Qooxdoo users

123

Qooxdoo users

bobmanc
does anybody know the approximate number of active users of qooxdoo?
dev

Re: Qooxdoo users

dev
Hi,

This is a question you will be criticized for if answered.

> does anybody know the approximate number of active users of qooxdoo?

I can not see more than 20-30 active users and another 20 sporadic users.

Considering how powerful the framework is, it is a very low number!

Possible reason to the low number:
1. closed core code base
2. inactive and dormant community
3. qooxdoo markets itself too little

Stefan

Re: Qooxdoo users

woprandi
I don't agree with dev, you cannot give a number because much users are not active.

Re: Qooxdoo users

Varol Okan
I think

1 is wrong. All open sourced.

2 Main issue is the requirement to have backend support for the frontend
technology.
For example, you don't have to run anything on the backend in order to
use AngularJS or jQuery. The libraries are readily available in *.min.js
form. Qooxdoo requries you to compile it with your application code.

3: Agree

Cheers,

Varol

On 11/23/2014 02:53 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is a question you will be criticized for if answered.
>
>> does anybody know the approximate number of active users of qooxdoo?
> I can not see more than 20-30 active users and another 20 sporadic users.
>
> Considering how powerful the framework is, it is a very low number!
>
> Possible reason to the low number:
> 1. closed core code base
> 2. inactive and dormant community
> 3. qooxdoo markets itself too little
>
> Stefan

dev

Re: Qooxdoo users

dev
He asked for the number of active users!

Stefan

> I don't agree with dev, you cannot give a number because much users are not
> active.

dev

Re: Qooxdoo users

dev
just to clarify what I meant...

> I think
>
> 1 is wrong. All open sourced.

It is indeed true opensource, which is fantastic and very generous.
What I meant was joint development is NOT open, though it might be changing in the future...

> 2 Main issue is the requirement to have backend support for the frontend
> technology.
> For example, you don't have to run anything on the backend in order to
> use AngularJS or jQuery. The libraries are readily available in *.min.js
> form. Qooxdoo requries you to compile it with your application code.

You are talking about a different topic here.
I was talking about that the community has not been very much encouraged so far to contribute.

Remember! qooxdoo is by far the best technically design among frameworks, but they seldom win the user race if not joint development is heavily supported.

Stefan

> 3: Agree
>
> Cheers,
>
> Varol

>> Hi,
>>
>> This is a question you will be criticized for if answered.
>>
>>> does anybody know the approximate number of active users of qooxdoo?
>> I can not see more than 20-30 active users and another 20 sporadic users.
>>
>> Considering how powerful the framework is, it is a very low number!
>>
>> Possible reason to the low number:
>> 1. closed core code base
>> 2. inactive and dormant community
>> 3. qooxdoo markets itself too little
>>
>> Stefan

Re: Qooxdoo users

bobmanc
Right. My question was how many people use the framework. Not how many develop it.

Re: Qooxdoo users

Tom Saddul

If you use the TypeScript version of QooxDoo from https://github.com/jbaron/qx-typed, there is no need to compile using generate.py anymore.... You will be using QooxDoo just like any Javascript library like jQuery but this time with typing so you are helped by the editor with intellisense whenever you start typing qx.
dev

Re: Qooxdoo users

dev

> Right. My question was how many people use the framework. Not how many
> develop it.

There is no registration function for the people using it, so the figure is unknown.

Number of downloads does not give it.
Total number of names since the start in this list does not give it.

The closest you can come that figure is to see the number of active names/users in this list last 6 months.

Can you explain to me why this figure is relevant to you?

Stefan

Re: Qooxdoo users

MartinWittemann

> Am 22.11.2014 um 01:54 schrieb bobmanc <[hidden email]>:
>
> does anybody know the approximate number of active users of qooxdoo?

Maybe you can guess any numbers based on the number of downloads. We have most of the time more than 900 downloads a month [1]. Of course, thats only the SDK downloads and only from sourceforge, not from github. And not anyone downloading the SDK could be called a active user. But these numbers show that active people on the mailing list ist not the same as active users. We have experienced that a lot in the past that users of the framework either don’t show up on the list or in a very late state of the project. The truth is somewhere in between I guess but I don’t know.

[1] http://sourceforge.net/projects/qooxdoo/files/stats/timeline

Re: Qooxdoo users

oetiker
Hi Martin,

do you have usage statistics of the API browser website ? my guess
is that most people using qx for real will be accessing the API
browser ... (I know there is a copy in the SDK, but since the
online version if readily available, I rarely bother with setting
up my own copy).

cheers
tobi

Today Martin Wittemann wrote:

> > Am 22.11.2014 um 01:54 schrieb bobmanc <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > does anybody know the approximate number of active users of qooxdoo?
>
> Maybe you can guess any numbers based on the number of downloads. We have most of the time more than 900 downloads a month [1]. Of course, thats only the SDK downloads and only from sourceforge, not from github. And not anyone downloading the SDK could be called a active user. But these numbers show that active people on the mailing list ist not the same as active users. We have experienced that a lot in the past that users of the framework either don?t show up on the list or in a very late state of the project. The truth is somewhere in between I guess but I don?t know.
>
> [1] http://sourceforge.net/projects/qooxdoo/files/stats/timeline
>

> > --

www.oetiker.ch [hidden email] +41 62 775 9902

Re: Qooxdoo users

MartinWittemann
Administrator
Hey,
> do you have usage statistics of the API browser website ? my guess
> is that most people using qx for real will be accessing the API
> browser ... (I know there is a copy in the SDK, but since the
> online version if readily available, I rarely bother with setting
> up my own copy).

Sure, we have google analytics running. But when it comes to the API viewer, we have a lot of URLs and different API viewers hosted (think of all the versions). Anyway, I took the data from last monty (October) and tried to sum up most often used URLs:

API Viewer: ~6000 page impressions
Website API Viewer:  ~1000 page impressions

I’m not sure if that could help us to guess the number of active uses. What do you think?

Regards,
Martin

Re: Qooxdoo users

oetiker

> On 25.11.2014, at 08:02, Martin Wittemann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hey,
>> do you have usage statistics of the API browser website ? my guess
>> is that most people using qx for real will be accessing the API
>> browser ... (I know there is a copy in the SDK, but since the
>> online version if readily available, I rarely bother with setting
>> up my own copy).
>
> Sure, we have google analytics running. But when it comes to the API viewer, we have a lot of URLs and different API viewers hosted (think of all the versions). Anyway, I took the data from last monty (October) and tried to sum up most often used URLs:
>
> API Viewer: ~6000 page impressions
> Website API Viewer:  ~1000 page impressions
>
> I’m not sure if that could help us to guess the number of active uses. What do you think?

hi martin

in analytics there are views that attempt to track users ...
that might be interesting, as it even might reveal how the version adoption is progressing.

cheers
tobi

> Regards,
> Martin

Re: Qooxdoo users

bobmanc
The reason I asked was I was considering building a tool similar to Sencha Architect for Qooxdoo.
I was wondering if the market would be big enough to make it worthwhile.

Re: Qooxdoo users

Phyo Arkar
Our team , 4 people , used qooxdoo since 1.3 , in various products.
I agree Qooxdoo need to market itself, it can outcompete many of those new frameworks  , since like 2010.

Qooxdoo Class system makes code a lot cleaner than Sancha and Dojo.

Things because qooxdoo have lower user base mainly due to marketing and slow releases. Also missing new HTML5 technologies (Websocket , some CSS3 features etc ) .

On Thu, Nov 27, 2014 at 1:12 AM, bobmanc <[hidden email]> wrote:
The reason I asked was I was considering building a tool similar to Sencha
Architect for Qooxdoo.
I was wondering if the market would be big enough to make it worthwhile.

Re: Qooxdoo users

Peter Caffin

FWIW, everyone I've shown Qooxdoo to has been impressed.

The only stumbling block is there's quite a learning curve, particularly
if you're not experienced with Javascript.

The reason Qooxdoo use continues to grow though, is the learning curve
is totally worth it :)

On 27/11/2014 8:06 pm, Phyo Arkar wrote:
> Our team , 4 people , used qooxdoo since 1.3 , in various products.
> I agree Qooxdoo need to market itself, it can outcompete many of those
> new frameworks  , since like 2010.
>
> Qooxdoo Class system makes code a lot cleaner than Sancha and Dojo.
>
> Things because qooxdoo have lower user base mainly due to marketing
> and slow releases. Also missing new HTML5 technologies (Websocket ,
> some CSS3 features etc ) .

Re: Qooxdoo users

Tom Saddul
This post was updated on .
100% agree. But coming from C#.NET or Java, the learning curve should be minimal.  It is learning JavaScript that is harder.  Luckily for me, I started using Qooxdoo using its TypeScript version from jbaron: https://github.com/jbaron/qx-typed so the learning is far easier because of the intellisense provided by the IDE like Visual Studio or CATS (from same author).  In just one (1) month, I can say I have achieved more than what I have expected and I'm super happy that I chose Qooxdoo over other more popular javascript frameworks.

For those who do not yet know, Visual Studio 2013 (Professional Edition) is already FREE for small teams of up to 5 programmers...

Re: Qooxdoo users

Phyo Arkar

On Sun, Nov 30, 2014 at 6:01 AM, Peter Caffin <[hidden email]> wrote:
is the learning curve
is totally worth it :)

Yes , Totally worth it!
None of the new JS framework is integrated like qooxdoo.

So Qooxdoo team , can you let more people know about this awesome framework, which changes programming of Javascript Dramatically .

Like , for example , it is not even features on Todomvc site , which compares the Js frameworks.

Re: Qooxdoo users

MartinWittemann
Administrator
Hey,
> So Qooxdoo team , can you let more people know about this awesome framework, which changes programming of Javascript Dramatically .
>
> Like , for example , it is not even features on Todomvc site , which compares the Js frameworks.

Well, if that would be so easy we would have done it before. ;) But to be honest, our marketing budget is low and we always had our focus on the code instead of talking about it. Maybe thats not the best way to promote a framework but it ended up in the code base we have right now.
On the other hand, the missing marketing (which we hear a lot) is not only up to us in the core team. Everyone can step up and write posts about qooxdoo, speak on conferences or promote the framework on other channels as well.

Regards,
Martin

Re: Qooxdoo users

woprandi
I think qooxdoo users should also try to promote the framework themselves
123