IE 8 problems with qooxdoo 1.3

s.sanchez
Hi List,

I'm encountering problems with my application on IE 8. Actually the app runs very smooth and pretty on all other browsers (Safari, Firefox, Chrome on Mac and Windows), only IE is displaying wrong backgrounds and transparent ugly (not anti aliased) fonts in the color of my root pane background gradient image.

Look at the examples of the same application state:

Any clues or ideas to point me?

Reagards,
S. Sanchez

Re: IE 8 problems with qooxdoo 1.3

Alexander Steitz
Hi,

did you already check for 404 HTTP responses using FireBug or something
comparable?
This is the first step I would take to analyze this issue.

Please report back your findings so we can help you further.

Regards,
  Alex

s.sanchez
Hi Alex, FireBug on IE, don't know anything similar, could you recommend something?

On Thursday May 12 2011 11:11:46 s.sanchez wrote:
> Hi Alex, FireBug on IE, don't know anything similar, could you recommend
> something?
If you are using Windows the probably best tool is Fiddler.
-> http://www.fiddler2.com/fiddler2/

Regards,
  Alex

Re: IE 8 problems with qooxdoo 1.3

s.sanchez
Ok,

done the check with fiddler, no 404 responses, all are 200. I have really no idea what's going on...

Re: IE 8 problems with qooxdoo 1.3

s.sanchez
In this document you can find  'This is achieved by setting a XHTML 1.2 Doctype to all index.html files provided by the framework': http://manual.qooxdoo.org/1.3/pages/development/internet_explorer_specific_settings.html

Tried it with:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
      xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en"
      xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml
                          http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/SCHEMA/xhtml11.xsd"

in index.html with no luck.

I have also alpha in my .png images... still no clues.

On Thursday May 12 2011 14:48:25 s.sanchez wrote:
> Ok,
>
> done the check with fiddler, no 404 responses, all are 200. I have really
> no idea what's going on...
Do you have any custom code concerning the themes or do you use the Modern
theme of qooxdoo?

Regards,
  Alex

Re: IE 8 problems with qooxdoo 1.3

s.sanchez
No, only Modern Theme with overwrites. Have also tried Modern Theme without any modifications, still same behavior...

Re: IE 8 problems with qooxdoo 1.3

s.sanchez
This also happens with a fresh IE install on a fresh Windows 7, including all updates and patches... also all other PCs that I have tested are showing the same behavior... really strange.

Re: IE 8 problems with qooxdoo 1.3

s.sanchez
In the meantime I have switched to qooxdoo 1.4, but same problem, there is another problem there, regarding tabviews:

    "my-tabview" :
    {
        alias : "tabview",
        include : "tabview",
    style : function(states)
    {
    return {
    marginTop: -26,
                contentPaddingTop : 0,
                contentPaddingBottom : 0,
                contentPaddingLeft : 0,
                contentPaddingRight: 0
    };
    "my-tabview-page" :
    {
            alias : "tabview-page",
            include : "tabview-page",
            style : function(states) {
              // is used for the padding of the pane
              var useCSS = qx.core.Environment.get("css.gradients") &&
                qx.core.Environment.get("css.borderradius");
              return {
                padding : useCSS ? [0, 0] : undefined

this works in all other browsers, but IE is showing a small gap right below the tab... look at the splitpane handle. This gap is on all other browsers, using the above mentioned decorations, not visible. But there is also a small improvement, the font does appear correct now, although it is still in the wrong text color!

Please help me out, cannot deploy, if IE does not work at all. If it would be at least useable...

Re: IE 8 problems with qooxdoo 1.3

Joachim Baran
Hi!

although it is still in the wrong text color!

  I cannot address your problem directly, but are you sure that there is not an invalid JavaScript-line in your code somewhere?

  The build process of qooxdoo might let it slip through and you only experience the problem in IE because their JavaScript engine might be less forgiving than the engines of other browsers. Just a hunch though.

Joachim

Re: IE 8 problems with qooxdoo 1.3

Derrell Lipman
On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 15:26, Joachim Baran <[hidden email]> wrote:
although it is still in the wrong text color!

  I cannot address your problem directly, but are you sure that there is not an invalid JavaScript-line in your code somewhere?

  The build process of qooxdoo might let it slip through and you only experience the problem in IE because their JavaScript engine might be less forgiving than the engines of other browsers. Just a hunch though.

And to help identify that issue, you might run "generate.py lint" which is substantially less forgiving than a simple "generate.py build". It may detect problems for you.

Re: IE 8 problems with qooxdoo 1.3 and 1.4

s.sanchez
Have tried ./generate.py lint, the only line displayed is:

ui/CalculationContent.js (395,35): Use of undefined or global identifier 'qxjqplot'

But the plot does appear. IE does not report any exceptions, the app is also functional... only the tables are not really useable. Resize and the Split Panes do work, even the table cell edit does work, you can see the cursor and you can type in some text, but you see nothing.  If I run a calculation, I see results and new rows in an other table which is also like the one in the screen shots. the rows are not visible, but in the status bar you see that something was returned by the server. I think, this is not the issue here...

Never have thought, that this issue would become such a problem.

Thank you all for your help!

Re: IE 8 problems with qooxdoo 1.3 and 1.4

Werner Thie
Hi

would it be possible for you to put up a minimal sample which fails on
some publicly available server. If the problem is reproducible then we
know for sure that this must be solved.

I fight with IE a lot and I always wonder what is coming next in terms
of cutting corners with the MS guys, but I've never seen such a problem
as yours.

Werner

On 5/12/11 10:06 PM, s.sanchez wrote:

> Have tried ./generate.py lint, the only line displayed is:
>
> ui/CalculationContent.js (395,35): Use of undefined or global identifier
> 'qxjqplot'
>
> But the plot does appear. IE does not report any exceptions, the app is also
> functional... only the tables are not really useable. Resize and the Split
> Panes do work, even the table cell edit does work, you can see the cursor
> and you can type in some text, but you see nothing.  If I run a calculation,
> I see results and new rows in an other table which is also like the one in
> the screen shots. the rows are not visible, but in the status bar you see
> that something was returned by the server. I think, this is not the issue
> here...
>
> Never have thought, that this issue would become such a problem.
>
> Thank you all for your help!

Re: IE 8 problems with qooxdoo 1.3

Alexander Steitz

I think I have seen something near it and I think the problem was using
the opacity.

Do you set a opacity value? Or do you deactivate one ore more widgets
with setEnabled(false)?

Regards,
  Alex

Re: IE 8 problems with qooxdoo 1.3 and 1.4

s.sanchez
You got it, Alex!

It was an setOpacity(0) on a qx.ui.container.Composite container!
After removing this unneeded line it is running like a charm!

Thank you for your help and support! You saved my weekend!

Cheers,
Sergio