Search functionality on Table Columns

kanugula

Hi,

My users are asking some kind of search functionality at Table column level.
They want to see a row of text field above each Table Column to filter data.

I am just thinking of something like this.

Just above the main table, I will create another table with no columns and
one row of Text Fields with same number of columns.

$1M question:)). How will I fire/transfer TABLE_EVENT_TYPE_META_DATA_CHANGED
or any other such events from one table to another table, so that when user
re-sizes, re-arranges or hides columns, the event will be transferred to
another Table also?

Is it doable? Or do you have any other kind of dynamic field search
functionality you think of where the number of fields are unknown.

Thanks.
Kanugula.

Re: Search functionality on Table Columns

Krycek
Hi,

I have no answer for your question, Kanugula. But I have more questions about the subject:

1) Filtering/searching is a very common task for tables. Is there any plugin/project for it?

2) If the answer for the first question is "no", maybe a filter for table widget should be considered in 0.8.1, shouldn't it? Or even be considered when porting the table widget (#868).

I think the way SmartClient has created its filters for table is the best choice (creating one row above the data rows). It's less flexible than extjs community solution (http://extjs.com/blog/2007/11/26/extended-filtering-using-the-grid-filter-plugin/). But it says exactly what is being filtered without being necessary look for it. And it's easier to implement (I guess).

Thanks,
Guilherme

2008/7/10 kanugula <[hidden email]>:

[...]

Thanks for your response.

I like ExtJs's right side drop-down on each column. It would be nice to have
such wonderfull feature in Qooxdoo's Table Column Model.

We currently have such drop-down on .NET(non-AJAX) application.

I will try to hack the Table.js for a drop-down on Column.

Thanks.
Kanugula.

Guilherme Aiolfi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have no answer for your question, Kanugula. But I have more questions
> about the subject:
>
> 1) Filtering/searching is a very common task for tables. Is there any
> plugin/project for it?
>
> 2) If the answer for the first question is "no", maybe a filter for table
> widget should be considered in 0.8.1, shouldn't it? Or even be considered
> when porting the table widget (#868).
>
> I think the way SmartClient has created its filters for table is the best
> choice (creating one row above the data rows). It's less flexible than
> extjs
> community solution (
> http://extjs.com/blog/2007/11/26/extended-filtering-using-the-grid-filter-plugin/).
> But it says exactly what is being filtered without being necessary look
> for
> it. And it's easier to implement (I guess).
> Thanks,
> Guilherme
>
> 2008/7/10 kanugula <[hidden email]>:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> My users are asking some kind of search functionality at Table column
>> level.
>> They want to see a row of text field above each Table Column to filter
>> data.
>>
>> I am just thinking of something like this.
>>
>> Just above the main table, I will create another table with no columns
>> and
>> one row of Text Fields with same number of columns.
>>
>> $1M question:)). How will I fire/transfer
>> TABLE_EVENT_TYPE_META_DATA_CHANGED
>> or any other such events from one table to another table, so that when
>> user
>> re-sizes, re-arranges or hides columns, the event will be transferred to
>> another Table also?
>>
>> Is it doable? Or do you have any other kind of dynamic field search
>> functionality you think of where the number of fields are unknown.
>>
>> Thanks.
>> Kanugula.

Re: Search functionality on Table Columns

kanugula

I think this is different.

It should be a searchable Filter like

Romain Fliedel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> to filter a table you can use a qx.ui.table.model.Filtered for your
> table. You can find an example here :
> http://demo.qooxdoo.org/current/demobrowser/#example~Table_4.html
>
> Guilherme Aiolfi a écrit :
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have no answer for your question, Kanugula. But I have more
>> questions about the subject:
>>
>> 1) Filtering/searching is a very common task for tables. Is there any
>> plugin/project for it?
>>
>> 2) If the answer for the first question is "no", maybe a filter for
>> table widget should be considered in 0.8.1, shouldn't it? Or even be
>> considered when porting the table widget (#868).
>>
>> I think the way SmartClient has created its filters for table is the
>> best choice (creating one row above the data rows). It's less flexible
>> than extjs community solution
>> (http://extjs.com/blog/2007/11/26/extended-filtering-using-the-grid-filter-plugin/).
>> But it says exactly what is being filtered without being necessary
>> look for it. And it's easier to implement (I guess).
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Guilherme
>

> This email and any attachments are intended for the sole use of the named
> recipient(s) and contain(s) confidential information that may be
> proprietary, privileged or copyrighted under applicable law. If you are
> not the intended recipient, do not read, copy, or forward this email
> message or any attachments. Delete this email message and any attachments
> immediately.

Re: Search functionality on Table Columns

Andreas Ecker

besides the rather technical
http://demo.qooxdoo.org/current/demobrowser/#example~Table_4.html

you should look at the following cool app that offers nice and powerful
table filtering. Mike and Dan created this demo app and contributed the
filtered table model to qooxdoo (thanks again guys!):
http://www.slotreceiver.com/

Bye,

Andreas

> Is it doable? Or do you have any other kind of dynamic field search
> functionality you think of where the number of fields are unknown.

Re: Search functionality on Table Columns

kanugula

Unfortunately, that site is not functioning.

Does anybody you know how it looks like from search functionality? Does it
have a drop-down at the end of Column?

Thanks.
Kanugula.

Andreas Ecker-2 wrote:

> Hi,
>
> besides the rather technical
> http://demo.qooxdoo.org/current/demobrowser/#example~Table_4.html
>
> you should look at the following cool app that offers nice and powerful
> table filtering. Mike and Dan created this demo app and contributed the
> filtered table model to qooxdoo (thanks again guys!):
> http://www.slotreceiver.com/
>
> Bye,
>
> Andreas
>
>> Is it doable? Or do you have any other kind of dynamic field search
>> functionality you think of where the number of fields are unknown.

Re: Search functionality on Table Columns

Derrell Lipman
On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 4:49 PM, kanugula <[hidden email]> wrote:

Unfortunately, that site is not functioning.

I just got into it with no problems.  You should probably try again.

Does anybody you know how it looks like from search functionality? Does it
have a drop-down at the end of Column?

No, you press the "Filter" button and get a window in which you can select how to filter.  Multiple filter criteria can be applied from the window, if desired.

Re: Search functionality on Table Columns

kanugula

Thanks Derell. I was able to open that site from my home. I think my office
firewall blocking some content and I get invalid XML response error.

I liked the Filter they are using with a popup. That's much better than a
drop down at the end of each column which I am thinking of. With a popup, at
any time the user can see what filters he applied. Filter at each column end
is painful, as the user may not remember what filters he applied. He has to
open each field and check it.

I will try to hack their code, hopefully if I understand their build
version.

Thanks.
Kanugula.