Qooxdoo Tutorial: Layouts

Atamert Ölçgen
Dear All,
I am working on a tutorial that tries to explain Qooxdoo layouting in contrast
to conventional (jQuery, prototype etc) web application layouting (direct DOM
manipulation). Part 1 is online here:

http://www.muhuk.com/2009/01/using-layouts-in-qooxdoo-part-1/

Please take a look at it and tell me if I made any mistakes (quite possible)
or missed out anything vital. Your critics are very much appreciated.

My plan for the next chapters is this:

 * Part 2: VBox Layout with examples (5th of Feb)
 * Part 3: HBox Layout with examples
 * Part 4: Grid Layout with examples
 * Part 5...?: Most other layout managers with examples
 * Although I will be examining layout managers one by one the main focus is
on container properties, layout manager properties, widget properties and how
they work together. (I don't see much value for example examining HBox in
detail right after VBox)

Kind Regards,

--
Saygılarımla,
Atamert Ölçgen

 -+-
 --+
 +++

www.muhuk.com

Re: Qooxdoo Tutorial: Layouts

florian_im-conepts
Hello Atamert,

congratulations to the well written article! I find it very comprehensive and informative and I am looking forward to the next parts. This should make it easier for non-qooxdoo developers or beginners to become more familiar with this great framework.

Regards,
Florian

Re: Qooxdoo Tutorial: Layouts

Sebastian Werner
Looks nice. Well written. Please continue your work. It's always
inspiring and interesting to read articles written from people with
another perspective. Thanks!

Sebastian

Atamert Ölçgen schrieb:

> Dear All,
> I am working on a tutorial that tries to explain Qooxdoo layouting in contrast
> to conventional (jQuery, prototype etc) web application layouting (direct DOM
> manipulation). Part 1 is online here:
>
> http://www.muhuk.com/2009/01/using-layouts-in-qooxdoo-part-1/
>
> Please take a look at it and tell me if I made any mistakes (quite possible)
> or missed out anything vital. Your critics are very much appreciated.
>
> My plan for the next chapters is this:
>
>  * Part 2: VBox Layout with examples (5th of Feb)
>  * Part 3: HBox Layout with examples
>  * Part 4: Grid Layout with examples
>  * Part 5...?: Most other layout managers with examples
>  * Although I will be examining layout managers one by one the main focus is
> on container properties, layout manager properties, widget properties and how
> they work together. (I don't see much value for example examining HBox in
> detail right after VBox)
>

> Kind Regards,

Re: Qooxdoo Tutorial: Layouts

Atamert Ölçgen
Dear All,
Florian and Sebastian, thanks a lot for the encouragement. I've just published
the second part, please check it out:

http://www.muhuk.com/2009/02/using-layouts-in-qooxdoo-part-2-vbox-layout/

Critics are, as always, wellcome.

Kind Regards,

--
Saygılarımla,
Atamert Ölçgen

 -+-
 --+
 +++

www.muhuk.com

Transparency

f.taebi
Hi,

im trying to set the background color of a container (Composiste or
whatever ) to "transparent" to make covered widgets visible. The problem
is that it doesnt change anything i.e. the container doesnt become
transparent and everything is covered by the default grey background
color. So whats the meaning of "transparent" under qooxdoo? And how can
i achieve the transparency alternatively without inserting divs or
something like that?

Thanks,

Farhad

Re: Transparency

f.taebi
You can use any container e.g. Stack, Composite, Scroll ... . I already
tried using "null" but it ends with the same result: default grey
background.

> When I use container, they don't have a background color by default.
> What container are you using that has a color? Try using 'null' as the
> background color, that will remove all references.
>
> Jim
>

> On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 10:31 AM, f.taebi <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     im trying to set the background color of a container (Composiste or
>     whatever ) to "transparent" to make covered widgets visible. The
>     problem
>     is that it doesnt change anything i.e. the container doesnt become
>     transparent and everything is covered by the default grey background
>     color. So whats the meaning of "transparent" under qooxdoo? And
>     how can
>     i achieve the transparency alternatively without inserting divs or
>     something like that?
>
>     Thanks,
>
>     Farhad

>     Create and Deploy Rich Internet Apps outside the browser with
>     Adobe(R)AIR(TM)
>     software. With Adobe AIR, Ajax developers can use existing skills
>     and code to
>     build responsive, highly engaging applications that combine the
>     power of local
>     resources and data with the reach of the web. Download the Adobe
>     AIR SDK and
>     Ajax docs to start building applications
>     today-http://p.sf.net/sfu/adobe-com

> Create and Deploy Rich Internet Apps outside the browser with Adobe(R)AIR(TM)
> software. With Adobe AIR, Ajax developers can use existing skills and code to
> build responsive, highly engaging applications that combine the power of local
> resources and data with the reach of the web. Download the Adobe AIR SDK and
> Ajax docs to start building applications today-http://p.sf.net/sfu/adobe-com

Re: Transparency

Hi Farhad,
> You can use any container e.g. Stack, Composite, Scroll ... . I already
> tried using "null" but it ends with the same result: default grey
> background.

That is strange. The default for the Composite is already transparent.
Can you post some code, which demonstrates your problem? Ideal would be
code we could paste into the playground
<http://demo.qooxdoo.org/current/playground/#Hello_World>.

Best Fabian

>> When I use container, they don't have a background color by default.
>> What container are you using that has a color? Try using 'null' as the
>> background color, that will remove all references.
>>
>> Jim
>>

>> On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 10:31 AM, f.taebi <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>     Hi,
>>
>>     im trying to set the background color of a container (Composiste or
>>     whatever ) to "transparent" to make covered widgets visible. The
>>     problem
>>     is that it doesnt change anything i.e. the container doesnt become
>>     transparent and everything is covered by the default grey background
>>     color. So whats the meaning of "transparent" under qooxdoo? And
>>     how can
>>     i achieve the transparency alternatively without inserting divs or
>>     something like that?
>>
>>     Thanks,
>>
>>     Farhad
>>
>>     ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>     Create and Deploy Rich Internet Apps outside the browser with
>>     Adobe(R)AIR(TM)
>>     software. With Adobe AIR, Ajax developers can use existing skills
>>     and code to
>>     build responsive, highly engaging applications that combine the
>>     power of local
>>     resources and data with the reach of the web. Download the Adobe
>>     AIR SDK and
>>     Ajax docs to start building applications
>>     today-http://p.sf.net/sfu/adobe-com

>> Create and Deploy Rich Internet Apps outside the browser with Adobe(R)AIR(TM)
>> software. With Adobe AIR, Ajax developers can use existing skills and code to
>> build responsive, highly engaging applications that combine the power of local
>> resources and data with the reach of the web. Download the Adobe AIR SDK and
>> Ajax docs to start building applications today-http://p.sf.net/sfu/adobe-com

1&1 Internet AG
Brauerstraße 48
76135 Karlsruhe

Amtsgericht Montabaur HRB 6484

Vorstand: Henning Ahlert, Ralph Dommermuth, Matthias Ehrlich, Thomas Gottschlich, Matthias Greve, Robert Hoffmann, Markus Huhn, Oliver Mauss, Achim Weiss

Re: Transparency

thron7

f.taebi wrote:
> You can use any container e.g. Stack, Composite, Scroll ... . I already
> tried using "null" but it ends with the same result: default grey
> background.

Have you tried setting the #backgroundColor property of the container to
"transparent" (a named color, s.
http://qooxdoo.org/documentation/0.8/snippets/transparent_colors)?!

T.

>> When I use container, they don't have a background color by default.
>> What container are you using that has a color? Try using 'null' as the
>> background color, that will remove all references.
>>
>> Jim
>>

>> On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 10:31 AM, f.taebi <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>     Hi,
>>
>>     im trying to set the background color of a container (Composiste or
>>     whatever ) to "transparent" to make covered widgets visible. The
>>     problem
>>     is that it doesnt change anything i.e. the container doesnt become
>>     transparent and everything is covered by the default grey background
>>     color. So whats the meaning of "transparent" under qooxdoo? And
>>     how can
>>     i achieve the transparency alternatively without inserting divs or
>>     something like that?
>>
>>     Thanks,
>>
>>     Farhad
>>
>>     ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>     Create and Deploy Rich Internet Apps outside the browser with
>>     Adobe(R)AIR(TM)
>>     software. With Adobe AIR, Ajax developers can use existing skills
>>     and code to
>>     build responsive, highly engaging applications that combine the
>>     power of local
>>     resources and data with the reach of the web. Download the Adobe
>>     AIR SDK and
>>     Ajax docs to start building applications
>>     today-http://p.sf.net/sfu/adobe-com

>> Create and Deploy Rich Internet Apps outside the browser with Adobe(R)AIR(TM)
>> software. With Adobe AIR, Ajax developers can use existing skills and code to
>> build responsive, highly engaging applications that combine the power of local
>> resources and data with the reach of the web. Download the Adobe AIR SDK and
>> Ajax docs to start building applications today-http://p.sf.net/sfu/adobe-com

Re: Transparency

f.taebi

here is a snippet of code. You can directly paste it into the
playground. It explains the problem.
There are two Composites in a Stack. You can switch between the two
composites. The background of the second Composite is set to
"transparent", but the layer behind it cannot be seen. So whats the
meaning of "transparent" ?

// code
           var root = this.getRoot();
                      var button1 = new qx.ui.form.Button("switch to
second layer");
           button1.addListener("execute",
function(e){stack.setSelected(c2);});
           var button2 = new qx.ui.form.Button("switch to first layer");
           button2.addListener("execute",
function(e){stack.setSelected(c1);});
                      var c1 = new qx.ui.container.Composite(new
qx.ui.layout.VBox(10));
           var c2 = new qx.ui.container.Composite(new
qx.ui.layout.VBox(10));
           var atom1 = new qx.ui.basic.Atom("logo",
"http://resources.qooxdoo.org/images/logo.gif");
           var label2 = new qx.ui.basic.Label("i want this layer to be
transparent");
           c1.add(atom1);             c1.add(button1);
           c2.add(label2);
           c2.add(button2);
           c2.setBackgroundColor("transparent");

           var stack = new qx.ui.container.Stack();
           stack.add(c1);
           stack.add(c2);
                      root.add(stack);

//end

Farhad

> Hi Farhad,
>
>> You can use any container e.g. Stack, Composite, Scroll ... . I already
>> tried using "null" but it ends with the same result: default grey
>> background.
>>

> That is strange. The default for the Composite is already transparent.
> Can you post some code, which demonstrates your problem? Ideal would be
> code we could paste into the playground
> <http://demo.qooxdoo.org/current/playground/#Hello_World>.
>
> Best Fabian
>

>>> When I use container, they don't have a background color by default.
>>> What container are you using that has a color? Try using 'null' as the
>>> background color, that will remove all references.
>>>
>>> Jim
>>>

>>> On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 10:31 AM, f.taebi <[hidden email]
>>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>>
>>>     Hi,
>>>
>>>     im trying to set the background color of a container (Composiste or
>>>     whatever ) to "transparent" to make covered widgets visible. The
>>>     problem
>>>     is that it doesnt change anything i.e. the container doesnt become
>>>     transparent and everything is covered by the default grey background
>>>     color. So whats the meaning of "transparent" under qooxdoo? And
>>>     how can
>>>     i achieve the transparency alternatively without inserting divs or
>>>     something like that?
>>>
>>>     Thanks,
>>>
>>>     Farhad
>>>
>>>     ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>     Create and Deploy Rich Internet Apps outside the browser with
>>>     Adobe(R)AIR(TM)
>>>     software. With Adobe AIR, Ajax developers can use existing skills
>>>     and code to
>>>     build responsive, highly engaging applications that combine the
>>>     power of local
>>>     resources and data with the reach of the web. Download the Adobe
>>>     AIR SDK and
>>>     Ajax docs to start building applications
>>>     today-http://p.sf.net/sfu/adobe-com

>>> Create and Deploy Rich Internet Apps outside the browser with Adobe(R)AIR(TM)
>>> software. With Adobe AIR, Ajax developers can use existing skills and code to
>>> build responsive, highly engaging applications that combine the power of local
>>> resources and data with the reach of the web. Download the Adobe AIR SDK and
>>> Ajax docs to start building applications today-http://p.sf.net/sfu/adobe-com

Re: Transparency

banal
Hi

I guess you misunderstood the Stack widget.
It doesn't actually stack widgets on top of each other. It's more like:
one widget is visible at a time. The others aren't rendered at all,
therefore you won't see them, no mater what you set your
background-color to.

Regards - Roman

f.taebi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> here is a snippet of code. You can directly paste it into the
> playground. It explains the problem.
> There are two Composites in a Stack. You can switch between the two
> composites. The background of the second Composite is set to
> "transparent", but the layer behind it cannot be seen. So whats the
> meaning of "transparent" ?
>
> // code
>            var root = this.getRoot();
>                       var button1 = new qx.ui.form.Button("switch to
> second layer");
>            button1.addListener("execute",
> function(e){stack.setSelected(c2);});
>            var button2 = new qx.ui.form.Button("switch to first layer");
>            button2.addListener("execute",
> function(e){stack.setSelected(c1);});
>                       var c1 = new qx.ui.container.Composite(new
> qx.ui.layout.VBox(10));
>            var c2 = new qx.ui.container.Composite(new
> qx.ui.layout.VBox(10));
>            var atom1 = new qx.ui.basic.Atom("logo",
> "http://resources.qooxdoo.org/images/logo.gif");
>            var label2 = new qx.ui.basic.Label("i want this layer to be
> transparent");
>            c1.add(atom1);             c1.add(button1);
>            c2.add(label2);
>            c2.add(button2);
>            c2.setBackgroundColor("transparent");
>
>            var stack = new qx.ui.container.Stack();
>            stack.add(c1);
>            stack.add(c2);
>                       root.add(stack);
>
> //end
>

> Farhad
>

>> Hi Farhad,
>>
>>> You can use any container e.g. Stack, Composite, Scroll ... . I already
>>> tried using "null" but it ends with the same result: default grey
>>> background.
>>>

>> That is strange. The default for the Composite is already transparent.
>> Can you post some code, which demonstrates your problem? Ideal would be
>> code we could paste into the playground
>> <http://demo.qooxdoo.org/current/playground/#Hello_World>.
>>
>> Best Fabian

Re: Transparency

f.taebi
Hi Roman,

i understand. But alternatively you can make a Composite and then put a
smaler Composite upon it. That results in disappearence of the first
one. How can i prevent it from doing so? And whats the sense of
"transparent" as background color?

> Hi
>
> I guess you misunderstood the Stack widget.
> It doesn't actually stack widgets on top of each other. It's more like:
> one widget is visible at a time. The others aren't rendered at all,
> therefore you won't see them, no mater what you set your
> background-color to.
>
> Regards - Roman
>
> f.taebi wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> here is a snippet of code. You can directly paste it into the
>> playground. It explains the problem.
>> There are two Composites in a Stack. You can switch between the two
>> composites. The background of the second Composite is set to
>> "transparent", but the layer behind it cannot be seen. So whats the
>> meaning of "transparent" ?
>>
>> // code
>>            var root = this.getRoot();
>>                       var button1 = new qx.ui.form.Button("switch to
>> second layer");
>>            button1.addListener("execute",
>> function(e){stack.setSelected(c2);});
>>            var button2 = new qx.ui.form.Button("switch to first layer");
>>            button2.addListener("execute",
>> function(e){stack.setSelected(c1);});
>>                       var c1 = new qx.ui.container.Composite(new
>> qx.ui.layout.VBox(10));
>>            var c2 = new qx.ui.container.Composite(new
>> qx.ui.layout.VBox(10));
>>            var atom1 = new qx.ui.basic.Atom("logo",
>> "http://resources.qooxdoo.org/images/logo.gif");
>>            var label2 = new qx.ui.basic.Label("i want this layer to be
>> transparent");
>>            c1.add(atom1);             c1.add(button1);
>>            c2.add(label2);
>>            c2.add(button2);
>>            c2.setBackgroundColor("transparent");
>>
>>            var stack = new qx.ui.container.Stack();
>>            stack.add(c1);
>>            stack.add(c2);
>>                       root.add(stack);
>>
>> //end
>>

>> Farhad
>>

>>> Hi Farhad,

>>> That is strange. The default for the Composite is already transparent.
>>> Can you post some code, which demonstrates your problem? Ideal would be
>>> code we could paste into the playground
>>> <http://demo.qooxdoo.org/current/playground/#Hello_World>.
>>>
>>> Best Fabian

Re: Transparency

Derrell Lipman
On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 8:36 AM, f.taebi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Roman,

i understand. But alternatively you can make a Composite and then put a
smaler Composite upon it. That results in disappearence of the first
one. How can i prevent it from doing so? And whats the sense of
"transparent" as background color?

Try this program. Notice that the HBox has a background color of blue and the VBox is transparent. You'll see that "Block 1a" placed in the VBox which is in the HBox displays in blue since it and its container are transparent, while all of the other blocks display in their specified color. Does this help explain the use of "transparent"?

Derrell

/*
#require(qx.log.appender.Native)
#require(qx.log.appender.Console)
*/

qx.Class.define("custom.Application",
{
  extend : qx.application.Standalone,

  members :
  {
    main : function()
    {
      this.base(arguments);

      var hBox = new qx.ui.container.Composite(new qx.ui.layout.HBox());
      hBox.setBackgroundColor("blue");
      this.getRoot().add(hBox, { edge : 10 });

      var vBox = new qx.ui.container.Composite(new qx.ui.layout.VBox());
      vBox.set(
        {
          width : 50,
          backgroundColor : "transparent"
        });
      hBox.add(vBox);

      var atom = new qx.ui.basic.Atom("Block 1a");
      atom.set(
        {
          height : 50,
          backgroundColor : "transparent"
        });
      vBox.add(atom);

      var atom = new qx.ui.basic.Atom("Block 1b");
      atom.set(
        {
          backgroundColor : "purple"
        });
      vBox.add(atom, { flex : 1 });

      var atom = new qx.ui.basic.Atom("Block 2");
      atom.set(
        {
          backgroundColor : "yellow"
        });
      hBox.add(atom, { flex : 1 } );

      var atom = new qx.ui.basic.Atom("Block 3");
      atom.set(
        {
          width : 50,
          backgroundColor : "green"
        });
      hBox.add(atom);

Re: Transparency

banal
I just tried adding two composites in the Playground. It works as
expected...
One has a solid color, the other one has set its background to
"transparent" (the default). By setting the background to transparent,
you can see the underlying composite (widgetA).

--- snip ---

var doc = this.getRoot();

var widgetA = new qx.ui.container.Composite(
  new qx.ui.layout.VBox()
);

var widgetB = new qx.ui.container.Composite(
  new qx.ui.layout.VBox()
);

var labelA = new qx.ui.basic.Label("Hello, I'm widgetA");
var labelB = new qx.ui.basic.Label("Hello, I'm widgetB");

widgetA.add(labelA);
widgetB.add(labelB);

widgetA.set({
  width: 100,
  height: 100,
  backgroundColor: "#ffaaaa"
});

widgetB.set({
  width: 100,
  height: 100,
  backgroundColor: "transparent"
});

doc.add(widgetA, {left: 50, top: 50});
doc.add(widgetB, {left: 100, top: 100});

--- snap ---