Quantcast

Qx framework RoadMap ?

benco
Hi guys,

It's been a while since my last post on this mailinglist.
I noticed since end July that qooxdoo core team activity (github commits, news, mailing list) decreased a lot... and to be honest... it really begins to scare me.

I usually don't pay a lot of attention to "is the project is dead"-like posts with full of critics about what may be wrong regarding the implementation or the framework functionalities. I know that deciding implementing that or that feature must be linked to blacklog tasks priority etc...

I suppose the qx team is involved in core 1&1 projects for the moment but the fact that nearly only Andreas (the project leader actually !) made commits or wrote blog news during the last months is terrifying.

Could you please reassure me by saying the project is really alive and that some great news will come later at the end of this year ?

Best Regards,

Benoît.

Re: Qx framework RoadMap ?

Dietrich Streifert-2
Thank you Benoît!

That's exactly what I currently think/feel.

It would be great to have a statement from Andreas which would give us
some insight in planning regarding qooxdo by the core team or their
company 1&1.

So Andreas, please talk to us!

Regards
Dietrich

Am 13.11.2015 um 11:10 schrieb benco:

> Hi guys,
>
> It's been a while since my last post on this mailinglist.
> I noticed since end July that qooxdoo core team activity (github commits,
> news, mailing list) decreased a lot... and to be honest... *it really begins
> to scare me*.
>
> I usually don't pay a lot of attention to "is the project is dead"-like
> posts with full of critics about what may be wrong regarding the
> implementation or the framework functionalities. I know that deciding
> implementing that or that feature must be linked to blacklog tasks priority
> etc...
>
> I suppose the qx team is involved in core 1&1 projects for the moment but
> the fact that nearly only Andreas (the project leader actually !) made
> commits or wrote blog news during the last months is terrifying.
>
> Could you please reassure me by saying the project is really alive and that
> some great news will come later at the end of this year ?
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Benoît.

Re: Qx framework RoadMap ?

N. Schröder
Well roared, Benoît,

I couldn't agree more, exactly my thoughts / feelings.

Norbert

Re: Qx framework RoadMap ?

Andreas Ecker-2
Hi Benoît,

thanks for your post and questions regarding the upcoming plans for the
qooxdoo framework. Good to see others being interested as well.

As you noticed, the project is indeed in a phase of transition. I'd say
nothing to be scared of, though.

A while ago it was already mentioned that the development effort of the
framework core members refocused on internal company projects. Internally,
we have also focused to come up with a more solid project infrastructure,
getting rid of legacy systems that got hard to maintain. As such we kept
continuing, and actually increasing, to incorporate contributions by
external qooxdoo members. And there are many experienced, often long-term
qooxdoo users, whose bugfixes and enhancements went into the codebase
lately.

In the past the potential to get such an experienced group of external
qooxdoo developers directly involved hasn't really been used, i.e. not
sufficiently. Despite being welcome, it was somewhat limited to play a
more significant role in the progress and future direction of the
framework. That's a pity. This is going to change.

While qooxdoo has been - and always will be - an open-source project, it
used to be largely dependent on 1&1 as its initiator and single maintainer
of the project. That's not bad pre se, as it allowed qooxdoo to become
such a mature and enterprise-grade framework. But nowadays the project
would benefit more from a thriving open-source community that were able to
contribute and influence its progress also based on the requirements of
the real-life qooxdoo projects most of you have in production.

There are specific plans and actions right now to open-up the project,
also in consultation with some long-term qooxdoo community members. Please
allow us to come back with more details very soon, as it is currently work
in progress. We want to take into account those next steps. Sorry, that it
took somewhat longer than expected.

Anyway, be assured it will allow all interested parties of the community
to take an active role in a future recalibration of the framework. Stay
tuned for more info quite soon, thanks for your support,

Andreas

--
Andreas Ecker

Project Lead
http://qooxdoo.org

Re: Qx framework RoadMap ?

Varol Okan
I have been using QooxDoo for many years now it is second to none IMHO.

Many have tried to come close from a feature set many have failed.

I think QooxDoo requires some --marketing--, and some --killer apps-- to
really bloom and get out of the shadows.
Creating something like Cloud9, or Google Docs using QooxDoo. Or how
about a fully featured e-mail client or the best ever YouTube interface ?

1) It would help if you had a central place where you can see, and get
access to the different open source projects you can download and install.

Unlike the http://qooxdoo.org/community/real_life_examples web page I am
thinking more along the lines of an app-store type interface ( written
in Qx of course )

2) If we would have something alike to AIDA ( Android app ) or integrate
with AIDA to allow you to code as you go

3) Having a GUI for dialog creations

I try my best with htts://AstraNOS.org and it offers a lot of goodies
and all of it is based off of QooxDoo with Dropbox, and box integration
and WebRTC support etc.

The question is if anyone in the community is willing to take the lead.

My 2c

Varol :)

On 11/13/2015 06:07 AM, Dietrich Streifert wrote:

> Thank you Benoît!
>
> That's exactly what I currently think/feel.
>
> It would be great to have a statement from Andreas which would give us
> some insight in planning regarding qooxdo by the core team or their
> company 1&1.
>
> So Andreas, please talk to us!
>
> Regards
> Dietrich
>
> Am 13.11.2015 um 11:10 schrieb benco:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> It's been a while since my last post on this mailinglist.
>> I noticed since end July that qooxdoo core team activity (github commits,
>> news, mailing list) decreased a lot... and to be honest... *it really begins
>> to scare me*.
>>
>> I usually don't pay a lot of attention to "is the project is dead"-like
>> posts with full of critics about what may be wrong regarding the
>> implementation or the framework functionalities. I know that deciding
>> implementing that or that feature must be linked to blacklog tasks priority
>> etc...
>>
>> I suppose the qx team is involved in core 1&1 projects for the moment but
>> the fact that nearly only Andreas (the project leader actually !) made
>> commits or wrote blog news during the last months is terrifying.
>>
>> Could you please reassure me by saying the project is really alive and that
>> some great news will come later at the end of this year ?
>>
>> Best Regards,
>>
>> Benoît.

Re: Qx framework RoadMap ?

Dietrich Streifert-2
Hi Andreas,

Thank you for clarifying things up.

As you mentioned, 1&1 was the driving factor in qooxdoo development so far.

You talked about the plan to move qooxdoo more towards a community
driven project. That's a good decision. I agree.

On the other side 1&1 allowed the project to have much appreciated
members like Martin, Alexander, Daniel, Thomas, Mustafa, you and others
spending most, if not all of their working hours on qooxdoo, while being
employees of 1&1.

Reading somewhat pessimistic "between the lines", one may get the
impression that 1&1 will cut down the spent man power for the qooxdoo
project.

Is qooxdoo still and will it be in the future a framework used by 1&1?

Are you willing and allowed to comment this?

Regards
Dietrich

PS.: My English is suboptimal. I apologize if what I wrote seems
aggressive or offending. This is not my intention. I just try to talk
straight.

Am 13.11.2015 um 12:38 schrieb Andreas Ecker:
> While qooxdoo has been - and always will be - an open-source project, it
> used to be largely dependent on 1&1 as its initiator and single maintainer
> of the project. That's not bad pre se, as it allowed qooxdoo to become
> such a mature and enterprise-grade framework. But nowadays the project
> would benefit more from a thriving open-source community that were able to
> contribute and influence its progress also based on the requirements of
> the real-life qooxdoo projects most of you have in production.

Re: Qx framework RoadMap ?

Andreas Ecker-2
Hi Dietrich,

don¹t worry, your English is fine; mine probably isn¹t better either  ;-)

The important fact is IMHO, that now the qooxdoo open-source project has
the opportunity to open-up and directly involve collaborators in a
well-organized way. As a largely company-provided OSS there simply is too
much of a single dependency and only limited ways of participation. Lets
improve on that!

Putting it onto a broader foundation of project contributors certainly is
the better way to go. 1&1 is actively supporting and driving this next
step of the open-source project, so we can ensure there¹s uninterrupted
availability and eventually a more user-/maintainer-friendly
infrastructure without legacy (e.g. wiki, etc.).

Certainly, there are benefits and disadvantages of both, i.e. more
company-provided vs. more community-driven, so lets not waste time in
debating. There are so many talented and active contributors in the
community already, it¹s not about the ³if", but the ³how" to get them
involved in the ongoing evolution of the qooxdoo project. Stay tuned,

Andreas

PS: Dietrich, we count you in. :-)

Re: Qx framework RoadMap ?

benco
Hi Andreas,

Just to be as concise as possible, I'm OK with the idea to open more the project...

.... But the "governance" must be kept at your team side and a community-driven roadmap must be set as quick as possible.

If 1&1's real reasons to opens the project more are actually "we don't plan to maintain it so here are the code and do what you want with it", I'm pretty sure the project will either die or either there will be tons of forks (I didn't mean to be rude of course but it is a particularly worrying possibility).

I look forward to seeing progress on it!

Best Regards,

Benoît.

Re: Qx framework RoadMap ?

Andreas Ecker-2
Hi Benoît,

of course, it¹s about "governance". ;-) Otherwise it would be trivial,
right, just saying: the code itself is already there, just use it under
the open-source terms as you please ...

No, it¹s about a coordinated way to allow a (single, not disjoint)
community of user and contributors to participate in and drive the further
progress of the framework. Given the interest of you and others that use
qooxdoo in production, that seams worthwhile to strive for.

Andreas

Re: Qx framework RoadMap ?

kreimer
Hi,

I will never thank enough every qx developer for this beautiful framework(s).
I began using qx with the original desktop flavor. The amount of code used and subclassed from this original library is the reason why I do not port my code to the qx.web flavor. My dream is :

1) a strong OO support (extensibility and custom widgets in mind) and a rich utilities (IO, properties) like qx.desktop and a

2) a more ligthweight and css friendly like qx.web

I want the best of both worlds, and I guess this was the point in the 'next' branch. Am I right?

If I continue dreaming....

3) one solution for desktop/tablet/mobile (now I have to mantain a qx.desktop and a qx.mobile app)

Is this the direction in the qx devel future?

Regards, (and apologies for my english too)
Bernardo