Theming

12

Theming

Vincent Vandenschrick
Hi all,
I'm trying to improve the L&F of my qooxdoo applications and I wonder if there is any possibility to mimic the "glowy" shadow border of twitter bootstrap css focus borders using the qooxdoo desktop theming infrastructure (e.g. http://getbootstrap.com/css/#forms-control-focus). Moreover, correct me if I'm wrong, but there is no way of using an external CSS in order to style a desktop qooxdoo component, right ?

Thanks in advance for any hint.

Vincent

Re: Theming

N. Schröder
Hi Vincent,

here is a quick & dirty example of how you could style a qooxdoo desktop
widget with a glowy border:
http://tinyurl.com/l9fyee4

As to your second question: you are right.

Best regards,

   Norbert

Am 26.04.2015 um 16:24 schrieb Vincent Vandenschrick:

> Hi all,
> I'm trying to improve the L&F of my qooxdoo applications and I wonder if there is any possibility to mimic the "glowy" shadow border of twitter bootstrap css focus borders using the qooxdoo desktop theming infrastructure (e.g. http://getbootstrap.com/css/#forms-control-focus). Moreover, correct me if I'm wrong, but there is no way of using an external CSS in order to style a desktop qooxdoo component, right ?
>
> Thanks in advance for any hint.
>
> Vincent

Re: Theming

Vincent Vandenschrick
Thank you Norbert, that looks great. An extra question : is there a way, through theming or app code itself, to animate the border focus change like Bootstrap CSS does ?

Thanks again,
Vincent

> Le 27 avr. 2015 à 00:30, Norbert Schröder <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Hi Vincent,
>
> here is a quick & dirty example of how you could style a qooxdoo desktop
> widget with a glowy border:
> http://tinyurl.com/l9fyee4
>
> As to your second question: you are right.
>
> Best regards,
>
>   Norbert
>

> Am 26.04.2015 um 16:24 schrieb Vincent Vandenschrick:
>> Hi all,
>> I'm trying to improve the L&F of my qooxdoo applications and I wonder if there is any possibility to mimic the "glowy" shadow border of twitter bootstrap css focus borders using the qooxdoo desktop theming infrastructure (e.g. http://getbootstrap.com/css/#forms-control-focus). Moreover, correct me if I'm wrong, but there is no way of using an external CSS in order to style a desktop qooxdoo component, right ?
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any hint.
>>
>> Vincent

Re: Theming

N. Schröder
Hello Vincent,

I'm not aware of any way to animate the focus change. As qooxdoo's animation capabilities in general are concerned there is still some room for improvement...

Best regards,

Norbert

Vincent Vandenschrick schrieb am 27.04.2015 09:22:

> Thank you Norbert, that looks great. An extra question : is there a way,
> through theming or app code itself, to animate the border focus change like
> Bootstrap CSS does ?
>
> Thanks again,
> Vincent
>
>> Le 27 avr. 2015 à 00:30, Norbert Schröder <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>
>> Hi Vincent,
>>
>> here is a quick & dirty example of how you could style a qooxdoo desktop
>> widget with a glowy border:
>> http://tinyurl.com/l9fyee4
>>
>> As to your second question: you are right.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>>   Norbert
>>

>> Am 26.04.2015 um 16:24 schrieb Vincent Vandenschrick:
>>> Hi all,
>>> I'm trying to improve the L&F of my qooxdoo applications and I wonder if
>>> there is any possibility to mimic the "glowy" shadow border of twitter
>>> bootstrap css focus borders using the qooxdoo desktop theming infrastructure
>>> (e.g. http://getbootstrap.com/css/#forms-control-focus). Moreover, correct me
>>> if I'm wrong, but there is no way of using an external CSS in order to style
>>> a desktop qooxdoo component, right ?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance for any hint.
>>>
>>> Vincent

Re: Theming

Vincent Vandenschrick
Thank you Norbert. That's what I thought, unfortunately.

--
Vincent Vandenschrick

> Le 27 avr. 2015 à 10:40, Norbert Schroeder <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Hello Vincent,
>
> I'm not aware of any way to animate the focus change. As qooxdoo's animation capabilities in general are concerned there is still some room for improvement...
>
> Best regards,
>
> Norbert
>

> Vincent Vandenschrick schrieb am 27.04.2015 09:22:
>
>> Thank you Norbert, that looks great. An extra question : is there a way,
>> through theming or app code itself, to animate the border focus change like
>> Bootstrap CSS does ?
>>
>> Thanks again,
>> Vincent
>>
>>> Le 27 avr. 2015 à 00:30, Norbert Schröder <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>>
>>> Hi Vincent,
>>>
>>> here is a quick & dirty example of how you could style a qooxdoo desktop
>>> widget with a glowy border:
>>> http://tinyurl.com/l9fyee4
>>>
>>> As to your second question: you are right.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>>
>>>  Norbert

Re: Theming

Vincent Vandenschrick
Hi all,
For the record, I've succeeded in animating the focus by writing a simple Decorator mixin and then using the "transition" property in decorators for the focus state. Here is the source code :

the apply it as stated in the docs :
qx.Class.patch(qx.ui.decoration.Decorator, org.jspresso.framework.patch.MTransition);

and use the transition property in the decorator theme definition, e.g. :
"focused-inset": {
  style: {
    radius: 2,
    width: 1,
    color: "background-selected",
    shadowBlurRadius: 2,
    shadowColor: "background-selected",
    shadowLength: 0,
    transition: "all 200ms ease-out"

Best,
Vincent

Le 27 avr. 2015 à 22:46, Vincent Vandenschrick <[hidden email]> a écrit :

[...]

I've just tried your mixin. It works like a charm - and provides a good starting point for further experimentation.

Thanks a lot for sharing,

Norbert

https://github.com/jspresso/jspresso-ce/blob/master/qooxdoo/client/src/main/js/org/jspresso/framework/patch/MTransition.js

[...]

http://ad.doubleclick.net/ddm/clk/290420510;117567292;y

Re: Theming

Vincent Vandenschrick
Thank you Norbert,

And I've just discovered that it can work for almost anything! For instance, I've used the collapsable panel in order to build an accordion. Styling it with a "transition" makes the accordion sections smoothly close / open instead of switching abruptly from one state to the other. This CSS3 feature is just amazing; It's actually a big source of improvement for making qooxdoo apps look more "actual".

Best,
Vincent

Le 1 mai 2015 à 15:22, N. Schröder <[hidden email]> a écrit :

[...]

George Nikolaidis
Vincent, thank you!

We have integrated your wonderful patch in our soon to be released
qx.Desktop application, I cannot overstate how much eye-candy it added
to its look and feel.

And yes, it works for everything - borders, backgrounds, sizes etc!

George Nikolaidis ([hidden email])
MEng, MSc Information Systems
Ergobyte Informatics S.A.
Innovative Software Development
21 Aristotelous str., 54624 Thessaloniki, Greece
Tel: +302310288434, Fax: +302310288134
Website:www.ergobyte.gr

On 29/04/2015 08:14 μμ, Vincent Vandenschrick wrote:

> Hi all,
> For the record, I've succeeded in animating the focus by writing a
> simple Decorator mixin and then using the "transition" property in
> decorators for the focus state. Here is the source code :
>
> https://github.com/jspresso/jspresso-ce/blob/master/qooxdoo/client/src/main/js/org/jspresso/framework/patch/MTransition.js
>
> the apply it as stated in the docs :
> qx.Class.patch(qx.ui.decoration.Decorator, org.jspresso.framework.patch.MTransition);
>
> and use the transition property in the decorator theme definition, e.g. :
> "focused-inset": {
>    style: {
>      radius: 2,
>      width: 1,
>      color: "background-selected",
>      shadowBlurRadius: 2,
>      shadowColor: "background-selected",
>      shadowLength: 0,
>      transition: "all 200ms ease-out"
>    }
> }
>
> Best,
> Vincent

Re: Theming

Vincent Vandenschrick
Hi George,
Great to hear about that. I must admit it has been a real surprise for me either ;-)

> Le 1 mai 2015 à 18:51, George Nikolaidis <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Vincent, thank you!
>
> We have integrated your wonderful patch in our soon to be released
> qx.Desktop application, I cannot overstate how much eye-candy it added
> to its look and feel.
>
> And yes, it works for everything - borders, backgrounds, sizes etc!
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> George Nikolaidis ([hidden email])
> MEng, MSc Information Systems
> Ergobyte Informatics S.A.
> Innovative Software Development
> 21 Aristotelous str., 54624 Thessaloniki, Greece
> Tel: +302310288434, Fax: +302310288134
> Website:www.ergobyte.gr
>
> On 29/04/2015 08:14 μμ, Vincent Vandenschrick wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> For the record, I've succeeded in animating the focus by writing a
>> simple Decorator mixin and then using the "transition" property in
>> decorators for the focus state. Here is the source code :
>>
>> https://github.com/jspresso/jspresso-ce/blob/master/qooxdoo/client/src/main/js/org/jspresso/framework/patch/MTransition.js
>>
>> the apply it as stated in the docs :
>> qx.Class.patch(qx.ui.decoration.Decorator, org.jspresso.framework.patch.MTransition);
>>
>> and use the transition property in the decorator theme definition, e.g. :
>> "focused-inset": {
>>   style: {
>>     radius: 2,
>>     width: 1,
>>     color: "background-selected",
>>     shadowBlurRadius: 2,
>>     shadowColor: "background-selected",
>>     shadowLength: 0,
>>     transition: "all 200ms ease-out"
>>   }
>> }
>>
>> Best,
>> Vincent

Re: Theming

Tom Saddul
From the responses of others, it looks like this is a very nice feature.  I would love to use it but what is the best method to use it?  Do I need to modify qx.theme.modern.Decoration.js to include the changes in the "Transition" property?

Re: Theming

Phyo Arkar
I think we should start a Qooxdoo extension project.
Current Contrib is not organized and people rarely keep maintinaing.
How about we, the community do things that core qooxdoo do not have , but all keep in a same repo (something like https://github.com/borisyankov/DefinitelyTyped)

There we will maintain existing contrib project which are no longer maintained , such as

Accordion
Uploadmgr
Collapsible Panel
Themes
And many other awesome qxcontribs.

Issue managed will use Github's issue manager.
Project management will use a Public trello board. Where we will post our wishlists.

I am also planning to pay Boundies for improvement of qooxdoo and new widgets.

If anyone intrested i will start a repo.

On Fri, May 1, 2015 at 11:30 PM, Vincent Vandenschrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi George,
Great to hear about that. I must admit it has been a real surprise for me either ;-)

> Le 1 mai 2015 à 18:51, George Nikolaidis <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Vincent, thank you!
>
> We have integrated your wonderful patch in our soon to be released
> qx.Desktop application, I cannot overstate how much eye-candy it added
> to its look and feel.
>
> And yes, it works for everything - borders, backgrounds, sizes etc!
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> George Nikolaidis ([hidden email])
> MEng, MSc Information Systems
> Ergobyte Informatics S.A.
> Innovative Software Development
> 21 Aristotelous str., 54624 Thessaloniki, Greece
> Tel: +302310288434, Fax: +302310288134
> Website:www.ergobyte.gr
>
> On 29/04/2015 08:14 μμ, Vincent Vandenschrick wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> For the record, I've succeeded in animating the focus by writing a
>> simple Decorator mixin and then using the "transition" property in
>> decorators for the focus state. Here is the source code :
>>
>> https://github.com/jspresso/jspresso-ce/blob/master/qooxdoo/client/src/main/js/org/jspresso/framework/patch/MTransition.js
>>
>> the apply it as stated in the docs :
>> qx.Class.patch(qx.ui.decoration.Decorator, org.jspresso.framework.patch.MTransition);
>>
>> and use the transition property in the decorator theme definition, e.g. :
>>  "focused-inset": {
>>   style: {
>>     radius: 2,
>>     width: 1,
>>     color: "background-selected",
>>     shadowBlurRadius: 2,
>>     shadowColor: "background-selected",
>>     shadowLength: 0,
>>     transition: "all 200ms ease-out"
>>   }
>> }
>>
>> Best,
>> Vincent

Re: Theming

Tom Saddul

I wish there is an easier way to integrated that in my app too but I would need to find a way of adding that "transition" property to the modern theme without editing the source.  Too bad I'm not a javascript/css/html guy so I would have to stick with the basic modern theme for now.

Re: Theming

SQville
Vincent,

add this to your Mixin to make it cross browser:

// Transition
var transitionpropName = qx.core.Environment.get("css.transition");
transitionpropName = qx.bom.Style.getCssName(transitionpropName.name);

Then use the variable in your _styleTransition function:

styles[transitionpropName] = transition;

Re: Theming

SQville
Tom,

it's super easy. Just add Vincent's one Mixin class to your project and rename his mixin to anything. in his Mixin change:

qx.Mixin.define("org.jspresso.framework.patch.MTransition", {

qx.Mixin.define("toms.application.MTransition", {

Run generate.py source then add this one line of code to your Application.js file:

qx.Class.include(qx.ui.decoration.Decorator, toms.application.MTransition);

That's it.

Chris

Re: Theming

Vincent Vandenschrick
Thank you Chris,
I've applied your patch to mine.

> Le 5 mai 2015 à 21:20, SQville <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Vincent,
>
> add this to your Mixin to make it cross browser:
>
> // Transition
> var transitionpropName = qx.core.Environment.get("css.transition");
> transitionpropName = qx.bom.Style.getCssName(transitionpropName.name);
>
> Then use the variable in your _styleTransition function:
>
> styles[transitionpropName] = transition;

Re: Theming

Dietrich Streifert
Hi Vincent!

Do you have any demo of your theme publicly online?

Sounds very impressive and interesting!

Regards
Dietrich

Am 05.05.2015 um 22:03 schrieb Vincent Vandenschrick:

> Thank you Chris,
> I've applied your patch to mine.

> One dashboard for servers and applications across
> Physical-Virtual-Cloud Widest out-of-the-box monitoring support with
> 50+ applications Performance metrics, stats and reports that give you
> Actionable Insights Deep dive visibility with transaction tracing
> using APM Insight.

Re: Theming

Vincent Vandenschrick
Hi Dietrich,
Sure, you can test-drive a very simple Jspresso demo app with new theme here (log in with demo/demo):

http://www.jspresso.org/hrsample-webapp/html5

Feel free to play around; it's an in-memory db and the server is restarted every 15 minutes, so you can just go and break everything :-)

And if you get there with your phone or tablet, you will have the mobile version for free.

Regards,
Vincent

> Le 6 mai 2015 à 16:46, Dietrich Streifert <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Hi Vincent!
>
> Do you have any demo of your theme publicly online?
>
> Sounds very impressive and interesting!
>
> Regards
> Dietrich
>
> Am 05.05.2015 um 22:03 schrieb Vincent Vandenschrick:
>> Thank you Chris,
>> I've applied your patch to mine.

>> One dashboard for servers and applications across
>> Physical-Virtual-Cloud Widest out-of-the-box monitoring support with
>> 50+ applications Performance metrics, stats and reports that give you
>> Actionable Insights Deep dive visibility with transaction tracing
>> using APM Insight.
>> http://ad.doubleclick.net/ddm/clk/290420510;117567292;y

Re: Theming

Dietrich Streifert
Really nice!

I'm searching for a simple flat theme for a coming project.

I've also seen the work of Chris (SQville) which also seems to be very
clear and flat.

The crowning touch would be able to use Font Awsome or similar as icons
(http://fortawesome.github.io/Font-Awesome/icons/).

Am 07.05.2015 um 01:18 schrieb Vincent Vandenschrick:

> Hi Dietrich,
> Sure, you can test-drive a very simple Jspresso demo app with new theme here (log in with demo/demo):
>
> http://www.jspresso.org/hrsample-webapp/html5
>
> Feel free to play around; it's an in-memory db and the server is restarted every 15 minutes, so you can just go and break everything :-)
>
> And if you get there with your phone or tablet, you will have the mobile version for free.
>
> Regards,
> Vincent

12