Tooltip appearing behind a qx.ui.window.Window

Tooltip appearing behind a qx.ui.window.Window

Jonathan Wolfe
Hi,

What would cause a tooltip to appear behind a qx.ui.window.Window? I have a set of widgets in the window that I am setting tooltips on and they are appearing behind the window.  I've tried to use the method setZIndex to a very high number in the qx.ui.core.Widget class on the tooltip, but that doesn't appear to solve the problem either. Any suggestions?

Jonathan Wolfe Meteorologist
Charleston Pilot Project

Charleston, WV National Weather Service
304-746-0190

Re: Tooltip appearing behind a qx.ui.window.Window

Daniel Wagner

you could try adding a break point to
qx.ui.popup.Manager.__updateIndexes. It should be called whenever a
tooltip is shown.

Regards,
Daniel

On 18.03.2014 11:20, Jonathan Wolfe wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What would cause a tooltip to appear behind a qx.ui.window.Window? I
> have a set of widgets in the window that I am setting tooltips on and
> they are appearing behind the window.  I've tried to use the method
> setZIndex to a very high number in the qx.ui.core.Widget class on the
> tooltip, but that doesn't appear to solve the problem either. Any
> suggestions?
> *
> *
> *Jonathan Wolfe**| Meteorologist
> Charleston Pilot Project ***********
> *Charleston, WV **National Weather Service
> 304-746-0190*
> *preview.weather.gov/edd <http://preview.weather.gov/edd>
>

> *

> http://p.sf.net/sfu/13534_NeoTech

Re: Tooltip appearing behind a qx.ui.window.Window

Jonathan Wolfe
Hi Daniel,

qx.ui.popup.Manager.__updateIndexes is firing, but the ToolTip still ends up under the window. It's kind of interesting because if I maximize the chrome debugger tool to take up more of the screen, it will sometimes cause the tooltip to be shown above the window, but not always...odd.

Jonathan Wolfe Meteorologist
Charleston Pilot Project

Charleston, WV National Weather Service
304-746-0190

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 11:10 AM, Daniel Wagner <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

you could try adding a break point to
qx.ui.popup.Manager.__updateIndexes. It should be called whenever a
tooltip is shown.

Regards,
Daniel

On 18.03.2014 11:20, Jonathan Wolfe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What would cause a tooltip to appear behind a qx.ui.window.Window? I
> have a set of widgets in the window that I am setting tooltips on and
> they are appearing behind the window.  I've tried to use the method
> setZIndex to a very high number in the qx.ui.core.Widget class on the
> tooltip, but that doesn't appear to solve the problem either. Any
> suggestions?
> *
> *
> *Jonathan Wolfe**| Meteorologist
> Charleston Pilot Project ***********
> *Charleston, WV **National Weather Service
> *preview.weather.gov/edd <http://preview.weather.gov/edd>
>

> *

> http://p.sf.net/sfu/13534_NeoTech

Re: Tooltip appearing behind a qx.ui.window.Window

Jonathan Wolfe
After further investigating, this appears to only happen in Chrome.

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 1:04 PM, Jonathan Wolfe <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Daniel,

qx.ui.popup.Manager.__updateIndexes is firing, but the ToolTip still ends up under the window. It's kind of interesting because if I maximize the chrome debugger tool to take up more of the screen, it will sometimes cause the tooltip to be shown above the window, but not always...odd.

Jonathan Wolfe Meteorologist
Charleston Pilot Project

Charleston, WV National Weather Service

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 11:10 AM, Daniel Wagner <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

you could try adding a break point to
qx.ui.popup.Manager.__updateIndexes. It should be called whenever a
tooltip is shown.

Regards,
Daniel

On 18.03.2014 11:20, Jonathan Wolfe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What would cause a tooltip to appear behind a qx.ui.window.Window? I
> have a set of widgets in the window that I am setting tooltips on and
> they are appearing behind the window.  I've tried to use the method
> setZIndex to a very high number in the qx.ui.core.Widget class on the
> tooltip, but that doesn't appear to solve the problem either. Any
> suggestions?
> *
> *
> *Jonathan Wolfe**| Meteorologist
> Charleston Pilot Project ***********
> *Charleston, WV **National Weather Service
> *preview.weather.gov/edd <http://preview.weather.gov/edd>
>

> *

> http://p.sf.net/sfu/13534_NeoTech

Re: Tooltip appearing behind a qx.ui.window.Window

Rob Franken

Hi Jonathan,
Just something to try because i had a (perhaps similar) stacking issue in chrome: could you try to disable hardware acceleration in chrome and or test this in chrome canary?

--
Rob

On Mar 18, 2014 6:18 PM, "Jonathan Wolfe" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> After further investigating, this appears to only happen in Chrome.
>

> Jonathan Wolfe |  Meteorologist
> Charleston Pilot Project
> Charleston, WV National Weather Service
> 304-746-0190
> preview.weather.gov/edd

Re: Tooltip appearing behind a qx.ui.window.Window

Jonathan Wolfe
Hi Rob,

Thanks for the heads up! Switching to Canary did solve the issue! So I guess, I just wait for Chrome to catch up...

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 1:45 PM, Rob Franken <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Jonathan,
Just something to try because i had a (perhaps similar) stacking issue in chrome: could you try to disable hardware acceleration in chrome and or test this in chrome canary?

--
Rob

On Mar 18, 2014 6:18 PM, "Jonathan Wolfe" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> After further investigating, this appears to only happen in Chrome.
>

> Jonathan Wolfe |  Meteorologist
> Charleston Pilot Project
> Charleston, WV National Weather Service
> preview.weather.gov/edd

Re: Tooltip appearing behind a qx.ui.window.Window

Rob Franken
Hi Jonathan,

At my place i had dificulty in getting a minimal reproduction (A lot of interwoven code and each attempt at a minimal reproduction failed to reproduce the problem) so I kinda made the same decission to wait for chrome to catch up, but now that there are two cases of a somewhat similar issue (at least the same fix and the issue looks like something with element ordering) it might be possible to find (or at least distill the requirements for) a reproduction scenario. Are you interested in helping me find that?

--
Rob

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 8:00 PM, Jonathan Wolfe <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Rob,

Thanks for the heads up! Switching to Canary did solve the issue! So I guess, I just wait for Chrome to catch up...

Re: Tooltip appearing behind a qx.ui.window.Window

Jonathan Wolfe
Hi Rob,

I can try, but it's likely I'll need hand holding. I'm a self-taught programmer that has been programming for about 7 years so that should give you some indication of my skillset. ;-) Let me know what I can do to help. Thanks!

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 3:22 PM, Rob Franken <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hello Jonathan,

My first question would be, are there any non vanilla qooxdoo components on the webpage, for me that was quite a list and i couldn't figure out which were and which weren't needed for the reproduction. If we get a list we can perhaps see some similarities in those lists and test if dropping some of them gives the same issues of if dropping them solves it

a short list for me
 - Silverlight components (may they burn)
 - KineticJS HTML5 drawing library
 - Own extensions to TableModel classes
 - Some more own components
 - Ajax longpolling push implementation

This is a nonexhaustive somewhat ordered list of components that are not really qooxdoo code on my page, the ordering is based on how likely i think they might have something to do with this issue.

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 8:45 PM, Jonathan Wolfe <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I have:

Flot (JS Plotting lib) which inherently includes jQuery
Google Maps API v3.10
OpenLayers
SmartTable (Qx contrib)
and some others that are more statistical in nature.

I'm thinking it may be Flot since I am using Flot tooltips in that window which may bump the Qx tooltip down the ZIndex chain. OpenLayers and Google Maps do not operate within the window while Flot does...Interesting that it is only a Chrome issue and Canary fixes it...