Mobile layouts: how to get equivalent of "Flow"?

Mobile layouts: how to get equivalent of "Flow"?

Derrell Lipman
I am experimenting with qx.mobile, and trying to learn about its layouts. I see that layouts are mostly just a matter of setting CSS, but I can't find where that CSS is defined. The mobile HBox layout, for example returns css class "qx.hbox" where is the source file for that?

In particular, I'd like to achieve the effect of a Flow layout (as in qx.desktop). How would I go about creating a Flow layout in qx.mobile?

Re: Mobile layouts: how to get equivalent of "Flow"?

Phyo Arkar
I suggest to use desktop for both mobile and desktop layout . like we did in phwa.be
it works quite well. You can use flow layout and dock layout.

On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 11:05 PM, Derrell Lipman <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am experimenting with qx.mobile, and trying to learn about its layouts. I see that layouts are mostly just a matter of setting CSS, but I can't find where that CSS is defined. The mobile HBox layout, for example returns css class "qx.hbox" where is the source file for that?

In particular, I'd like to achieve the effect of a Flow layout (as in qx.desktop). How would I go about creating a Flow layout in qx.mobile?

Re: Mobile layouts: how to get equivalent of "Flow"?

Derrell Lipman

Yeah, I know I could do that. I have lots of experience with desktop. For what I'm doing now, I want an interface that looks and feels more "mobile"-like, and would really like to use qx.mobile. In MVC parlance, I've organized my code so I have a mixin that acts as the "controller" for my desktop "view" and that same mixin will be used as the "controller" for the mobile "view."

So... Still looking for how to get flowing widgets on mobile.

On Tue, Oct 27, 2015, 2:03 PM Phyo Arkar <[hidden email]> wrote:
I suggest to use desktop for both mobile and desktop layout . like we did in phwa.be
it works quite well. You can use flow layout and dock layout.

On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 11:05 PM, Derrell Lipman <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am experimenting with qx.mobile, and trying to learn about its layouts. I see that layouts are mostly just a matter of setting CSS, but I can't find where that CSS is defined. The mobile HBox layout, for example returns css class "qx.hbox" where is the source file for that?

In particular, I'd like to achieve the effect of a Flow layout (as in qx.desktop). How would I go about creating a Flow layout in qx.mobile?

Re: Mobile layouts: how to get equivalent of "Flow"?

Phyo Arkar
Yeah, i am sure you have a lot of experience than me , you guided me a lot when i started qooxdoo! :D

> I've organized my code so I have a mixin that acts as the "controller" for my desktop "view" and that same mixin will be used as the "controller" for the mobile "view."

I c , that is cool! I just do not like Mobile framework of qooxdoo. i found it weird.

On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 1:31 AM, Derrell Lipman <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I'm finding that I don't enjoy working with mobile nearly as much as desktop, because there's too much I need to do in pure html because the widget set won't do it for me. Labels, for example, have very few properties, requiring creating html to do things. That means that, in the style of more than a decade ago, I'm required again to deal with browser differences and such, which was my reason for wanting qooxdoo 0.1 back in the day.

I still haven't figured out how to get a Flow layout in mobile. Can someone help me?

I'm definitely finding that I'm agreeing with whomever it was who proposed, a month or so ago (Phyo, was that you?), that mobile and desktop should be merged, to provide a single framework that can present appropriately on both environments. Although I want the presentation that qx.mobile provides for the mobile enviornment, qx.mobile seems to have lost much of the benefit that qooxdoo has traditionally provided. Sigh.

Derrell

On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 8:50 AM Phyo Arkar <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yeah, i am sure you have a lot of experience than me , you guided me a lot when i started qooxdoo! :D

> I've organized my code so I have a mixin that acts as the "controller" for my desktop "view" and that same mixin will be used as the "controller" for the mobile "view."

I c , that is cool! I just do not like Mobile framework of qooxdoo. i found it weird.

On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 1:31 AM, Derrell Lipman <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yeah, I know I could do that. I have lots of experience with desktop. For what I'm doing now, I want an interface that looks and feels more "mobile"-like, and would really like to use qx.mobile. In MVC parlance, I've organized my code so I have a mixin that acts as the "controller" for my desktop "view" and that same mixin will be used as the "controller" for the mobile "view."

So... Still looking for how to get flowing widgets on mobile.

On Tue, Oct 27, 2015, 2:03 PM Phyo Arkar <[hidden email]> wrote:
I suggest to use desktop for both mobile and desktop layout . like we did in phwa.be
it works quite well. You can use flow layout and dock layout.

On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 11:05 PM, Derrell Lipman <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am experimenting with qx.mobile, and trying to learn about its layouts. I see that layouts are mostly just a matter of setting CSS, but I can't find where that CSS is defined. The mobile HBox layout, for example returns css class "qx.hbox" where is the source file for that?

In particular, I'd like to achieve the effect of a Flow layout (as in qx.desktop). How would I go about creating a Flow layout in qx.mobile?

Re: Mobile layouts: how to get equivalent of "Flow"?

Phyo Arkar
Yes Derrell , it was me.

That is our experience too. After we tried to develop a TodoMVC demo for qooxdoo in qxmobile (because we never tried qxmobile that time) . and It is totally out of the sync vs QxDesktop , and we stopped.
That's why i request to merge qxDestkop and QxMobile.

>qx.mobile seems to have lost much of the benefit that qooxdoo has traditionally provided. Sigh.

yes totally out of qooxdoo's original feel. Thats why i experessed my concerns here a bit.

If i am free (right now i am fighting hard to get some funding for my startup, its hard in south east asia)  I can spearhead the development Combine strength, of our team and qooxdoo community and qooxdoo core devs will be enough force to make qooxdoo better than crappy framework such as Angular and React .

Thanks

On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 7:27 PM, Derrell Lipman <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm finding that I don't enjoy working with mobile nearly as much as desktop, because there's too much I need to do in pure html because the widget set won't do it for me. Labels, for example, have very few properties, requiring creating html to do things. That means that, in the style of more than a decade ago, I'm required again to deal with browser differences and such, which was my reason for wanting qooxdoo 0.1 back in the day.

I still haven't figured out how to get a Flow layout in mobile. Can someone help me?

I'm definitely finding that I'm agreeing with whomever it was who proposed, a month or so ago (Phyo, was that you?), that mobile and desktop should be merged, to provide a single framework that can present appropriately on both environments. Although I want the presentation that qx.mobile provides for the mobile enviornment, qx.mobile seems to have lost much of the benefit that qooxdoo has traditionally provided. Sigh.

Derrell

On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 8:50 AM Phyo Arkar <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yeah, i am sure you have a lot of experience than me , you guided me a lot when i started qooxdoo! :D

> I've organized my code so I have a mixin that acts as the "controller" for my desktop "view" and that same mixin will be used as the "controller" for the mobile "view."

I c , that is cool! I just do not like Mobile framework of qooxdoo. i found it weird.

On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 1:31 AM, Derrell Lipman <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yeah, I know I could do that. I have lots of experience with desktop. For what I'm doing now, I want an interface that looks and feels more "mobile"-like, and would really like to use qx.mobile. In MVC parlance, I've organized my code so I have a mixin that acts as the "controller" for my desktop "view" and that same mixin will be used as the "controller" for the mobile "view."

So... Still looking for how to get flowing widgets on mobile.

On Tue, Oct 27, 2015, 2:03 PM Phyo Arkar <[hidden email]> wrote:
I suggest to use desktop for both mobile and desktop layout . like we did in phwa.be
it works quite well. You can use flow layout and dock layout.

On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 11:05 PM, Derrell Lipman <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am experimenting with qx.mobile, and trying to learn about its layouts. I see that layouts are mostly just a matter of setting CSS, but I can't find where that CSS is defined. The mobile HBox layout, for example returns css class "qx.hbox" where is the source file for that?

In particular, I'd like to achieve the effect of a Flow layout (as in qx.desktop). How would I go about creating a Flow layout in qx.mobile?

Re: Mobile layouts: how to get equivalent of "Flow"?

Andreas Ecker-2
Hi Derrell,

as you’ve been using (and contributing to) qx.Desktop exclusively, it’s clear you would need to get accustomed to qx.Mobile. ;-) It’s an alternative GUI toolkit specifically targeting mobile or somewhat limited devices. As such it’s also closer to the underlying HTML and CSS, allowing to code closer to the native capabilities.

Despite being closer to native, qx.Mobile still is quite an abstract GUI toolkit (don’t know of more abstract ones for mobile). There’s no reasonable way to just merge the two GUI toolkits without losing much of the desktop features. If you still want 100% abstraction in the mobile GUI layer, you'd have to stick to qx.Desktop. On most touch devices it should be an ok solution, particularly with the input-device independent event layer since qooxdoo 4.0 (or reduced DOM elements since qooxdoo 3.0). Much depends on your app’s actual needs, a simplified UI design and proper custom theming.

If you want to go with qx.Mobile, you could look into CSS flexbox to come up with a solution for your flow layout requirements. At least one specific to your app. Only newer browsers eventually include a sufficient flexbox implementation, which still might lack features or have bugs. See flex-wrap for features you’d expect from a typical flow layout. Life on mobile ain’t easy ...

HTH,

Andreas

[...]

Thanks, Andreas. I'm quite enjoying the look and feel of qx.mobile; just not how close I need to get to html and css. I'll keep working with it. The flow layout portion is just a small part of my needs (albeit, an important need). I'm quite sure I'll find some appropriate solution.

If I come up with a generalized solution for a Flow layout for qx.mobile, I'll provide a pull request. Otherwise, I'll just do something specific to my app.