New real time web application framework based on qooxdoo.

itg

New real time web application framework based on qooxdoo.

itg
I'd like to introduce Wisej to the qooxdoo community. We have been working with qooxdoo for over a year to build http://wisej.com - a real time web application framework for C#, Visual Studio (or SharpDevelop.)

We have extended qooxdoo a lot and will be very happy to contribute back to the qooxdoo open source project as soon as the transition is over.

The beta will start at the end of April. Beta participants will received a free developer license.

Don't worry, this is my only announcement.

Regards,
Luca
Ice Tea Group

Re: New real time web application framework based on qooxdoo.

John Spackman
Hi Luca

That looks really cool!  I’m looking forward to my beta :)  I have a few questions (well lots actually ;) but here’s a few for now...)

Does the UI designer generate native Qooxdoo apps?  And could this be used independently of a .net backend?

How does the theme builder work?  That looks like a lot of work and hugely useful.

What’s a “failsafe Websocket connection”?

Cheers
John

itg

Re: New real time web application framework based on qooxdoo.

itg
Hi John,

Thank you! To answer your questions:

- No. The designer and the framework create .NET apps that run in IIS (just like an ASP.NET/MVC app - in the future we will try to add support for apache and nginx and linux/mono). There are dozens of controls and extenders that cover all common controls plus many new ones. It can incorporate most third party javascript widgets, including jquery stuff. You build a web app just like you'd build a regular desktop app, hit run and it works. It's a real time web app because everything in the client is in live sync with the server through small differential json packets. We already have several *very* large LOB apps built like this but using a different less-efficient framework which will be replaced soon by wisej/qx. Qooxdoo for us is the perfect javascript library for our client framework implementation. However wisej is built to be able to work with other frameworks like dojos, but so far we have no plans to do so and qooxdoo is by far superior in my view - and I tested all of the other framework (including extjs, wijmo, dojo, kendo, and others) before we decided to use qooxdoo.

- The ThemeBuilder is a standalone exe that manages a single JSON file containing the entire theme definition. It includes a builtin theme previewer and can theme a running app. The JSON file is used by one our extensions to qooxdoo which is a theme roller qooxdoo class that generates qooxdoo themes from the json. It supports mixin (partial) theme files as well. This is one of the many things that we will be happy to split from wisej and contribute to qooxdoo.

- wisej works using regular http/https and/or websocket (ws or wss) if available. WebSocket allows for push updates to the client. It's built to be failsafe meaning that if the client cannot use websocket it falls back to http. If the client terminates the connection temporarily, when it reconnects wisej creates a new websocket connection and restores the entire state without losing anything.

I hope this answers your questions. Please contact me if you have any other questions. We will update the web site with more information and documentation (msdn style) as we approach the beta and later to the release.

Best,
Luca

Re: New real time web application framework based on qooxdoo.

slah
Hi Luca,
please consider adding me to Beta Testers, I'm really fascianted by the idea and the result, especiallay the theme builder, among others.

Regards,
itg

Re: New real time web application framework based on qooxdoo.

itg
Hi Slah, thank you!

We are looking forward to starting with the beta. In a few days there will also be a short video on http://wisej.com.

Best,