8.5.2015
MφLo Kassel 18.6.-20.6.2015
Postexpo Paris 29.9.-1.10.2015

** NEU: Unser BLOG

telematics-magazine.com