Mailing list usage decline - are there other places for discussions?

Mailing list usage decline - are there other places for discussions?

John Spackman-3
Hi,

Over the last few years the mailing list activity has been in steady decline – there seems to be a "normal" amount of development going on (github shows a fairly consistent number of commits) so I was just wondering if there are conversations happening elsewhere that I'm missing?

I scraped some stats from Sourceforge and plotted this graph of mailing list activity:

Re: Mailing list usage decline - are there other places for discussions?

czuendorf
Hi John,

my first thought was about the SPAM filter, we activated. Since a few months, we are rejecting SPAM mails directly and do not review them again.
I do not know if that change influenced your statistic.

Additionally to this change, the Question & Answer StackOverflow became more important.

From my experience (2 years), I would not say that mailing list activity is shrinking.

Greetz Christopher

Am 11.11.2013 um 11:52 schrieb John Spackman <[hidden email]>:

Hi,

Over the last few years the mailing list activity has been in steady decline – there seems to be a "normal" amount of development going on (github shows a fairly consistent number of commits) so I was just wondering if there are conversations happening elsewhere that I'm missing?

I scraped some stats from Sourceforge and plotted this graph of mailing list activity:

<Screen Shot 2013-11-11 at 10.46.13.png>

John
<Screen Shot 2013-11-11 at 10.46.13.png>------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=60136231&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk_______________________________________________

Re: Mailing list usage decline - are there other places for discussions?

John Spackman-3
Aha!  OK thanks I'll subscribe to the tags on SO.  I just took the stats as reported by source forge so not exactly the most sophisticated (!), but subjectively I feel that ML traffic has dropped quite a bit lately which is why I looked.  Does your spam filter affect the source forge emails though?

John

From: Christopher Zündorf <[hidden email]>
Date: Monday, 11 November 2013 14:33
To: qooxdoo Development <[hidden email]>

Hi John,

my first thought was about the SPAM filter, we activated. Since a few months, we are rejecting SPAM mails directly and do not review them again.
I do not know if that change influenced your statistic.

Additionally to this change, the Question & Answer StackOverflow became more important.

From my experience (2 years), I would not say that mailing list activity is shrinking.

Greetz Christopher

Am 11.11.2013 um 11:52 schrieb John Spackman <[hidden email]>:

Hi,

Over the last few years the mailing list activity has been in steady decline – there seems to be a "normal" amount of development going on (github shows a fairly consistent number of commits) so I was just wondering if there are conversations happening elsewhere that I'm missing?

I scraped some stats from Sourceforge and plotted this graph of mailing list activity:

<Screen Shot 2013-11-11 at 10.46.13.png>

John
<Screen Shot 2013-11-11 at 10.46.13.png>------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=60136231&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk_______________________________________________

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ November Webinars for C, C++, Fortran Developers Accelerate application performance with scalable programming models. Explore techniques for threading, error checking, porting, and tuning. Get the most from the latest Intel processors and coprocessors. See abstracts and register http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=60136231&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk_______________________________________________ qooxdoo-devel mailing list [hidden email] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/qooxdoo-devel

Re: Mailing list usage decline - are there other places for discussions?

Thomas Herchenroeder
On 11/11/2013 04:07 PM, John Spackman wrote:
> Aha!  OK thanks I'll subscribe to the tags on SO.  I just took the
> stats as reported by source forge so not exactly the most
> sophisticated (!), but subjectively I feel that ML traffic has dropped
> quite a bit lately which is why I looked.  Does your spam filter
> affect the source forge emails though?

No, we're just blocking mails from non-subscribers. But they were held
before and not admitted to the list, so this shouldn't affect the stats
at all.

The SO tag is low-traffic, but nevetheless. Part. some newcomers seem to
go for that.