Prevent event listener execution from hiding errors

Prevent event listener execution from hiding errors

level420
Hello everybody,

it seems that the event queues/managers/dispatchers or where the
execution of the listeners happen are hiding errors in the listener
functions.

Is there any way to avoid this?

During development I usualy want to see every error occuring to be able
to debug.

Any help would be great. Thank you.

Best regards...

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Dietrich Streifert

Re: Prevent event listener execution from hiding errors

level420
Forgot to say that this occurs while using FireFox 3.5 with Firebug.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Dietrich Streifert
Visionet GmbH
Firmensitz: Am Weichselgarten 7, 91058 Erlangen
Registergericht: Handelsregister Fürth, HRB 6573
Geschäftsführer: Stefan Lindner

Re: Prevent event listener execution from hiding errors

Krycek
I guess it's more a firebug's bug than qooxdoo's.
Chrome never missed an error (that I'm aware of).
That's a shame because firebug used to be much better.
I guess firebug is in a transition stage. They are changing some core code to support neat features in the future.
But I would be interested in a workaround for the moment.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Dietrich Streifert
Visionet GmbH
Firmensitz: Am Weichselgarten 7, 91058 Erlangen
Registergericht: Handelsregister Fürth, HRB 6573
Geschäftsführer: Stefan Lindner

Re: Prevent event listener execution from hiding errors

tsmiller-2

I wish that I could answer the original question, but I can't.

In my experience all of the browsers seem to have their own internal
algorithm for what errors that they will show and how much information about
them.  When my program breaks in one browser with no error message, then I
can usually run it in another browser and get an error message.  And of
course I don't know if qooxdoo is not feeding the error message to the
browsers in the way that they understand it or not.  It is not a showstopper
for me, but it may be much more important in somebody else's development
environment.

tom

Guilherme Aiolfi wrote:

> I guess it's more a firebug's bug than qooxdoo's.Chrome never missed an
> error (that I'm aware of).
> That's a shame because firebug used to be much better.
> I guess firebug is in a transition stage. They are changing some core code
> to support neat features in the future.
> But I would be interested in a workaround for the moment.
>
> On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 1:54 PM, Dietrich Streifert <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Forgot to say that this occurs while using FireFox 3.5 with Firebug.
>>
>> Dietrich Streifert schrieb:
>> > Hello everybody,
>> >
>> > it seems that the event queues/managers/dispatchers or where the
>> > execution of the listeners happen are hiding errors in the listener
>> > functions.
>> >
>> > Is there any way to avoid this?
>> >
>> > During development I usualy want to see every error occuring to be able
>> > to debug.
>> >
>> > Any help would be great. Thank you.
>> >
>> > Best regards...
>> >

>> --
>> Mit freundlichen Grüßen
>> Dietrich Streifert
>> --
>> Visionet GmbH
>> Firmensitz: Am Weichselgarten 7, 91058 Erlangen
>> Registergericht: Handelsregister Fürth, HRB 6573
>> Geschäftsführer: Stefan Lindner

Re: Prevent event listener execution from hiding errors

level420
Thank you for answering Guilherme!

I tried using chrome in the usual debug cycle "load app" -> "analyse error message" -> "fix bug" -> "load app" but I had a lot of trouble getting chrome to reliably reload all files involved in the app. Even explicitly clearing the cache (besides hitting CTRL-F5) using the chrome user interface did not help.

Do you know any reliable method of clearing the chrome cache so all files are reloaded?

Guilherme Aiolfi schrieb:
I guess it's more a firebug's bug than qooxdoo's.
Chrome never missed an error (that I'm aware of).
That's a shame because firebug used to be much better.
I guess firebug is in a transition stage. They are changing some core code to support neat features in the future.
But I would be interested in a workaround for the moment.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Dietrich Streifert
--
Visionet GmbH
Firmensitz: Am Weichselgarten 7, 91058 Erlangen
Registergericht: Handelsregister Fürth, HRB 6573
Geschäftsführer: Stefan Lindner

Re: Prevent event listener execution from hiding errors

Alexander Steitz
Hi Dietrich,

On Monday 19 October 2009 Dietrich Streifert wrote:
> it seems that the event queues/managers/dispatchers or where the
> execution of the listeners happen are hiding errors in the listener
> functions.
>
> Is there any way to avoid this?
>
> During development I usualy want to see every error occuring to be able
> to debug.
Do you have a short example for this? Maybe something which is embeddable into
the playground application to analyze this issue.

cheers,
  Alex

Re: Prevent event listener execution from hiding errors

panyasan
A similar issue has been discussed in

http://n2.nabble.com/qx-io-remote-State-timeout-td3573467i20.html

The thread's conclusion was that it is a Firebug issue often connected with XMLHTTP Requests.

Cheers,

Christian

Alexander Steitz wrote
Hi Dietrich,

On Monday 19 October 2009 Dietrich Streifert wrote:
> it seems that the event queues/managers/dispatchers or where the
> execution of the listeners happen are hiding errors in the listener
> functions.
>
> Is there any way to avoid this?
>
> During development I usualy want to see every error occuring to be able
> to debug.
Do you have a short example for this? Maybe something which is embeddable into
the playground application to analyze this issue.

cheers,
  Alex

Re: Prevent event listener execution from hiding errors

level420
Hi Alex,

I'm currently deep into migrating our 0.7.x based app to trunk so I will come back to this issue after the migration is done. I then will try to catch the issue in a small demo app.

As Guilherme, Tom and Christian said this may be an firebug issue in coincedence with xmlhttp requests.

Meanwhile if I have the impression that a bug is not caught in the firebug console I switch to IE8 or Chrome in order to catch the bug.

Alexander Steitz schrieb:
[...]

Stefan Volbers
Dietrich,

I believe the thread Christian mentions in an earlier email does also
notice that these bugs which firebug misses are going to firefox
internal javascript error console.
So instead of switching to another browser you may only need to look in
another place. Nasty but IMHO better than IE debugging.

On a side note: I use Web Developer Add-On in Firefox, which adds
several buttons for useful tools, among them a shortcut to error console.

Greetings,
Stefan

Dietrich Streifert wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>
> I'm currently deep into migrating our 0.7.x based app to trunk so I will
> come back to this issue after the migration is done. I then will try to
> catch the issue in a small demo app.
>
> As Guilherme, Tom and Christian said this may be an firebug issue in
> coincedence with xmlhttp requests.
>
> Meanwhile if I have the impression that a bug is not caught in the
> firebug console I switch to IE8 or Chrome in order to catch the bug.

Re: Prevent event listener execution from hiding errors

Dietrich Streifert schrieb:

> Hello everybody,
>
> it seems that the event queues/managers/dispatchers or where the
> execution of the listeners happen are hiding errors in the listener
> functions.
>
> Is there any way to avoid this?
>
> During development I usualy want to see every error occuring to be able
> to debug.
>
> Any help would be great. Thank you.

Hi Dietrich,

some weeks ago I've made the layout flush more robust against exceptions
in user code. The rational was that exceptions in user could should not
be able to corrupt the layout/widget queue mechanis, which is essential
to all qooxdoo applications. This involves a try/catch block, which has
the potential downside if hiding the real source of an error.

To temporarily disable this comment the catch clock in
qx.ui.core.queue.Manager line 177ff.

1&1 Internet AG - Web Technologies
Ernst-Frey-Straße 9 · DE-76135 Karlsruhe
Telefon: +49 721 91374-6784
[hidden email]

Amtsgericht Montabaur / HRB 6484
Vorstände: Henning Ahlert, Ralph Dommermuth, Matthias Ehrlich, Thomas Gottschlich, Robert Hoffmann, Markus Huhn, Hans-Henning Kettler, Dr. Oliver Mauss, Jan Oetjen

Re: Prevent event listener execution from hiding errors

level420
Hi Fabian,

thank you for your answer and it 'may' help. I'll remove the try..catch block and see what happens.