HtmlArea for 0.8 still not usable

12

HtmlArea for 0.8 still not usable

Petr Kobalíček
Hi devs,

I have one idea to the development team. I remember the "table bug
hunting day" and I will be happy if some day in future can be focused
on the HtmlArea. Qooxdoo is very good framework, but it totally fails
in html editing. It's not usable for any kind of cms systems (also for
ecommerce systems, because here should be html content too).

So my question is. Need anyone html editing in qooxdoo ?

I have contributed some code to it, but there two critical bugs thats
making HtmlArea totally unusable (bugs are already reported):
- Firefox problem with hiding HtmlArea (once you hide it, you can't edit)
- In some case when I press enter, I have this text in new line
"[object HTMLSpanElement]"
  this can be reproduced by hitting enter when you focus in HtmlArea

So my idea is simple: I have some time to contribute to HtmlArea, but
I need that others will fix these two bugs, because I don't know how
to fix them (for HtmlArea authors this should be for few minutes :-) )

Note: I'm talking about qooxdoo 0.8 from SVN and HtmlArea for 0.8.

I will provide simple application where others can look at the bugs
I'm talking about.

Cheers
- Petr

Re: HtmlArea for 0.8 still not usable

Petr Kobalíček schrieb:

> Hi devs,
>
> I have one idea to the development team. I remember the "table bug
> hunting day" and I will be happy if some day in future can be focused
> on the HtmlArea. Qooxdoo is very good framework, but it totally fails
> in html editing. It's not usable for any kind of cms systems (also for
> ecommerce systems, because here should be html content too).
>
> So my question is. Need anyone html editing in qooxdoo ?
>
> I have contributed some code to it, but there two critical bugs thats
> making HtmlArea totally unusable (bugs are already reported):
> - Firefox problem with hiding HtmlArea (once you hide it, you can't edit)
> - In some case when I press enter, I have this text in new line
> "[object HTMLSpanElement]"
>   this can be reproduced by hitting enter when you focus in HtmlArea
>
> So my idea is simple: I have some time to contribute to HtmlArea, but
> I need that others will fix these two bugs, because I don't know how
> to fix them (for HtmlArea authors this should be for few minutes :-) )
>
> Note: I'm talking about qooxdoo 0.8 from SVN and HtmlArea for 0.8.
>
> I will provide simple application where others can look at the bugs
> I'm talking about.
>
> Cheers
> - Petr

Alexander, the author of HtmlArea is currently on vacation. I think it
is wise to wait until he is back in office. He is committed to build a
rock solid html editing component.

1&1 Internet AG
Brauerstraße 48
76135 Karlsruhe

Amtsgericht Montabaur HRB 6484

Vorstand: Henning Ahlert, Ralph Dommermuth, Matthias Ehrlich, Thomas Gottschlich, Matthias Greve, Robert Hoffmann, Markus Huhn, Oliver Mauss, Achim Weiss

Re: HtmlArea for 0.8 still not usable

Petr Kobalíček
Hi Fabian,

I didn't know about his vacation, so it's ok for now :)

Cheers
- Petr

2008/10/6 Fabian Jakobs <[hidden email]>:

> Petr Kobalíček schrieb:
>> Hi devs,
>>
>> I have one idea to the development team. I remember the "table bug
>> hunting day" and I will be happy if some day in future can be focused
>> on the HtmlArea. Qooxdoo is very good framework, but it totally fails
>> in html editing. It's not usable for any kind of cms systems (also for
>> ecommerce systems, because here should be html content too).
>>
>> So my question is. Need anyone html editing in qooxdoo ?
>>
>> I have contributed some code to it, but there two critical bugs thats
>> making HtmlArea totally unusable (bugs are already reported):
>> - Firefox problem with hiding HtmlArea (once you hide it, you can't edit)
>> - In some case when I press enter, I have this text in new line
>> "[object HTMLSpanElement]"
>>   this can be reproduced by hitting enter when you focus in HtmlArea
>>
>> So my idea is simple: I have some time to contribute to HtmlArea, but
>> I need that others will fix these two bugs, because I don't know how
>> to fix them (for HtmlArea authors this should be for few minutes :-) )
>>
>> Note: I'm talking about qooxdoo 0.8 from SVN and HtmlArea for 0.8.
>>
>> I will provide simple application where others can look at the bugs
>> I'm talking about.
>>
>> Cheers
>> - Petr
>>

> Alexander, the author of HtmlArea is currently on vacation. I think it
> is wise to wait until he is back in office. He is committed to build a
> rock solid html editing component.
>
> Best Fabian
>

> --
> Fabian Jakobs
> JavaScript Framework Developer
>
> 1&1 Internet AG
> Brauerstraße 48
> 76135 Karlsruhe
>
> Amtsgericht Montabaur HRB 6484
>
> Vorstand: Henning Ahlert, Ralph Dommermuth, Matthias Ehrlich, Thomas Gottschlich, Matthias Greve, Robert Hoffmann, Markus Huhn, Oliver Mauss, Achim Weiss
> Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Michael Scheeren

Re: HtmlArea for 0.8 still not usable

John Spackman
I realise Alexander is on holiday right now so I'm leaving this as a note
for when he returns as much as anything.

I'd like to add my vote to this - a rich text editor is important and we've
abandoned the FCKeditor integration because it's too slow.

Petr - have you tried the latest SVN version of HtmlArea?  I'm not getting
the "[object HTMLSpanElement]" bug with that version, even though the demo
of 0.3-pre does.

I've nearly finished a wrapper around HtmlArea which adds toolbars for
styling, formatting, images, links, etc in one Widget; I'd like to
contribute it as part of the HtmlArea package but obviously don't want to go
steaming in until Alexander is back.  I'll post it here if anyone wants to
take a look in the mean time.

John

I didn't know about his vacation, so it's ok for now :)

Cheers
- Petr

2008/10/6 Fabian Jakobs <[hidden email]>:

> Petr Kobalíček schrieb:
>> Hi devs,
>>
>> I have one idea to the development team. I remember the "table bug
>> hunting day" and I will be happy if some day in future can be focused
>> on the HtmlArea. Qooxdoo is very good framework, but it totally fails
>> in html editing. It's not usable for any kind of cms systems (also for
>> ecommerce systems, because here should be html content too).
>>
>> So my question is. Need anyone html editing in qooxdoo ?
>>
>> I have contributed some code to it, but there two critical bugs thats
>> making HtmlArea totally unusable (bugs are already reported):
>> - Firefox problem with hiding HtmlArea (once you hide it, you can't edit)
>> - In some case when I press enter, I have this text in new line
>> "[object HTMLSpanElement]"
>>   this can be reproduced by hitting enter when you focus in HtmlArea
>>
>> So my idea is simple: I have some time to contribute to HtmlArea, but
>> I need that others will fix these two bugs, because I don't know how
>> to fix them (for HtmlArea authors this should be for few minutes :-) )
>>
>> Note: I'm talking about qooxdoo 0.8 from SVN and HtmlArea for 0.8.
>>
>> I will provide simple application where others can look at the bugs
>> I'm talking about.
>>
>> Cheers
>> - Petr
>>

> Alexander, the author of HtmlArea is currently on vacation. I think it
> is wise to wait until he is back in office. He is committed to build a
> rock solid html editing component.
>
> Best Fabian
>

> --
> Fabian Jakobs
> JavaScript Framework Developer
>
> 1&1 Internet AG
> Brauerstraße 48
> 76135 Karlsruhe
>
> Amtsgericht Montabaur HRB 6484
>
> Vorstand: Henning Ahlert, Ralph Dommermuth, Matthias Ehrlich, Thomas
Gottschlich, Matthias Greve, Robert Hoffmann, Markus Huhn, Oliver Mauss,
Achim Weiss
> Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Michael Scheeren

challenge
prizes
world

Re: HtmlArea for 0.8 still not usable

Andreas Ecker
Hi Petr!

> Qooxdoo is very good framework, but it totally fails
> in html editing. It's not usable for any kind of cms systems (also for
> ecommerce systems, because here should be html content too).

That statement seems to be too negative. At least the 0.7 version of
HtmlArea is successfully being used in production by large-scale apps.

While the HtmlArea may not be "perfect" just yet, it should already be a
solid foundation for a cross-browser html editing widget. Goal is not to
have another feature "monster" (there are way too many on the web
already).

Thanks for your recent collaboration with Alex for a preliminary 0.8
version :-), so lets continue to make HtmlArea one of the best
components of that kind (as has been pointed out Alex is to return to
work next week). Your input is much appreciated,

Andreas

Re: HtmlArea for 0.8 still not usable

Andreas Ecker
Hi John!

> I realise Alexander is on holiday right now so I'm leaving this as a note
> for when he returns as much as anything.
>
> I'd like to add my vote to this - a rich text editor is important and we've
> abandoned the FCKeditor integration because it's too slow.

Would be great we could collaborate on improving HtmlArea. Such a widget
requires quite some community effort to iron out immanent cross-browser
issues.

> I've nearly finished a wrapper around HtmlArea which adds toolbars for
> styling, formatting, images, links, etc in one Widget; I'd like to
> contribute it as part of the HtmlArea package but obviously don't want to go
> steaming in until Alexander is back.  I'll post it here if anyone wants to
> take a look in the mean time.

Yes, that could become a fine contribution to qooxdoo-contrib for people
interested in an out-of-the-box solution for an HTML editor. Actually,
we never wanted to package up such a combined solution (other than the
sample included with HtmlArea), as one would need to support so many
variants that it easily becomes (again) a heavy-weight configuration
thingy. Attaching toolbars and other elements to HtmlArea should be
fairly easy in qooxdoo to satisfy individual requirements. But if you
think you've come up with a solution that could be widely used, that's
great.

Anyway, as I suggested it should rather be a separate contribution
(maybe called "HtmlEditor") next to the existing HtmlArea. The area
itself should stay a plain html editing widget without custom chrome
(toolbars, etc.). Well, we'll figure out the details, also when Alex is
back.

What do you think? In the meantime you could have a look at
http://contrib.qooxdoo.org for the contribution details and then email
me directly to answer all your questions and getting you started,

Andreas

Re: HtmlArea for 0.8 still not usable

Chris Banford
Andreas Ecker wrote:
> While the HtmlArea may not be "perfect" just yet, it should already be a
> solid foundation for a cross-browser html editing widget. Goal is not to
> have another feature "monster" (there are way too many on the web
> already)

I completely agree with Andreas on this one -- the HtmlArea code should
be kept as lean and clean as possible!

Adding pre-built Toolbars and such will just make it a pig, and most
developers will want it to do something that it doesn't/can't out of the
box. Much better would be a very solid core html editing backdrop, that
we can easily hook into with our own code (am sure this is the direction
you've taken already).

I haven't looked into it in detail yet, but it should give us a range of
events that will let us act on changes occurring while the user is doing
edits, so we can do things like filter the generated html code
efficiently, as well as being able to set properties that will
enable/disable various editing abilities...

+1 for a lean, fast html editor 'core' :-)

-Chris

Andreas Ecker schrieb:

> Hi John!
>

>> I realise Alexander is on holiday right now so I'm leaving this as a note
>> for when he returns as much as anything.
>>
>> I'd like to add my vote to this - a rich text editor is important and we've
>> abandoned the FCKeditor integration because it's too slow.
>>

> Would be great we could collaborate on improving HtmlArea. Such a widget
> requires quite some community effort to iron out immanent cross-browser
> issues.
>

>> I've nearly finished a wrapper around HtmlArea which adds toolbars for
>> styling, formatting, images, links, etc in one Widget; I'd like to
>> contribute it as part of the HtmlArea package but obviously don't want to go
>> steaming in until Alexander is back.  I'll post it here if anyone wants to
>> take a look in the mean time.
>>

> Yes, that could become a fine contribution to qooxdoo-contrib for people
> interested in an out-of-the-box solution for an HTML editor. Actually,
> we never wanted to package up such a combined solution (other than the
> sample included with HtmlArea), as one would need to support so many
> variants that it easily becomes (again) a heavy-weight configuration
> thingy. Attaching toolbars and other elements to HtmlArea should be
> fairly easy in qooxdoo to satisfy individual requirements. But if you
> think you've come up with a solution that could be widely used, that's
> great.
>
> Anyway, as I suggested it should rather be a separate contribution
> (maybe called "HtmlEditor") next to the existing HtmlArea. The area
> itself should stay a plain html editing widget without custom chrome
> (toolbars, etc.). Well, we'll figure out the details, also when Alex is
> back.

I absolutely agree that the core HtmlArea widget should only focus on
plain Html editing but why not include it into the current HtmlArea as
an example application. It is not required to have just one example
application in a contrib project. This way example editor is always in
sync with the editing component and serves as a good example.
> What do you think? In the meantime you could have a look at
> http://contrib.qooxdoo.org for the contribution details and then email
> me directly to answer all your questions and getting you started,

1&1 Internet AG
Brauerstraße 48
76135 Karlsruhe

Amtsgericht Montabaur HRB 6484

Vorstand: Henning Ahlert, Ralph Dommermuth, Matthias Ehrlich, Thomas Gottschlich, Matthias Greve, Robert Hoffmann, Markus Huhn, Oliver Mauss, Achim Weiss

Re: HtmlArea for 0.8 still not usable

Petr Kobalíček
Hi Guys,

I'm happy for too much comments here :-)

First

a) about [HTMLSpanElement] bug:

I'm corrected it, but unfortunally there is something wrong with my
code (see latest commit), because it not behaves good (I don't know
how to document it, there are growing number if <p> tags and I don't
know).

b) about anything else :)

I have sometimes time to contribute to HtmlArea, I have read early all
code, but I have sometimes problems to understand it at all (it's not
badly written, but there seems be too much bugs in browsers and Html
editing is COMPLEX to implement).

Problem for me is that the "firefox focus bug" is still there, try this code:

qx.Class.define("bfly.admin.Application",
{
  extend : qx.application.Standalone,

  members :
  {
    // [Entry point]
    main: function()
    {
      // [SuperClass]
      this.base(arguments);

      // [Main Container]
      this._container = new qx.ui.container.Composite(
        new qx.ui.layout.VBox().set({
          spacing: 1
        })
      );
      this.getRoot().add(this._container, {edge:0});

      // [MenuBar]
      this._tabView = new qx.ui.tabview.TabView();
      this._container.add(this._tabView, {flex: 1});

      for (var i = 0; i < 3; i++)
      {
        var page = new qx.ui.tabview.Page("Page " + i);
        var area = new htmlarea.HtmlArea();

        page.setLayout(new qx.ui.layout.Canvas);
        page.add(area, {edge: 0});

        this._tabView.add(page);

When you use TABs, you can't focus to previously hidden HtmlAreas in Firefox.

c) And for John,

John, I'm doing something very similar to your work. I called it
RichEditor and it's HtmlArea with toolbars with some customizing way.
My code depends to our system, but I try to make it generic. We can
colaborate on this if you want.

Cheers
- Petr

2008/10/9 Fabian Jakobs <[hidden email]>:

> Andreas Ecker schrieb:
>> Hi John!
>>

>>> I realise Alexander is on holiday right now so I'm leaving this as a note
>>> for when he returns as much as anything.
>>>
>>> I'd like to add my vote to this - a rich text editor is important and we've
>>> abandoned the FCKeditor integration because it's too slow.
>>>

>> Would be great we could collaborate on improving HtmlArea. Such a widget
>> requires quite some community effort to iron out immanent cross-browser
>> issues.
>>

>>> I've nearly finished a wrapper around HtmlArea which adds toolbars for
>>> styling, formatting, images, links, etc in one Widget; I'd like to
>>> contribute it as part of the HtmlArea package but obviously don't want to go
>>> steaming in until Alexander is back.  I'll post it here if anyone wants to
>>> take a look in the mean time.
>>>

>> Yes, that could become a fine contribution to qooxdoo-contrib for people
>> interested in an out-of-the-box solution for an HTML editor. Actually,
>> we never wanted to package up such a combined solution (other than the
>> sample included with HtmlArea), as one would need to support so many
>> variants that it easily becomes (again) a heavy-weight configuration
>> thingy. Attaching toolbars and other elements to HtmlArea should be
>> fairly easy in qooxdoo to satisfy individual requirements. But if you
>> think you've come up with a solution that could be widely used, that's
>> great.
>>
>> Anyway, as I suggested it should rather be a separate contribution
>> (maybe called "HtmlEditor") next to the existing HtmlArea. The area
>> itself should stay a plain html editing widget without custom chrome
>> (toolbars, etc.). Well, we'll figure out the details, also when Alex is
>> back.
>>
> I absolutely agree that the core HtmlArea widget should only focus on
> plain Html editing but why not include it into the current HtmlArea as
> an example application. It is not required to have just one example
> application in a contrib project. This way example editor is always in
> sync with the editing component and serves as a good example.
>> What do you think? In the meantime you could have a look at
>> http://contrib.qooxdoo.org for the contribution details and then email
>> me directly to answer all your questions and getting you started,
>>

> Best Fabian
>

> --
> Fabian Jakobs
> JavaScript Framework Developer
>
> 1&1 Internet AG
> Brauerstraße 48
> 76135 Karlsruhe
>
> Amtsgericht Montabaur HRB 6484
>
> Vorstand: Henning Ahlert, Ralph Dommermuth, Matthias Ehrlich, Thomas Gottschlich, Matthias Greve, Robert Hoffmann, Markus Huhn, Oliver Mauss, Achim Weiss
> Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Michael Scheeren

Re: HtmlArea for 0.8 still not usable

John Spackman
Hi Petr,

I'm very happy to collaborate on this - although I suspect I'll be more a
user of HtmlArea itself than a major contributor to it.  I think that there
is a reasonable amount of work to add rich controls to the editor and make
it a very accessible and easy to use component, especially for the smarter
features like image pickers and other dialogs etc so it would be great to
work together on this.  Is it possible for you to put your RichEditor on the
web somewhere?  I need to finish some things off today but upload it later
on for you to look at.

> [...]

> application in a contrib project. This way example editor is always in
> sync with the editing component and serves as a good example.
>> What do you think? In the meantime you could have a look at
>> http://contrib.qooxdoo.org for the contribution details and then email
>> me directly to answer all your questions and getting you started,
>>

> Best Fabian
>

> --
> Fabian Jakobs
> JavaScript Framework Developer
>
> 1&1 Internet AG
> Brauerstraße 48
> 76135 Karlsruhe
>
> Amtsgericht Montabaur HRB 6484
>
> Vorstand: Henning Ahlert, Ralph Dommermuth, Matthias Ehrlich, Thomas
Gottschlich, Matthias Greve, Robert Hoffmann, Markus Huhn, Oliver Mauss,
Achim Weiss
> Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Michael Scheeren

Hi guys,

I've uploaded my sample and the code to
http://www.zenesis.com/qx/dev/myapp/source/ - there's a readme at
http://www.zenesis.com/qx/dev/README.txt and if you want to take a look at
the code it's http://www.zenesis.com/qx/dev.zip.

John

> [...]

> application in a contrib project. This way example editor is always in
> sync with the editing component and serves as a good example.
>> What do you think? In the meantime you could have a look at
>> http://contrib.qooxdoo.org for the contribution details and then email
>> me directly to answer all your questions and getting you started,
>>

> Best Fabian
>

> --
> Fabian Jakobs
> JavaScript Framework Developer
>
> 1&1 Internet AG
> Brauerstraße 48
> 76135 Karlsruhe
>
> Amtsgericht Montabaur HRB 6484
>
> Vorstand: Henning Ahlert, Ralph Dommermuth, Matthias Ehrlich, Thomas
Gottschlich, Matthias Greve, Robert Hoffmann, Markus Huhn, Oliver Mauss,
Achim Weiss
> Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Michael Scheeren

Hi John,

Thanks for you sample, I'm trying to split my implementation but some
things are very dependent to our file browser. I hope that tonight it
will be ready, but without file browser.

You implementation is good:)

Cheers
- Petr

2008/10/10 John Spackman <[hidden email]>:

> Hi guys,
>
> I've uploaded my sample and the code to
> http://www.zenesis.com/qx/dev/myapp/source/ - there's a readme at
> http://www.zenesis.com/qx/dev/README.txt and if you want to take a look at
> the code it's http://www.zenesis.com/qx/dev.zip.
>
> John

After some time I'm posting here my code, that's only stripped from
our application. I don't have time to make it functional without our
components.

Currently we are not using this RichText and we will probably never use.

Cheers
- Petr

/**
 * Html area widget width toolbar.
 */
qx.Class.define("bfly.ui.RichText",
{
  extend: qx.ui.container.Composite,

  construct: function()
  {
    // [Super Class]
    this.base(arguments);

    // [UI]
    this.setLayout(new qx.ui.layout.VBox());

    this._tools = {};
    this._syncing = false;

    this._toolBar = new qx.ui.toolbar.ToolBar().set({show: "icon"});
    this._htmlArea = new htmlarea.HtmlArea();
    this._htmlArea.setPostprocess(this.self(arguments)._postprocess);
    this._htmlArea.addListener("cursorContext", this._oncursorcontext, this);
    this.add(this._toolBar);
    this.add(this._htmlArea, {flex:1});

    this.addTools(this.getTools());
  },

  members:
  {
    getToolBar: function()
    {
      return this._toolBar;
    },

    getHtmlArea: function()
    {
      return this._htmlArea;
    },

    getTools: function()
    {
      var area = this._htmlArea;

      var tools =
      [
        { name: "bold"                   , type: "checkbox"   , res:
"editor/format-text-bold"          , action: this._onbold
   , context: this },
        { name: "italic"                 , type: "checkbox"   , res:
"editor/format-text-italic"        , action: this._onitalic
   , context: this },
        { name: "underline"              , type: "checkbox"   , res:
"editor/format-text-underline"     , action: this._onunderline
   , context: this },
        { name: "strikethrough"          , type: "checkbox"   , res:
"editor/format-text-strikethrough" , action: this._onstrikethrough
   , context: this },

        { name: "alignLeft"              , type: "radiobutton", res:
"editor/format-justify-left"       , action: area.setJustifyLeft
   , context: area },
        { name: "alignCenter"            , type: "radiobutton", res:
"editor/format-justify-center"     , action: area.setJustifyCenter
   , context: area },
        { name: "alignRight"             , type: "radiobutton", res:
"editor/format-justify-right"      , action: area.setJustifyRight
   , context: area },
        { name: "alignJustify"           , type: "radiobutton", res:
"editor/format-justify-fill"       , action: area.setJustifyFull
   , context: area },

        //{ name: "fontsize",              res:
"editor/format-font-size"          , action: this._onFontSize
   , context: this },
        //{ name: "fontcolor",             res:
"editor/format-text-color"         , action: this._onFontColor
   , context: this },
        //{ name: "textBackgroundColor",   res:
"editor/format-text-bg"            , action:
this._onTextBackgroundColor  , context: this },

        { name: "insertImage"            , type: "button"     , res:
"editor/insert-image"              , action: this._onInsertImage
   , context: this },
        //{ name: "insertTable",           res: "editor/insert-table"
            , action: this._onInsertTable          , context: this },

        //{ name: "ol",                    res: "editor/list-ordered"
            , action: area.insertOrderedList       , context: area },
        //{ name: "ul",                    res:
"editor/list-unordered"            , action: area.insertUnorderedList
   , context: area },

        //{ name: "undo",                  res: "actions/go-previous"
            , action: area.undo                    , context: area },
        //{ name: "redo",                  res: "actions/go-next"
            , action: area.redo                    , context: area },

        //{ name: "removeFormat",          res: "editor/format-clear"
            , action: area.removeFormat            , context: area }
        { name: "test"                   , type: "button"     , res:
"actions/wheel"                    , action: this._onTest
   , context: area },
        { name: "spacer"                 , type: "spacer"

                 },
        { name: "html"                   , type: "checkbox"   , res:
"actions/wheel"                    , action: this._onhtml
   , context: area }
      ];
      return tools;
    },

    // [Put together toolbar entries]
    addTools: function(tools)
    {
      for (var i = 0, len = tools.length; i < len; i++) this.addTool(tools[i]);
    },

    addTool: function(tool)
    {
      var widget;
      var layout = {};

      switch (tool.type)
      {
        case "button":
          widget = new qx.ui.toolbar.Button(null,
bfly.ui.Resources.getIcon(tool.res, "toolbar"));
          widget.set({ focusable : false, keepFocus : true });
          widget.addListener("execute", tool.action, tool.context || this);
          break;
        case "checkbox":
          widget = new qx.ui.toolbar.CheckBox(null,
bfly.ui.Resources.getIcon(tool.res, "toolbar"));
          widget.set({ focusable : false, keepFocus : true });
          widget.addListener("changeChecked", tool.action,
tool.context || this);
          break;
        case "radiobutton":
          widget = new qx.ui.toolbar.CheckBox(null,
bfly.ui.Resources.getIcon(tool.res, "toolbar"));
          widget.set({ focusable : false, keepFocus : true });
          widget.addListener("changeChecked", tool.action,
tool.context || this);
          break;
        case "spacer":
          widget = new qx.ui.core.Spacer();
          layout.flex = 1;
          break;
        default:
          throw new Error("Unknown tool type: " + tool.type);
      }

      this._tools[tool.name] = widget;
      this._toolBar.add(widget, layout);
    },

    // ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    // [Event Handlers]
    // ------------------------------------------------------------------------

    _oncursorcontext: function(e)
    {
      var val = e.getData();
      var old = e.getOldData();
      var tools = this._tools;

      this._syncing = true;

      if (tools.bold) tools.bold.setChecked(!!val.bold);
      if (tools.italic) tools.italic.setChecked(!!val.italic);
      if (tools.underline) tools.underline.setChecked(!!val.underline);
      if (tools.strikethrough)
tools.strikethrough.setChecked(!!val.strikethrough);

      this._syncing = false;
    },

    _onbold: function(e)
    {
      if (!this._syncing) this._htmlArea.setBold();
    },

    _onitalic: function(e)
    {
      if (!this._syncing) this._htmlArea.setItalic();
    },

    _onunderline: function(e)
    {
      if (!this._syncing) this._htmlArea.setUnderline();
    },

    _onstrikethrough: function(e)
    {
      if (!this._syncing) this._htmlArea.setStrikeThrough();
    },

    _onhtml: function(e)

    // [Special handler for Toolbar entries]
    _onFontSize: function(e)
    {
      var result = window.prompt("FontSize: ", "");
      this.getHtmlArea().setFontSize(parseInt(result));
    },

    _onFontColor: function(e)
    {
      var result = window.prompt("Color (Hex): ", "#");
      this.getHtmlArea().setTextColor(result);
    },

    _onTextBackgroundColor: function(e)
    {
      var result = window.prompt("BgColor (Hex): ", "#");
      this.getHtmlArea().setTextBackgroundColor(result);
    },

    _onInsertImage: function(e)
    {
      var win = new bfly.admin.tools.FileBrowserWindow().set({
        width: 800,
        modal: true
      });
      win.getFileBrowser().setAddress("/res/");
      win.getFileBrowser().addListener("confirm", function(e)
      {
        var attributes = {
          src    : e.getData(),
          border : 0,
          title  : "image",
          alt    : "image"
        };
        this.getHtmlArea().insertImage(attributes);
        win.close();
      }, this);
      win.addListener("close", function()
      {
        win.close();
        win.destroy();
      }, this);

      app.getRoot().add(win);
      win.center();
      win.show();
    },

    _onInsertTable: function(e)
    {
      var table =
      "<table border='1'>" +
        "<tbody>" +
          "<tr>" +
            "<td>First Row, First cell</td>" +
            "<td>First Row, Second cell</td>" +
          "</tr>" +
          "<tr>" +
            "<td>Second Row, First cell</td>" +
            "<td>Second Row, Second cell</td>" +
          "</tr>" +
        "</tbody>" +
      "</table>";
      this.getHtmlArea().insertHtml(table);
    },

    _onTest: function(e)
    {
      alert(this.getHtml());

  statics:
  {
    _postprocess: function(i)
    {
      if (i.tag === "span")
      {
        // Create <b> from <span style="font-weight: bold;">
        if (i.styles["font-weight"] === "bold")
        {
          i.tag = "b"; delete i.styles["font-weight"];
        }
        // Create <i> from <span style="font-style: italic;">
        else if (i.styles["font-style"] === "italic")
        {
          i.tag = "i"; delete i.styles["font-style"];
        }
        // Create <u> from <span style="font-style: italic;">
        else if (i.styles["text-decoration"] === "underline")
        {
          i.tag = "u"; delete i.styles["text-decoration"];
        }
        // Create <s> from <span style="text-decoration: line-through;">
        else if (i.styles["text-decoration"] === "line-through")
        {
          i.tag = "strike"; delete i.styles["text-decoration"];

      // Remove empty tag <span></span>, but this also removes
generated <b></b>, ...
      //
      // NOTE: There are checks if element contains attributes and
styles, so it will
      // be removed ONLY if it's really empty "<span></span>" if span
has for example
      // id or class, it will be not removed.
      //
      // This can be called as "non-destructive" removing
      if (qx.lang.Object.isEmpty(i.attributes) &&
qx.lang.Object.isEmpty(i.styles) && !i.domElement.hasChildNodes())
      {
        i.tag = "";

2008/10/11 Petr Kobalíček <[hidden email]>:

> Hi John,
>
> Thanks for you sample, I'm trying to split my implementation but some
> things are very dependent to our file browser. I hope that tonight it
> will be ready, but without file browser.
>
> You implementation is good:)
>
> Cheers
> - Petr
>
> 2008/10/10 John Spackman <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I've uploaded my sample and the code to
>> http://www.zenesis.com/qx/dev/myapp/source/ - there's a readme at
>> http://www.zenesis.com/qx/dev/README.txt and if you want to take a look at
>> the code it's http://www.zenesis.com/qx/dev.zip.
>>
>> John

Alexander Back
Hi Petr,

Petr Kobalíček wrote:
> After some time I'm posting here my code, that's only stripped from
> our application. I don't have time to make it functional without our
> components.
>
> Currently we are not using this RichText and we will probably never use.
I'm curious about your reason not to choose the HtmlArea ever again.
Which bugs are open in 0.3-pre version which prevents you from using
this widget?
As a side note: I've fixed this annoying focus bug in Firefox (
http://bugzilla.qooxdoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1366 ) this week.

As far as I know the current 0.3-pre version is usable and there are no
major bugs open. So if you encountered some major bugs I'm currently not
aware of let us know by filing bug reports.

thanks,
   Alex

> Cheers
> - Petr
> 2008/10/11 Petr Kobalíček <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi John,
>>
>> Thanks for you sample, I'm trying to split my implementation but some
>> things are very dependent to our file browser. I hope that tonight it
>> will be ready, but without file browser.
>>
>> You implementation is good:)
>>
>> Cheers
>> - Petr
>>
>> 2008/10/10 John Spackman <[hidden email]>:
>>> Hi guys,
>>>
>>> I've uploaded my sample and the code to
>>> http://www.zenesis.com/qx/dev/myapp/source/ - there's a readme at
>>> http://www.zenesis.com/qx/dev/README.txt and if you want to take a look at
>>> the code it's http://www.zenesis.com/qx/dev.zip.
>>>
>>> John

Hi Alex,

Fixed focus bug is great:-)

Problem is that I have currently too little time to try HtmlArea
again. When I will have some time I will try to get our RichText
component from our application and I will be happy to share it (and to
improve it in community base).

There are some problems, but I can't describe them without live
demonstration. For example B, I, U and S checkboxes are sometimes not
updated correctly.

Meybe I can try it now:)

Cheers
Petr

2008/10/31 Alexander Back <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Petr,
>
> Petr Kobalíček wrote:
>> After some time I'm posting here my code, that's only stripped from
>> our application. I don't have time to make it functional without our
>> components.
>>
>> Currently we are not using this RichText and we will probably never use.
> I'm curious about your reason not to choose the HtmlArea ever again.
> Which bugs are open in 0.3-pre version which prevents you from using
> this widget?
> As a side note: I've fixed this annoying focus bug in Firefox (
> http://bugzilla.qooxdoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1366 ) this week.
>
> As far as I know the current 0.3-pre version is usable and there are no
> major bugs open. So if you encountered some major bugs I'm currently not
> aware of let us know by filing bug reports.
>
> thanks,
>   Alex
>

>> Cheers
>> - Petr
>> 2008/10/11 Petr Kobalíček <[hidden email]>:
>>> Hi John,
>>>
>>> Thanks for you sample, I'm trying to split my implementation but some
>>> things are very dependent to our file browser. I hope that tonight it
>>> will be ready, but without file browser.
>>>
>>> You implementation is good:)
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> - Petr

IMHO it's not that HtmlArea itself is unusable, it's that it is often not usable on its own; in order to integrate it into an application there needs to be simple toolbars for bold/italic/etc but also more complex issues like:

+. support for styles (H1, H2, etc as well as custom styles in SPAN tags) - this requires some fairly involved code manipulating the DOM
+. An image picker where the server can be browsed in some way
+. Other dialogs for inputing and editing URLs etc

The current demo makes HtmlArea look like a poor cousin to FCKEditor/TinyMCE/etc and it's only when you look further that you realise that HtmlArea is something _good_ but that is intended to be built upon.  I only realised it when I got fed up with FCKEditor being so slow, and I'm not the only one to make that mistake.

Petr & I briefly raised these issues while you were on holiday (my [slightly buggy] version is available here http://www.zenesis.com/qx/dev/) and we discussed working on a contrib.

I'd like to suggest that it becomes part of the HtmlArea contrib - anyone who wants a drop-in user friendly editor uses the HtmlEditor class but internally there's a clear separation between the toolbars etc and the HtmlArea.  At the very least, it would be a great demo for the HtmlArea control.

What do you think?

John

> After some time I'm posting here my code, that's only stripped from
> our application. I don't have time to make it functional without our
> components.
>
> Currently we are not using this RichText and we will probably never use.
I'm curious about your reason not to choose the HtmlArea ever again.
Which bugs are open in 0.3-pre version which prevents you from using
this widget?
As a side note: I've fixed this annoying focus bug in Firefox (
http://bugzilla.qooxdoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1366 ) this week.

As far as I know the current 0.3-pre version is usable and there are no
major bugs open. So if you encountered some major bugs I'm currently not
aware of let us know by filing bug reports.

thanks,
   Alex

> Cheers
> - Petr
> 2008/10/11 Petr Kobalíček <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi John,
>>
>> Thanks for you sample, I'm trying to split my implementation but some
>> things are very dependent to our file browser. I hope that tonight it
>> will be ready, but without file browser.
>>
>> You implementation is good:)
>>
>> Cheers
>> - Petr
>>
>> 2008/10/10 John Spackman <[hidden email]>:
>>> Hi guys,
>>>
>>> I've uploaded my sample and the code to
>>> http://www.zenesis.com/qx/dev/myapp/source/ - there's a readme at
>>> http://www.zenesis.com/qx/dev/README.txt and if you want to take a look at
>>> the code it's http://www.zenesis.com/qx/dev.zip.
>>>
>>> John

I have some simple image chooser and I can release it under BSD
licence. If you are interested I can send it to you, but as all my
code, it depends to some our code that I cannot release.

But it's only image chooser with NO thinks like image width,height,
alt text and others. Also main problem is that it can show only file
names, not thumbnails, because flow layout not works well :(

I'm sending screenshot to imagine how it's look like (nothing pretty)

screen-editor.png (54K) Download Attachment

Re: HtmlArea for 0.8 still not usable

John Spackman
Hi Petr,

Yes please, that looks very cool but I'm worried that the licensing might
conflict with the Qooxdoo and that might prevent it from being a contrib?  I
am literally just off on holiday (I popped back into the office to get the
hotel info and my g/f is not amused!) but I'll take this up again in a few
weeks

John

I have some simple image chooser and I can release it under BSD licence. If
you are interested I can send it to you, but as all my code, it depends to
some our code that I cannot release.

But it's only image chooser with NO thinks like image width,height, alt text
and others. Also main problem is that it can show only file names, not
thumbnails, because flow layout not works well :(

I'm sending screenshot to imagine how it's look like (nothing pretty)

2008/10/31 John Spackman <[hidden email]>:
> Hi Alex,
>
> IMHO it's not that HtmlArea itself is unusable, it's that it is often not
usable on its own; in order to integrate it into an application there needs
to be simple toolbars for bold/italic/etc but also more complex issues like:

> +. support for styles (H1, H2, etc as well as custom styles in SPAN
> +tags) - this requires some fairly involved code manipulating the DOM
> +. An image picker where the server can be browsed in some way . Other
> +dialogs for inputing and editing URLs etc
>
> The current demo makes HtmlArea look like a poor cousin to
FCKEditor/TinyMCE/etc and it's only when you look further that you realise
that HtmlArea is something _good_ but that is intended to be built upon.  I
only realised it when I got fed up with FCKEditor being so slow, and I'm not
the only one to make that mistake.

> Petr & I briefly raised these issues while you were on holiday (my
[slightly buggy] version is available here http://www.zenesis.com/qx/dev/)
and we discussed working on a contrib.

> I'd like to suggest that it becomes part of the HtmlArea contrib - anyone
who wants a drop-in user friendly editor uses the HtmlEditor class but
internally there's a clear separation between the toolbars etc and the
HtmlArea.  At the very least, it would be a great demo for the HtmlArea
control.

> What do you think?
>
> John

BSD (Modified) licence is most liberal licence for software. I think
that it should never be in conflict with anything. Personally I'm not
using GPL or LGPL licences, only BSD, MIT, Public Domain and similar
ones.

Just send me PM when you will be ready to colaborate on image chooser.
I have too little time now but for this I will make it:)

Cheers
- Petr

2008/10/31 John Spackman <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Petr,
>
> Yes please, that looks very cool but I'm worried that the licensing might
> conflict with the Qooxdoo and that might prevent it from being a contrib?  I
> am literally just off on holiday (I popped back into the office to get the
> hotel info and my g/f is not amused!) but I'll take this up again in a few
> weeks
>
> John

Have you some time o improve HtmlArea ?

I tried it, the focus bug is really out, but there are still few bugs
that making html area not so usable for me.

I try to describe them:

1. There is something wrong with first paragraph. When you try on
first focus to remove everything (use Ctrl+A and Delete) and then type
some text, there will not be paragraph.

For example I tried to set alignment and instead paragraph it will
create DIV. Here is some text output:

2. There is no full control over bold, italic, etc. I can toggle them,
but I can't set them for example to true or false that's bad.

3. I don't know how to control styles and allow styles.

4. I don't know how to use CSS style in HtmlArea, because documents
are usually edited like web preview.

Only 4 points now, I can continue when these wil be solved (there are
critical for me)

What do you thing ?

Cheers
- Petr