Rendering with Canvas

frederic
Hello qooxdoo team,
To speed up the rendering of qooxdoo app, I ask me if the use of canvas tags could be a good choice for a faster rendering instead of current nested DIVs.
Have you experimented or planned some tests ?
regards
Fred

Re: Rendering with Canvas

Petr Kobalíček
Hi Frederic,

I asked to something like this some time ago, but I think that this is
not planned.

But I'd like another way using canvas as rendering solution, be able
to use onPaint() methods, this can be really interesting way of making
gui in JS.

--
Best regards
- Petr Kobalicek <http://kobalicek.com>

2009/10/8 frederic <[hidden email]>:

> Hello qooxdoo team,
> To speed up the rendering of qooxdoo app, I ask me if the use of canvas tags
> could be a good choice for a faster rendering instead of current nested
> DIVs.
> Have you experimented or planned some tests ?
> regards
> Fred

Re: Rendering with Canvas

Fabian has been working on this recently, writing a Canvas renderer for
the Table, but this is all highly experimental work, not to mention
portability issues (although the performance was really impressive). I
haven't heard of any more concrete plans regarding Canvas. Maybe Andreas
or Fabian can comment better on this.

T.

frederic wrote:
> Hello qooxdoo team,
> To speed up the rendering of qooxdoo app, I ask me if the use of canvas tags
> could be a good choice for a faster rendering instead of current nested
> DIVs.
> Have you experimented or planned some tests ?
> regards
> Fred

Re: Rendering with Canvas

Andreas Ecker
Hi Fred,

as Thomas said, Fabian did some experiments the other day for a
canvas-based rendering in virtual widgets. First results look quite
promising, but AFAIK it's a specific, not generic, rendering, mostly for
simple texts in such table cells. I'm sure Fabian has some more details
for you next week.

On Fri, 2009-10-09 at 16:21 +0200, thron7 wrote:
> Fabian has been working on this recently, writing a Canvas renderer for
> the Table, but this is all highly experimental work, not to mention
> portability issues (although the performance was really impressive). I
> haven't heard of any more concrete plans regarding Canvas. Maybe Andreas
> or Fabian can comment better on this.

Bye,

Andreas