Python vs Javascript

Philippe Poulard
hi Folks,

I was wondering why the tool chain relies on Python rather than on
Javascript (if I did understand the story)

Since Qooxdoo enhance the OO support in Javascript, this tool could rely
on Qooxdoo libs ; for handling structures, JSON and Python stuffs offer
comparable services.

I'm sure that the Qooxdoo team had already think about that, and I'd
just like to know the reasons ; maybe because it's more easy to get a
runtime environment for Python ?

--
Cordialement,

               ///
              (. .)
  --------ooO--(_)--Ooo--------
|      Philippe Poulard       |

Re: Python vs Javascript

thron7
Hi Philippe,

Philippe Poulard wrote:

> hi Folks,
>
> I was wondering why the tool chain relies on Python rather than on
> Javascript (if I did understand the story)
>
> Since Qooxdoo enhance the OO support in Javascript, this tool could rely
> on Qooxdoo libs ; for handling structures, JSON and Python stuffs offer
> comparable services.
>
> I'm sure that the Qooxdoo team had already think about that, and I'd
> just like to know the reasons ; maybe because it's more easy to get a
> runtime environment for Python ?

That's one of the reasons for sure. The general alternative if you
wanted to deploy Javascript in the tools realm would be to use Rhino as
the platform. Though this is cerainly not impossible, it would involve a
whole bunch of other considerations, like availability of Java, Rhino,
maybe additional Java modules, performance, reliability and so forth.
And those considerations probably were even more severe when the initial
decision in the project was made to use Python. I for one think that
Python is still the better systems programming language and environment.

As things are, I doubt that qooxdoo-the-library would add much to such
systems programming efforts. Besides the basic class system you couldn't
use much of the existing classes; and you would have to build a fair
amount of system classes that would be entirely new and would not fit
well into the existing GUI/RIA orientation of qooxdoo.

The other option of course would be to develop qooxdoo in Python and
cross-compile it to Javascript ;).

Thomas