License conflict question

Jean-Baptiste BRIAUD -- Novlog
Hi,

We are in the process of delivering a qooxdoo contrib so the code must be dual licensed under LGPL and EPL.

Is it possible to also give the code under Apache license ?
Will it "conflict" ?
How to do that ? Is it just a matter of writing it in the contrib license file ?

Are one of you aware of why or why not Apache license are not more widely used in the qooxdoo community ?

Thanks !

Re: License conflict question

Jean-Baptiste BRIAUD -- Novlog schrieb:

> Hi,
>
> We are in the process of delivering a qooxdoo contrib so the code must
> be dual licensed under LGPL and EPL.
> http://qooxdoo.org/license
>
> Is it possible to also give the code under Apache license ?
> Will it "conflict" ?
> How to do that ? Is it just a matter of writing it in the contrib
> license file ?
>
> Are one of you aware of why or why not Apache license are not more
> widely used in the qooxdoo community ?
In principle you can release your contrib under any license you want.
However we prefer contribs with the same license as qooxdoo because this
makes it easier to integrate it into qooxdoo. Other licenses, which are
compatible with the EPL and LGPL are fine as well.

Compatible licenses include:

MIT: http://www.opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php
BSD: http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/license.txt
Public Domain

I'm not sure about the apache license. I think there was a problem with
with t but I'm not entirely sure. Maybe Andreas can help.

1&1 Internet AG - Web Technologies
Ernst-Frey-Straße 9 · DE-76135 Karlsruhe
Telefon: +49 721 91374-6784
[hidden email]

Amtsgericht Montabaur / HRB 6484
Vorstände: Henning Ahlert, Ralph Dommermuth, Matthias Ehrlich, Thomas Gottschlich, Robert Hoffmann, Markus Huhn, Hans-Henning Kettler, Dr. Oliver Mauss, Jan Oetjen

Re: License conflict question

Petr Kobalíček
Hi,

Apache license is like MIT so I think that there is not problem. It's
used widely in java world so I think that it's good to include it in
the java-rpc backend.

--
Best regards
- Petr Kobalicek <http://kobalicek.com>

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 5:04 PM, Fabian Jakobs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Jean-Baptiste BRIAUD -- Novlog schrieb:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We are in the process of delivering a qooxdoo contrib so the code must
>> be dual licensed under LGPL and EPL.
>> http://qooxdoo.org/license
>>
>> Is it possible to also give the code under Apache license ?
>> Will it "conflict" ?
>> How to do that ? Is it just a matter of writing it in the contrib
>> license file ?
>>
>> Are one of you aware of why or why not Apache license are not more
>> widely used in the qooxdoo community ?
> In principle you can release your contrib under any license you want.
> However we prefer contribs with the same license as qooxdoo because this
> makes it easier to integrate it into qooxdoo. Other licenses, which are
> compatible with the EPL and LGPL are fine as well.
>
> Compatible licenses include:
>
> MIT: http://www.opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php
> BSD: http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/license.txt
> Public Domain
>
> I'm not sure about the apache license. I think there was a problem with
> with t but I'm not entirely sure. Maybe Andreas can help.
>
> Best Fabian
>

> --
> Fabian Jakobs
> JavaScript Framework Developer
>
> 1&1 Internet AG - Web Technologies
> Ernst-Frey-Straße 9 · DE-76135 Karlsruhe
> Telefon: +49 721 91374-6784
> [hidden email]
>
> Amtsgericht Montabaur / HRB 6484
> Vorstände: Henning Ahlert, Ralph Dommermuth, Matthias Ehrlich, Thomas Gottschlich, Robert Hoffmann, Markus Huhn, Hans-Henning Kettler, Dr. Oliver Mauss, Jan Oetjen
> Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Michael Scheeren

Re: [qooxdoo-devel] License conflict question

Andreas Ecker
Hi JBB!

> We are in the process of delivering a qooxdoo contrib so the code must
> be dual licensed under LGPL and EPL.
> http://qooxdoo.org/license
>

> Is it possible to also give the code under Apache license ?

Wouldn't be the LGPL/EPL dual license just be fine for your contrib as
well? Unless your code requires to be put under Apache for some specific
reasons, I'd suggest to go with LGPL/EPL. This would nicely fit into the
qooxdoo ecosystem.

> Will it "conflict" ?

If you only put it under Apache: yes, this would conflict. Apache
License and LGPL (below v3) are non-compatible licenses.

So I would not suggest to try to introduce the Apache license here. If
there are some specific reasons for an add'tl Apache licensing, you
might think of a tri-license LGPL / EPL / Apache.

> How to do that ? Is it just a matter of writing it in the contrib
> license file ?

You should include an appropriate license file with your contrib.
Additionally you should have correct file headers (copyright, license,
authors, ...) for all relevant source files. See the framework or other
contribs for reference.

> Are one of you aware of why or why not Apache license are not more
> widely used in the qooxdoo community ?

Each ecosystem has its preferred set of licenses. For qooxdoo, its LGPL
and EPL, also due to the inherent LGPL/Apache incompatibility.

HTH,

Andreas

--
Andreas Ecker
Project Lead

Re: [qooxdoo-devel] License conflict question

Andreas Ecker
Hi Petr!

On Tue, 2010-01-19 at 23:11 +0100, Petr Kobalíček wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Apache license is like MIT so I think that there is not problem. It's
> used widely in java world so I think that it's good to include it in
> the java-rpc backend.

Unfortunately, it is not that easy. Apache license is not like MIT.
AFAIK unlike MIT the Apache license is not compatible with most of the
existing LGPL licensed software.

TTYL,

Andreas

Re: [qooxdoo-devel] License conflict question

Petr Kobalíček
I don't understand,

for example jquery is dual licensed as MIT and GPL, is this in
conflict (because these licenses are SO different)? If you release
some sw under three licenses then there is no conflict, because users
have choice.

I'm only pointing out that if I have choice then I choose the sw
library under BSD/MIT/Apache over LGPL, and I'm not alone here. You
are showing here license conflicts, but you forgot to say that using
LGPLv2 library in GPLv3 product is also license conflict, but I hope
that discussion is not about this.

Quetion was, will be in conflict to add third license (Apache) to the
java-rpc package? I think that there is no conflict and original
author of java-rpc permitted it.

And if you have problem with Apache license then we can simply choose
the MIT one (it's really simple, you can print in on single page).

--
Best regards
- Petr Kobalicek <http://kobalicek.com>

Petr Kobalíček schrieb:
> I don't understand,
>
> for example jquery is dual licensed as MIT and GPL, is this in
> conflict (because these licenses are SO different)? If you release
> some sw under three licenses then there is no conflict, because users
> have choice.

Dual licensing and licens compatibility are completely different topics.
If a software is released with a dual license the use of the software
can choose either license.

License compatibility becomes important if you want to incorporate code
with a different license into a project. For example if we want to
include code with an Apache license into qooxdoo, which is LGPL/EPL, the
apache license has to grant the user at least the same rights as LGPL
and EPL. Otherwise qooxdoo as a whole would no longer be under the
LGPL/EPL. What Andreas is saying is that the Apache license apparently
has a clause, which makes it impossible to distribute it as LGPL and EPL.

One solution would be to use the Apache license as an additional third
license to grant users more rights. The other one would be to use the
BSD or MIT license.

> I'm only pointing out that if I have choice then I choose the sw
> library under BSD/MIT/Apache over LGPL, and I'm not alone here. You
> are showing here license conflicts, but you forgot to say that using
> LGPLv2 library in GPLv3 product is also license conflict, but I hope
> that discussion is not about this.
>
> Quetion was, will be in conflict to add third license (Apache) to the
> java-rpc package? I think that there is no conflict and original
> author of java-rpc permitted it.

No this will not be a problem as long as all authors agree to the
license change.

> And if you have problem with Apache license then we can simply choose
> the MIT one (it's really simple, you can print in on single page)
Exactly.

1&1 Internet AG - Web Technologies
Ernst-Frey-Straße 9 · DE-76135 Karlsruhe
Telefon: +49 721 91374-6784
[hidden email]

Amtsgericht Montabaur / HRB 6484
Vorstände: Henning Ahlert, Ralph Dommermuth, Matthias Ehrlich, Thomas Gottschlich, Robert Hoffmann, Markus Huhn, Hans-Henning Kettler, Dr. Oliver Mauss, Jan Oetjen

Re: [qooxdoo-devel] License conflict question

Petr Kobalíček
Hi Fabian,

sorry I didn't understand topic correctly, I talked only about adding
third license (the Apache one) as a possible license for the java-rpc.
I talked about this with original java-rpc author and he permitted it
(so I though that it's without problems). I think that adding apache
license as third one is not restriction, it just make java code
license compatible with many others.

--

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 4:27 PM, Fabian Jakobs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Petr Kobalíček schrieb:
>> I don't understand,
>>
>> for example jquery is dual licensed as MIT and GPL, is this in
>> conflict (because these licenses are SO different)? If you release
>> some sw under three licenses then there is no conflict, because users
>> have choice.
>>
> Dual licensing and licens compatibility are completely different topics.
> If a software is released with a dual license the use of the software
> can choose either license.
>
> License compatibility becomes important if you want to incorporate code
> with a different license into a project. For example if we want to
> include code with an Apache license into qooxdoo, which is LGPL/EPL, the
> apache license has to grant the user at least the same rights as LGPL
> and EPL. Otherwise qooxdoo as a whole would no longer be under the
> LGPL/EPL. What Andreas is saying is that the Apache license apparently
> has a clause, which makes it impossible to distribute it as LGPL and EPL.
>
> One solution would be to use the Apache license as an additional third
> license to grant users more rights. The other one would be to use the
> BSD or MIT license.
>
>> I'm only pointing out that if I have choice then I choose the sw
>> library under BSD/MIT/Apache over LGPL, and I'm not alone here. You
>> are showing here license conflicts, but you forgot to say that using
>> LGPLv2 library in GPLv3 product is also license conflict, but I hope
>> that discussion is not about this.
>>
>> Quetion was, will be in conflict to add third license (Apache) to the
>> java-rpc package? I think that there is no conflict and original
>> author of java-rpc permitted it.
>>
> No this will not be a problem as long as all authors agree to the
> license change.
>
>> And if you have problem with Apache license then we can simply choose
>> the MIT one (it's really simple, you can print in on single page)
> Exactly.
>
> Best Fabian
>
> --
> Fabian Jakobs
> JavaScript Framework Developer
>
> 1&1 Internet AG - Web Technologies
> Ernst-Frey-Straße 9 · DE-76135 Karlsruhe
> Telefon: +49 721 91374-6784
> [hidden email]
>
> Amtsgericht Montabaur / HRB 6484
> Vorstände: Henning Ahlert, Ralph Dommermuth, Matthias Ehrlich, Thomas Gottschlich, Robert Hoffmann, Markus Huhn, Hans-Henning Kettler, Dr. Oliver Mauss, Jan Oetjen
> Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Michael Scheeren

Re: [qooxdoo-devel] License conflict question

Jean-Baptiste BRIAUD -- Novlog
Yes, the idea is to add Apache as a third possible license.
Will that be a problem ?

The only thing I can see, is that it would force other developper, on that contrib, to also accept their correction to be under that triple licences.
It should not be a problem.

I'm open for MIT but like Apache products. We're using a lot of them. Current qooxdoo RPC-Java contrib use Apache beanutils framework.

Petr Kobalíček schrieb:

> Hi Fabian,
>
> sorry I didn't understand topic correctly, I talked only about adding
> third license (the Apache one) as a possible license for the java-rpc.
> I talked about this with original java-rpc author and he permitted it
> (so I though that it's without problems). I think that adding apache
> license as third one is not restriction, it just make java code
> license compatible with many others.

Adding a third license is no problem.