Tcp client/server communication

Frédéric
Hi!

I'm starting to implement the client/server communication for my mobile
home automation application.

I first want to communicate with linknx¹, which is listening on a unix
socket, on port 1028 (requests and responses are xml-based).

See:

    http://sourceforge.net/p/linknx/wiki/Interacting_with_Linknx

How can I do that with qooxdoo? I don't think Xhr is the correct
way to do that. Could you point me in the right direction?

    Frédéric

Re: Tcp client/server communication

John Spackman-3
Because the browser communicates via HTTP this would not be possible directly because there isn’t a way for the browser to talk arbitrary TCP.  You could write a web server for the browser to talk to, which would  proxy your requests onto the linknx server.

John

Le Tuesday 17 February 2015, John a écrit :

> Because the browser communicates via HTTP this would not be possible
> directly because there isn’t a way for the browser to talk arbitrary
> TCP.  You could write a web server for the browser to talk to, which
> would  proxy your requests onto the linknx server.

Ok, I understand.

knxweb2, which is a web gui client for linknx, uses a php script, which
itself opens a socket.

Using a cgi script could be another solution, I guess?

--
    Frédéric

Re: Tcp client/server communication

John Spackman-3
Yes, anything on the server that proxies for your browser would do it

John

> On 17 Feb 2015, at 19:35, Frédéric <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Le Tuesday 17 February 2015, John a écrit :
>
>> Because the browser communicates via HTTP this would not be possible
>> directly because there isn’t a way for the browser to talk arbitrary
>> TCP.  You could write a web server for the browser to talk to, which
>> would  proxy your requests onto the linknx server.
>
> Ok, I understand.
>
> knxweb2, which is a web gui client for linknx, uses a php script, which
> itself opens a socket.
>
> Using a cgi script could be another solution, I guess?
>
> --
>    Frédéric

Re: Tcp client/server communication

Varol Okan
if you have the choice I'd combine
NodeJS +
SocketIO ( http://davidwalsh.name/websocket )+
ZeroMQ ( this is if you need to communicate on the server side to / with
other scripts, like Perl, Python etc ) +
time and fun.

Varol

Le Wednesday 18 February 2015, Varol a écrit :

> if you have the choice I'd combine
> NodeJS +
> SocketIO ( http://davidwalsh.name/websocket )+
> ZeroMQ ( this is if you need to communicate on the server side to /
> with other scripts, like Perl, Python etc ) +
> time and fun.

Thanks for the tips; I'll dig that way (entire new to me).

Le Wednesday 18 February 2015, Frédéric a écrit :

> > if you have the choice I'd combine
> > NodeJS +
> > SocketIO ( http://davidwalsh.name/websocket )+
> > ZeroMQ ( this is if you need to communicate on the server side to /
> > with other scripts, like Perl, Python etc ) +
> > time and fun.
>
> Thanks for the tips; I'll dig that way (entire new to me).

But before I switch to this solution, I would like to use the same
technic used by knxweb2: calling a php script (using JQuery) which in
turn opens the Tcp socket to communicate with the server (linknx).

The question is: where should I put this php script (linknx.php), in
order to use it with this code:

qx.Class.define("pknyxui.model.LinknxService",
{
    type: "singleton",

    extend: qx.core.Object,

    members:
    {
        query: function(message) {
            var t = new Date().getTime();
            var data = null;
            var req = jQuery.ajax({
                type: "post",
                url: "linknx.php?action=cmd&nocache=" + t,
                data: message,
                processData: false,
                dataType: 'xml',
                async: false,
                success: function(responseXML, status) {
                    var xmlResponse = responseXML.documentElement;
                    // [snip]
            return data;

    Frédéric

Re: Tcp client/server communication

Loren Schlomer-2
On the same (sub)domain that is currently serving the qooxdoo
application .js files, otherwise you'll run in to the cross domain
issues.

Le Thursday 19 February 2015, Loren a écrit :

> On the same (sub)domain that is currently serving the qooxdoo
> application .js files, otherwise you'll run in to the cross domain
> issues.

I was thinking to put in in my qooxdoo client hierarchy... But what is
the best place for such helper script? At top level? Or should I create
a sub-dir?

--
    Frédéric

Re: Tcp client/server communication

John Spackman-3
the jQuery code says it all:

        url: "linknx.php?action=cmd&nocache=" + t,

the url will be linknx.php, so it must be in the same folder as the qooxdoo app - but it might be easier for you if you put it in the root of the website and make the url “/linknx.php…”.

Once you’ve got a proof of concept working, you might like to try swapping jQuery.ajax for Qooxdoo’s qx.io.remote.Request; it’s not essential but it would remove a dependency on jQuery

John

Le Friday 20 February 2015, John a écrit :

> the jQuery code says it all:
>
> url: "linknx.php?action=cmd&nocache=" + t,
>
> the url will be linknx.php, so it must be in the same folder as the
> qooxdoo app - but it might be easier for you if you put it in the
> root of the website and make the url “/linknx.php…”.

I see. But I would like this script to be packaged together with my
app, when I build it. Do I need to do something special, for that ?

> Once you’ve got a proof of concept working, you might like to try
> swapping jQuery.ajax for Qooxdoo’s qx.io.remote.Request; it’s not
> essential but it would remove a dependency on jQuery

I'll switch tqx.io.remote.Requestst right now, as it does not seems
to be very complicated.

Thanks!

there are a couple of ways to do this: you add a job in config.json that uses the copy-files command, or you can put the php file in the resources folder and then add an @asset(pknyxui/linknx.php) tag in the comment at the top of the main class file (the comment has to start "/**", not “/*”) so that the generator knows to copy it over into the build version

The @asset method requires that to get the actual URL, you need to use qx.util.ResourceManager.toUri(“pknyxui/linknx.php”).

Re: Tcp client/server communication

Frédéric
Le Friday 20 February 2015, John a écrit :

> there are a couple of ways to do this: you add a job in config.json
> that uses the copy-files command, or you can put the php file in the
> resources folder and then add an @asset(pknyxui/linknx.php) tag in
> the comment at the top of the main class file (the comment has to
> start "/**", not “/*”) so that the generator knows to copy it over
> into the build version
>
> The @asset method requires that to get the actual URL, you need to
> use qx.util.ResourceManager.toUri(“pknyxui/linknx.php”).

Thanks!

--
    Frédéric

Re: Tcp client/server communication

Frédéric
Not as simple as I thought :o/

My problem is that I serve my application source using python:

    $ python -m "SimpleHTTPServer"

But I can't serve php scripts using that simple method...

My first idea was to write another little python server to make the php
script job (act as a gateway between linknx Tcp socket and my http
client request).

But it seems that using 2 different http ports is like cross-domain
request; Am I right?

Any suggestion how I could do that, in a simple way? I would like to
avoid to switch to apache for such simple tests!

--
    Frédéric

Re: Tcp client/server communication

John Spackman-3
you may well be right about cross domain problems, but IMHO it might be simpler in the long run to setup apache now.  At least you’ll know that your tests will be compatible with the production server

John

> On 20 Feb 2015, at 09:59, Frédéric <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Not as simple as I thought :o/
>
> My problem is that I serve my application source using python:
>
>    $ python -m "SimpleHTTPServer"
>
> But I can't serve php scripts using that simple method...
>
> My first idea was to write another little python server to make the php
> script job (act as a gateway between linknx Tcp socket and my http
> client request).
>
> But it seems that using 2 different http ports is like cross-domain
> request; Am I right?
>
> Any suggestion how I could do that, in a simple way? I would like to
> avoid to switch to apache for such simple tests!
>
> --
>    Frédéric

Re: Tcp client/server communication

Frédéric
Le Friday 20 February 2015, John a écrit :

> you may well be right about cross domain problems, but IMHO it might
> be simpler in the long run to setup apache now.  At least you’ll know
> that your tests will be compatible with the production server

Good point.

--
    Frédéric