Qooxdoo python version required == 2.4?

Gaetan de Menten
Hi there,

I've read in the doc that python requirements is 2.4+, though in the
code, I've seen many occurrences of pre-2.4 code style, for example
"dict.has_key(key)" instead of "key in dict", do you confirm that the
requirements are indeed 2.4+ and that I can change old code to use 2.4
style?

Gaëtan de Menten
http://openhex.org

Re: Qooxdoo python version required == 2.4?

Gaetan de Menten schrieb:

> Hi there,
>
> I've read in the doc that python requirements is 2.4+, though in the
> code, I've seen many occurrences of pre-2.4 code style, for example
> "dict.has_key(key)" instead of "key in dict", do you confirm that the
> requirements are indeed 2.4+ and that I can change old code to use 2.4
> style?
>
> Thanks,

I think it would be good style to use 2.4 features where appropriate.
However I would like to hear Thomas' view on this before taking action.
He is back in office on Monday.

1&1 Internet AG
Brauerstraße 48
76135 Karlsruhe

Amtsgericht Montabaur HRB 6484

Vorstand: Henning Ahlert, Ralph Dommermuth, Matthias Ehrlich, Thomas Gottschlich, Matthias Greve, Robert Hoffmann, Markus Huhn, Oliver Mauss, Achim Weiss

generate build fails

John Spackman

Hi,

I’m having problems generating a build version of my app; the generate.py runs fine without any errors but when I go to run the app under FF3 or IE7 I get this error:

this.__hR.__hV is undefined

this.__hR.__hV[m].customUndo=true;

I’ve tried this with current download and Tuesday’s SVN with the same result, each time deleting the cache and build directories.

The source version runs fine, although slowly.

Any ideas what’s causing this?

Re: generate build fails

John Spackman

This was because one of the contrib’s I was using needed the optimisation for renaming private members turned off; it would be great if the optimisation was specified in the Manifest.json of the individual module so that generator.py could either use this information for that module or at least give an error that the application’s optimisation is incompatible.

John

John Spackman schrieb:

> This was because one of the contrib’s I was using needed the
> optimisation for renaming private members turned off; it would be
> great if the optimisation was specified in the Manifest.json of the
> individual module so that generator.py could either use this
> information for that module or at least give an error that the
> application’s optimisation is incompatible.
>
> John

Have you contacted the contrib's author to fix this. I think all
contribs should be usable with private optimization enabled.

Best Fabian

thron7

Fabian Jakobs wrote:

> Gaetan de Menten schrieb:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I've read in the doc that python requirements is 2.4+, though in the
>> code, I've seen many occurrences of pre-2.4 code style, for example
>> "dict.has_key(key)" instead of "key in dict", do you confirm that the
>> requirements are indeed 2.4+ and that I can change old code to use 2.4
>> style?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

> I think it would be good style to use 2.4 features where appropriate.
> However I would like to hear Thomas' view on this before taking action.
> He is back in office on Monday.

Agreed. 2.4 is prereq because we are using features that came with 2.4
(sets, generators, subprocess module,...), not because we enforce a
2.4-only style. (Personally I will continue to use "dict.has_key(key)"
as I sometimes prefer the method style over infix operators. I know it's
removed in Python 3, but I'm not worried yet).

Thomas

Re: generate build fails

thron7

Fabian Jakobs wrote:

> John Spackman schrieb:
>
>> This was because one of the contrib’s I was using needed the
>> optimisation for renaming private members turned off; it would be
>> great if the optimisation was specified in the Manifest.json of the
>> individual module so that generator.py could either use this
>> information for that module or at least give an error that the
>> application’s optimisation is incompatible.
>>
>> John
>>

> Have you contacted the contrib's author to fix this. I think all
> contribs should be usable with private optimization enabled.

Still I think it's a good point. We are already thinking about putting
more information about a library into the Manifest, and maybe
re-thinking the way libraries are compiled into other applications. So
thanks for the hint.

Thomas

> Best Fabian

Re: generate build fails

John Spackman
Sorry Fabian, I missed your reply yesterday - not yet is the answer,
although only because it's to do with HtmlArea and I thought I'd give
Alexander a chance to settle back at work :)

I agree with Thomas though - true private and protected access to methods is
an ideal, not a necessity; given the obfuscation tracking them down is a
time-consuming process and preferably there would be a really fast,
lint-like scan so that we can find them during source phase of development -
before we get to "generate build".

John

>> This was because one of the contrib's I was using needed the
>> optimisation for renaming private members turned off; it would be
>> great if the optimisation was specified in the Manifest.json of the
>> individual module so that generator.py could either use this
>> information for that module or at least give an error that the
>> application's optimisation is incompatible.
>>
>> John
>>

> Have you contacted the contrib's author to fix this. I think all
> contribs should be usable with private optimization enabled.

Still I think it's a good point. We are already thinking about putting
more information about a library into the Manifest, and maybe
re-thinking the way libraries are compiled into other applications. So
thanks for the hint.

Thomas

> Best Fabian

world

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 6:31 PM, thron7 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Agreed. 2.4 is prereq because we are using features that came with 2.4
> (sets, generators, subprocess module,...), not because we enforce a
> 2.4-only style. (Personally I will continue to use "dict.has_key(key)"
> as I sometimes prefer the method style over infix operators. I know it's
> removed in Python 3, but I'm not worried yet).

Ok, I will let the code as it is then... until you change your mind. I
thought like you at first, but got used to it pretty quickly once I
tried to use it.

--
Gaëtan de Menten
http://openhex.org