Qooxdoo contribs - take two

Cajus Pollmeier
Hi,

just to jump on the contrib discussion that was active some weeks ago ;-)

If people split their projects into compoments, it would be nice to support
different methods to pull these components into the cache - I mean besides of
placing them somewhere in the filesystem by hand.

Looks like this has been put on [1] already.

When do you think one can expect these features to pop up in qx? If that's low
on priority, I could contribute i.e. some github support for the contrib
fetcher if that's welcome upstream.

Thanks,
Cajus

[1] http://qooxdoo.org/contrib/qooxdoo-contrib2.0

Re: Qooxdoo contribs - take two

Thomas Herchenroeder
Hi Cajus,

On 09/20/2012 10:13 AM, Cajus Pollmeier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> just to jump on the contrib discussion that was active some weeks ago ;-)
>
> If people split their projects into compoments, it would be nice to support
> different methods to pull these components into the cache - I mean besides of
> placing them somewhere in the filesystem by hand.

I'm not sure what you are after here. If you are hinting at recursive
dependencies, then yes, automatic resolution for them would be fine, and
there is already a bug for it.

OTOH, people have justifiably pointed at existing package managers, and
asked the question why to re-invent this wheel for the umphteenth time
... So, suggestions in this direction are also welcome. Just add to [2].

[2]
http://qooxdoo.org/contrib/qooxdoo-contrib2.0?&#existing_package_managers

> Looks like this has been put on [1] already.
>
> When do you think one can expect these features to pop up in qx?

To be frank, not anytime soon. We're extremely scarce on man power at
the moment, with a lot of demanding and pressing issues in front of us.
New colleagues are getting on board during the rest of the year, but I
don't expect them to have any impact before next.

>   If that's low
> on priority, I could contribute i.e. some github support for the contrib
> fetcher if that's welcome upstream.

If you want to invest effort, think about the following topics:

* A Json-based format to describe a single library/contribution
instance. An "instance" is basically the library at a specific version.
Because that's what people will download, and what the package manager
has to understand.
   The instance description has to include, among other things:
   * library name (aka "namespace", e.g. "foo.bar.baz")
   * version of the library (e.g. "1.2.3")
   * download URL for this version (e.g.
"https://github.com/myuser/foolib/zipball/release_1_6_1")
   * maintainer/owner name
   * date of creation of this Json information
   * etc.

* A Python-based package manager that is able to retrieve such instance
descriptions, parse them, download the corresponding archive from the
URL given in the instance description. Parse the Manifest.json of the
library, picking out the dependencies (e.g. in
Manifest.json/provides/depends = [ "foo.bar.baz#1.2.3",
"some.other.lib#0.1.7", ...]). Looking up the instance descriptions of
these in the catalog, repeating the process.
This would be a major little application, but quite useful.

* A Web-based front-end to the catalog, list, add, edit, delete entries,
where each entry is a contrib lib, with each lib has version
sub-entries, which are the instance descriptions (s.above), with
authentication.

* A Python command line app that does the same thing, from, well, the
command line. But this would be the icing :) .

These are the important points. I don't see Github support as anything
complicated then.