How the right step for using Qooxdoo

jhonny thio
Hi...
For using qooxdoo, I usually use the qx.js from the qooxdoo sdk\Quickstart.

Example :
I have folder = D:\Qooxdoo
Then I put the qx.js in folder D:\Qooxdoo\Script
Then I make index.html in folder D:\Qooxdoo.
The content of index.html :

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">
<head>
  <title>Quickstart</title>

  <!-- Use settings to configure application -->
  <script type="text/javascript">
    qxsettings = { "qx.application" : "Application" };
  </script>

  <!-- Include compiled qooxdoo -->
  <script type="text/javascript" src="script/qx.js"></script>

  <!-- Add your own classes here -->
  <script type="text/javascript">

    qx.Class.define("Application",
    {
      extend : qx.application.Standalone,

      members :
      {
            main : function()
            {
              // Call super class
              this.base(arguments);

              // Create button
              var button1 = new qx.ui.form.Button("First Button", "./button.png");

              // Add button to document with coordinates
              this.getRoot().add(button1, {
                left : 50,
                top : 50
              });

              // Add an event listener
              button1.addListener("execute", function(e) {
                alert("Hello World!");

  </script>
</head>

The problem is the qx.js from quickstart is not complete, there are some class that not in there..

From where I can get the *.js that contains all class in qooxdoo (The complete version)?
And please tell me the right step for start using qooxdoo.

Thank you very much

Re: How the right step for using Qooxdoo

Alexander Back
Hi Jhonny,

to create an own application you could use a skeleton as a template for
your own application. See the documentation
http://qooxdoo.org/documentation/0.7/skeleton for further details. This
is also a good start point for gaining knowledge about developing
applications with qooxdoo.

By using the skeleton structure you can use the powerful tool chain of
qooxdoo. The build process generates a javascript file with every class
your application needs. You do not have to worry about any missing
classes. It's all done for you automagically ;)

cheers,
   Alex

jhonny thio wrote:

> Hi...
> For using qooxdoo, I usually use the qx.js from the qooxdoo sdk\Quickstart.
>
> Example :
> I have folder = D:\Qooxdoo
> Then I put the qx.js in folder D:\Qooxdoo\Script
> Then I make index.html in folder D:\Qooxdoo.
> The content of index.html :
>
> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">
> <head>
>   <title>Quickstart</title>
>
>   <!-- Use settings to configure application -->
>   <script type="text/javascript">
>     qxsettings = { "qx.application" : "Application" };
>   </script>
>
>   <!-- Include compiled qooxdoo -->
>   <script type="text/javascript" src="script/qx.js"></script>
>
>   <!-- Add your own classes here -->
>   <script type="text/javascript">
>
>     qx.Class.define("Application",
>     {
>       extend : qx.application.Standalone,
>
>       members :
>       {
>             main : function()
>             {
>               // Call super class
>               this.base(arguments);
>
>               // Create button
>               var button1 = new qx.ui.form.Button("First Button", "./button.png");
>
>               // Add button to document with coordinates
>               this.getRoot().add(button1, {
>                 left : 50,
>                 top : 50
>               });
>
>               // Add an event listener
>               button1.addListener("execute", function(e) {
>                 alert("Hello World!");
>               });
>             }
>           }
>         });
>
>   </script>
> </head>
>

> The problem is the qx.js from quickstart is not complete, there are some class that not in there..
>
>>From where I can get the *.js that contains all class in qooxdoo (The complete version)?
> And please tell me the right step for start using qooxdoo.
>
> Thank you very much

> just about anything Open Source.

Re: How the right step for using Qooxdoo

Petr Kobalíček
Hi,

this was my problem when starting too. I have Windows and Linux and cygwin under Windows doesn't work well for me (because I have installed some other dev tools and there was for example conflicting make).

My solution is one makefile for everything in qooxdoo without themes and icons. The full qooxdoo build with some debug info is 950KB that's acceptable for me.

I'm doing this, because I'm using qooxdoo for admin interface of our application and there are 'modules', so I need everything that these modules can use.

I'm thinking to create some pages about qooxdoo where I will upload this starting stuff and some group of controls I'm developed, but I haven't so much time to public this stuff:)

jhonny thio wrote:
> Hi...
> For using qooxdoo, I usually use the qx.js from the qooxdoo sdk\Quickstart.
>
> Example :
> I have folder = D:\Qooxdoo
> Then I put the qx.js in folder D:\Qooxdoo\Script
> Then I make index.html in folder D:\Qooxdoo.
> The content of index.html :
>
> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">
> <head>
>   <title>Quickstart</title>
>
>   <!-- Use settings to configure application -->
>   <script type="text/javascript">
>     qxsettings = { "qx.application" : "Application" };
>   </script>
>
>   <!-- Include compiled qooxdoo -->
>   <script type="text/javascript" src="script/qx.js"></script>
>
>   <!-- Add your own classes here -->
>   <script type="text/javascript">
>
>     qx.Class.define("Application",
>     {
>       extend : qx.application.Standalone,
>
>       members :
>       {
>             main : function()
>             {
>               // Call super class
>               this.base(arguments);
>
>               // Create button
>               var button1 = new qx.ui.form.Button("First Button", "./button.png");
>
>               // Add button to document with coordinates
>               this.getRoot().add(button1, {
>                 left : 50,
>                 top : 50
>               });
>
>               // Add an event listener
>               button1.addListener("execute", function(e) {
>                 alert("Hello World!");
>               });
>             }
>           }
>         });
>
>   </script>
> </head>
>

> The problem is the qx.js from quickstart is not complete, there are some class that not in there..
>
>>From where I can get the *.js that contains all class in qooxdoo (The complete version)?
> And please tell me the right step for start using qooxdoo.
>
> Thank you very much

> just about anything Open Source.

Re: How the right step for using Qooxdoo

Alexander Back
Hi Petr,

petr kobalicek wrote:
> This is problem for me. I have only ideas how to create something that will
> work for me and decrease future typing, but I don't no if my coding style
> fits qooxdoo standard.
Your example looks straightforward for solving your specific problem. It
is good to see how easy it is to develop own widgets in qooxdoo.
For the matter of coding style: you can run "make pretty" to
pretty-print your application classes. This little helper also inserts
automatically JSDoc fragments for each of your methods and it's a first
step towards using the API Viewer for own project. Just run a "make api"
to generate the API for your application classes and all used qooxdoo
classes as well.

> I'm using this to create group of buttons, for example i form, in popup
> window, etc. But if you look at the code, it's very specific for my needs.
> The idea is to create group of buttons like this:
>
> group = new bfly.parts.ButtonGroup(["ok", "cancel"]);
> group.getButton("ok").addEventListener(...);
>
> Maybe idea for others or qooxdoo team how simple widgets some people needs
> to reduce typing:)
We appreciate such feedback. Maybe such widgets are not integrated in
the qooxdoo framework itself, but the qooxdoo-contrib project is just
the right place for such widgets. If your GroupBox widget is modified a
little bit towards being a little more generic this would be a good
candidate for qooxdoo-contrib. If it helps you in your application
development it sure helps other developers as well.

> But, the question is, are there anywhere similar widgets for qooxdoo ? If
> not, why ? I thing that some complete witgets can popularize the framework
> itself. Look at the people, they are chosing frameworks if they find there
> widgets they need :-)
Of course you are right. Widgets play an important role to people when
it comes to picking a framework. The qooxdoo framework itself contains
more generic/basic widgets. As I mentioned before the qooxdoo-contrib
project is the right place for such more specific widgets and this
project also acts as an incubator for the qooxdoo project. Integrating a
widget of the qooxdoo-contrib project into the framework should be no
problem. However integrating widgets of the contrib project into your
application is also a real no-brainer :)
-> http://qooxdoo.org/documentation/contrib/using_contributions

> So if I will create something that will be useful for others, I very likely
> share it. I like open source community and open source licences like MIT:)
Be aware of that qooxdoo uses a dual-license of LGPL and EPL.
For more infos about contributing code:
-> http://qooxdoo.org/documentation/contrib/contributing

cheers,
   Alex