Somebody using qxoo with Titanium Appcelerator Mobile?

Somebody using qxoo with Titanium Appcelerator Mobile?

Stefan A
Hej Dietrich!

>I've just started prototyping an app for iOs and Android withh Titanium
>Studio using Titanium Mobile SDK 1.7.3.

>As I'm used to qooxdoos OO part I had of course the idea to use qxoo
>with Titanium Mobile which is a javascript wrapper against native API calls.
>rhino (on android) and webkit (on ios) are used as JS engines.

>Does anybody tested or uses qxoo in this environment? What about memory
>leaks and memory requirements?

We already use qooxdoo as the javascript base with Titanium. We call it qooxdoo-titanium and is a specific
wrapper for Titanium calls within qooxdoo. Project will be contributed later on.

Memory leaks are less with qooxdoo than the default javascript framework.

Titanium compiled apps eat memory! The increase with qooxdoo is not that much.

>Any comment or help would be great!

It works really nice for the components we have developed wrappers. Our intention was to make it
as close to the desktop version of qooxdooas possible, but the mobile version of qooxdoo deviates a lot in design
in terms of ui.

Integration is not that difficult. We decided to only write wrappers for the ui components and
leave the other classes outside and callable as is. The reason for wrappers was purely to get
transferable code. Unfortunately, the qooxdoo mobile version has not been harmonized with this
"semi-hardware-calling" framework.

You get a "closer-to-native" application but not native. Pure native can only be achieved through the
OS based programming language. Titanium is also a cut-off wrapper! Though it gives a slightly increased
control compared to web desktop apps like produced by PhoneGap.

Stefan

>Best Regards...
>Dietrich

Re: Somebody using qxoo with Titanium Appcelerator Mobile?

Dietrich Streifert
Thank you for your answer Stefan.

Am 03.11.2011 12:04, schrieb Stefan Andersson:

> Hej Dietrich!
>
> >I've just started prototyping an app for iOs and Android withh Titanium
> >Studio using Titanium Mobile SDK 1.7.3.
>
> >As I'm used to qooxdoos OO part I had of course the idea to use qxoo
> >with Titanium Mobile which is a javascript wrapper against native API calls.
> >rhino (on android) and webkit (on ios) are used as JS engines.
>
> >Does anybody tested or uses qxoo in this environment? What about memory
> >leaks and memory requirements?
>
> We already use qooxdoo as the javascript base with Titanium. We call it qooxdoo-titanium and is a specific
> wrapper for Titanium calls within qooxdoo. Project will be contributed later on.
>
> Memory leaks are less with qooxdoo than the default javascript framework.
>
> Titanium compiled apps eat memory! The increase with qooxdoo is not that much.

So as I'm only searching for a way to structure code and logic of the
app the "qooxdoo way" I'll only use qxoo without ui wrappers for
Titanium.UI etc. which should have less memory consumption then your
Ti.UI wrapper version.

As for the first prototype of the app I've used John Resigs simple
javascript inheritance implementation
(http://ejohn.org/blog/simple-javascript-inheritance/) which lacks
support of properties with automatic getters and setters, mixins,
singletons et. al. but has a small code footprint.

Do you have any apps already distributed in the app store?

> >Any comment or help would be great!
>
> It works really nice for the components we have developed wrappers. Our intention was to make it
> as close to the desktop version of qooxdooas possible, but the mobile version of qooxdoo deviates a lot in design
> in terms of ui.
>
> Integration is not that difficult. We decided to only write wrappers for the ui components and
> leave the other classes outside and callable as is. The reason for wrappers was purely to get
> transferable code. Unfortunately, the qooxdoo mobile version has not been harmonized with this
> "semi-hardware-calling" framework.
>
> You get a "closer-to-native" application but not native. Pure native can only be achieved through the
> OS based programming language. Titanium is also a cut-off wrapper! Though it gives a slightly increased
> control compared to web desktop apps like produced by PhoneGap.
>
> Stefan
Thank you again for sharing this information.

Regards...
Dietrich

Re: Somebody using qxoo with Titanium Appcelerator Mobile?

Stefan A
Hej Dietrich!

>So as I'm only searching for a way to structure code and logic of the
>app the "qooxdoo way" I'll only use qxoo without ui wrappers for
>Titanium.UI etc. which should have less memory consumption then your
>Ti.UI wrapper version.

yes, it will be even leaner. Good choice if size is very important.

>As for the first prototype of the app I've used John Resigs simple
>javascript inheritance implementation
>(http://ejohn.org/blog/simple-javascript-inheritance/) which lacks
>support of properties with automatic getters and setters, mixins,
>singletons et. al. but has a small code footprint.

Also a very good choice for the purpose.

The question is what next generation of your app will look like. Is your above choices right for
future developments of your app or does it increase work load later on? This I think is the most
important question for you now... We decided to try to make it universal already now and therefore
put in the big efforts at start.

>Do you have any apps already distributed in the app store?
Not yet until we finished our thorough testing. Expected to be launched in Dec in the app store.
We will tell you then...

Stefan

Am 03.11.2011 13:30, schrieb Stefan Andersson:
> >Do you have any apps already distributed in the app store?
> Not yet until we finished our thorough testing. Expected to be
> launched in Dec in the app store.
> We will tell you then...
>
> Stefan

Yep! Please keep us informed!