UML tools

Andreas-4
Hello,

are there some UML tools for qooxdoo available? For example, I would
like to create a class diagram for my qooxdoo project.

Thank you,

Andreas

Re: UML tools

MartinWittemann
Administrator
Hello Andreas,
no there are no special UML tools for qooxdoo available. I always used common UML tools to create class diagrams or all other kind of UML documents. I prefer OmniFocus which is a Mac only tool for drawing Diagrams of any kind.
Another suggestion for class diagrams is http://yuml.me/. You dan define your diagrams online and the don't look too bad at all!
But non of these does have something special for qooxdoo. What do you think should a UML tool for qooxdoo include?
Best,
Martin

Re: [qooxdoo-devel] UML tools

http://www.yworks.com/en/products_yed_about.html

T.

On 01/20/2010 09:57 PM, Andreas wrote:

> Hello,
>
> are there some UML tools for qooxdoo available? For example, I would
> like to create a class diagram for my qooxdoo project.
>

> Thank you,
>
> Andreas

Re: [qooxdoo-devel] UML tools

Stéphane-2-3
You can use eclipse uml tools for diagraming then use acceleo or epsilon or xpand to generate some code from your models.

Before Printing, Think about Your Environmental Responsibility!
Avant d'Imprimer, Pensez à Votre Responsabilitée Environnementale!

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 9:40 AM, thron7 <[hidden email]> wrote:
http://www.yworks.com/en/products_yed_about.html

T.

On 01/20/2010 09:57 PM, Andreas wrote:
> Hello,
>
> are there some UML tools for qooxdoo available? For example, I would
> like to create a class diagram for my qooxdoo project.
>

> Thank you,
>
> Andreas

Re: [qooxdoo-devel] UML tools

Jean-Baptiste BRIAUD -- Novlog
http://argouml.tigris.org/

Free, made in Java so multiplateform.

On Jan 20, 2010, at 21:57 , Andreas wrote:

> Hello,
>
> are there some UML tools for qooxdoo available? For example, I would
> like to create a class diagram for my qooxdoo project.
>

> Thank you,
>
> Andreas

Re: [qooxdoo-devel] UML tools

Jean-Baptiste BRIAUD -- Novlog
http://www.umlet.com/

I forgot that one witch is targeted to be very very small.
No code, generation, nothing complex, only UML drawing.

On Jan 20, 2010, at 21:57 , Andreas wrote:

> Hello,
>
> are there some UML tools for qooxdoo available? For example, I would
> like to create a class diagram for my qooxdoo project.
>

> Thank you,
>
> Andreas

Re: [qooxdoo-devel] UML tools

Siarhei Barysiuk

It would be a great qooxdoo contribution- class diagram generator. I
was thinking about such tool.

Qooxdoo has an outstanding part - its generator, it's possible to add
any additional functionality with help of it. There is an API viewer
which produces classes information in JSON (it's possible to get in
XML with minor changes, what I did for qxtransformer to generate own
tag viewer). So, all what is needed is to produce SVG document from
this JSON/XML file using Python. After that add an additional target
to your config.

I understand that UML is more than class diagrams but anyway, that's
what is needed mostly.

Cheers,
Siarhei

On Jan 20, 2010, at 10:57 PM, Andreas wrote:

> Hello,
>
> are there some UML tools for qooxdoo available? For example, I would
> like to create a class diagram for my qooxdoo project.
>

> Thank you,
>
> Andreas

> Throughout its 18-year history, RSA Conference consistently attracts
> the
> world's best and brightest in the field, creating opportunities for
> Conference
> attendees to learn about information security's most important
> issues through
> interactions with peers, luminaries and emerging and established
> companies.
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/rsaconf-dev2dev

Re: [qooxdoo-devel] UML tools

Jean-Baptiste BRIAUD -- Novlog
Few points based on my experience for code generation :

Drawing a UML class : a rectangle with "Customer" word in it and from that diagram pretend to generate code like
qx.Class.define("Customer", {});
has no added value.
Both UML diagram and code has the same level of abstraction, only the syntax change : a graphical one -> a js one. No added value.

As a developer, I prefer using text js, Java, ... whatever language you want rather than graphical tool
that fail, are slow, do not provide versioning using SVN, do not have correct find/replace and a lot of other reasons...

If I'm not a developer, I don't know code, but the one I could eventually generate look more like skeleton and it won't run. Even here, no added value.

So, as a summary :
1. documentation track. Very useful but it is the other way around : from code to UML schema.
No try to use UML as a starting point. No synchronization, no round trip, no blabla :-)  => it could work.
This could be done from qooxdoo generator but the problem will be to choose the correct output that can be rendered as UML diagram on multiple plateform and UML product.
This thing exist : XMI but it is a hell of XML tags. Doable but complex.
I guess this would be very appreciated from any qooxdoo user.
I would add to class diagram generation, "screen" navigation in some way, but this is quite vague and need to be clarify.

2. qooxdoo code generation track, choosing UML as a starting point is a big mistake.
We are doing that at Novlog and our starting point is the heart of our innovation.
We start from business requirement that is at a higher level of abstraction than class diagram.
This is quite complex for us to code but quite simple to use. Call us if interested.
In short we are generating both qooxdoo frontend, Java backend and database schema.
There is added value : currently, one line of business requirement produce roughly 100 line of code.

On Jan 21, 2010, at 10:49 , Siarhei Barysiuk wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It would be a great qooxdoo contribution- class diagram generator. I
> was thinking about such tool.
>
> Qooxdoo has an outstanding part - its generator, it's possible to add
> any additional functionality with help of it. There is an API viewer
> which produces classes information in JSON (it's possible to get in
> XML with minor changes, what I did for qxtransformer to generate own
> tag viewer). So, all what is needed is to produce SVG document from
> this JSON/XML file using Python. After that add an additional target
> to your config.
>
> I understand that UML is more than class diagrams but anyway, that's
> what is needed mostly.
>
> Cheers,
> Siarhei
>

> On Jan 20, 2010, at 10:57 PM, Andreas wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> are there some UML tools for qooxdoo available? For example, I would
>> like to create a class diagram for my qooxdoo project.
>>

>> Thank you,
>>
>> Andreas

>> Throughout its 18-year history, RSA Conference consistently attracts
>> the
>> world's best and brightest in the field, creating opportunities for
>> Conference
>> attendees to learn about information security's most important
>> issues through
>> interactions with peers, luminaries and emerging and established
>> companies.
>> http://p.sf.net/sfu/rsaconf-dev2dev

Re: [qooxdoo-devel] UML tools

Siarhei Barysiuk
Hi,

I fully agree on your thought, it never worked for me as well. There
are well know issues and one of them is "synchronization" between two
documents. It's impossible (well, hard :) ) to keep both documents
synchronized.

But actually I talked about diagram generation from code which might
be useful for documentation, presentations, tutorials, etc. It's easy
to change it just by running generation process again if you change
something in your code. It would be helpful to "visualize" your
architecture. It might even work as a part of API Viewer using SVG and
canvas.

Cheers,
Serge

On Jan 21, 2010, at 12:12 PM, Jean-Baptiste BRIAUD -- Novlog wrote:

> [...]
>>> http://p.sf.net/sfu/rsaconf-dev2dev

>> Throughout its 18-year history, RSA Conference consistently
>> attracts the
>> world's best and brightest in the field, creating opportunities for
>> Conference
>> attendees to learn about information security's most important
>> issues through
>> interactions with peers, luminaries and emerging and established
>> companies.
>> http://p.sf.net/sfu/rsaconf-dev2dev

> Throughout its 18-year history, RSA Conference consistently attracts
> the
> world's best and brightest in the field, creating opportunities for
> Conference
> attendees to learn about information security's most important
> issues through
> interactions with peers, luminaries and emerging and established

Sebastian Werner-2
Just to share a little. We plan to release our UML diagram support for
qooxdoo as open-source. We have this build around the generator's API
data to create diagrams for Eclipse UML2 tools. Not sure about a
release date yet. This requires modifications to the generator and
needs to be discussed with the qooxdoo core guys (Thomas, ...)

- Sebastian