Qx API and lib upgrade for applications

Varol Okan
Hey,

I am currently working on a nice little web based desktop environment, which I recently ported from 0.7.4 to 3.0.1.

I saw that we are getting new Qx versions out soon and I have a very generic question.

What is the best policy to keep up with the constantly changing and evolving Qx API ?
Does it make sense to stay on top of the changes ? If so how frequent should I update the libraries ?
Should I stay with my current version of 3.0.1 for a couple of years before I attempt to update ?

Obviously for larger projects any upgrade will require a lot of changes and any time I spend on porting is lost time spend on developing new features.

Cheers,

Varol
Ps. The link to JtOS is dead. Can we add http://www.AstraNOS.org instead ? Should I write up a short description ?
http://qooxdoo.org/community/real_life_examples#jtos_-_web_operating_system

Re: Qx API and lib upgrade for applications

Thomas Herchenroeder
On 12/03/2013 01:59 PM, Varol Okan wrote:
Hey,

I am currently working on a nice little web based desktop environment, which I recently ported from 0.7.4 to 3.0.1.

I saw that we are getting new Qx versions out soon and I have a very generic question.

What is the best policy to keep up with the constantly changing and evolving Qx API ?
Does it make sense to stay on top of the changes ? If so how frequent should I update the libraries ?
Should I stay with my current version of 3.0.1 for a couple of years before I attempt to update ?

Generally speaking, the only versions you really should stay in sync with are the patch releases (e.g. if you're on 3.0.1 whatever comes in the 3.0.x line), because these are just bug fixes and can drop-in replace the previous patch version [1].

As for major/minor versions my personal take is that you can stick with a version as long as it suits your needs. Only if a  newer version provides *features* you want to take advantage of I would upgrade. Of course, sticking with a version for years and then going to the latest release will involve some migration efforts, but I would cross that bridge when I come to it, and not worry beforehand.

[1] http://qooxdoo.org/project/releases

Obviously for larger projects any upgrade will require a lot of changes and any time I spend on porting is lost time spend on developing new features.

Cheers,

Varol
Ps. The link to JtOS is dead. Can we add http://www.AstraNOS.org instead ? Should I write up a short description ?
http://qooxdoo.org/community/real_life_examples#jtos_-_web_operating_system

Can't you edit the wiki directly?

On 12/03/2013 08:46 AM, thron7 wrote:
[...]

Don't think so. I don't see an 'edit' button. I see a 'Login' button but I don't have an account.

On 12/03/2013 05:26 PM, Varol Okan wrote:
On 12/03/2013 08:46 AM, thron7 wrote:
On 12/03/2013 01:59 PM, Varol Okan wrote:

Ps. The link to JtOS is dead. Can we add http://www.AstraNOS.org instead ? Should I write up a short description ?
http://qooxdoo.org/community/real_life_examples#jtos_-_web_operating_system

Can't you edit the wiki directly?
Don't think so. I don't see an 'edit' button. I see a 'Login' button but I don't have an account.

Then send your description and the new link to [hidden email] and we'll see to it.