S, Mohamed Raffi (Mohamed)

Hi,
    In an application, If I have 100 Plain HTML pages and 10 Qooxdoo pages,
it takes lot of time when I move from any plain HTML page to any Qooxdoo
page, because of the Qooxdoo initialization.
My Application is a frame based HTML application.
Is it possible to initialize the Qooxdoo framework in the Menu Frame and
make use of it on the content frame whenever the Qooxdoo page loads...,
instead of loading everytime.

Thanks,
Raffi

Re: Loading Qooxdoo Pages and Plain HTML pages

Hello Raffi,
> Hi,
>     In an application, If I have 100 Plain HTML pages and 10 Qooxdoo pages,
> it takes lot of time when I move from any plain HTML page to any Qooxdoo
> page, because of the Qooxdoo initialization.
> My Application is a frame based HTML application.
> Is it possible to initialize the Qooxdoo framework in the Menu Frame and
> make use of it on the content frame whenever the Qooxdoo page loads...,
> instead of loading everytime.

Nobody has done this before. In theory this should work but at least in
0.7 it would require deep changes to the framework. Especially the event
handling would need to be rewritten. We kep this feature in mind during
the 0.8 development. Some parts of 0.8 are already multi-document ready.
Due to our restricted schedule we have moved full multi document support
out of the 0.8 release. So the short answer to your question is: No, it
is not yet possible and is is unsure, when we'll have full support for it.

1&1 Internet AG
Brauerstra├če 48
76135 Karlsruhe

Amtsgericht Montabaur HRB 6484

Vorstand: Henning Ahlert, Ralph Dommermuth, Matthias Ehrlich, Thomas Gottschlich, Matthias Greve, Robert Hoffmann, Markus Huhn, Oliver Mauss, Achim Weiss

Re: Loading Qooxdoo Pages and Plain HTML pages

Andreas Ecker
Hi Raffi,

would it be feasible for your app to do it "the other way around", i.e.
having a persistent, top-level qooxdoo app that would integrate your
traditional web pages in an iframe? You could even use html anchors in
combination with the history manager to still be able to bookmark single
pages and navigate your website (back button).

Bye,

Andreas

> Hi,
>     In an application, If I have 100 Plain HTML pages and 10 Qooxdoo pages,
> it takes lot of time when I move from any plain HTML page to any Qooxdoo
> page, because of the Qooxdoo initialization.
> My Application is a frame based HTML application.
> Is it possible to initialize the Qooxdoo framework in the Menu Frame and
> make use of it on the content frame whenever the Qooxdoo page loads...,
> instead of loading everytime.
>
> Thanks,
> Raffi

Re: Loading Qooxdoo Pages and Plain HTML pages

S, Mohamed Raffi (Mohamed)

Andreas,
       I am getting your point.
Even If I have the outer top level Qooxdoo App,
When I load the plain HTML in the IFrame and from there on click of a
button,
If I need to load a Qooxdoo page, Can I take the help of the outer qooxdoo
App to bring up the new qooxdoo page on click of the button.

I mean, Can I have a helper javascript (plain js, not the qooxdoo class js)
function in the outer top level Frame and call that js function from the
plain HTML to bring the new Qooxdoo page?

Fabian responded that it is not possible in 7.0, I am just trying to find
the feasibility on your suggestion.

Thanks,
Raffi

Andreas Ecker-2 wrote:

> Hi Raffi,
>
> would it be feasible for your app to do it "the other way around", i.e.
> having a persistent, top-level qooxdoo app that would integrate your
> traditional web pages in an iframe? You could even use html anchors in
> combination with the history manager to still be able to bookmark single
> pages and navigate your website (back button).
>
> Bye,
>
> Andreas
>
>> Hi,
>>     In an application, If I have 100 Plain HTML pages and 10 Qooxdoo
>> pages,
>> it takes lot of time when I move from any plain HTML page to any Qooxdoo
>> page, because of the Qooxdoo initialization.
>> My Application is a frame based HTML application.
>> Is it possible to initialize the Qooxdoo framework in the Menu Frame and
>> make use of it on the content frame whenever the Qooxdoo page loads...,
>> instead of loading everytime.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Raffi

> challenge
> prizes
> world

Re: Loading Qooxdoo Pages and Plain HTML pages

Mr. Hericus
Hi Raffi,

We've done something similar to what you are talking about.  Our main
web page is the Qooxdoo application.  Inside that we display IFrame's
for some standard HTML pages.  Inside the html (inside the iframe), we
sometimes need to tell the outer Qooxdoo application to "do something".
Here's what we do:

To access static qooxdoo classes from the html, embed javascript that
looks like this:

<script type="text/javascript">
var singleton = parent.zed.Singleton.getInstance();
if(singleton){
        document.write("Singleton found!<br/>");
} else {
        document.write("Singleton not found!<br/>");
}
</script>

To access the IFrame Qooxdoo object that your HTML is embedded in, do
this:

<script type="text/javascript">
if(this.frameElement._QxIframe){
        document.write("this.frameElement._QxIframe is available");
} else {
        document.write("this.frameElement._QxIframe doesn't exist");
}
</script>

You can combine both of those techniques, as sometimes you need to call
static classes/methods and pass in "current context" or some object that
is not static and gives you access to your parent/child hierarchy.  We
do that when launching task windows from our wiki pages:

<button
onclick="parent.zed.tracker.TaskPage.launchTaskEditor( window.frameElement._QxIframe, 1);">Task: 1</button>

This uses a static method to open the task editor, but the editor needs
a way to find the current "enclosing structure" within our Qooxdoo app.
So we take the IFrame object, walk the parent hierarchy up to a window
frame that we recognize and use that to open our task editor.

Hope this helps,

Sincerely,
Mr. Hericus
[hidden email]
http://www.hericus.com/

On Mon, 2008-07-21 at 03:55 -0700, raffimd wrote:

> Andreas,
>        I am getting your point.
> Even If I have the outer top level Qooxdoo App,
> When I load the plain HTML in the IFrame and from there on click of a
> button,
> If I need to load a Qooxdoo page, Can I take the help of the outer qooxdoo
> App to bring up the new qooxdoo page on click of the button.
>
> I mean, Can I have a helper javascript (plain js, not the qooxdoo class js)
> function in the outer top level Frame and call that js function from the
> plain HTML to bring the new Qooxdoo page?
>
> Fabian responded that it is not possible in 7.0, I am just trying to find
> the feasibility on your suggestion.
>
> Thanks,
> Raffi
>

> Andreas Ecker-2 wrote:
> >
> > Hi Raffi,
> >
> > would it be feasible for your app to do it "the other way around", i.e.
> > having a persistent, top-level qooxdoo app that would integrate your
> > traditional web pages in an iframe? You could even use html anchors in
> > combination with the history manager to still be able to bookmark single
> > pages and navigate your website (back button).
> >
> > Bye,
> >
> > Andreas
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>     In an application, If I have 100 Plain HTML pages and 10 Qooxdoo
> >> pages,
> >> it takes lot of time when I move from any plain HTML page to any Qooxdoo
> >> page, because of the Qooxdoo initialization.
> >> My Application is a frame based HTML application.
> >> Is it possible to initialize the Qooxdoo framework in the Menu Frame and
> >> make use of it on the content frame whenever the Qooxdoo page loads...,
> >> instead of loading everytime.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Raffi

> > challenge
> > Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK & win great
> > prizes
> > Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere in the
> > world

Re: Loading Qooxdoo Pages and Plain HTML pages

Andreas Ecker
Hi Raffi,

your post to the mailing list was queued by the antispam system, sorry
for the delay. Please register for the list (if you haven't done so
yet), or use the _exact_ outgoing email address you used to register.

Back to your question:
> Even If I have the outer top level Qooxdoo App,
> When I load the plain HTML in the IFrame and from there on click of a
> button,
> If I need to load a Qooxdoo page, Can I take the help of the outer qooxdoo
> App to bring up the new qooxdoo page on click of the button.
>
> I mean, Can I have a helper javascript (plain js, not the qooxdoo class js)
> function in the outer top level Frame and call that js function from the
> plain HTML to bring the new Qooxdoo page?

Sure, i.e. if the inner document and the outer one are delivered from
the same domain. It won't work cross-domain for security reasons. If
both documents are on different sub domains, you could still make it
work setting the document.domain property in both web pages
appropriately. If your html pages are on a completely different host,
you could implement a proxy (e.g. configuring Apache rewrite engine as a
proxy, or creating a regular CGI script or servlet to download the
content from the other domain transparently.

In any case, you could call a JS method in the outer doc. It doesn't
have to be a plain global JS method, it could even be a method of a
static qooxdoo class (e.g. parent.my.app.displayQooxdooPage(id)). Of
course, that qooxdoo "page" wouldn't be a new html document, but rather
an "overlay" of qooxdoo widgets above the iframe (that you'd have
toggled invisible before).

Hope that helps,

Andreas

Re: Loading Qooxdoo Pages and Plain HTML pages

S, Mohamed Raffi (Mohamed)

Andreas,
      Thanks for the clarification :)
You may want to highlight this in some tutorial at later point, which will
attract the people
to adopt the Qooxdoo into a large products. Otherwise some people might feel
the qooxdoo initialization as overhead on each qooxdoo page load, when they
mix qooxdoo with the existing large product.

Hericus,
     Thanks for sharing the experience :)
Regards,
Raffi