Qooxdoo tutorial at LISA 2008

oetiker
Experts!

I proposed to teach a tutorial on qooxdoo at LISA'09 (November) ...
and they accepted. It will be a half day tutorial. Once I come up
with a program I will post it here to get your feedback ...

cheers
tobi

T11pm
-----
Writing JavaScript Applications Running in the Browser with Qooxdoo
Tobias Oetiker, Consultant and author of RRDTool
THIS IS A NEW WRITEUP

Who should attend:
------------------

People with a good grasp of programming who would like to put the
fun back into writing web applications with fully interactive
interfaces.

Imagine writing a web application where the server part is only a
few lines of Perl or PHP code, essentially grabbing data off your
database without having to care about presentation or the frontend
in general. The fully interactive frontend runs completely in the
browser (FF/IE/Opera/Safari) and just calls upon the server to pull
or submit data. Much like it used to be in classical client server
applications.

Until recently in the AJAX world, writing JavaScript has been a
necessary evil, and most frameworks try to shield the users from
that experience by providing means of coding in other languages and
creating the necessary JavaScript on the fly.

The Qooxdoo Framework takes a radically different aproach. It
enhances JavaScript with a Qt inspired Object Oriented Programming
Model which does away with most of the tedious aspects of
JavaScript. Coupled with a fast, themeable cross-browser widget
set, it provides a powerful and pleasant programming environment.

In this half day workshop I will pass on the experience I gained
over the last year writing Qooxdoo applications from scratch, as
well as integrating Qooxdoo elements in SmokePing
(oss.oetiker.ch/smokeping).

Topics
------

I will cover the following topics:

- Setting up a Qooxdoo programming environment on your laptop
- Building a Qooxdoo Hello World application
- Talking to the server
- Creating your own widgets
- Writing new and complex widgets
- Code walkthrough of a real-world Qooxdoo application

http://it.oetiker.ch [hidden email] ++41 62 775 9902 / sb: -9900

Re: Qooxdoo tutorial at LISA 2008

Jim Hunter
What is LISA'09 and is it really in November of 09? That is a long way off.

Jim

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 2:03 PM, Tobias Oetiker <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

DAILY THOUGHT: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD
FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS

Re: Qooxdoo tutorial at LISA 2008

oetiker
Hi Jim,

Today Jim Hunter wrote:

> What is LISA'09 and is it really in November of 09? That is a
> long way off.

its November 2008 ... I was confused ...

http://www.usenix.org/events/lisa08/

cheers
tobi

http://it.oetiker.ch [hidden email] ++41 62 775 9902 / sb: -9900

Re: Qooxdoo tutorial at LISA 2008

Jim Hunter
Thanks

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 2:29 PM, Tobias Oetiker <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Jim,

Today Jim Hunter wrote:

> What is LISA'09 and is it really in November of 09? That is a
> long way off.

its November 2008 ... I was confused ...

http://www.usenix.org/events/lisa08/

cheers
tobi

http://it.oetiker.ch [hidden email] ++41 62 775 9902 / sb: -9900

Jim Hunter

DAILY THOUGHT: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD
FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS

Re: Qooxdoo tutorial at LISA 2008

Jim Hunter
Since this is in November, I am going to assume that you will be talking on version 0.8? Or a newer version of there is one at that time?

This is too close for me not to go. Too bad it's not a little sooner.

Jim

Today Jim Hunter wrote:

> Since this is in November, I am going to assume that you will be talking on
> version 0.8? Or a newer version of there is one at that time?
>
> This is too close for me not to go. Too bad it's not a little sooner.

Yes I hope to be talking about 0.8. But only when 0.8 is ready (or
almost ready) for production. I assume most people who are going to
attend are looking for a way to write cooler frontends to the
system admin cgis they have been knocking around for ages, they
will probably be less interested in the latest and greatest from
qooxdoo (from a pure art standpoint)

we will se ... I did not mentione any version in the blurb for this
reason ...

cheers
tobi

> Jim
>

> On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 2:29 PM, Tobias Oetiker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi Jim,
> >
> > Today Jim Hunter wrote:
> >
> > > What is LISA'09 and is it really in November of 09? That is a
> > > long way off.
> >
> > its November 2008 ... I was confused ...
> >
> > http://www.usenix.org/events/lisa08/
> >
> > cheers
> > tobi
> >
> > --
> > Tobi Oetiker, OETIKER+PARTNER AG, Aarweg 15 CH-4600 Olten, Switzerland
> > http://it.oetiker.ch [hidden email] ++41 62 775 9902 / sb: -9900

http://it.oetiker.ch [hidden email] ++41 62 775 9902 / sb: -9900

Re: Qooxdoo tutorial at LISA 2008

thron7