Low Qooxdoo activity?

Gaetan de Menten
Hi all,

I notice the rate of development of qooxdoo has fell dramatically
since the 0.8 release. It seems like only support is hapening. Even
taking the various post 0.8 vacations into account, it seems unusually
low. Are you guys (1&1 developers) working on an external project
again? If it's the case, that's fine but I'd appreciate a little more
transparency on this. How long will it last, etc...?

Gaëtan de Menten
http://openhex.org

Re: Low Qooxdoo activity?

Noggin182
Hi, I'm not on the qooxdoo development team so can't give a detailed
answer to this, but the guys worked pretty hard on getting 0.8 out of
the door and have taken well desevered vacations. Also a lot of work has
been going into the much needed documentation. IMHO we should see the
development to pick up spped again soon :)

Gaetan de Menten wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I notice the rate of development of qooxdoo has fell dramatically
> since the 0.8 release. It seems like only support is hapening. Even
> taking the various post 0.8 vacations into account, it seems unusually
> low. Are you guys (1&1 developers) working on an external project
> again? If it's the case, that's fine but I'd appreciate a little more
> transparency on this. How long will it last, etc...?
>
> Thanks,

Re: Low Qooxdoo activity?

thron7
Matthew Gregory wrote:
> Hi, I'm not on the qooxdoo development team so can't give a detailed
> answer to this, but the guys worked pretty hard on getting 0.8 out of
> the door and have taken well desevered vacations. Also a lot of work has
> been going into the much needed documentation. IMHO we should see the
> development to pick up spped again soon :)

Indeed, if you take SVN commits as your only measure, you didn't see
much activity recently. But there is much more work on the project,
which is as important, and sometimes even as visible.

Documentation was a top-priority during the last weeks, and still is,
and given various posts on this list was a good thing to focus on. The
"Wiki Changes" link on the homepage can give an impression.

While we are still not at full strength (Alex returning this week), we
have three new members on the team which need and deserve our attention
to get them going. While the kind and level of support can vary a lot
between them, each minute we spend with them is worthwhile for the whole
of the project and a good investment, yet not very obvious for an
outstander.

Bug fixing was a priority, but much more bug organisation and managment,
to gear up for the upcoming 0.8.1. If you are following our bugzilla you
will have noticed a lot of changes in bug priorization and scheduling.

And last but not least, the amount of effort going into the mailing list
has risen dramatically since the 0.8 release, which is very
understandable and also very appreciated. But we've only got two hands
and one head each, so all the time we spent answering posts on the
mailing list is missing somewhere else ... :). Many issues cannot be
answered in a couple of minutes and off the top of our heads, but really
need research, reproducing the situation, analyzing, and coming up with
answers that both help but also point into the right direction for our
own development.

You see, there's a lot of activity which is not just SVN commits and
"developing" means more than coding ... :)

Thomas

> Gaetan de Menten wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I notice the rate of development of qooxdoo has fell dramatically
>> since the 0.8 release. It seems like only support is hapening. Even
>> taking the various post 0.8 vacations into account, it seems unusually
>> low. Are you guys (1&1 developers) working on an external project
>> again? If it's the case, that's fine but I'd appreciate a little more
>> transparency on this. How long will it last, etc...?
>>
>> Thanks,

Re: Low Qooxdoo activity?

Gaetan de Menten
On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 12:33 PM, thron7 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Matthew Gregory wrote:
>> Hi, I'm not on the qooxdoo development team so can't give a detailed
>> answer to this, but the guys worked pretty hard on getting 0.8 out of
>> the door and have taken well desevered vacations. Also a lot of work has
>> been going into the much needed documentation. IMHO we should see the
>> development to pick up spped again soon :)
>
> Indeed, if you take SVN commits as your only measure, you didn't see
> much activity recently. But there is much more work on the project,
> which is as important, and sometimes even as visible.
>
> Documentation was a top-priority during the last weeks, and still is,
> and given various posts on this list was a good thing to focus on. The
> "Wiki Changes" link on the homepage can give an impression.
>
> While we are still not at full strength (Alex returning this week), we
> have three new members on the team which need and deserve our attention
> to get them going. While the kind and level of support can vary a lot
> between them, each minute we spend with them is worthwhile for the whole
> of the project and a good investment, yet not very obvious for an
> outstander.
>
> Bug fixing was a priority, but much more bug organisation and managment,
> to gear up for the upcoming 0.8.1. If you are following our bugzilla you
> will have noticed a lot of changes in bug priorization and scheduling.
>
> And last but not least, the amount of effort going into the mailing list
> has risen dramatically since the 0.8 release, which is very
> understandable and also very appreciated. But we've only got two hands
> and one head each, so all the time we spent answering posts on the
> mailing list is missing somewhere else ... :). Many issues cannot be
> answered in a couple of minutes and off the top of our heads, but really
> need research, reproducing the situation, analyzing, and coming up with
> answers that both help but also point into the right direction for our
> own development.
>
> You see, there's a lot of activity which is not just SVN commits and
> "developing" means more than coding ... :)

I know, I'm a developer myself. It's just the current *apparent*
slowdown reminded me of the last time you did an external project and
didn't speak about it until I asked. So I decided to ask again. Seems
like I was wrong. Sorry for the noise.

--
Gaëtan de Menten
http://openhex.org

Re: Low Qooxdoo activity?

thron7

> I know, I'm a developer myself. It's just the current *apparent*
> slowdown reminded me of the last time you did an external project and
> didn't speak about it until I asked. So I decided to ask again. Seems
> like I was wrong. Sorry for the noise.

I cannot speak for Andreas who takes care of these things. But I think
with the introduction of our "weekly" news postings we have always given
a good account of our activities and if I'm not mistaken we will
continue to do so.

Thomas

Re: Low Qooxdoo activity?

Andreas Ecker
Hi Gaetan,

just reading up on the mailing list, thanks for your initial question.
I'd like to add a few comments, as your comments may have been a bit
misleading. ;-)

> thron7 <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > [...]
> >
> > You see, there's a lot of activity which is not just SVN commits and
> > "developing" means more than coding ... :)
>
> I know, I'm a developer myself. It's just the current *apparent*
> slowdown reminded me of the last time you did an external project and
> didn't speak about it until I asked. So I decided to ask again. Seems
> like I was wrong. Sorry for the noise.

Of course there is a drop in SVN activity since the 0.8 release. We have
recently focused on other parts of the project that are equally as
important (and made more sense during vacation time). Thomas has gone
into details already about the different tasks, so let me just name a
few: wiki documentation (both manual and project pages), bugzilla
reorganization and updating, project plan updates, 3 new team members,
and so on ...

I thought the weekly status updates would cover much of the project and
provide close, detailed and up-to-date info? :-( In those blog posts we
repeatedly talked about all core developers leaving for summer vacation
after the qooxdoo 0.8 release. Tomorrow is the first day (!) since
August that all core developers are back from vacation.

I'm also a bit puzzled about your comment regarding the activities that
caused a drop in early qooxdoo 0.8 development end of 2007. IIRC, from
the very beginning of our activities there were roadmap updates and
posts to the mailing list about the expected delays. Of course, at that
time we couldn't talk about details, as much of the work was related to
GMX.com, which was to be officially announced a few months later.

Anyway, I think qooxdoo is one of the most transparent and "open"
JavaScript frameworks (weekly status updates, roadmap planning, public
bug and enhancement tracking, public SVN, qooxdoo-contrib, etc.).
Everybody is also welcome to send any project related questions and
suggestions to me directly, I'd be glad to answer, :-)

Andreas

--
Andreas Ecker
Project Lead

Re: Low Qooxdoo activity?

Chris Banford
Hi Andreas,
Hi Gaetan,

just reading up on the mailing list, thanks for your initial question.
I'd like to add a few comments, as your comments may have been a bit
misleading. ;-)

thron7 [hidden email] wrote:

[...]

You see, there's a lot of activity which is not just SVN commits and
"developing" means more than coding ... :)

I know, I'm a developer myself. It's just the current *apparent*
slowdown reminded me of the last time you did an external project and
didn't speak about it until I asked. So I decided to ask again. Seems
like I was wrong. Sorry for the noise.

Of course there is a drop in SVN activity since the 0.8 release. We have
recently focused on other parts of the project that are equally as
important (and made more sense during vacation time). Thomas has gone
into details already about the different tasks, so let me just name a
few: wiki documentation (both manual and project pages), bugzilla
reorganization and updating, project plan updates, 3 new team members,
and so on ...

I think that it is an *excellent* sign that the core dev team is focusing on other things after a massive release like 0.8. Getting the code out the door is only part of the whole, and things like (vacations!) documentation are more than just 'nice-to-haves'.

I thought the weekly status updates would cover much of the project and
provide close, detailed and up-to-date info? :-( In those blog posts we
repeatedly talked about all core developers leaving for summer vacation
after the qooxdoo 0.8 release. Tomorrow is the first day (!) since
August that all core developers are back from vacation.

I've been checking in each week on your status updates -- very much appreciated, and gives a really nice high-level overview of what's up.

Anyway, I think qooxdoo is one of the most transparent and "open"
JavaScript frameworks (weekly status updates, roadmap planning, public
bug and enhancement tracking, public SVN, qooxdoo-contrib, etc.).
Everybody is also welcome to send any project related questions and
suggestions to me directly, I'd be glad to answer, :-)

My only other JS framework proj experience is with YUI, and I can say that qooxdoo absolutely rocks in the above compared to YUI (nothing against the devs of YUI, as they do a great job and are *very* talented). The qx community is much smaller and more tight-knit, which means a lot more interesting things happening versus a LOT less noise (I am close to giving up on the YUI mailing list, as it only seems to contain people who want someone else to do their work for them, before they even read the YUI docs).

qooxdoo has a much cleaner and focussed feel to it. No, its not perfect, but seems to be headed that way :-)

I find these type of discussions really fantastic. Great insights and connections to the project. Personally can't wait for qx 1.0!

Cheers,
-Chris