Quantcast

Trying to set a font to a custom widget (fullcalendar wrapper)

Trying to set a font to a custom widget (fullcalendar wrapper)

yybalam
Hi folks.

I found this exemple at stackoverflow: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/26395286/qooxdoo-desktop-fullcalendar-integration

So, I dowloaded a resent version of FullCalendar (2.6.1) and create a custom widget as wrapper:

<pre>
qx.Class.define('rigel.ui.Calendar', {
        extend: qx.ui.core.Widget,

        construct: function() {
                this.base(arguments);
                this.addListenerOnce("appear", this._appearRenderer, this);
        },

        properties: {
                // overridden
                appearance :
                {
                        refine: true,
                        init: "fullcalendar"

        members: {
                _appearRenderer: function(event) {
                        var element = event.getTarget().getContentElement().getDomElement();
                        element.style.fontFamily = "JosefinSlab";
                        $(element).fullCalendar();
</pre>

As you can see I set directly "JosefinSlab" to fontFamily style property, because at moment is tho only way that I got it work.

I try defining it in my theme Font with "fullcalendar" key followind this doc: http://qooxdoo.readthedocs.org/en/latest/pages/desktop/ui_webfonts.html

Also I set an Appearance definition:

    "fullcalendar": {
                  style: function(states) {
                          return {
                                  font: "fullcalendar"
                          };

But I cannot get it work.

Some idea to set the font family from theme files?

Thanks.

Re: Trying to set a font to a custom widget (fullcalendar wrapper)

SQville
Hi,

I was able to accomplish this by enabling the existing font property of the Widget class by
1) mixing in the underlying functions then
2) setting the font property from my app's Appearance class

Example: Mixin code for enabling the font property on an Image
https://github.com/sqville/sqv/blob/master/source/class/sqv/ui/basic/MImage.js

My class above enables the font property on the Image class which is derived from the Widget class.

In my app i then include the mixin with the target class (in my case the Image class, see below)
// Prep the Image widget to have font handling abilities
qx.Class.include(qx.ui.basic.Image, sqv.ui.basic.MImage);

Try using my code as-is. Download sqv.ui.basic.MImage and include it directly into your new Calendar widget:
qx.Class.include(rigel.ui.Calendar, sqv.ui.basic.MImage);

This should give it the plumbing it needs for you to set via the Appearance class. Let me know how it goes.

SQ

Re: Trying to set a font to a custom widget (fullcalendar wrapper)

oetiker
Hi SQ,

about that ...

I would love to see your material design theme integrated into
qooxdoo propper ... it would be great to come out with qx 6 and a
modern look and feel ...

cheers
tobi

Yesterday SQville wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was able to accomplish this by enabling the existing font property of the
> Widget class by
> 1) mixing in the underlying functions then
> 2) setting the font property from my app's Appearance class
>
> Example: Mixin code for enabling the font property on an Image
> https://github.com/sqville/sqv/blob/master/source/class/sqv/ui/basic/MImage.js
>
> My class above enables the font property on the Image class which is derived
> from the Widget class.
>
> In my app i then include the mixin with the target class (in my case the
> Image class, see below)
> // Prep the Image widget to have font handling abilities
> qx.Class.include(qx.ui.basic.Image, sqv.ui.basic.MImage);
>
> Try using my code as-is. Download sqv.ui.basic.MImage and include it
> directly into your new Calendar widget:
> qx.Class.include(rigel.ui.Calendar, sqv.ui.basic.MImage);
>
> This should give it the plumbing it needs for you to set via the Appearance
> class. Let me know how it goes.
>
> SQ

www.oetiker.ch [hidden email] +41 62 775 9902

Re: Trying to set a font to a custom widget (fullcalendar wrapper)

Francisco Feijoo
Dear All,

I'm really happy to see new movements around qooxdoo. We use it internally in a few apps and coming from C++/Qt it's really easy to build apps compared to the nightmare of using other frameworks.

The main problem I see right now is that if you want to write an app you have to choose between the desktop or mobile widget set. Nowadays (at least for me) any web app has to be mobile ready, so how could we merge them?

I was thinking about using something like twitter boostrap or polymerjs as a reference and start extending mobile widgets but I'm far from being a javascript expert so what do you think?

Does it make sense to merge the widgets into one desktop & mobile friendly set?

I should have started a new thread but I saw qx6 and I couldn't resist ...

Yesterday SQville wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was able to accomplish this by enabling the existing font property of the
> Widget class by
> 1) mixing in the underlying functions then
> 2) setting the font property from my app's Appearance class
>
> Example: Mixin code for enabling the font property on an Image
> https://github.com/sqville/sqv/blob/master/source/class/sqv/ui/basic/MImage.js
>
> My class above enables the font property on the Image class which is derived
> from the Widget class.
>
> In my app i then include the mixin with the target class (in my case the
> Image class, see below)
> // Prep the Image widget to have font handling abilities
> qx.Class.include(qx.ui.basic.Image, sqv.ui.basic.MImage);
>
> Try using my code as-is. Download sqv.ui.basic.MImage and include it
> directly into your new Calendar widget:
> qx.Class.include(rigel.ui.Calendar, sqv.ui.basic.MImage);
>
> This should give it the plumbing it needs for you to set via the Appearance
> class. Let me know how it goes.
>
> SQ

www.oetiker.ch [hidden email] <a href="tel:%2B41%2062%20775%209902" value="+41627759902">+41 62 775 9902

Francisco Javier Feijoo Cano.

Re: Trying to set a font to a custom widget (fullcalendar wrapper)

oetiker
Hi Francisco,

qooxdoo desktop apps work just fine on mobile IF their layout is
done appropriately ...

cheers
tobi

Today Francisco Feijoo wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I'm really happy to see new movements around qooxdoo. We use it internally
> in a few apps and coming from C++/Qt it's really easy to build apps
> compared to the nightmare of using other frameworks.
>
> The main problem I see right now is that if you want to write an app you
> have to choose between the desktop or mobile widget set. Nowadays (at least
> for me) any web app has to be mobile ready, so how could we merge them?
>
> I was thinking about using something like twitter boostrap or polymerjs as
> a reference and start extending mobile widgets but I'm far from being a
> javascript expert so what do you think?
>
> Does it make sense to merge the widgets into one desktop & mobile friendly
> set?
>
> I should have started a new thread but I saw qx6 and I couldn't resist ...
>

> On 26 February 2016 at 08:31, Tobias Oetiker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi SQ,
> >
> > about that ...
> >
> > I would love to see your material design theme integrated into
> > qooxdoo propper ... it would be great to come out with qx 6 and a
> > modern look and feel ...
> >

> > cheers
> > tobi
> >
> > Yesterday SQville wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I was able to accomplish this by enabling the existing font property of
> > the
> > > Widget class by
> > > 1) mixing in the underlying functions then
> > > 2) setting the font property from my app's Appearance class
> > >
> > > Example: Mixin code for enabling the font property on an Image
> > >
> > https://github.com/sqville/sqv/blob/master/source/class/sqv/ui/basic/MImage.js
> > >
> > > My class above enables the font property on the Image class which is
> > derived
> > > from the Widget class.
> > >
> > > In my app i then include the mixin with the target class (in my case the
> > > Image class, see below)
> > > // Prep the Image widget to have font handling abilities
> > > qx.Class.include(qx.ui.basic.Image, sqv.ui.basic.MImage);
> > >
> > > Try using my code as-is. Download sqv.ui.basic.MImage and include it
> > > directly into your new Calendar widget:
> > > qx.Class.include(rigel.ui.Calendar, sqv.ui.basic.MImage);
> > >
> > > This should give it the plumbing it needs for you to set via the
> > Appearance
> > > class. Let me know how it goes.
> > >
> > > SQ
> > >

> > > --

> > --
> > Tobi Oetiker, OETIKER+PARTNER AG, Aarweg 15 CH-4600 Olten, Switzerland
> > www.oetiker.ch [hidden email] +41 62 775 9902

www.oetiker.ch [hidden email] +41 62 775 9902

Re: Trying to set a font to a custom widget (fullcalendar wrapper)

Derrell Lipman
Yes and no. You don't get the mobile "feel" when using qooxdoo desktop in a mobile enviornment. qx.mobile really is much better catered to the mobile environment. What I've ended up doing, since I need both environments, is putting all of my core "business logic" into a library containing mixins which are mixed in to both the corresponding desktop class and the corresponding mobile class. My differences in the desktop and mobile classes, therefore, are solely the interface differences. Anything that's the same between the two goes into the mixins.

I do much prefer the desktop environment. There's too much low-level mucking with things required in qx.mobile, but it definitely does have its benefits in the environment for which it was designed.

Derrell

On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 8:27 AM Tobias Oetiker <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> > > In my app i then include the mixin with the target class (in my case the
> > > Image class, see below)
> > > // Prep the Image widget to have font handling abilities
> > > qx.Class.include(qx.ui.basic.Image, sqv.ui.basic.MImage);
> > >
> > > Try using my code as-is. Download sqv.ui.basic.MImage and include it
> > > directly into your new Calendar widget:
> > > qx.Class.include(rigel.ui.Calendar, sqv.ui.basic.MImage);
> > >
> > > This should give it the plumbing it needs for you to set via the
> > Appearance
> > > class. Let me know how it goes.
> > >
> > > SQ
> > >

> > > --

> > --
> > Tobi Oetiker, OETIKER+PARTNER AG, Aarweg 15 CH-4600 Olten, Switzerland
> > www.oetiker.ch [hidden email] +41 62 775 9902

www.oetiker.ch [hidden email] +41 62 775 9902

Re: Trying to set a font to a custom widget (fullcalendar wrapper)

@SQville Thank you, a lot. :) You give me the key that I was needing. My scenario is actually a bit static, so now I get firs the contetElement:
var contentElement = event.getTarget().getContentElement();
And then apply the resolve font styles:

contentElement.setStyles(
  qx.theme.manager.Font.getInstance().resolve(this.getFont()).getStyles()
);
So now I get a nice Calendar on my app. :)

Re: Trying to set a font to a custom widget (fullcalendar wrapper)

Francisco Feijoo
Tobias,

What do you mean by the layout done appropriately

Derrel,

I also try to separate the interface code from the core but having to write the interface twice it's far from ideal.

I'll try to put something together and see if it makes sense.

Cheers.

@yybalm

Excellent! I was hoping the answer was in there somewhere :-)

Re: Trying to set a font to a custom widget (fullcalendar wrapper)

yybalam
About Francisco topic, I think the "Desktop scenario" still as an valid one. Recently I was looking for projects with Material Design support, precisely for do some lab with a framework with a "fluid and adataptive" UI, and I found things as Material-UI or Angular 2. But I found some issues too:

Out there is no one project so stable as qooxdoo, event ExtJS.
The responsive UI Widgets that I found are not enough for my use cases. For example, the majority of my users are teachers and students who need see a lot of academic data (classes, historical records, students lists, extracurricular events, and so on), actually the only real scenarios when my users require an mobile app are for class inscription and qualifications, for the rest there is no thing as a computer screen for work. I mean, still exist scenarios where a Desktop app is the best way to do some job, particularly in cases when is needed to display big tables, charts, big forms, etc.

Of course out there are a lot of other scenarios, in my case, I really would love a set of UI widgets in a middle way between Desktop and Mobile, for example for develop apps for students.

Particularly from qooxdoo, there is some desktop widget that I miss on mobile (like tables) and vice versa (why the noses desktop do not have a dialog widget meanwhile mobile does? O.o).

I think would be nice as community propound a way for develop a responsive set of widgets (and use the SQville Material work would even better), but also I think than desktop must still evolving just as desktop. Well, that I think. :)

@tobi: Agreed. Will do my best to move forward.

On 26.02.2016, at 16:37, Francisco Feijoo <[hidden email]> wrote:

Tobias,

What do you mean by the layout done appropriately

buttons must be large enogh, and scaleing appropriate for mobile operation ... I guess I would come up with two interface designs that get switched over as the screen size shrinks.

the important thing is that qx desktop is fully touch aware.

cheers
tobi