Installing Help Needed

Ralph Freshour
I have not worked at the linux cmd line very much. Is there an easier
way to install qooxdoo on my linus server than using make and those
other telnet commands? Other JS frameworks I have installed on my
server using FTP and manually creating the folders such as /js/jquery.
Is there a way to do this for qooxdoo? I assume I will need to use the
SDK version in order to do the normal development work using qooxdoo.

Thanks...

Ralph

Re: Installing Help Needed

Petr Kobalíček
Hi Ralph,

if you haven't ssh access to the server or you haven't experiences
with it, you can prebuild your application on your development
machine.

You can also prebuild main qooxdoo.js file and upload only it (with
some graphics)

Best regards
Petr

2008/7/19 Ralph Freshour <[hidden email]>:

> I have not worked at the linux cmd line very much. Is there an easier
> way to install qooxdoo on my linus server than using make and those
> other telnet commands? Other JS frameworks I have installed on my
> server using FTP and manually creating the folders such as /js/jquery.
> Is there a way to do this for qooxdoo? I assume I will need to use the
> SDK version in order to do the normal development work using qooxdoo.
>
> Thanks...
>
> Ralph

Re: Installing Help Needed

Krycek
hi,

I think a "qx-debug.js" or "qx-all.js"(together with some kind of qx-config.js) would be great for those who are evaluating frameworks. Specially those who are using windows and don't want to install cygwin and all the rest just to play around with qooxdoo.

This kind of stuff makes qooxdoo unique and powerfull but can make people give up if they don't look at it a little deeper.

2008/7/19 Petr Kobalíček <[hidden email]>:
Hi Ralph,

if you haven't ssh access to the server or you haven't experiences
with it, you can prebuild your application on your development
machine.

You can also prebuild main qooxdoo.js file and upload only it (with
some graphics)

Best regards
Petr

2008/7/19 Ralph Freshour <[hidden email]>:
> I have not worked at the linux cmd line very much. Is there an easier
> way to install qooxdoo on my linus server than using make and those
> other telnet commands? Other JS frameworks I have installed on my
> server using FTP and manually creating the folders such as /js/jquery.
> Is there a way to do this for qooxdoo? I assume I will need to use the
> SDK version in order to do the normal development work using qooxdoo.
>
> Thanks...
>
> Ralph

Re: Installing Help Needed

thron7
Ralph,

> I have not worked at the linux cmd line very much. Is there an easier
> way to install qooxdoo on my linus server than using make and those
> other telnet commands? Other JS frameworks I have installed on my
> server using FTP and manually creating the folders such as /js/jquery.
> Is there a way to do this for qooxdoo? I assume I will need to use the
> SDK version in order to do the normal development work using qooxdoo.

It really depends on what you want to achieve. The usual development model
of qooxdoo suggests that you do all of the development on your local
workstation, using a certain layout of files and directories, also using
the generating tools of the SDK, and once you're satisfied deploy it to
the server. But yes, this would require the SDK and support for all those
commands (but this doesn't have to be Linux, Windows with Cygwin will do
the job just as well). The benefit of this approach is you get optimized
deploy versions of your project (optimized in the sense that they are
space-optimal and usually faster during runtime).

As an alternative, you could use the "quickstart" package of qooxdoo (see
the download section on Sourceforge). This provides an all-in-one,
library-style qx.js file that you can place on your server and program
against. The downside of this approach is that you deprive yourself of all
tool support and your projects will depend on this file that contains the
entire qooxdoo class base, which might be more than you actually need.
Also, keep in mind that you will usually write your whole application in
qooxdoo, and will not interleave qooxdoo code with HTML and other code
fragments, so it's really worth looking at qooxdoo's programming model.
The "skeleton", part of the SDK, is a minimal application that follows
that model...

HTH,
Thomas

> Thanks...
>
> Ralph

> challenge
> prizes
> world

Re: Installing Help Needed

Andreas Ecker

just a few additional remarks.

> I think a "qx-debug.js" or "qx-all.js"(together with some kind of
> qx-config.js) would be great for those who are evaluating frameworks.

There is a "quickstart" version of qooxdoo for that purpose, which
contains the entire framework in a single JS file.
http://qooxdoo.org/download#quickstart

Since qooxdoo is a comprehensive web application framework and not just
a rather thin "wrapper" to primarily hide browser differences (like
Prototype, jQuery, etc., if you will), the quickstart is really only
useful for evaluation purposes. Even then people are often shocked by
the file size of this single qx.js, not realizing that for any "regular"
qooxdoo application development the build process would automatically(!)
create an optimized, tailor-made app for them...
http://qooxdoo.org/documentation/0.7/hello_world_tutorial
http://qooxdoo.org/documentation/0.7/skeleton

>  Specially those who are using windows and don't want to install
> cygwin and all the rest just to play around with qooxdoo.

The tool chain of qooxdoo is equally as important as the GUI part. To
lower the entrance barrier for potential users, we'll soon get rid of
the cygwin dependency altogether. All that users would need is to have
Python installed, which is trivial even on Windows.

> This kind of stuff makes qooxdoo unique and powerfull but can make
> people give up if they don't look at it a little deeper.

Full ack. Much depends on a more user-friendly guidance (tool usage +
documentation, the latter one currently not being straightforward or
up-to-date). We'll make sure (at least with 0.8) that people understand
how fast the tool chain "pays off".

Bye,

Andreas