Problem loading Dialog contrib

Peter Caffin
Hi guys,

I've been attempting to use the Dialog contrib with Qooxdoo 3.0.1
without much success.

Just looking at http://demo.qooxdoo.org/contrib/demobrowser/#Dialog

Clicking on "Compatible with qx version: 3.0," the only contrib listed
is QxjpPlot. Is it a correct reading to say Dialog isn't yet compatible
with 3.0.x?

Going by that page, it seems to be suggesting that Dialog can only be
used up to Qooxdoo 1.5.1. Is this correct?

When I run "generate.py source", I get the following error for both of
those Manifest lines. Is there anything else I might be missing?

C:\Qx.Websites\TestApp_Online>generate.py source

     Initializing: Padded_Online
 >>> Processing configuration

     Executing: source::source-script
 >>> Scanning libraries

 >>> Collecting classes
   - Warning: testapp_online.Application (111): Unknown global symbol
used: dialog.Dialog.warning
   - Sorting 328 classes
 >>> Generate application
   - Processing 2 locales
   - Generate packages
   - Generate loader script
 >>> Done (0m03.69)

---------------------
{
   "info" :
   {
     "name" : "TestApp_Online",

     "summary" : "TestApp Online",
     "description" : "TestApp",

     "homepage" : "http://someurl.com/",

     "license" : "SomeLicense",
     "authors" :
     [
       {
         "name" : "First Author (uid)",
         "email" : "[hidden email]"
       }
     ],

     "version" : "trunk",
     "qooxdoo-versions": ["3.0.1","trunk"]
   },

   "libraries" : {
     "library" : [{
       // "manifest": "contrib://Dialog/trunk/Manifest.json"
       "manifest": "C:\Qx.Contribs\Dialog\Manifest.json"
       }
     ]
    },

   "provides" :
   {
     "namespace"   : "testapp_online",
     "encoding"    : "utf-8",
     "class"       : "source/class",
     "resource"    : "source/resource",
     "translation" : "source/translation",
     "type"        : "application"

Re: Problem loading Dialog contrib

Kai Griffin-2
I've found with most contribs that its not necessarily the case that they're incompatible, just that they've not been maintained past a certain qooxdoo version number.  You might find older contribs making use of deprecated features, though… and I bet Dialog makes use of the old, slower Decorators (just a hunch).

As for the Manifest… you've got your slashes pointing the wrong way.  I think you meant to type:

>       "manifest": "C:/Qx.Contribs/Dialog/Manifest.json"

If you want to use windows backslashes, then you have to escape them, which is an uglier thing to behold:

>       "manifest": "C:\\\\Qx.Contribs\\Dialog\\Manifest.json"
                               ^^^ four of the little blighters
Cheers,
Kai

On 9 Oct 2013, at 07:08, Peter Caffin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I've been attempting to use the Dialog contrib with Qooxdoo 3.0.1
> without much success.
>
> Just looking at http://demo.qooxdoo.org/contrib/demobrowser/#Dialog
>
> Clicking on "Compatible with qx version: 3.0," the only contrib listed
> is QxjpPlot. Is it a correct reading to say Dialog isn't yet compatible
> with 3.0.x?
>
> Going by that page, it seems to be suggesting that Dialog can only be
> used up to Qooxdoo 1.5.1. Is this correct?
>
> When I run "generate.py source", I get the following error for both of
> those Manifest lines. Is there anything else I might be missing?

> C:\Qx.Websites\TestApp_Online>generate.py source

>     Initializing: Padded_Online

>     Executing: source::source-script

>   - Warning: testapp_online.Application (111): Unknown global symbol
> used: dialog.Dialog.warning
>   - Sorting 328 classes
>   - Processing 2 locales
>   - Generate packages
>   - Generate loader script
>
> ---------------------
> {
>   "info" :
>   {
>     "name" : "TestApp_Online",
>
>     "summary" : "TestApp Online",
>     "description" : "TestApp",
>
>     "homepage" : "http://someurl.com/",
>
>     "license" : "SomeLicense",
>     "authors" :
>     [
>       {
>         "name" : "First Author (uid)",
>         "email" : "[hidden email]"
>       }
>     ],
>
>     "version" : "trunk",
>     "qooxdoo-versions": ["3.0.1","trunk"]
>   },
>
>   "libraries" : {
>     "library" : [{
>       // "manifest": "contrib://Dialog/trunk/Manifest.json"
>       "manifest": "C:\Qx.Contribs\Dialog\Manifest.json"
>       }
>     ]
>    },
>
>   "provides" :
>   {
>     "namespace"   : "testapp_online",
>     "encoding"    : "utf-8",
>     "class"       : "source/class",
>     "resource"    : "source/resource",
>     "translation" : "source/translation",
>     "type"        : "application"
>   }
> }

Re: Problem loading Dialog contrib

Kai Griffin-2
I took that bit about \\\\ 4 slashes and 2 \\ slashes from this documentation page about the Manifest:

The logic there suggests that you'd need 4 slashes each time (not just 2 like in my last post); they're using 2 slashes only to escape spaces.  Luckily, you can avoid the whole mess using forward slashes!!

On 9 Oct 2013, at 08:41, Kai Griffin <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

     // "manifest": "<a href="contrib://Dialog/trunk/Manifest.json">contrib://Dialog/trunk/Manifest.json"

On 10/09/2013 07:08 AM, Peter Caffin wrote:

> {
>     "info" :
>     {
>       "name" : "TestApp_Online",
>
>       "summary" : "TestApp Online",
>       "description" : "TestApp",
>
>       "homepage" : "http://someurl.com/",
>
>       "license" : "SomeLicense",
>       "authors" :
>       [
>         {
>           "name" : "First Author (uid)",
>           "email" : "[hidden email]"
>         }
>       ],
>
>       "version" : "trunk",
>       "qooxdoo-versions": ["3.0.1","trunk"]
>     },
>
>     "libraries" : {
>       "library" : [{
>         // "manifest": "contrib://Dialog/trunk/Manifest.json"
>         "manifest": "C:\Qx.Contribs\Dialog\Manifest.json"
>         }
>       ]
>      },

It appears you placed the "libraries" key in the Manifest.json of your
app, but it should go into config.json, into the "jobs" section.

On 9/10/2013 4:20 PM, thron7 wrote:
> It appears you placed the "libraries" key in the Manifest.json of your
> app, but it should go into config.json, into the "jobs" section.

Cheers, thron7.

I've just tried each of the following in the config.json:

           // "manifest": "contrib://Dialog/trunk/Manifest.json"
           // "manifest": "C:/Qx.Contribs/Dialog/Manifest.json"
           "manifest": "contrib://Dialog/0.5/Manifest.json"

Trunk failed with a file not found.

Running "generate.py source" using the local file didn't provide any
indication it had been read and tested.

All of them still resulted in the error "Unknown global symbol used:
dialog.Dialog.warning." and the same "Sorting 328 classes" stat.

Is there something I should be adding to my Application.js to include
the contrib?

Thanks.

======================
C:\Qx.Websites\TestApp_Online>generate.py source

     Initializing: Padded_Online
 >>> Processing configuration
   - Warning: ! Shadowing job "libraries" with local one

     Executing: source::source-script
 >>> Scanning libraries    - Checking network-based contrib:
contrib://Dialog/0.5/Manifest.json

 >>> Collecting classes
   - Warning: testapp_online.Application (111): Unknown global symbol
used: dialog.Dialog.warning
   - Sorting 328 classes
 >>> Generate application
   - Processing 2 locales
   - Generate packages
   - Generate loader script
 >>> Done (0m07.87)

Re: Problem loading Dialog contrib

Thomas Herchenroeder

On 10/09/2013 05:26 PM, Peter Caffin wrote:

> On 9/10/2013 4:20 PM, thron7 wrote:
>> It appears you placed the "libraries" key in the Manifest.json of your
>> app, but it should go into config.json, into the "jobs" section.
> Cheers, thron7.
>
> I've just tried each of the following in the config.json:
>
>             // "manifest": "contrib://Dialog/trunk/Manifest.json"
>             // "manifest": "C:/Qx.Contribs/Dialog/Manifest.json"
>             "manifest": "contrib://Dialog/0.5/Manifest.json"
>
> Trunk failed with a file not found.

You have to use 'master' for the latest Dialog contrib (see [1]). I had
to update the checksum entry for the master version in the contrib
catalog, but then it worked. The 0.5 version is too old and will not
work with current qooxdoo.

[1]
https://github.com/qooxdoo/contrib-catalog/tree/master/contributions/Dialog

> Running "generate.py source" using the local file didn't provide any
> indication it had been read and tested.

It should say something like "Scanning libraries ...". Try the -v switch
to see more output. It should warn if it doesnt find the library.

> All of them still resulted in the error "Unknown global symbol used:
> dialog.Dialog.warning." and the same "Sorting 328 classes" stat.

Which qooxdoo version are you using? Run 'generate.py info'. I get a
whole slew of deprecation warnings, but not the Unknown symbol warning.
The app runs fine using dialog.Dialog.warning.

On 9/10/2013 11:57 PM, thron7 wrote:

> On 10/09/2013 05:26 PM, Peter Caffin wrote:
>> On 9/10/2013 4:20 PM, thron7 wrote:
>>> It appears you placed the "libraries" key in the Manifest.json of your
>>> app, but it should go into config.json, into the "jobs" section.
>> Cheers, thron7.
>>
>> I've just tried each of the following in the config.json:
>>
>>              // "manifest": "contrib://Dialog/trunk/Manifest.json"
>>              // "manifest": "C:/Qx.Contribs/Dialog/Manifest.json"
>>              "manifest": "contrib://Dialog/0.5/Manifest.json"
>>
>> Trunk failed with a file not found.
> You have to use 'master' for the latest Dialog contrib (see [1]). I had
> to update the checksum entry for the master version in the contrib
> catalog, but then it worked. The 0.5 version is too old and will not
> work with current qooxdoo.
>
> [1]
> https://github.com/qooxdoo/contrib-catalog/tree/master/contributions/Dialog

I tried with "manifest": "contrib://Dialog/master/Manifest.json" and got:

=================

     Initializing: Padded_Online
 >>> Processing configuration
   - Warning: ! Shadowing job "libraries" with local one

     Executing: source::source-script
 >>> Scanning libraries    - Checking network-based contrib:
contrib://Dialog/master/Manifest.json
<type 'exceptions.WindowsError'> : 32
The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another
process

After rebooting, the error was still there, which led me to checking the
filesystem. The base directory had a Windows Share on it. I removed that
and ran "generate.py source" with "manifest":
"C:/Qx.Contribs/Dialog/Manifest.json" set.

Viola! "Sorting 363 classes" instead of "Sorting 328 classes" and no
more "Unknown global symbol" error.

Thanks thron7 for your assistance. Much appreciated :)

Pete.