Really confused about RPC communication with PHP framework

Really confused about RPC communication with PHP framework

voger
Sorry for the very nobish question but I don't know how to proceed with
this. I have built a basic UI for my app and naturaly now I want to
communicate with the server. I understand the way to go is JSON-RPC and
yes I have seen the jsonrpc_server_specs page in the documentation.

I am using in the backend elgg which is a framework for creating social
networking pages. As it seems it provides it's own mechanism for
exposing RPC services.
http://docs.elgg.org/master/en/guides/web-services.html

I also saw the RpcPhp contrib and I am trying to understand how it works.

My main confusion is, should I try to integrate somehow the rpcphp
contrib in elgg or I must just use it as an example on how to write the
rpc functions in elgg. How do you approach this with a framework in backend?

I hope my question makes sense.

Re: Really confused about RPC communication with PHP framework

Derrell Lipman
Hi Voger,

Having now looked at elgg, I understand your confusion. The issue is that elgg does not provide a standards-based JSON-RPC server; rather, they provide, as they describe it, a REST/RPC hybrid. In other words, it appears that their server won't interoperate with anything that sends standard JSON-RPC.

So what does that mean to your elgg server that wants to interoperate with qooxdoo and JSON-RPC? I think you could add the PHP version of the qooxdoo JSON-RPC server and have it call elgg functions. That should work fine. The expert on the PHP backend is Christain Boulanger,  [hidden email], who I've copied. Hopefully he'll respond with more detailed help.

(If you want to use a NodeJS-based, JavaScript version of the JSON-RPC server, I can give you substantial assistance. My knowledge of PHP and the PHP version of the JSON-RPC server is out of date by about 10 years, though.)

Derrell

On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 2:10 PM Derrell Lipman <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Dear Derrell and Christian

I thank you very much for your trouble and the time you took to help me
with my question. I suppose I have to make these two frameworks,
somehow, speak the same language. At least now I know which path should
I take. Thank you both very much.

voger

On 12/05/2015 10:28 μμ, Derrell Lipman wrote:

> Hi Voger,
>
> Having now looked at elgg, I understand your confusion. The issue is
> that elgg does not provide a standards-based JSON-RPC server; rather,
> they provide, as they describe it, a REST/RPC hybrid. In other words, it
> appears that their server won't interoperate with anything that sends
> standard JSON-RPC.
>
> So what does that mean to your elgg server that wants to interoperate
> with qooxdoo and JSON-RPC? I think you could add the PHP version of the
> qooxdoo JSON-RPC server and have it call elgg functions. That should
> work fine. The expert on the PHP backend is Christain Boulanger,
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>,
> who I've copied. Hopefully he'll respond with more detailed help.
>
> (If you want to use a NodeJS-based, JavaScript version of the JSON-RPC
> server, I can give you substantial assistance. My knowledge of PHP and
> the PHP version of the JSON-RPC server is out of date by about 10 years,
> though.)
>
> Derrell
>

> On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 2:10 PM Derrell Lipman
> <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     I am one of the original authors of that rpc code. It's been a long
>     time since I looked at it. I'll review, and see what elgg is, when I
>     get home, and post a response.
>
>     Derrell
>

>     On Tue, May 12, 2015, 14:02 voger <[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>         Sorry for the very nobish question but I don't know how to
>         proceed with
>         this. I have built a basic UI for my app and naturaly now I want to
>         communicate with the server. I understand the way to go is
>         JSON-RPC and
>         yes I have seen the jsonrpc_server_specs page in the documentation.
>
>         I am using in the backend elgg which is a framework for creating
>         social
>         networking pages. As it seems it provides it's own mechanism for
>         exposing RPC services.
>         http://docs.elgg.org/master/en/guides/web-services.html
>
>         I also saw the RpcPhp contrib and I am trying to understand how
>         it works.
>
>         My main confusion is, should I try to integrate somehow the rpcphp
>         contrib in elgg or I must just use it as an example on how to
>         write the
>         rpc functions in elgg. How do you approach this with a framework
>         in backend?
>
>         I hope my question makes sense.

>         One dashboard for servers and applications across
>         Physical-Virtual-Cloud
>         Widest out-of-the-box monitoring support with 50+ applications
>         Performance metrics, stats and reports that give you Actionable
>         Insights
>         Deep dive visibility with transaction tracing using APM Insight.
>         http://ad.doubleclick.net/ddm/clk/290420510;117567292;y

Re: Really confused about RPC communication with PHP framework

Derrell Lipman
Volger, look for a JSON-RPC server that someone has already created for elgg. It's highly likely that one exists. Back in the day, the qooxdoo JSON-RPC client was not quite standards compliant, but the current version is, I believe, compliant (but not entirely complete, e.g., it doesn't support batch requests). The qooxdoo client should be able to interoperate with any standard-compliant JSON-RPC server you find.

On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 4:35 PM voger <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>         it works.
>
>         My main confusion is, should I try to integrate somehow the rpcphp
>         contrib in elgg or I must just use it as an example on how to
>         write the
>         rpc functions in elgg. How do you approach this with a framework
>         in backend?
>
>         I hope my question makes sense.
>
>         ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>         One dashboard for servers and applications across
>         Physical-Virtual-Cloud
>         Widest out-of-the-box monitoring support with 50+ applications
>         Performance metrics, stats and reports that give you Actionable
>         Insights
>         Deep dive visibility with transaction tracing using APM Insight.
>         http://ad.doubleclick.net/ddm/clk/290420510;117567292;y

Re: Really confused about RPC communication with PHP framework

Thanks. I will look for this. Otherwise maybe I can write something
myself. I hope it is not a overwhelming task for someone who learns as
it goes. If nothing else it will be a great learning exercise. I do have
your old code as a guide. :D

On 12/05/2015 11:43 μμ, Derrell Lipman wrote:

> [...]
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      > One dashboard for servers and applications across
>     Physical-Virtual-Cloud
>      > Widest out-of-the-box monitoring support with 50+ applications
>      > Performance metrics, stats and reports that give you Actionable
>     Insights
>      > Deep dive visibility with transaction tracing using APM Insight.
>      > http://ad.doubleclick.net/ddm/clk/290420510;117567292;y
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      > qooxdoo-devel mailing list
>      > [hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>      > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/qooxdoo-devel
>      >

Re: Really confused about RPC communication with PHP framework

If you do decide to write your own, ask me for my JavaScript  json-rpc server. It's modern and full-featured, so is likely a good example on which to base your php server.

Derrell