Qooxdoo's translation mechanism

flj

Qooxdoo's translation mechanism

flj
Hi all.

I think reporting this might be of interest to the qooxdoo developers, especially since IMO extending the translation mechanism to cover what I'll tell you about seems easy to me.

The project I am working for currently is for a customer who wants to have the UI in several languages. However, he doesn't want to use the browser's language settings, but wants the language to be taken from a database containing user data.

As far as I could research it, qooxdoo's built in localization mechanism doesn't allow specifying a language other than the browser's preferred language. So I couldn't use qooxdoo's translation mechanism, and needed to develop my own. Which wasn't such a big issue.

However it might be a nice extension to allow setting the language of the qooxdoo application from code. I don't think I'm the only person having this problem with translations.

br,

flj

Re: Qooxdoo's translation mechanism

oetiker
Hi Flj,

Today [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I think reporting this might be of interest to the qooxdoo
> developers, especially since IMO extending the translation
> mechanism to cover what I'll tell you about seems easy to me.
>
> The project I am working for currently is for a customer who
> wants to have the UI in several languages. However, he doesn't
> want to use the browser's language settings, but wants the
> language to be taken from a database containing user data.
>
> As far as I could research it, qooxdoo's built in localization
> mechanism doesn't allow specifying a language other than the
> browser's preferred language. So I couldn't use qooxdoo's
> translation mechanism, and needed to develop my own. Which wasn't
> such a big issue.
>
> However it might be a nice extension to allow setting the
> language of the qooxdoo application from code. I don't think I'm
> the only person having this problem with translations.

you can force the locale to german for example
by putting this into your Application.js

     qx.locale.Manager.getInstance().setLocale('de');

cheers
tobi

> br,
>
> flj

http://it.oetiker.ch [hidden email] ++41 62 775 9902 / sb: -9900

Re: Qooxdoo's translation mechanism

Thomas Herchenroeder

> you can force the locale to german for example
> by putting this into your Application.js
>
>      qx.locale.Manager.getInstance().setLocale('de');

yep, qx.locale.Manager.setLocale is the way to go; the browser's
language setting just caters for the default. you could have saved
yourself a bit of work if you asked earlier. both the feedreader app and
the showcase/Localization demo in demobrowser feature switching locales
(and therefore languages).

t.